Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Side scrolling Helicopter game from the mid 1980's?  (Read 9058 times)

Tumerboy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 09, 2023, 01:06:11 pm
Side scrolling Helicopter game from the mid 1980's?
« on: August 07, 2010, 03:22:18 am »
I'm trying to remember an old arcade game I always remember playing at the movie theatre when I was a kid.

It was a sidescrolling helicopter game. I vaguely remember flying around and looking for little pixel dudes waving to me. I would land near them, they'd run over and then later on I'd drop them all off at a base or something?

I figure you guys will know what I'm thinking of in mere seconds, but I can't think of the name for the life of me.

Thanks
-Nick

tommyinajar

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 15, 2023, 12:23:20 pm
  • My other cab is a Cube Quest
Re: Side scrolling Helicopter game from the mid 1980's?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2010, 03:47:15 am »
Choplifter.

Ginsu Victim

• Yeah, owning a MAME cab only leads to owning real ones. MAME just isn't good enough. It's a gateway drug.
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 08, 2023, 02:40:58 pm
  • Comanche, OK -- USA
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2010, 11:32:22 am »

Tumerboy

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 09, 2023, 01:06:11 pm
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2010, 02:31:22 pm »
Indeed it is, thanks guys!
Although the screenshots I can find of the "arcade" version look like much better graphics than I remember playing.  

I don't remember this:

What I remember playing looked more like this:

Though I never had an atari home system.  

Were there a couple of arcade versions?

We did have Apple IIe's at school that we played some games on, but I don't remember playing this there.  Maybe I'm just mixing up a couple of different games/memories?

Getting older sucks! :P

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 09, 2024, 07:27:18 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2010, 02:33:03 pm »
the nintendo version looked like ---steaming pile of meadow muffin---.

EDIT: added pic, hotlinked
« Last Edit: August 07, 2010, 02:46:35 pm by Malenko »
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

tommyinajar

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 15, 2023, 12:23:20 pm
  • My other cab is a Cube Quest
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2010, 02:43:27 pm »
The one I played for hours on an Apple //c looked state of the art (in  green).

Blanka

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 25, 2018, 03:19:28 pm
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2010, 02:47:19 pm »
Choplifter was ---steaming pile of meadow muffin---. At the camping in Denmark they had Tiger Heli WOOT!

gaijinking

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 13, 2015, 09:17:57 pm
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2010, 04:04:07 pm »
Hey guys,
I hope I'm not breaking any forum rules by posting a link to this thread over on another forum, but I was using this post as an example for my suggestion of a feature request to Hyperspin.
I don't know if any of you guys are running, or have tried Hyperspin yet, but I'm absolutely blown away by it. And I can't believe it's such complete robust FE , even though it's still a somewhat still in development with a growing features list. Anyhow I digress, here is a link to my post:
http://www.hyperspin-fe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9071
and what I wrote:
*arcade ports/other system versions available- feature request?
"Everyone that plays with my Hyperspin setup is always blown away by how complete the experience is, that I've started introducing it as "the History of Video Games" in a box. The first thing I do is ask them, "name a game, ANY game," and of course withing a few seconds of navigation I can quickly produce instant nostalgia. However, occasionally, I find that people remember a specific version or port of their favorite games more than others, but they don't remember which system it was on. Or they're surprised to find one of the favorites available on a system they didn't even know it existed for. So, I've been thinking about this for awhile now, and I was wondering if it would be possible to add a ports or other versions available button to themes of games that have multiple versions on various systems. For example, let's say on the Donkey Kong theme, if there were an "* other versions available*" message below the rom name. If there were a "versions" button you could press to choose an alternate version of Donkey Kong for Atari 2600/Atari 7800/ColecoVision/Commodore 64/ Intellivision/Game Boy Advance/NES
This could be done by having a new wheel pop up with the system names or even just as simple as a pop up screen (like the add to favorites one) that lists available alternate versions from other wheels. This would make for a quick and easy way to jump between versions without having to navigate back to the main menu, choose a different system, and then find the title.
And it would help those with a foggy memory like mine, when I can't always remember what systems a game might have been ported to.
I definitely agree with BBB that I like having hyperspin as simple as possible, but I think there could be a simple way to add a feature like this without mucking up the interface and really adding to the "complete" arcade experience.
Has anyone else dreamed of having a feature like this? I'd think that this would be a feature alot of people would like to see. Let me know what you guys think?"

and if anyone here is a Hyperspin user please post if you like this feature request...

Dazz

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 30, 2024, 10:34:39 am
  • HyperSpin Team
    • VPUniverse
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2010, 04:43:44 pm »
Honestly, I wouldn't use that feature... However, nothing should be able to stop you from creating such a list on your own.

Muz355

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 01, 2018, 07:39:59 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: Side scrolling Helicopter game from the mid 1980's? Chased by Jets!
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2018, 07:40:31 am »
Looking for the name of a side scrolling helicopter shoot em up where at some point in the game the helicopter would speed up and get chased by jet fighters - with rock music blaring in the background. If any one knows the name of this game it would be much appreciated.

Thanks all

Haze

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 04, 2023, 08:30:02 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
    • MAME Development Blog
Re: Side scrolling Helicopter game from the mid 1980's? Chased by Jets!
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2018, 12:13:30 pm »
Looking for the name of a side scrolling helicopter shoot em up where at some point in the game the helicopter would speed up and get chased by jet fighters - with rock music blaring in the background. If any one knows the name of this game it would be much appreciated.

Thanks all

Helicopter + Rock Music = Twin Eagle

There were even some improvements to the audio emulation on it in MAME 0.201

not sure it was worth necrobumping an 8 year old thread tho
« Last Edit: September 01, 2018, 12:16:04 pm by Haze »