Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Rotary Joysticks and MAME  (Read 7558 times)

Chris Welk

• Trade Count: (0)
Rotary Joysticks and MAME
« on: June 19, 2002, 10:35:13 pm »
I'm looking to build a 4-player cabinet, but I want to use 2 rotary style joysticks for the P1 and P2 controls for games such as Guerilla War, Ikari Warrior, etc.  Since MAME uses a clockwise and counter-clockwise button to rotate the character does anyone know how this can be done?  Would I need to use an OPTI-PAC with this or would I be able to simulate the keypresses according to the rotation of the joystick using just an I-PAC?

Any Ideas?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by 1026619200 »

JustMichael

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 27, 2015, 01:19:40 am
  • Mmmmm!! Cheesecake!!
Re: Rotary Joysticks and MAME
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2002, 11:28:28 pm »
If you mean click-type rotary joysticks, go to http://connect.to/rotary

If you mean the optical-type rotary joysticks, those are like spinners and can be interfaced with an Opti-PAC

bhille

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 02, 2003, 11:39:40 pm
  • Be the ball...err...be the arcade machine...
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2002, 07:09:03 am »
Does it matter which you use?  I mean, are there any advantages in running the button type versus the optical type?

Brian

u_rebelscum

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2010, 03:06:26 pm
  • You rebel scum
    • Mame:Analog+
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2002, 01:48:18 pm »
Does it matter which you use?  I mean, are there any advantages in running the button type versus the optical type?

Brian

The button type: you can feel the click, like in SNK games with LS-30 rotary joysticks.  But you need the extra hardware JustMicheal linked to.  With that hardware, acts like two buttons (but mame treats the input as analog, so you need to fiddle with your settings to get a one click=one turn in the games, and some people have problems getting the right settings.)

The optical type: no clicks, smooth like a mouse.  Better for ForgottenWorlds and other games that used a spinner button or spinner.  Acts like a mouse with one axis.

And since mame simulates both types with a mouse input, and the optical one is basically a mouse with one axis, the optical one is "easier" to setup and use.

I would want the feel of the SNK LS-30 had in the arcades, so I lean toward getting the button type one.  But it's your cp and your preferences.
Robin
Knowledge is Power

Tiger-Heli

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 03, 2018, 02:19:23 pm
  • Ron Howard? . . . er, I mean . . . Run, Coward!!!
    • Tiger-Heli
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2002, 06:48:24 am »
Saint, please add this info to the main BYOAC page.  This is about the third time I've answered it, (OTOH, I tend to think it through more each time, so the info gets better).

First off, if you are using any of the mechanical (click) joysticks, you will want mc-escher's source files and a custom compile.  Rotary patch files are available at http://www.cryptnet1.net/mame/ and MAME R59 source files are available from http://www.mame.dk/emulators/.  (Delete the two -werror flags from the make file to get it to compile).

What Urebelscum said is all right on, but the opto-rotaries are generally a better overall solution.  You have 4 (realistically 3) choices of sticks/interfaces.  There isn't a right/wrong solution.  Your decision should be based on a)  how much do you want to spend.  b)  what interface method can you support, and c) will this be a stand-alone (rotary only) solution or do you want to play other games on it as well.

Here is what I would recommend overall, and then I will provide details/justifications later:

1) prototype stick - best all around.
2) Happ opto-rotaries - generally a more rounded solution, best solution if the rotary joysticks will be your main sticks and money is a factor.
3) Happ mechanical rotaries and Druin's interface - best solution if price is no object, true arcade feel is important, and you want these to be your main sticks.
4) SNK LS-30's and Druin's interface - best solution if you can use a separate panel for rotary games only.

Now the details on each option:

Prototype stick - Not available.  This is an option that another BYOAC'er and I are working on.  It is a modified Happ stick with two additional microswitches, a click-feel and no additional interface, except for the two additional encoder inputs.  Unfortunately the guy that's building them will not have time to make them commercially available.  I don't have time/fabrication tools to make them commercially available, and they haven't even been built yet.  If we get them working, we might look at finding a way to make them available.  Approximate cost was estimated at $50.00- $60.00 per stick.

Happ opto rotaries - Sticks ($40.00 each), Opti-Pac ($40.00) or Gutted USB Mouse ($5.00).  The main advantage of this stick is that it is based on the Happ Super so it plays fine for non-rotary games.  Also, since the opti-pac will probably be required for a trackball or spinner (and can simultaneously support two trackballs and four spinners with auto-switching), the ADDITIONAL interface cost is FREE.  The disadvantage is that it lacks the click-click feel of the true rotaries.

Happ mechanical rotaries - Sticks ($40.00 each)  Druin's interface ($68.00).  This is also based on the Happ super, so it also plays well for non-rotary games.  Note that Druin's interface requires an external +5V source.  The main drawback here is price.  It's hard to justify $150.00 just to play a dozen or so games in MAME.

SNK LS-30's - Sticks ($15.00 each) Druin's interface ($68.00).  Again, note that Druin's interface requires an external +5V source.  The problem with this solution is that these sticks do not perform well in non-rotary games.  The plus side is this is the cheapest arcade perfect solution.  If you can afford a separate control panel just for your rotary joystick games, then go with this method.

Hope this helps!!!  
It's not what you take when you leave this world behind you, it's what you leave behind you when you go. - R. Travis.
When all is said and done, generally much more is SAID than DONE.

Chris Welk

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2002, 11:49:54 am »
Saint, please add this info to the main BYOAC page.