Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: "DOOM'D!" -- A return to Super Turbo Turkey Puncher 3  (Read 125567 times)

Rick

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 09, 2023, 01:16:55 pm
  • Bartop, Cocktail and Pinball Arcade Cabinets
    • Gameroom Designs Canada
Re: "DOOM'D!" -- Super Turbo Turkey Puncher 3
« Reply #160 on: November 04, 2010, 08:27:06 pm »
Top mounting won't work for me.  The art I'll be using in between the control panel top and the plexi will be minimal - and by minimal, I mean some button surround graphics (see page 2 maybe of this thread) and a small 2-3" grey circle (that's new) around the joystick.  The rest of the control panel will be the red it's painted, so I need a perfectly smooth surface.

I will be going with your recommendation, however, in routing the ~1/8" dust washer indentation, and I'm going to see if I route anything out of the bottom...  ...right now, that's up in the air.  I'll test for comfort first, and then decide.

eds1275

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2024, 02:31:34 pm
  • Rock and Roll!
« Reply #161 on: November 05, 2010, 01:24:37 pm »
Put that box of scraps to use and try out a few things!

Rick

• Offline Offline
« Reply #162 on: November 05, 2010, 02:15:48 pm »
So, I'm outside in my work area at lunch, when I notice my hands are covered in blood.

Let me start at the beginning.

;D

I went home for lunch, and stopped at the Dollar Store to pickup a bunch of plastic tarps and vinyl ties.  My back deck has a gazebo-style deck shade which is basically like a tent with no sides, so my Wife recommended blocking off the sides with cheap tarps (4' x 6' at $1.25 ea. can't be beat) so that I could work without much of the elements in my way.  So, I'm installing the tarps and covering off the sides, putting the vinyl ties through the tarp holes, and attaching them to the pipe supports.  Anyhow, I notice that there's a dark stain on the vinyl tie I'm working with, and think, "Damn, that's dirty looking."  I look down, and notice that there is blood all over my hands.  It seems that there must have been a burr or something on one of the vinyl ties, as I have a ~2mm cut in the tip of my thumb.  It's kind of like a paper cut, only I'd say it was also about 2mm deep.  Anyway, the damn thing won't stop bleeding, so I pop back into the house and find a Band-Aid.  Hmm, this one has Barbie on it.  Well, I guess it'll have to do.

Finally, after getting everything put up, and finding I had a nice, dry environment, I decided to try it out.  I got my control panel from inside the house, put a new piece of sandpaper on my electric sander, and went to work.  After about 10 minutes of sanding and touch-ups, I cleaned up all the dust, and thought it was about time for some paint.  I got my can of spray primer out, and went to town.  Damn, does that MDF ever suck up the primer!  I got a nice, light coat onto her, and immediately, I could see some of the fill/sanding that would need to be touched up again.  (It's amazing what that first coat of primer will show you!)  I brought the control panel back into my 'drying room' (also known as the downstairs bathroom) where the cat wouldn't jump on it, and came back in to the office.

I'll post up some pics later on...  ...when my digital camera finishes charging and warming back up.  (Funny story - I was outside sanding last night, and noticed my digital camera ON THE GROUND!  Yes, as it turns out, my three year old Son, the photographer, had left it out about a week ago after taking pictures of everything but me working.  The 'good news' is that it still turns on, and the lens extends, so hopefully, all will be well when I go to take more pics.)

;D

Rick

• Offline Offline
« Reply #163 on: November 06, 2010, 12:07:22 pm »
This thread is useless without pics.

I'm very impressed with the first layer of primer.  If you look really closely, you'll see some black and white versions of the art for the top.  (...and yes, I still have yet to fix the P2 joystick hole.)

Donkbaca

• Our reptillian overlords would be pleased
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 09, 2012, 06:28:10 pm
    • Slim built MAME/Xbox cab
« Reply #164 on: November 06, 2010, 01:20:43 pm »
Very nice. I still think the joystick looks short though :)
Don't worry about the P2 joystick hole. The dust washer will cover it

Rick

• Offline Offline
« Reply #165 on: November 06, 2010, 01:32:21 pm »
Very nice. I still think the joystick looks short though :) Don't worry about the P2 joystick hole. The dust washer will cover it.

They look short, but they feel good.  I'm happy with they way they turned out, and when I'm ready to go balltop, hopefully RandyT has something I can put on there.  (Sorry, Randy - the chrome ones won't work for me.  I need black balltops.)

;)

When I route out the dust washer holes (they're going under plexi and art) I'll fix it all up with the router.

push2reject

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 28, 2014, 06:55:40 pm
« Reply #166 on: November 06, 2010, 02:52:36 pm »
This thread is useless without pics.

I'm very impressed with the first layer of primer.  If you look really closely, you'll see some black and white versions of the art for the top.  (...and yes, I still have yet to fix the P2 joystick hole.)

Wow, very clean!  I actually just purchased a copy of Doom 3 and its expansion pack on eBay a couple weeks ago.  This cab got me thinking about how I really loved Doom and Quake back in the day.  I missed out on this game when it first came out cause I didn't have the hardware to push it.  I discovered the cabinet in the first level of the game and played for about 45 minutes.  I was able to extract the textures for the cabinet from the game.  PM me if you need a copy of them.
On the other side of the screen, it all looks so easy.  -Kevin Flynn

severdhed

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 07, 2022, 04:45:32 pm
  • RIP Dinosaur Hippo
« Reply #167 on: November 08, 2010, 10:22:59 pm »
i love this project, it just doesn't get any cooler than this.
Current Projects:      Zak-Man | TMNT Pedestal | SNES Pi | N64 Odroid
Former Projects:     4 Player Showcase | Donkey Kong | iCade

Rick

• Offline Offline
« Reply #168 on: November 08, 2010, 10:32:40 pm »
i love this project, it just doesn't get any cooler than this.

Just wait for the next pics. I painted my first coat of "Colonial Red" tonight. (It went on a bit too heavy, so I'll save you the pics with the runs until I can do a bit of sanding and another, lighter top coat.)

To give you and idea, I thought the primer looked amazing - the red... ...omg, the red. It makes it.

I'll try and knock off some pics tomorrow, if I'm very lucky.

Thanks very much for the kind words!!!

BurgerKingDiamond

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 01, 2021, 11:12:14 am
« Reply #169 on: November 09, 2010, 09:07:49 am »
I flush mounted my happ sticks at first and I ended up taking apart my panel so I could recess them with a router. So I personally would also recommend finding some way to get them recessed. It's one of those things that you'll probably regret not doing now. just my 2 cents. The panel looks SWEET.
-Welcome to the Fantasy Zone.

Rick

• Offline Offline
« Reply #170 on: November 09, 2010, 09:59:24 am »
I flush mounted my happ sticks at first and I ended up taking apart my panel so I could recess them with a router. So I personally would also recommend finding some way to get them recessed. It's one of those things that you'll probably regret not doing now. just my 2 cents. The panel looks SWEET.

If the top was removable, I would definitely be routing it out.  As it is, I do have plans to replace the battops with balltops, so I'll be investigating replacement shafts at the same time.  This should give me the length I'll be comfortable with, as well as keep the strength of the MDF.

After looking at the new (red!) paint in the light, there are some sections where I believe I have some serious sanding to do...  ...as it looks like the primer didn't adhere perfectly to them.  They're rough, as it looks like the fibres in the wood soaked up the paint and have become rough. Interestingly enough, these areas also look like they're unpainted - even after 2 coats of primer and one of the red.  Otherwise, the finish is nice and smooth.  (Not as smooth as it will be, mind you, as I do plan on some wet sanding and then finishing up with some glaze, but it's surprisingly smooth - much nicer than I thought it would come out.  It feels like plastic - not much like wood anymore.)

I hope to do another coat tonight - but I might do the sanding and re-prime these areas first.  I'm not certain how to go about it, actually.  If I sand them down, do I need to re-prime them, or can I simply do a light sand, and then recoat with the red?

Decisions, decisions.

:D

BurgerKingDiamond

• Offline Offline
« Reply #171 on: November 09, 2010, 10:43:21 am »
ugh. I hate painting.

Rick

• Offline Offline
« Reply #172 on: November 09, 2010, 10:50:03 am »
ugh. I hate painting.

Me too.  I know where one of my mistakes was last night, and that was that I should have taken more care to make sure there was no bare wood showing through from under the primer.  That, and the fact that I did see some runs start, tells me that I was too anxious and applied the first coat a little too heavy.

I am happy with the fact that, because there's so much to do, it seems there's never a shortage of stuff to work on.  I've got the majority, if not all, of the graphics complete for printing, and have determined that the preliminary prints will be done by Staples.  All in all, you can't beat the $21 price tag I've got for my marquee, control panel graphics, and miscellaneous other prints.  I do realize I won't get the glow through as I would going with Game On Graphics, but if I don't like the result, I will be investing more in a proper marquee print, don't you worry.

As it is, while waiting for the control panel to dry, I did some work on sample screens for Maximus Arcade.  I've been doing my research, and thanks to The Doom Wiki article named, "References to Classic Doom in Doom 3", there's actually a screenshot of the exact location that the Super Turbo Turkey Puncher 3 game had grabbed the texture from...

I did a little bit of cleanup, cropping out much of the scoreboard, and doing some 'creative editing' to remove the crosshairs and med kits, I got this...

Crop it all up, and then I could edit in some of the required graphics.  First the startup screen...

...then the Emulator Selection screen...

...followed by the Game Selection screen...

I really love that I found the original Doom fonts, as they really make the screenshots look authentic.  I copied the colours from the original Doom as well (red fonts with deeper red outlines) to keep it all in line, as well.  I might have to do some editing of the cabinet positioning and size, to fit in line with the front end graphics, but I'm excited to see what it will all look like with the interface.  I have not yet begun the actual generation of the front end theme, but I'll do some research and see what I can find out.

Donkbaca

• Offline Offline
« Reply #173 on: November 09, 2010, 11:30:51 am »
Good luck with the painting, I hear painting MDF is a nightmare, that is why most MDF cabs are laminated.  Have you thought about using vinyl or red laminate instead of paint?  Then you could top mount your sticks :)  One thing to remember if you get longer shafts, you will have a different throw and they will feel different.  But hey, I don't want to beat a dead horse, if you like the way the stubby sticks feel, then no worries, I would just hate for you to do all this work and end up with something sub optimal in your controls, which is the most important part of the build because that is the part that you actually use to interface with the machine

LOVE, LOVE LOVE the work on the front end.

Rick

• Offline Offline
« Reply #174 on: November 09, 2010, 12:31:05 pm »
Good luck with the painting, I hear painting MDF is a nightmare, that is why most MDF cabs are laminated.  Have you thought about using vinyl or red laminate instead of paint?  Then you could top mount your sticks :)

It would be nigh impossible, if only because of the strange angles everywhere on my cab.  The multiple level, semi-circular sides alone will be a nightmare, I'm sure.  I'm sure someone, somewhere must have the skills to cut the laminate templates for my project, but I certainly don't.  I'm going to take my work with the control panel as experience, and (hopefully) not make the same mistakes going forward.  I figure, if I can get the filler and primer to cover all areas, and as long as I don't rush to the painting stage, I should be all good.

Ninja Edit:  From this article here, they give a good idea for filling the edges that I hadn't considered:

The only real difficulty that arises when painting MDF is what to do about the edges, which are more porous than the surface -- similar to the end grain of lumber -- and drink in most of the finish. I've known woodworkers who go to the trouble of edge-banding the MDF. That approach takes more time than the method I prefer, and, no matter how well the edge-banding has been applied and trimmed, a seam still may show at the very edge.  I use drywall compound to fill the edges, whether they are cut squarely or shaped with a router bit, and I apply the compound liberally with a finger or with the palm of my hand. Unlike spackle or conventional wood putties, drywall compound has a soupy texture, so it's a little sloppy going on. But after it dries, it sands off easily.

I might just try that - God knows, I have a huge bucket of drywall compound from the bathroom reno.

One thing to remember if you get longer shafts, you will have a different throw and they will feel different.  But hey, I don't want to beat a dead horse, if you like the way the stubby sticks feel, then no worries, I would just hate for you to do all this work and end up with something sub optimal in your controls, which is the most important part of the build because that is the part that you actually use to interface with the machine

Good thinking.  I hadn't thought of it that way.  I'll continue along - status quo - and if I need to change it later, I'm really no further behind.  It could be a bit of a challenge, but I'm sure it will all work out, if I do decide to go ahead with it.

LOVE, LOVE LOVE the work on the front end.

Thanks!  Now all I have to do is figure out how to bring my dream to life!  (Those were done in a graphics program - the Maximus Theme Editor is quite another story, it would seem.)
« Last Edit: November 09, 2010, 12:36:23 pm by Rick »

newkillergenius

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 21, 2013, 03:48:35 pm
  • A mind is a terrible thing to taste.
    • The Mystery Revealed!
« Reply #175 on: November 09, 2010, 12:40:42 pm »
Looking great man.  Good job with the graphics.  :applaud:

Don't ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- where you eat, my friend.

BurgerKingDiamond

• Offline Offline
« Reply #176 on: November 09, 2010, 01:26:03 pm »
I was all ready to laminate my cab. Until I found out how much laminate costs....

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:19:17 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #177 on: November 09, 2010, 01:27:22 pm »
The front end looks great, Rick! Good job!
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

Rick

• Offline Offline
« Reply #178 on: November 09, 2010, 01:32:34 pm »
The front end looks great, Rick! Good job!

Thanks!

And, HOLY HECK!  I'm working with the Maximus Arcade Theme Editor as we speak, and I think I've figured the darn thing out!  (If I'm able to post a vid of it in action, I will as soon as I can.  It's looking good so far...)

Rick

• Offline Offline
« Reply #179 on: November 09, 2010, 04:33:23 pm »
I love replying to my own posts.

;D

I must say that Maximus Theme Editor is AMAZING.  It's got a bit of a learning curve, but I got the hang of it, and (shy of one error message about a missing sprite) I just completed my first skin.  I still have some tweaking to do, as I want it to be perfect (heard that before, right?) and have the joysticks and buttons on the face of the cabinet.  Hopefully, by tomorrow, I should have a nice little vid of it in action.  Maybe.  Maybe just screenshots.

Stoked again.  I'm really happy with the way this is turning out.  I was concerned that I'd have to get all XML up in the house, but the Theme Editor made short work of what I wanted to do.

Two thumbs up!

:laugh:

KagatoAMV

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 23, 2020, 02:13:32 pm
« Reply #180 on: November 09, 2010, 04:34:44 pm »
I've started looking at Maximus even as I'm working with Mala.

Donkbaca

• Offline Offline
« Reply #181 on: November 09, 2010, 05:01:07 pm »
Let me know how working with Maximus is.  I decided to go GAMEEX since from what I hear MA is a dead project and Game Ex seems to have tons of support behind it and has been pretty easy to use so far

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #182 on: November 09, 2010, 05:08:51 pm »
I'm using AtomicFE because I can do some fun stuff with it, but it's nowhere near as polished as Maximus.

JustMichael

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 27, 2015, 01:19:40 am
  • Mmmmm!! Cheesecake!!
« Reply #183 on: November 09, 2010, 06:45:58 pm »
All this work and you still haven't punched one turkey?  Thanksgiving is sneaking up fast!

Honestly the work so far is totally incredible!  I wonder what the game designers would think of your cabinet when it is done?

Rick

• Offline Offline
« Reply #184 on: November 09, 2010, 07:11:08 pm »
All this work and you still haven't punched one turkey?  Thanksgiving is sneaking up fast!

Honestly the work so far is totally incredible!  I wonder what the game designers would think of your cabinet when it is done?

I appreciate that, thanks!  I've sent twitter messages to id software and John Carmack, but so far, nada. I'm sure once I'm done, Kotaku and perhaps Attack of the Show might like it.

;)

Ond

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 18, 2024, 11:41:19 pm
« Reply #185 on: November 09, 2010, 07:22:18 pm »
Good luck with the painting, I hear painting MDF is a nightmare, that is why most MDF cabs are laminated. 

/Begin Rant  I don't how many times I've seen questions and different approaches to preparing and painting MDF. 
Getting a good result with MDF need not be a horror story, just a process that addresses the nature of the material.  This is especially true for complex shapes, rounded corners etc.  Just a coat of primer and then a coat of paint will most likely result in the all too familiar finish folks refer to.

I wouldn't recommend using dry wall compound, MDF dust and glue, wood filler  :blah:  :blah: to prepare MDF for painting.  They are ALL too soft and porous for a good surface finish.  You can get a very good finish on MDF using auto products.  Non water based Auto Products people!   :lol  This means filling nail holes, pits etc with Bondo (or its equivalent), sand back and spray surface with Spray Putty (Pre-Primer treatment), then  Auto Primer, then paint.  Soaking up problems etc all disappear with this approach.  You also end up with a harder surface on which to sand, paint, polish etc.  My Goal with MDF or any construction material for that matter (including Plywood) is to end up with a surface where folks take a look and say "what’s that made out of?".  Leaving no clue as to the materials used.   You want that surface ready for any final look, metallic, glossy, plastic – whatever.   Is it expensive?  Well it’s more expensive than acrylic primer and home depot house paints.   If in doubt, check the results I got on my CP finish as an example.  /End Rant.

Looks like you are getting into it now Rick and working your way through the logistics of the Cabs various shape challenges.  Just as a thought, the side panels,  they don’t have to be really heavy, they could even be hollow and (relatively light).  Just thinking outside the box a bit.   
 :cheers:

Donkbaca

• Offline Offline
« Reply #186 on: November 09, 2010, 07:37:23 pm »
Good rant, however getting getting auto parts products, spray putty primer, auto primer and then painting sure sounds nightmarish to me! 

Rick

• Offline Offline
« Reply #187 on: November 09, 2010, 07:37:53 pm »
/Begin Rant  I don't how many times I've seen questions and different approaches to preparing and painting MDF.  
Getting a good result with MDF need not be a horror story, just a process that addresses the nature of the material.  This is especially true for complex shapes, rounded corners etc.  Just a coat of primer and then a coat of paint will most likely result in the all too familiar finish folks refer to.

I wouldn't recommend using dry wall compound, MDF dust and glue, wood filler  :blah:  :blah: to prepare MDF for painting.  They are ALL too soft and porous for a good surface finish.  You can get a very good finish on MDF using auto products.  Non water based Auto Products people!   :lol  This means filling nail holes, pits etc with Bondo (or its equivalent), sand back and spray surface with Spray Putty (Pre-Primer treatment), then  Auto Primer, then paint.  Soaking up problems etc all disappear with this approach.  You also end up with a harder surface on which to sand, paint, polish etc.  My Goal with MDF or any construction material for that matter (including Plywood) is to end up with a surface where folks take a look and say "what’s that made out of?".  Leaving no clue as to the materials used.   You want that surface ready for any final look, metallic, glossy, plastic – whatever.   Is it expensive?  Well it’s more expensive than acrylic primer and home depot house paints.   If in doubt, check the results I got on my CP finish as an example.  /End Rant.

Good to know!  I have maybe three or four small, dime-sized spots to deal with, so I'll see what I can do to fix them up using what I have at hand for now. I'm with you - I want people to wonder what it's made of too. I think I'm on track, as none of the seams are visible anymore. It's simply faces where the paint didn't 'stick'.

I will look into the auto products too for the bigger processes upcoming.

Looks like you are getting into it now Rick and working your way through the logistics of the Cabs various shape challenges.  Just as a thought, the side panels,  they don’t have to be really heavy, they could even be hollow and (relatively light).  Just thinking outside the box a bit.    
 :cheers:

I'm on it!  The internal 'semi-circle' sections within the side panels are only 4" in width, so yes, they're hollow. I have a 2"x2" frame being built up to support most of the structure.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2010, 07:42:32 pm by Rick »

BurgerKingDiamond

• Offline Offline
« Reply #188 on: November 09, 2010, 10:42:15 pm »
found this.

http://shoryuken.com/f177/how-paint-mdf-mirror-finish-worklog-191692/

exactly why I can never be a good painter. WAY too IMPATIENT..

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #189 on: November 09, 2010, 11:59:45 pm »
That's a fun ready, BKD, and I agree- I could never be THAT patient!

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 25, 2024, 08:10:48 pm
« Reply #190 on: November 10, 2010, 04:36:58 pm »
found this.

http://shoryuken.com/f177/how-paint-mdf-mirror-finish-worklog-191692/

exactly why I can never be a good painter. WAY too IMPATIENT..

That guy (in the shoryuken thread) spent all that time polishing the surface and it's sitting on top a soft layer of spackle that will most likely collapse if something sharp pokes it.  I'm with Ond on not using spackling, etc. on the edges.  I don't even trust glaze/spot putty.  I don't trust anything that doesn't harden completely.  It's a PITA to sand, but fiberglass resin rocks.

Ond

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 18, 2024, 11:41:19 pm
« Reply #191 on: November 10, 2010, 05:03:26 pm »
That guy (in the shoryuken thread) spent all that time polishing the surface and it's sitting on top a soft layer of spackle that will most likely collapse if something sharp pokes it.  I'm with Ond on not using spackling, etc. on the edges.  I don't even trust glaze/spot putty.  I don't trust anything that doesn't harden completely.  It's a PITA to sand, but fiberglass resin rocks.

Funny you should mention that, I thought exactly the same thing when I read that thread.

Rick

• Offline Offline
« Reply #192 on: November 11, 2010, 07:43:19 am »
A couple small updates, but a dramatic change for the better.  I've managed to paint the second coat of red on the control panel, masking off the sides for the gray, so that it doesn't get too thick.  First, a pic of the first coat.

(Damn.  I gotta get more light, or a better camera, or something.)  You will notice the small, whiter spots where the first coat didn't adhere.  It get's better.  Now, onto the pic of the second coat.

Neither of the pics really show it in all of its glory - they're from my BlackBerry - but I did manage to snap a few with my digital camera.  I just don't have it attached to my PC to DL them yet.  Maybe I'll make that a priority later today.  The one thing I hate is that the camera picks up every little nuance.  For example, the visible 'ridge' where the top meets the face?  Yeah, I run my fingers along that and you can't even feel it!  Yet, when the pics come out, there it is.  It just looks a bit sloppy to me in pics.  When I'm 'up close and personal', that's another story.  I love the panel so far.

One question I had for the experts.  The top of the control panel is nice and smooth, but from front to back, the paint layer is a different texture.  The front is smooth, almost 'thicker', with the plastic-look consistency I was hoping to have.  The back half is kind of 'spackly'...  ...so I'm leaning towards the fact that there might not be enough paint on there, but I'm not sure.  I have to fix it, but I'm not sure if I should do another water-sand on the face first, or just try another coat of spray?  (I guess doing another quick sand wouldn't be detrimental to what's there, anyway, would it?)

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 25, 2024, 08:10:48 pm
« Reply #193 on: November 11, 2010, 09:16:42 am »
Use your time at work today wisely and google articles about color sanding.  (I'd add a few more layers first if you think the paint is thin in areas)

I like to use simple green instead of water.  It keeps the sandpaper from clogging, but you do have to make sure all the residue has been removed when you are done.
To do that, just wipe it down with plain old rubbing alcohol using some type of lint free cloth.
The color will look dull, but even when you're done.  When you clearcoat it, the bright color will come back and POP!

Don't settle for that ridge showing.  Now is the time to take care of it.
I know you want to get the  :angry: thing done, but don't let something that's so easily fixed slide by at this stage.
I have a bad habit of doing an awesome job through 85% of a project, then half ***ing it the last 15% to just get it done.
Older and wiser men have told me to just stop at that point and go do something else until I feel like doing it right.
I've never taken their advice, but I though I'd pass it along to you anyway.  :P

Rick

• Offline Offline
« Reply #194 on: November 11, 2010, 09:22:03 am »
Don't settle for that ridge showing.  Now is the time to take care of it.

You're right.  I think that it needs a little bit more care.  I'm going to take the extra bit of time to make it right.

I know you want to get the  :angry: thing done, but don't let something that's so easily fixed slide by at this stage.  I have a bad habit of doing an awesome job through 85% of a project, then half ***ing it the last 15% to just get it done.  Older and wiser men have told me to just stop at that point and go do something else until I feel like doing it right.  I've never taken their advice, but I though I'd pass it along to you anyway.  :P

I know *exactly* what you mean.  I keep listening to my Wife saying, "WOW - that looks AMAZING", but I still keep staring at the little bits that I can see, and they are bothering me.  I'm totally with you.  It can be 'amazing' from everybody else's point of view, or it can be 'amazing' from mine.

Thanks for the opinion!  I just need a good kick in the butt every once in a while.

KagatoAMV

• Offline Offline
« Reply #195 on: November 11, 2010, 01:15:34 pm »
You should be able to hide that seam with multiple coats of paint, sanding in between. You might try just painting/sanding the seam area  few times to fill, then carefully sand the pain to blend in with the rest.

Rick

• Offline Offline
« Reply #196 on: November 11, 2010, 01:22:06 pm »
You should be able to hide that seam with multiple coats of paint, sanding in between. You might try just painting/sanding the seam area  few times to fill, then carefully sand the pain to blend in with the rest.

Hmm.  I never thought of that.  (I certainly hadn't thought of that before I went home for lunch today, and sanded the hell out of the face.)

:angry:   ;)   :D

I'll definitely use that idea - especially since it looks deceptively good right now, but I'm sure I noticed a slight seaming just as I left to come back to work, after it had about twenty minutes to dry.  The entire front portion has been re-sanded, and now, it looks a lot better.  There were a lot of high/low spots that the camera didn't catch, and neither did I, until small areas of paint started coming off before others.  I was totally surprised - one entire section had the paint raised right in the centre, and when I started cutting into it with the sandpaper, it took an additional ten minutes of scrubbing to get the centre 'fully flat' to match the rest.

It's now sitting at home with a newly primed face.  I hope to give it another quick sand tonight, and maybe another coat of primer.

KagatoAMV

• Offline Offline
« Reply #197 on: November 11, 2010, 01:34:37 pm »
Oh yeah, you'll almost always end up with some kind of "orange peal" effect when painting, sometimes they're more noticable then others, it is just a matter of applying a coat of paint, letting it dry, the sanding. Be sure to clean the dust away between sanding and painting. You can get a tack cloth to help with that.

When you say the paint is coming off, do you mean that it is drying, but then not sticking to the surface?

Rick

• Offline Offline
« Reply #198 on: November 11, 2010, 01:40:06 pm »
Oh yeah, you'll almost always end up with some kind of "orange peal" effect when painting, sometimes they're more noticable then others, it is just a matter of applying a coat of paint, letting it dry, the sanding. Be sure to clean the dust away between sanding and painting. You can get a tack cloth to help with that.

I hear you.  Every time I sand, I go about and clean the control panel as well as the tables and surrounding area.  And me, too, it would seem.  I'm usually covered in a nice layer of dust as well.

When you say the paint is coming off, do you mean that it is drying, but then not sticking to the surface?

Hmm.  Yeah, that was confusing.  What I meant was, when I started sanding one of the sections that looked 'pretty flat', the paint started coming off as I sanded in a semi-circular area.  There was a circle of white primer, with the red paint still visible in the centre, when I was sanding.  I used a sanding block to make sure I was, in fact, working with a 'flat' surface, and it took more than a bit of pressure and time for the area to be flat once again.  By that time, mind you, I was back to bare wood, without any primer to be seen.

Rick

• Offline Offline
« Reply #199 on: November 15, 2010, 08:04:13 pm »
So, today I learned - the hard way - two valuable lessons. One, never trust a tool to act the same way it did on the second pass the way it did on the first. The second (very obvious) lesson is, don't use a finished control panel as a cutting guide for your plexi.

:angry:

I clamped my plexi to my panel, and used my flush trim bit to cut it to shape. On the first pass, I must have gone a bit quick in sections, as the plexi had melted a bit. So, I went back over it, and cut again. Well, two things happened. One, I cut right into the paint for some reason (the depth of the bit hadn't changed!) and two, a section of melted plexi wouldn't cut... ...as it seems to have glued itself to the panel!!!

I can't tell you how mad I am right now. I have to sand AGAIN and paint AGAIN!!!

(Lessons learned I guess.)