Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: "DOOM'D!" -- A return to Super Turbo Turkey Puncher 3  (Read 125593 times)

Rick

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 09, 2023, 01:16:55 pm
  • Bartop, Cocktail and Pinball Arcade Cabinets
    • Gameroom Designs Canada
Re: "DOOMED!" -- Super Turbo Turkey Puncher 3 (Updated 2010.10.18)
« Reply #120 on: October 18, 2010, 03:59:14 pm »
Keep the faith- so far so good   :cheers:

Oh, no worries there!  I'm still stoked.

;D

I'm happy to say that I've got a bucket full of scrap 5/8" and 3/4" MDF that I'll be going back to.  (Repeatedly, I'm sure!)  I'm really happy that everything has come out as good as it has so far, so a couple small setbacks are very little.  I know that I have enough wood to be able to complete the bottom panel (for which I'm using 5/8" stock), but I'll need to pick up a bit of 3/4" stock for the top, as I don't have a contiguous piece of 13" x 8" x 3/4" MDF laying around.  Interestingly enough, I DID find a piece that was 30" x 7" x 3/4", so I COULD continue and just deal with with another seam.  I might actually do this, creating another seam down the center...  Because of the way I've had to cut the side pieces, everything is a vertical 'sheet' so-to-speak, so the horizontal interior pieces will keep everything 'in place'

One thing that I hope isn't a challenge is joining all of the pieces together.  All together, each bottom and top piece will be 21 1/2" wide, made up of 5 (possibly 6, if I go with the above route) pieces, and I'm planning on gluing each side to each other...  Luckily, they will be supported pretty well by internal and external framing, so I'm forgoing the purchase of a biscuit joiner at this time... ...especially since I'm reading varying results of using biscuits on MDF - I've read that they could cause the MDF to 'swell noticeably' wherever they are used.  Other points say no, they won't swell.

I'm going to pop back into the 'woodworking' sub-forum and ask, unless someone here can answer these questions:

"If I am joining six pieces of MDF together to make a single 'sheet', using carpenter's yellow glue, do I absolutely need a good set of clamps across the 21 1/2" distance, or if I make sure they are straight and flat, with a good amount of glue on each of the adjoining faces, with 'weight' holding the left and right sides together (I have a bunch of house bricks - 400 actually - heh) on a sheet of newspaper, will this become 'secure and solid' when the glue has dried?"

Wow - I just read that back, and can only imagine 'Real Woodworkers' cringing at the idea.  I just really want to continue, and I know that if I have to wait on buying proper clamps, it might be a bit of a delay to my project.  (Hmm.  I DID collect a lot of tools when my Dad passed away last year...  Maybe I need to do a shed cleanup - I'm sure he had pipe clamps at one point.)

Anyhow - I'm rambling now.  If anyone can give me feedback, either here or in my upcoming thread in woodworking, I would appreciate it.

eds1275

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:43:03 am
  • Rock and Roll!
« Reply #121 on: October 18, 2010, 07:19:56 pm »
I've never had biscuits swell in anything 5/8 or more - maybe a little while it dries but it's always come back to normal.

Rick

• Offline Offline
« Reply #122 on: October 19, 2010, 09:59:09 am »
I've never had biscuits swell in anything 5/8 or more - maybe a little while it dries but it's always come back to normal.

Cool beans.  Since I'm on a tight budget, I'm planning on making a quickie custom dowel jig based upon plans I found here, and picking up a couple of these clamps from Princess Auto today or tomorrow.  I figure this should give me the nice, tight seal I'm looking for.

I've also made some modifications to the render for the control panel.

I'm doing away with the 'wings' above the plexiglass top.  I had originally planned to light the plexi, and cover it over with the wings somewhat, but I'm going with a cleaner look now.  I *might* add the lighted plexi in the future (I'm sure there will be a "control panel v 2.0" coming) but for now, I've done away with the idea.  I've also made the control panel 1/2" deeper, since I realized that the joystick might not have enough clearance to function properly.  I changed up the face panels so that instead of being sandwiched in between the top and bottom panels, they are attached under the top and extend all the way to the bottom.  I think this will actually make the 45 degree angle cut across the bottom a bit easier on the router for all of the face pieces, as well as the sides.

I was going to do some work last night, but didn't get the time - I hope to do something tonight...  Nights are getting longer, so if I don't get home right after work, I'll likely not have enough light left.  I'll snap some pics of my work area when I can - it's my back deck.  I usually have my portable table saw out, with my B&D Workmate and mitre saw beside it...  Last weekend, they were joined by my new router table, but unfortunately, I didn't get to do anything with it yet.

;D

Rick

• Offline Offline
Re: "DOOMED!" -- Super Turbo Turkey Puncher 3
« Reply #123 on: October 20, 2010, 04:04:11 pm »
The wings are BACK, and things have changed!

Yes, I had a change of heart - mostly because I started working on the plexi overlay, and realized it has some 'character' in the way it was laid out.  So, of course, I couldn't just let it sit and look all normal.

;D

I did some more research, and found out that I can, in fact, use my router table as a biscuit joiner!  So, today, I was able to pickup a 5/32" slotted cutting bit and 1/4" arbor, and a bag of 50 biscuits.  This will make everything a bit easier now, as I won't have to build the dowel jig after all.  I will, of course, have to make sure I use the proper scrap stock to test the settings on the router, but that is a given in any case.

I also had the opportunity to pick up some nice 36" adjustable bar clamps ($10.99 ea. NICE), so now I'll be able to squeeze everything together and have it hold for a day or so while the glue sets up.  I personally CAN'T WAIT for this part, because it means I'll be able to do a rough sand of the top, lay out the joysticks and all of my buttons, and cut some holes!  (I came in early today so I could have a longer lunch - I plan to do the same tomorrow, but instead of picking stuff up, I hope to be fabricating!)

Nicodumas

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 28, 2014, 09:51:06 am
« Reply #124 on: October 21, 2010, 09:21:03 am »
*sigh* if only I had the place to work on my cab. You guys and being able to build your stiff. Oh well, I have tu much junk as it is is right now.

Nice look in the plexi, cant wait to see more build details!

Rick

• Offline Offline
« Reply #125 on: October 21, 2010, 09:40:07 am »
*sigh* if only I had the place to work on my cab. You guys and being able to build your stiff.

I live in a wartime house, with no basement.  Every time I work, I have to lug my table saw, mitre saw and router out onto my deck and setup on tables.  The while setup/take down portion takes about 15 minutes each, but thankfully, all of my tools are easily accessible - they're in my downstairs bathroom shower.

;D

Vebbo

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 22, 2015, 01:35:18 pm
    • Overaged Lucky Drivers
« Reply #126 on: October 21, 2010, 10:11:41 am »
Wohaaa, nice project u got there Rick. Love the look of it.  :applaud:
Vebbo
I was elected to lead, not to read!

Vebbo turning x-men cab to custom 1942 cab

Rick

• Offline Offline
« Reply #127 on: October 21, 2010, 02:27:24 pm »
Wohaaa, nice project u got there Rick. Love the look of it.  :applaud:

Thanks a bunch!  The CP is coming together nicely - I hope to have some updates by the end of the weekend with real pics.  No more of this BlackBerry phone junk.

:D

I cannot tell you guys how much I love my router.  I went home at lunch, and figured I might be able to do some of the butt joints (heh - "butt joints") with the biscuits and the 5/32" slot cutter I bought.  I never thought it would be so easy!  I've used a router once before when I was in my teens, helping out my Dad, but haven't used one since.  The longest time actually took me figuring out how to mount the cutting bit!  Once I got it all set up, I moved the stock slowly towards the spinning blade and it just ate the hell out of the wood.  I got everything cut, moved back into my living room and glued up the top, securing it all with bar clamps.  All-in-all, setup, cutting, gluing and clamping took me a little under 30 minutes to complete!

I have some minor reworking to do with the bottom, but if I'm lucky, I can get this completed as quickly and looking as nicely.  I'm excited to see this progress as quickly as it has.  If I can get the bottom done soon (it's the next job, due to the obvious time I'll need to wait for it to dry) then I hope I can have a fully assembled control panel, sanded and primed, by the end of the weekend.  THEN, we'll see what she looks like!

Rick

• Offline Offline
« Reply #128 on: October 22, 2010, 08:49:17 am »
Here are the progress pics for the top...  Here's the top of the control panel, all clamped up and sitting on my dining room table.

A close-up view of the top shows the joinery and marks.  Basically, you line up your pieces, draw a tick line across the two pieces where the biscuit is to go, and then centre the biscuit cut in the line.

As you can see, there's a significant amount of sealing, sanding and finish work to do - even on this piece alone - but that's the price you pay for using joinery vs. one contiguous piece.

newkillergenius

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 21, 2013, 03:48:35 pm
  • A mind is a terrible thing to taste.
    • The Mystery Revealed!
« Reply #129 on: October 22, 2010, 11:06:00 am »
God I wish I had this kind of patience.   :dizzy:

Don't ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- where you eat, my friend.

Rick

• Offline Offline
« Reply #130 on: October 22, 2010, 11:15:02 am »
God I wish I had this kind of patience.   :dizzy:

Patience, I have.  The "Prometheus Gene", I do not.  Read here.

TL;DR version: I'm going to use what I have now as a quick template, and recreate my top and bottom from a single piece, and try to duplicate the angles with my jigsaw, so that I have less filling and sanding to do.  (D'OH!)  Hey - I know what this means.  Time to break out my router's Flush Trim Bits and mangle some more MDF!  (You know, if this works like I anticipate it might, I'm going to kick myself when I have two infinitely more beautiful panels after an hour's worth of work.)

;D

Edit: Ha!  Prometheus kicked in.  I can't use the flush trim bit - it won't do the corners as square as I want them.  Looks like a job for the jigsaw!
« Last Edit: October 22, 2010, 11:30:34 am by Rick »

Rick

• Offline Offline
« Reply #131 on: October 22, 2010, 01:16:08 pm »
I like the template/one piece idea. Good luck with this!

Thank you.  I look forward to trying!  If it's successful, it will definitely be preferable to have a flat surface, rather than trying to clean up what I have.

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:58:57 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #132 on: October 22, 2010, 01:45:24 pm »
BTW, I think this project is cool. I'd build a replica 'Starfighter' cab from 'The Last Starfighter' if I didn't think the control panel would be to hard to replicate. Also, I'm not a fan of the actual shape of the Starfighter cabinet. Looks too top heavy.

My cab is going to be called 'Starfighter', but it's not going to look anything like the movie one.  ;D
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

Rick

• Offline Offline
« Reply #133 on: October 22, 2010, 04:27:45 pm »
After careful consideration (i.e. oops) I have made some serious modifications to the control panel.  To that end, I give you Mark II:

You'll note that the new top panel will now be a single contiguous piece, and will span the entire width of the control panel.  I did this for two reasons.  One, a single contiguous (love that word) piece will be stronger and flatter.  Two, the new expanse will (hopefully) hide any imperfections with the 'cut ends', especially considering they will be a darker colour, and later, will have a 'Nabcon' logo covering much of them.  I believe that the combination of these two changes will dramatically reduce the chance of any flaws being immediately evident.

I'm really sorry.  I'm a HUGE stickler for detail, and now that I've realized my original wood working was sub-par, there was no other answer than to start from scratch.  Look for progress this weekend.  I know I will.

Space Fractal

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 26, 2023, 11:32:13 am
  • Space Fractal
    • Space Fractal
« Reply #134 on: October 24, 2010, 05:29:11 am »
hey, I have not logged into this forum so much as I have did previous.

Cool idea anyway and look like its would been fun to create a little remake of that easter egg.

The game its self should been pretty easy to do a remake, if I dedicated to do one (but I might do that when have time).
« Last Edit: October 24, 2010, 10:53:50 am by Space Fractal »
Decade Old Work: MultiFE, ArcadeMusicBox
Today Works: Various Spectrum Next games from Rusty Pixels and html5 games.

Rick

• Offline Offline
« Reply #135 on: October 25, 2010, 01:19:08 pm »
I'm really sorry.  I'm a HUGE stickler for detail, and now that I've realized my original wood working was sub-par, there was no other answer than to start from scratch.  Look for progress this weekend.  I know I will.

Dammit.  There's never enough time, is there?

;)

This weekend, I had a couple of hours to myself, and in that time, I was able to redesign the top and sides how I wanted them.  (Let me clarify.  My Wife wasn't feeling good, and was having a nap after a super-busy and wonderfully horrible week.  My three year old was outside with me, letting me know he wanted to 'help'.  His definition of help - because he is three - is to ask to be pushed on the swing, helped down the slide, and driven around our backyard in his non-functional Power Wheels jeep.  Let's just say it wasn't the most 'arcade productive' couple of hours, but it certainly was fun.)

;D

I am proud to say, that now, instead of five pieces for the top, it is now comprised of three.  (Yes, I guess I must explain.)  I determined (with help in the woodworking forum from The Lumberjackass) that, to get the angles I wanted, and with my current tools and budget, the only way everything was going to work was with joinery.  Thinking for a bit, I figured out that I didn't require five cuts, as I had done previously, but three would do.  I rebuilt the top using a large rectangle (24" x 9") and then the front 'wings' from two, separate pieces of stock, to be inserted from the front, using biscuit joinery.  I was able to use my table saw to give the rectangle it's customary 15 degree bevel, both front and back, and then I used my mitre saw to carefully cut the two wings from 2" x 3" stock, and mitred in the appropriate angles.  After some measuring, I used my router table to slot some biscuits in there, and voila!  I now have a wide, strong control panel, with the least number of joins required to get the look I want.

...and yes, I am very, very impressed with the result.  So much so, that I am considering setting fire to my original attempt, lest anyone else ever see the sad mish-mash of wood thrown together...)

;)

So, I now have the majority of my pieces cut - I have the top, the back, the two sides, and some miscellaneous internal support pieces which will support the bottom.  Oh, I guess I didn't mention that - my plan is to have the control panel accessible through the bottom, upon disassembly from the cabinet.  I'm setting some internal support pieces 3/4" (or 5/8" - haven't decided, but am leaning towards the 3/4", as I do need to make another 'wood run' soon) from the bottom edge, and installing some t-nuts, so that the screws will be nice and neatly tucked away from view.

I have printed my hole cutting diagrams, and they're currently sitting on my dining room table.  I visited Canadian Tire on my lunch, and found that it's near impossible to find a 1 1/8" Forstner bit (checked CT, HD and even Princess Auto - no dice) so I had to sacrifice for a hole saw kit...  When I'm ready to do some cutting, I plan to be as meticulous.  I plan to clamp some extra stock beneath the panel, pre-drill using a 3/8" drill bit (to get the hole nice and square) and then start in with the hole saw.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed that everything goes as planned.

My Wife is out of the office until 6pm tonight, so after picking my Son up from Daycare, preparing some dinner, and tidying up the house a bit, let's see if we can't squeeze a little 'drilling time' in there somewhere...

;) :D ;D

Rick

• Offline Offline
« Reply #136 on: October 27, 2010, 08:10:49 am »
Why?

Why, after everything I do, does crap like this always seem to happen?  My Wife called to me from our downstairs bathroom this morning to show me a puddle on the floor.  I thought, "Well, the cat loves to hang out in the tub after our shower, so it was probably his wet feet."  No dice.  We walked in, found a nice large puddle on the floor, and then looked up to see the water dripping from our ceiling.  That's not good.

Right about that bathroom is our Master Bathroom, which has been in need of renovation for a year now.  So, somewhere, from above us, in that bathroom, is quite a major leak.

:angry:

On our drive in to work this morning, my Wife said, "I'm sorry this is going to stall your arcade plans."  She's half-right.  I explained that I would continue with my arcade work on lunches (on the days that she's not with me in our office - which is usually 2-3 each week) as I can't really do too much 'dirty work' if I have to be at the office in an hour.  Still, it doesn't look like I'll be getting that hour or two on the weekends for a while...  ...unless, of course, I just happen to have my tools out for something else, and can sneak a cut or two.

;)

Dammit.  As I said to my Wife, "Emergency repairs are Life's way of telling you that you've taken too long on completing your renovations."

HaRuMaN

• Supreme Solder King
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+45)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 27, 2024, 07:37:53 pm
  • boom
    • Arcade Madness
« Reply #137 on: October 27, 2010, 09:56:47 am »
Get to work!  :burgerking:

Rick

• Offline Offline
« Reply #138 on: October 27, 2010, 10:38:39 am »
Get to work!  :burgerking:

Way ahead of you, sir.  I've received word that my Father-In-Law will be at the house on Sunday, and between now and then, I have plans to demo the downstairs bathroom (figure out where the leak is upstairs and STOP IT) and have the concrete drywall, moisture barrier, tub, surround parts, piping (going with PEX) and fixtures delivered.  If I'm lucky, I should be able to have the majority of the demo and rebuild done by end-of-day Saturday.  I figure I should be able to at least get the piping, drywall and moisture barrier in and fit.

Wish me luck.

HaRuMaN

• Supreme Solder King
  • Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • boom
    • Arcade Madness
« Reply #139 on: October 27, 2010, 10:47:49 am »
Good luck.  Plumbing is the one home repair I hate...   :angry:

TOK

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 24, 2024, 05:14:24 pm
  • The Game Always Wins
« Reply #140 on: October 29, 2010, 08:55:03 am »
My 2 week total bathroom remodel ended up taking 6 months. I stripped it down to the studs and redid everything, but talk about burnout. There were days on end where I just couldn't bring myself to even look at it.

My eye is twitching just reading your deadline.

ids

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 16, 2023, 05:43:28 pm
  • Fighter Captured
« Reply #141 on: October 29, 2010, 10:22:47 am »
it's near impossible to find a 1 1/8" Forstner bit

Lee Valley Tools: http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=63566&cat=1,180,42240

If the regular places don't have what you need, odds are LVT has it.  Busy Bee Tools is another good source.

Rick

• Offline Offline
« Reply #142 on: October 29, 2010, 03:10:01 pm »
I have good news and bad news. The bad news is that I have to gut my bathroom - I bored a hole in the ceiling, and inside, I found a soaking wet mess. It seems somewhere in the past, someone had installed drywall over some type of tile ceiling, and above that was blown insulation.

With the leak in my upstairs bathroom, everything in a 10'x6' square was mush above the drywall, which was also starting to 'melt'.

So, I spent the last two days cleaning up the mess I made. I tore out the bathtub, all the drywall behind it, removed the window and filling four garbage bags (LARGE BAGS) with mush.

The good news is, I took an hour today to drill all the holes in my control panel. I used a 3/8" bit to pre-drill and then my 1 1/8" spade bit (yes, it worked well!) for the holes. I clamped my 3/4" panel to a piece of 5/8" MDF and directly to my workbench. I started the drill with the spade tip in the pre-drilled hole and made sure it spun up to full speed before applying any pressure. I let the bit do all the work, and came up with a perfect and smooth hole.

Lather, rinse, repeat. (That goes for the numerous showers I had for the reno, as well as the drilling.)

Rick

• Offline Offline
« Reply #143 on: November 03, 2010, 03:02:03 pm »
PROGRESS!!!

I worked on the bathroom on the weekend, trying to get as much finished as possible.  Sadly, it involved more demolition, rather than any installation.

My eye is twitching just reading your deadline.

You're right, sir.  It was simply impossible - new things just keep cropping up.  My surgery on Monday, for example.  Pretty simple really, and I'll leave out all the details, but as I told my Manager when he asked me if I'd be in today, "I'll be walking like a cowboy, but yes, I'll be working."

;)

Anyhow, on my lunches and in the evenings, I've been working to complete the control panel, and I've made some wonderful (in my opinion) progress so far.  I've got all of the pieces cut and assembled, using (I LOVE THIS) biscuit joins wherever possible.  Today, I installed some of the buttons and joystick to see it all put together, and I'm happy to see everything fits!

(Pay no attention to the joystick 2 hole.)  Heh.  It was the LAST DAMN HOLE I cut, and it turned out to be about 1/4" too low.  I have no idea why my drill didn't 'centre' in the pre-drilled hole, but I have the sneaky suspicion that I must have pushed too quickly, and probably 'jumped' the pilot hole...  Regardless, I have nothing but nice things to say about my spade bits.  With junk stock behind my cutting stock, a o proper pre-drilled hole, getting the drill up to speed, and letting the bit do the work with minimal pressure, it turned out better than I had hoped.  There was no 'breakout' behind the MDF, and I didn't have to spend mad money on a new bit.

The SECOND (and even more annoying screwup) happened today at lunch, was that I noted I had FORGOTTEN the P1/P2 buttons.  I thought I was so smart, when I stacked old stock under the now assembled control panel, and cut the holes, and then WHAM!  I tried to install the buttons, only to find they HIT THE BACK OF THE PANEL!  Yes, due to my inability to measure correctly, and because of the 15 degree angle of the back, the buttons only went in about 1/2".  To rectify this (and thankfully, pretty smartly, I might add) I used my jigsaw to cut a 4" x 3" rectangle out of the back.

I do have some touchups to do on the joystick 2 hole, as well as an overall wood filler attack, and I hope to continue with that tonight.  After everything is said and done, and the sanding completed, I hope to have a nice, smooth finish, with no visible seams or issues.  Once I get past that stage, I'm excited to put some PAINT to her.  I can't wait.

;D
« Last Edit: November 03, 2010, 03:13:24 pm by Rick »

Donkbaca

• Our reptillian overlords would be pleased
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 09, 2012, 06:28:10 pm
    • Slim built MAME/Xbox cab
« Reply #144 on: November 03, 2010, 04:44:56 pm »
Did you route out the back for the joysticks?  THe one you have there looks a little low

Rick

• Offline Offline
« Reply #145 on: November 03, 2010, 06:11:01 pm »
Did you route out the back for the joysticks?  THe one you have there looks a little low

I didn't, but it's also not pressed right up to the panel. More just held there by the pressure of the bolts. Of course, it's also only about 1/4" down too, so it won't come up too much higher.

In hindsight, I think I should have done it, but there's no point complaining about it now. Worst case scenario, I will find my local machine shop and see what they might be able to put together. I think I'll be going balltops in the future, anyway.

I just did a preliminary sanding, and it turned out amazing. I then did some filling, so tomorrow, I'll give it another sand and see what I have. If it looks even a tiny bit better than today, it will be awesome. I am estimating a few more filling sessions anyway, just to get it 100% the way I want it.

I also printed up some art for under the dust washers, in line with the original pics from in-game. They were a bit too large when I printed some samples, so I'll try and post some pics up tomorrow.

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:58:57 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #146 on: November 03, 2010, 06:16:35 pm »
Rick-

I'd rout them out if I were you. It makes a big difference. I've made 3 CPs, and the best thing I did was to take the time to route them. Then again, they didn't have the same angle yours did, so that might be something to take in consideration.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

Rick

• Offline Offline
« Reply #147 on: November 04, 2010, 08:31:15 am »
I'd rout them out if I were you. It makes a big difference. I've made 3 CPs, and the best thing I did was to take the time to route them.

Unfortunately, I don't know how it would be possible now.  They're going to be mounted from beneath, and the top of the control panel is NOT removable.  It's been biscuit jointed and glued solidly to the sides.  The bottom is, at present, hollow, with some supports for a removable bottom to follow.  There's no clearance for me to get a router in there, unfortunately.

Then again, they didn't have the same angle yours did, so that might be something to take in consideration.

That's a good point.  I'm not 100% sure how it's going to play, as yet, but you've got me thinking I should prop it up to the proper level and fiddle with it a bit.  In the end, the worst case scenario is (if it's just too short) to get some extended shafts.  It can't be that hard to do - they're pretty simple shafts with a section for the retaining ring.

JustMichael

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 27, 2015, 01:19:40 am
  • Mmmmm!! Cheesecake!!
« Reply #148 on: November 04, 2010, 10:48:47 am »
There's no clearance for me to get a router in there, unfortunately.

If you find you need to route it out why not try a hammer and a sharp chisel?

Rick

• Offline Offline
« Reply #149 on: November 04, 2010, 11:11:42 am »
If you find you need to route it out why not try a hammer and a sharp chisel?

Well, durr.  I never thought of that.  Damn you, technology!  You've beat me again!

:banghead:

That, sir, is a smart idea.  I have a nice set of chisels my Dad gave me that I've never used...  I think I might do just that.  Question: on 3/4" MDF, do you think removing 3/8" would be too much?  It would leave 3/8" - half of the original measurement - I'm only concerned that a good yank would rip it out of the panel.  I DO have kids.

;)

HaRuMaN

• Supreme Solder King
  • Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • boom
    • Arcade Madness
« Reply #150 on: November 04, 2010, 11:25:28 am »
Also, if you have a Dremel with the router attachment, that would work as well.

The thickness should be enough.  Also, there is a product that you can paint on and it soaks in and increases the strength...  I forget the name, though.  Someone here used it.

Rick

• Offline Offline
« Reply #151 on: November 04, 2010, 11:28:11 am »
Also, if you have a Dremel with the router attachment, that would work as well.

Hmm.  How many times can one Man facepalm in one thread?  I have a Dremel kit.  It has a stand, as well as a flexible tool, much like a dentist's drill, for just this type of work.  I'm not above buying a router attachment, if it's not in the kit.  (Again, my Dad left it to me when he passed away last year.  I guess I need to do a personal inventory.)

Sounds like a plan!

eds1275

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:43:03 am
  • Rock and Roll!
« Reply #152 on: November 04, 2010, 12:16:04 pm »
The dremel router attachement is pretty cheap and is great for little things. It's basically just a base and also includes an edge guide.

Rick

• Offline Offline
« Reply #153 on: November 04, 2010, 12:43:59 pm »
The dremel router attachement is pretty cheap and is great for little things. It's basically just a base and also includes an edge guide.

I found a 'plunge router kit' for the Dremel, but again, I think I'd be pretty limited in my mobility (my P1 joystick is actually about 1/4" from the left side) but I'm thinking this might work:

As it seems to be a guard to allow for crisp, flat cuts, it looks like I could couple it with a Dremel routing bit, and for the section that might not cut, because it's too close to the left side, I could remove it and try to route it out, freehand.

What do you think?

Donkbaca

• Offline Offline
« Reply #154 on: November 04, 2010, 12:53:33 pm »
Don't worry about the routing on the bottom being that precise, nobody uis going to see it.  You just want to clear out some space.

Rick

• Offline Offline
« Reply #155 on: November 04, 2010, 01:03:49 pm »
...I could remove it and try to route it out, freehand.

I'm going to quote myself here, just because I caught why it would NOT work...  Once I start removing MDF inside the perimeter, the collar around the bit won't be 'smooth' any more - it would be 'floating in space' that's already been cut away.  I think, because of the space available to me - I'm going to try my hand at the hammer and chisel.  (Of course, I'll try it on some test stock first.  If it doesn't work for me, it's a no-go, either way.)

Rick

• Offline Offline
« Reply #156 on: November 04, 2010, 02:07:08 pm »
Hmm.  Whole lot of back and forth going on in my brain today.  I think I've just junked the idea of the routed bottoms - because I'm planning on routing the top, to make some room for the dust washer underneath some new artwork.  If I did route the bottom, it's only going to end up being 1/4", which would be a negligible result for all the work.

So.  That's a no go.

JustMichael

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 27, 2015, 01:19:40 am
  • Mmmmm!! Cheesecake!!
« Reply #157 on: November 04, 2010, 03:07:56 pm »
Question: on 3/4" MDF, do you think removing 3/8" would be too much?  It would leave 3/8" - half of the original measurement - I'm only concerned that a good yank would rip it out of the panel.  I DO have kids.

;)

That I don't know.  I never use MDF on control panels.  I always use plywood there.  The control panel is the most abused part of a cabinet.  If you do route out any of the MDF I recommend you cover the control panel with some plexiglass/acrylic type of stuff since kids will be involved.  This covering will also add strength.  I would avoid Lexan unless you want lots of scratches all over the control panel.  You could also use an additional wider washer when mounting the joysticks.

Rick

• Offline Offline
« Reply #158 on: November 04, 2010, 03:20:07 pm »
That I don't know.  I never use MDF on control panels.  I always use plywood there.  The control panel is the most abused part of a cabinet.  If you do route out any of the MDF I recommend you cover the control panel with some plexiglass/acrylic type of stuff since kids will be involved.  This covering will also add strength.  I would avoid Lexan unless you want lots of scratches all over the control panel.  You could also use an additional wider washer when mounting the joysticks.

I figure that - since I looked again at the source graphics - I will be routing out a circle around each joystick hole for the dust washers I have, and then putting some art above them, as well as some plexi over that.  I'd always planned on the plexi, however, the idea for the dust washers is new.  It will actually accomplish a couple of things.  One, it will look even more like the source.  Two, it will fix much of the screwup on P2's joystick, as I'm certain to never get it 100% circular, and this will cover my mistakes nicely.

Now, to determine how to make an effective routing template.  I think I'll need to buy a bushing or two, and then find something with a perfect circle to lay over the area to be routed.  What do you think?

Donkbaca

• Offline Offline
Re: "DOOM'D!" -- Super Turbo Turkey Puncher 3
« Reply #159 on: November 04, 2010, 04:24:14 pm »
I think you are over-thinking it.  As I see it you could:

1) route out the bottoms, put dust washers on the bottom.

2) leave the bottom alone, route out the top for the dust washers, You don't need a perfect circle at all, just rout enough space for the dustwashers, the art and plexi is going to cover it anyway, so who cares if its not perfect.

3) Since nothing is mounted yet, you could top-mount the joysticks.  This, I think is the best option, it would allow you to have the proper height on the joysticks and you wouldn't have to route anything out for the dustwashers.

To top mount them you cut a whole for the joystick, route out the depth of the mounting plate, maybe a tiny bit more for the dustwasher, and then you are done. 

There is a good discussion of it over at slagcoin.  http://www.slagcoin.com/joystick/mounting_layering.html