Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: "DOOM'D!" -- A return to Super Turbo Turkey Puncher 3  (Read 126449 times)

Roo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 15, 2010, 09:17:03 pm
Re: "DOOMED!" - Super Turbo Turkey Puncher 3 - UPDATED 2010.09.10
« Reply #40 on: September 11, 2010, 02:40:27 pm »
Well Rick no one could accuse you of not being enthusiastic so.........

here are some renders I drew up for you,  you do realise this means you're going to have to actually really build this now don't you?  ;)

So I had PM'd Rick and offered to render up the cabinet in SketchUp.  He loved the idea.  So I had been busy researching it: I found my old copy of Doom 3 after some digging around, I loaded it up.  After playing with the flashlight in game (it's way too dark) I researched some console commands.  I found "testlight" to generate a new light source where you're aiming.  But it was still too difficult to get good reference shots in game, with the cab stuffed into the corner the way it is.

So I found a model viewer that can render Doom 3's models separately, and went searching for where the files that make up the 3D game model are stored.  Finally got that working and took some nice reference images.  I used them to outline the cabinet in SketchUp, but it was getting late so headed off to bed.

I woke up this morning, met my friend at the gym for some racquetball, came home, ate breakfast and mowed the lawn.  I sat down at my computer to work on SketchUp for a bit then I checked this forum.

Only to come back to this thread to find Ond has once again upstaged everyone on this forum.   :laugh2:  I guess he can't help it, it's in his damn magic, koala-infused Aussie blood.  

Well I have to admit, it is a nice render.   :cheers: 

I'll slink away now, go back to my average cabinet project...  Sorry for the interruption, nothing to see here, move along...
« Last Edit: September 11, 2010, 02:42:12 pm by Roo »

Roo

• Offline Offline
« Reply #41 on: September 11, 2010, 02:46:58 pm »
Oh, I forgot.  Here are the reference images I took from the modeler:

(I'm not even showing my crappy SketchUp model, it won't hold up to Ond's)

Rick

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 09, 2023, 01:16:55 pm
  • Bartop, Cocktail and Pinball Arcade Cabinets
    • Gameroom Designs Canada
« Reply #42 on: September 11, 2010, 07:15:31 pm »
Well Rick no one could accuse you of not being enthusiastic so.........  here are some renders I drew up for you,  you do realise this means you're going to have to actually really build this now don't you?  ;)  Tell your wife OND says you've got to build it.  Now I gotta go...before MY wife slaps me around for spending too much time on your cab.

Sir.  Thank you so much.  Words cannot describe how beautiful that render is.  What software did you use to design this?  It's so beautiful and amazing, I seriously have no words.

Now, onto my next questions.  If it's a common program (I'd wager it's common enough that if I don't already have it, I certainly can find it - wink wink) I would really, really appreciate the source, if you're willing to pass it along.  (If not, I totally understand.)  Second question.  How BIG can you make these graphics?  I have some ideas for this - and I'm not 100% willing to share *everything* on the forums just yet.  I'll shoot you a PM to give you a bit more info, and of course, I'd like to keep Mr. Roo in the loop as well...

(Since it seems like I have drawn in the best and the brightest into my little plan...)

So I had PM'd Rick and offered to render up the cabinet in SketchUp.  He loved the idea.  So I had been busy researching it: I found my old copy of Doom 3 after some digging around, I loaded it up.  After playing with the flashlight in game (it's way too dark) I researched some console commands.  I found "testlight" to generate a new light source where you're aiming.  But it was still too difficult to get good reference shots in game, with the cab stuffed into the corner the way it is.

So I found a model viewer that can render Doom 3's models separately, and went searching for where the files that make up the 3D game model are stored.  Finally got that working and took some nice reference images.  I used them to outline the cabinet in SketchUp, but it was getting late so headed off to bed.

This is awesome, man.  Thanks so much.  I had NO CLUE what the back might look like, and was going to wing it, but since you got the reference models right out of the game, I cannot stress how much I appreciate it.  As Ond mentioned above, I'm nothing if not enthusiastic.  My Wife is so patient - because when I get a thought in my head, I pretty much natter on about it night and day and she gets the brunt of it.  (One of the main reasons I spend so much time trying to keep her happy is so she is okay with my little side projects.  "Happy Wife, Happy Life!"  LOL.)

Again, I'm wondering if there's a way to squeeze any more resolution out of the pics...  If so, or if you can let me know how to do it myself, I'd really appreciate it.

To everybody goading me on, my sincere thanks.  I really do appreciate all the well wishes and all of the help!

Gotta put one of these on a gun rack on the wall next to it

You know what's funny about that?  I know a guy who frequents another forum I'm on who builds replicas out of wood and actually BUILT ONE to spec and FULL SIZE.  It was quite amazing to look at.  (I saw pics, but never got to hold the thing, sadly.)  I believe he was offering to build them for about $250, and I was toying with the idea for a while, but a few things were against me.  The Wife wouldn't have it, mostly because there was no place for me to store it....

As for where I'm at TODAY, I spent most of my day laying another new floor in my back hallway...  The original flooring was destroyed, as it seems like it cracked and heaved in a section, so I first leveled everything (don't ask how - lol) and then laid new laminate.  Tomorrow, I'll be onto doing some more trim work, and hopefully, might see my gaming gear come in from GGG later this week.

My Wife got herself a car the other day, so I now have the ability to use our first car as a 'transport vehicle', so I definitely see some MDF being picked up in the future!  Stay tuned!

(And again, thanks SO MUCH to Ond, Roo and everybody else.  It's exciting!)

Ond

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 05:01:47 am
« Reply #43 on: September 11, 2010, 07:27:48 pm »
@ Roo - I think the effort you put into getting the reference images from the modeler would be much appreciated by Rick and very useful too.  In reading this thread I latched on to Rick's comment:

(I actually laughed to myself and said, "dude, you're building THAT?")  Yeah.  It's realll ugly.  But hey, all for the art, right?  I mean, who else is going to be able to say, "I have an AUTHENTIC (sort of) Doom 3 arcade game from Mars."?

After the nostalgia this hobby (to me) is all about the art.  It's a cool idea, it inspired me to mock up the renders, to me renders are just a useful tool, a reference or a guide to work from.  I don't think this cab is or has to be ugly, it might need some tweaking to make it a practical two player machine (I just drew it as I saw it from the images Rick posted) but as an original idea it has great potential.  So, there's no attempt to upstage  :) it's just me being keen and wanting to help out.  Renders are nothing, what's built is what counts.

@Rick - It's a challenging project but enthusiasm and determination are what is most important.  I said to a mate of mine when I was in the render stage with my cab "Whatever it takes - I'll make it real"   :lol which in my case the "whatever it takes" is still way more than I could have imagined.

I've provided concept drawings to others once or twice before where I thought their design idea was cool, Epyx ran with it and did an outstanding job.  Roo's clearer captures could be used to add authenticity so it's all good material to work from.

:cheers:

Ond

Rick

• Offline Offline
« Reply #44 on: September 11, 2010, 08:21:30 pm »
@ Roo - I think the effort you put into getting the reference images from the modeler would be much appreciated by Rick and very useful too.

Absolutely. I really appreciate everything. Having authentic pics to work from are a much-needed first step for me, since my cab is to be 'the successor' to the cab found in-game, and I need to strive (personally, since I'm anal) for as much realism as possible.  That's what makes what's being provided to me so fantastic.

After the nostalgia this hobby (to me) is all about the art.  It's a cool idea, it inspired me to mock up the renders, to me renders are just a useful tool, a reference or a guide to work from.  I don't think this cab is or has to be ugly, it might need some tweaking to make it a practical two player machine (I just drew it as I saw it from the images Rick posted) but as an original idea it has great potential.  So, there's no attempt to upstage  :) it's just me being keen and wanting to help out.  Renders are nothing, what's built is what counts.

I think I have a knack for being too picky sometimes, and definitely too self-deprecating. Looking at how amazing your work looks has really shown me the potential for what the cab can be. Your two player layout is perfect, and the renders are awesome.

And because of the pics, I'm finding that cab one seriously sexy looking machine!  Thank you!

@Rick - It's a challenging project but enthusiasm and determination are what is most important.  I said to a mate of mine when I was in the render stage with my cab "Whatever it takes - I'll make it real"   :lol which in my case the "whatever it takes" is still way more than I could have imagined.

I'm with you there. I'm already working the tooling through in my head to give me the look I want.  I know that this will succeed, if for no other reason than the amazing support and work of the community we have here!!! (Are you guys tired of me saying 'thank you' yet?)

...and, if its any indication of my seriousness and dedication - this entire post (quote editing and all) is being done on the tiny keyboard of my BlackBerry.  And I can tell you, after a full day of working on the floor, my hands are killing me. :)

I've provided concept drawings to others once or twice before where I thought their design idea was cool, Epyx ran with it and did an outstanding job.  Roo's clearer captures could be used to add authenticity so it's all good material to work from.

I've seen Epyx's work, as well as yours and many others on the site, and can't wait to get started. Maybe my Wife will get tired of me talking, and will force me to start. Let's hope.

In the meantime, I'm burning every candle to get my renos done quicker than normal. I'll keep everybody updated and throw a bone on the cab here and there...

...of course, with the 'famous' support I'm getting now, I'm sure more will be drawn to read up and post their own thoughts too. Threadnought, AWAY!!!

Thanks!

Rick

Roo

• Offline Offline
« Reply #45 on: September 12, 2010, 01:19:26 am »
Quote from: Ond
So, there's no attempt to upstage  :) it's just me being keen and wanting to help out.  Renders are nothing, what's built is what counts.

Oh don't take me seriously, that post was just my attempt at being funny.  It did make me laugh when I saw your jaw-dropping render.  I opened mine, compared it to yours, and just sighed...   :notworthy:

Quote from: Rick
Again, I'm wondering if there's a way to squeeze any more resolution out of the pics...  If so, or if you can let me know how to do it myself, I'd really appreciate it.

I'm not sure if I can with the model viewer I found.  It seems to be limited to the size of your display.  I run at 1920x1200.  There's no options to export a higher res render that I can see.  That said, even if you could, I don't think you will see any more detail.  The original in-game model is pretty low-res.

Here's the software I used:

http://www.doom3world.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=1281

You can get the files it needs by going to your Doom3\base directory and opening pak002.pk4 with WinRar.  Navigate to models\mapobjects\arcade_machine inside the archive and extract those files out.  In the modeler software, click on the scene tab and then click the button "load mesh" and point it to the file you extracted above, "arcade_machine.lwo"

Then you'll have to point it to each of the skins it asks for, those are the .tga files you extracted.

You can play with the lights and move the model and/or camera around.  It's a neat little package.

A couple thought on the "use-ablity" of the in-game model:
  • That's a really big TV sitting so close to the player.  It needs more room between the screen and the controls maybe?  As a side note, it's funny how they reused the art asset for the TV screen, they kind of just stuck it in the model.  I think it's a cool look though.
  • It's not really to scale very well.  If you assume based on the size that it's a 27" TV, those would be some really big arcade buttons!  I think you'd want to do something like Ond's render, where the "spirit" of the in-game model is intact, but you have two-player controls.
  • There's no speakers   ;D

Loving the concept!  Cheers to all   :cheers:

« Last Edit: September 12, 2010, 01:50:36 am by Roo »

Roo

• Offline Offline
« Reply #46 on: September 12, 2010, 01:35:48 am »
Haha, I rotated my LCD vertical and was able to capture higher res screenshots  ;D

Roo

• Offline Offline
« Reply #47 on: September 12, 2010, 01:37:34 am »
And the rest of them...

Rick

• Offline Offline
« Reply #48 on: September 12, 2010, 01:00:37 pm »
That's a really big TV sitting so close to the player.  It needs more room between the screen and the controls maybe?  As a side note, it's funny how they reused the art asset for the TV screen, they kind of just stuck it in the model.  I think it's a cool look though.

I noticed that as well...  I think I'm going to go with a multi-level shroud with a bit of tinted lexan to surround the TV I'm planning on getting, so as to make it look fairly original, however, not *exactly* as it looks today.

It's not really to scale very well.  If you assume based on the size that it's a 27" TV, those would be some really big arcade buttons!  I think you'd want to do something like Ond's render, where the "spirit" of the in-game model is intact, but you have two-player controls.

LOL.  Yeah, will DEFINITELY be going with Ond's layout.  It's perfect, and will fit the cab amazingly.

There's no speakers   ;D

THAT... will be rectified.  Actually, I think what I'd really love to do is somehow integrate a nice sub into the bottom - possibly running through the venting that you see throughout.

LOVING THE NEW PICS, thanks so much!  I already have some 'stickers' made up for the back lower square... Maybe I'll share them this week.

;D

Ond

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 05:01:47 am
« Reply #49 on: September 13, 2010, 08:17:20 am »
Here are version 2 renders based on the images provided by Roo.  As far as the geometry goes this version is very close to the 'real thing'.   In the 1st version I did, the monitor was tilted back 10 degrees, to be true to the original I restored it to the vertical. Colours and textures updated as well.  When you are ready I can PM higher res profile images to prepare cutting plans from.  I leave it to you now Rick to adopt what you like from the renders.  It was fun drawing these and great to get good source material to work from.

Ond
« Last Edit: September 13, 2010, 08:22:14 am by Ond »

Rick

• Offline Offline
« Reply #50 on: September 13, 2010, 10:09:07 am »
Wow.  I just don't know what to say.  Wow.  Thank you.

::)

You do some amazing work with that software, sir.  I hope that the PM system can handle the high-resolution images you're going to send my way, but I want you to know that I am READY anytime you want to send them down.  I'd be most happy to receive the source files, if you'll part with them, and if you can, a high-resolution graphical representation (BMP?  TGA?) so that I can play with them in my own graphics packages.

Again, sir.  Thank you so much.

:o :applaud:

Just to show my commitment (believe me, it's a good word - I *should* be committed) to the Project, I spent the hours of 12:45 a.m. to about 2:00 a.m. going over in my head all of the specifics of fabricating the CP, since that will likely be the 'hard start' of this project.  I hope to have my controls sometime this week, if not next week, and I spent the entire day Saturday rebuilding our back hallway, re-leveling the floor and laying laminate...  Back to the planning - I was actually laying on the floor in my 3 year old Son's room,  because he sometimes has trouble sleeping (growing pains) and I spend the time making sure he's ok.  Well, I believe I have worked through most of the construction details, although I *know* there's probably going to be many things that crop up and surprise me.

I do look forward to a little 'down time' from my home projects, and I already have plans to set a pre-sized, pre-cut piece of 3/4" MDF in front of me to 'mock up' the CP top and bottom.  I'm sure my Wife won't mind... ...much.

;D

Rick

• Offline Offline
« Reply #51 on: September 13, 2010, 04:23:33 pm »
If only I had the time to put into woodworking like I have for the graphics, this thing would be done by now.

;)

Anyhow, without further ado, I present to you some ideas for the cab.  As always, I invite your critiques, ideas and input, as this is in no way a finished product.  I'm always thinking, and redesigning and working on things, so any ideas you have, please let me know.

First of all, from the inspiration of rikitiki, who brought us the Encom Prototype Virtual Pinball, I had the idea to create a manufacturing sticker for the back of the cabinet, to honor it's creation date and (pending) backstory.  (Oh, there's more to come, believe me, that will make this thread pale by comparison!)

(Yes.  My cabinet DOES, in fact, have a 550MW internal fusion cell.)

;D

Secondly, I have also affixed an "asset tag" so that the Mars base can adequately track stock of all equipment that is in active circulation...

Last, this is my planned mock-up for the control panel...  You might note I'm using "Classic Doom" fonts for the text.

So, this is what I have so far...  Thoughts?

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 09:54:06 am
« Reply #52 on: September 13, 2010, 04:29:08 pm »
Thoughts?

Very nice.
Now lets see some sawdust.  8)

severdhed

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 07, 2022, 04:45:32 pm
  • RIP Dinosaur Hippo
Re: "DOOMED!" - Super Turbo Turkey Puncher 3 - UPDATED 2010.09.13 (More pics!)
« Reply #53 on: September 13, 2010, 04:37:37 pm »
looks good, i like it
Current Projects:      Zak-Man | TMNT Pedestal | SNES Pi | N64 Odroid
Former Projects:     4 Player Showcase | Donkey Kong | iCade

Rick

• Offline Offline
« Reply #54 on: September 13, 2010, 04:40:11 pm »
Now lets see some sawdust.  8)

Oh, soon, sir!  I actually need another 1/2 a sheet of MDF to finish off my home reno, so you KNOW what I'm using the other 1/2 for.

;)

KagatoAMV

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 23, 2020, 02:13:32 pm
« Reply #55 on: September 13, 2010, 05:01:17 pm »
I'm looking forward to seeing this take shape. ;D

Roo

• Offline Offline
« Reply #56 on: September 13, 2010, 10:33:33 pm »
Here are version 2 renders based on the images provided by Roo.  As far as the geometry goes this version is very close to the 'real thing'.   In the 1st version I did, the monitor was tilted back 10 degrees, to be true to the original I restored it to the vertical. Colours and textures updated as well.  When you are ready I can PM higher res profile images to prepare cutting plans from.  I leave it to you now Rick to adopt what you like from the renders.  It was fun drawing these and great to get good source material to work from.

Ond

O.M.G. !!!   :applaud:

Those are just incredible!  :notworthy:

If only I had the time to put into woodworking like I have for the graphics, this thing would be done by now.

;)

Anyhow, without further ado, I present to you some ideas for the cab.  As always, I invite your critiques, ideas and input, as this is in no way a finished product.  I'm always thinking, and redesigning and working on things, so any ideas you have, please let me know.

First of all, from the inspiration of rikitiki, who brought us the Encom Prototype Virtual Pinball, I had the idea to create a manufacturing sticker for the back of the cabinet, to honor it's creation date and (pending) backstory.  (Oh, there's more to come, believe me, that will make this thread pale by comparison!)

(Yes.  My cabinet DOES, in fact, have a 550MW internal fusion cell.)

;D

Secondly, I have also affixed an "asset tag" so that the Mars base can adequately track stock of all equipment that is in active circulation...

Last, this is my planned mock-up for the control panel...  You might note I'm using "Classic Doom" fonts for the text.

So, this is what I have so far...  Thoughts?

I love the extras!

I think the CP art is really nice too.  I like the way it enhances the in-game version, but stays true to the spirit!

:applaud:
« Last Edit: September 13, 2010, 10:37:34 pm by Roo »

Rick

• Offline Offline
« Reply #57 on: September 14, 2010, 08:53:28 am »
O.M.G. !!!   :applaud:

Those are just incredible!  :notworthy:

x ∞ ...  I agree.  Both of you were instrumental in giving me my build design, and thank you.

I love the extras!

I think the CP art is really nice too.  I like the way it enhances the in-game version, but stays true to the spirit!

:applaud:

Thanks!  I'm really happy to see that back image (ty, Roo!) so that I already know where my labels are going to be affixed.  I might have to mod up the colours on the CP art, as I believe the red surround on the "Player One" text might need to be changed to a grey variant, or something similar.  Not certain as yet.

I keep checking this, every day:

I wish Canada Customs took less time looking at my stuff, and more time moving them along.  I can't wait for my parts to arrive.

;D

newkillergenius

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 21, 2013, 03:48:35 pm
  • A mind is a terrible thing to taste.
    • The Mystery Revealed!
« Reply #58 on: September 14, 2010, 10:25:05 am »
Rick-

I laughed ---my bottom--- off

good luck man  :cheers:

Don't ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- where you eat, my friend.

Rick

• Offline Offline
« Reply #59 on: September 14, 2010, 10:27:43 am »
I laughed ---my bottom--- off

good luck man  :cheers:

Thanks!  After all is said and done, my shipment (of which the order was placed before the shift into Doom mode) will have about 10 extra 'black' buttons and 6 extra 'red' buttons, but my own 'proof of concept' will be starting soon!  I plan a driving trip (30 minutes - woot!) out to the Playdium Store to pick up some nice colored buttons (4 green and 4 blue!) soon, and then, my CP will be 'true to form'.

shrunkenmaster

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 24, 2022, 10:17:33 am
« Reply #60 on: September 14, 2010, 11:58:20 am »
Hey Rick, just seen this thread - what a great theme choice. Loving the artwork by Ond, Roo and your good self. Will follow this with great interest, good luck on your mission!

DCsegaDH

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 18, 2013, 04:14:10 pm
« Reply #61 on: September 14, 2010, 12:08:35 pm »
Interesting project :applaud:

Lewis Black

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 17, 2012, 08:14:10 am
  • Baaaah Eff it!
« Reply #62 on: September 14, 2010, 01:04:54 pm »
Very cool idea.  Be careful though, you will probably need to modify the angle of the monitor so that it is comfortable to view when standing in front of the cab. As it is the monitor is at a perfect viewing angle if your eyes are at nipple-level :)

Rick

• Offline Offline
« Reply #63 on: September 14, 2010, 01:28:26 pm »
Very cool idea.  Be careful though, you will probably need to modify the angle of the monitor so that it is comfortable to view when standing in front of the cab. As it is the monitor is at a perfect viewing angle if your eyes are at nipple-level :)

Agreed.  I believe that will be an integral part of "Version 2.0", and will likely be reflected in the Sales Brochure.  (GAH!  I've said too much!)

:angry:

;) :laugh: ;D

Lewis Black

• Offline Offline
  • Baaaah Eff it!
« Reply #64 on: September 14, 2010, 01:34:46 pm »
Pixelhugger?

Rick

• Offline Offline
« Reply #65 on: September 14, 2010, 01:36:33 pm »
Pixelhugger?

I'm sorry, but I don't understand the reference.  (Don't let the enthusiasm and post count fool you.  I'm still very new here.)

;D

Lewis Black

• Offline Offline
  • Baaaah Eff it!
« Reply #66 on: September 14, 2010, 01:40:11 pm »
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=13118.0

Look at his .sig and read the thread - he had a mock flyer for his cab before he even cut wood.

Rick

• Offline Offline
« Reply #67 on: September 14, 2010, 04:21:12 pm »
Look at his .sig and read the thread - he had a mock flyer for his cab before he even cut wood.

AH!  I always saw that, but didn't get that it wasn't actually 'professionally done'.  (No offense to Pixelhugger, of course!)  I always thought that someone had written an article about him, and never thought that he had done that!  (Damn, I'm in good company then!)

;D

Onto some of today's work, and I think I'd like some input from the group.  I've come up with a design for the CP, and have created a 'variant' as well, which I'd appreciate some feedback on.  First, the main design, very heavily reliant on the awesome work from both Roo and Ond:

This design relies on simplicity, with my own little tweaks here and there in regards to the text.  The P1 and P2 buttons are pretty much 'stock', as you would see in the cab as it came off the assembly line.  I would, of course, need to rely on coin door switches for coin drops for each P1 and P2, but that's not really a problem either.

Now, the variant:

If I went this direction, it would move the P1 and P2 buttons outward, making them less confusing (if that's even an issue) and pairs them with a "Coin" button each.  This would remove the requirement for people to 'bend down' out of gaming position to insert more virtual coins.  Of course, going this route, I had to add more text around everything, and I'm concerned it might be a bit too much.  Simplicity is a big thing for me, and because of that, the original is appealing in that regard.

You'll note in both drawings, there is a 'darker' bit of the red in there, which is where I'm planning on putting the plexi covering.  As you'll note, there's no real 'art' per se, and for that, I'm also looking for suggestions for the printing of the labels.  Do I go with a full sheet, or multiple, smaller pieces of printout?  Also, does anyone know if there's an option to print 'clear' or 'transparent' paper?  I'm also concerned that, even if printed on transparency, that it would be more visible under the plexi.  (I could, of course, print a single, large piece of transparency for the entire CP top, which might negate the entire issue.  I'll let the experts chime in on this one!)

The size I also chose (so far) is 24" wide by 12" deep.  Is this adequate?  I also used one of the "Slagcoin" layouts (from here, and specifically, this one) for my buttons and joystick configuration.  If someone can open this up and tell me if it's 'playable' (i.e. do fingers and joysticks and such all line up) and if the spacing between the players is acceptable, then I would be greatly appreciative.  I'm sure I'll end up building a panel, drilling and installing before I find the 'sweet spot', but some reassurance is always a good thing!

;D

Roo

• Offline Offline
« Reply #68 on: September 14, 2010, 11:41:28 pm »
I'm voting for the first design.  Admin and coin buttons are something that I've never liked (just my personal opinion).  They scream "MAME machine".  I'd vote for keeping those types of function buttons hidden.  I don't think it's a big issue to bend over to insert a coin, that certainly never stopped me when I was a kid int he arcade!  What stopped me was when I ran out of quarters   ;D  

You'll note in both drawings, there is a 'darker' bit of the red in there, which is where I'm planning on putting the plexi covering.  As you'll note, there's no real 'art' per se, and for that, I'm also looking for suggestions for the printing of the labels.  Do I go with a full sheet, or multiple, smaller pieces of printout?  Also, does anyone know if there's an option to print 'clear' or 'transparent' paper?  I'm also concerned that, even if printed on transparency, that it would be more visible under the plexi.  (I could, of course, print a single, large piece of transparency for the entire CP top, which might negate the entire issue.  I'll let the experts chime in on this one!)

I think the method that would be least visible would be to have graphics cut to the exact size, and then adhered somehow to the top of the CP under the plexi.  I think that would look most "authentic" to a real arcade cab.

The size I also chose (so far) is 24" wide by 12" deep.  Is this adequate?  I also used one of the "Slagcoin" layouts (from here, and specifically, this one) for my buttons and joystick configuration.  If someone can open this up and tell me if it's 'playable' (i.e. do fingers and joysticks and such all line up) and if the spacing between the players is acceptable, then I would be greatly appreciative.  I'm sure I'll end up building a panel, drilling and installing before I find the 'sweet spot', but some reassurance is always a good thing!

I settled on 28" but that included a trackball.  I think 24" is a good size if you don't have a trackball.  I used the slagcoin layouts as well.  I think they really nailed it when it comes to usable and comfortable layouts.  I went with the one that was angled, but that's a design choice here, since the in game one is straight across buttons.  My first cab was a commercial MAME cab and the buttons were straight across.  It never bothered me, but after testing out the angled layout, I found I liked it even better.

If you want to get rid of any nagging doubts, I'd say go to your local hardware store and buy a cheap piece of particle board or MDF and mock it up.  I guess you could even go cheaper with cardboard   :P

Looking good!   :applaud:

« Last Edit: September 14, 2010, 11:46:22 pm by Roo »

Rick

• Offline Offline
« Reply #69 on: September 15, 2010, 11:35:56 am »
I'm voting for the first design.  Admin and coin buttons are something that I've never liked (just my personal opinion).  They scream "MAME machine".  I'd vote for keeping those types of function buttons hidden.  I don't think it's a big issue to bend over to insert a coin, that certainly never stopped me when I was a kid in the arcade!  What stopped me was when I ran out of quarters   ;D

I think you're right.  If I go too far away from the original design, I'll end up disliking it too much.  And you're right, bending for the coin isn't that huge of a deal, in the grand scheme of things.  I also didn't really like so many labels on the top.  I want it simple.

Now, unfortunately, I DO want simple controls for the menu system, and I cannot stand the 'hidden' control ideas that have been used on others' cabs.  (No offense.)  Simply put, if someone stands in front of the game, I don't want to have to say, "Oh, press P1 button 1 and hold the joystick to the left to exit the game" or some such.  That being said, there's no way I'm adding more buttons to the main CP.  Rather, I figure we can subtly put them the small vertical panel which is just behind the CP, and is a darker colour.  I'm considering something like this:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but in using Maximus Arcade, I should be able to navigate from the main menu to a specific submenu (i.e. MAME, Atari 2600, etc), select a game to play, exit said games after playing to the submenu, and then return to the main menu, with the buttons I'm including.  I'm also planning on making the power button perform a Windows Shutdown, so that way, all of the programs running (Maximus, MAME, etc.) should shut down, respectively, and then power down the machine.  The volume buttons are there for my Wife.  ;)  (Just kidding, Baby.)  They're actually there to balance the Admin panel, and because I want control over the volume, again, without some funky button combination.  (I have two boys - you never know when they'll find the master code.)

I think the method that would be least visible would be to have graphics cut to the exact size, and then adhered somehow to the top of the CP under the plexi.  I think that would look most "authentic" to a real arcade cab.

Again, I agree.  I figure my print shop should be able to do that fairly easily.  It will also allow the colour of the cab to show through well, which is a must.

I settled on 28" but that included a trackball.  I think 24" is a good size if you don't have a trackball.  I used the slagcoin layouts as well.  I think they really nailed it when it comes to usable and comfortable layouts.  I went with the one that was angled, but that's a design choice here, since the in game one is straight across buttons.  My first cab was a commercial MAME cab and the buttons were straight across.  It never bothered me, but after testing out the angled layout, I found I liked it even better.

I can't do it.  It's going to be straight buttons for me - and actually for two reasons.  One, it's exactly like the screenshots.  (You knew that, though.)  Two, I have the strangest play-style you've ever seen.  I use a crossover grip.  Basically, I'm right-handed, and my right hand uses the joystick while my left hand (under the right wrist) is controlling the buttons.  A curved layout wouldn't work as well for me, and hey - I'm selfish.

;)

If you want to get rid of any nagging doubts, I'd say go to your local hardware store and buy a cheap piece of particle board or MDF and mock it up.  I guess you could even go cheaper with cardboard   :P

Don't tell my Wife the 'cardboard' thing.  I'm looking to do a mockup/final build with my first cuts!  Don't give her any ideas, or you'll see the whole thing built out of used pizza boxes!

;D

Looking good!   :applaud:

* Rick bows.

Thank you, thank you.  Now, I just have to get it out of my head and into the real world.  (I'm sure that's why I don't have as many comments - it's one thing to read "oh, he's building a Doom cab, neat" but quite another to - see - it being built.)

Rick

Rick

• Offline Offline
"DOOMED!" - Super Turbo Turkey Puncher 3 - UPDATED 2010.09.17 (now, with a TV!)
« Reply #70 on: September 17, 2010, 12:28:01 pm »
I have a good news/bad news story.

First, the good news.  I was on my local Freecycle site yesterday morning, and someone posted a 27" Sanyo TV for free pickup in my area.  I sent my E-Mail requesting it, and waited.  Last night, I received an 'upset' sounding E-Mail, saying that the offer had been provided to TWO other people, none of which had bothered to show up, and if I wanted the monitor, I'd need to pick it up ASAP.  Well, I was with my Family at that point, and had put in my original E-Mail that I would be able to pick it up as early as this morning.  So, I responded and said I could be there this morning, as I had promised, but would completely understand if he wanted to freecycle it to another person, if they could pick it up sooner.  After about an hour, I received word that I could pick it up.  (I believe he had probably exhausted a couple more leads, and was just happy to be rid of it.  So is the freecycle game, sometimes.)  I drove about twenty minutes, and picked up a very dusty TV and remote from his front steps.  I was smiling.

Now, my Wife drives a 2008 Suzuki Sprint, so it was a bit of a challenge getting it into the trunk.  I had to tip both seats forward, and when I looked in the rear view, it was taking up the entire view.  (That actually made me smile too, as this thing is a BEAST, and will complement the cab perfectly.)  I got back onto the highway, and got up to speed, when I saw something in my vision that was moving and out-of-focus...  ...until it came to rest on my cheek.  It was a wasp, and probably about an inch in length.  I was already driving, so I swatted it away, and opened the window for it to escape.  I consider myself lucky I didn't get stung.  (I'm sure it was just more interested in getting away than picking a fight, which was more good news.)

I got home, opened my doors and the trunk lid, and brought the TV inside.  That's where the bad news happened.  I'm not certain if I hadn't noticed it, or if the ride in the car caused it, but there's a 2" scratch in almost the dead centre of the picture tube.  The TV was so dusty that it didn't look too deep, but I could feel a bit of it when I ran my fingers over it.  I was pretty cheesed, but I can't fault the guy for it.  Not knowing if it was already there, I can't tell him he's supposed to tell you if there's damage.  I'm betting it was, however, because there are larger scratches all over the case.  (I didn't care much about that, since it's going to be decased anyway.)

Anyhow, I'm going to do my best to clean it up and use it for my Project.  Worst case scenario is, I assemble everything and find another donor monitor later.  Obviously, if the scratch is overly noticeable, it won't be in the cab for long, and will likely find itself back on Freecycle.

(Oh, and I checked my mail again - still no parts from GGG.  No fault of theirs, of course.  Canada Post's tracking still tells me it's in the hands of Canada Customs.  That makes 5 days now.  I hate Customs.)

:-\

I like my TV though.

;D

newkillergenius

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 21, 2013, 03:48:35 pm
  • A mind is a terrible thing to taste.
    • The Mystery Revealed!
Bummer about the scratch, but I can tell you we had a 19'' tv that was placed against a concrete step during a move, and someone pressed up against it and scratched the front of the tube a little.  But, when it was on, it was barely noticeable.  Of course, not the keeper, but it shouldn't drive you too batty in the meantime, and a great item for the initial testing anyway.

Glad you didn't wreck the Suzuki battling an angry wasp!   :o

Don't ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- where you eat, my friend.

Rick

• Offline Offline
Re: "DOOMED!" - Super Turbo Turkey Puncher 3 - UPDATED 2010.09.21
« Reply #72 on: September 21, 2010, 02:35:43 pm »
So, I've been diligently awaiting Canada Customs to release my shipment from GGG (y'arr) and have been working on learning a bit of Sketchup.  So, after hours of toying with my control panel, I was panning it around my screen to get a better view when I noticed something.  This is what I created, close to the original layout...

...and it strikes me how much it looks like this...

Does anybody else think that someone in the software modeling lab had the thought of making the control panel look like the outline of the original DOOM logo?  I think that explains why the panel had such an odd shape!  I never - NEVER - noticed it before.  (More pics are coming as soon as I figure out the top.)

;D

push2reject

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 28, 2014, 06:55:40 pm
« Reply #73 on: September 21, 2010, 03:09:39 pm »
So, I've been diligently awaiting Canada Customs to release my shipment from GGG (y'arr) and have been working on learning a bit of Sketchup.  So, after hours of toying with my control panel, I was panning it around my screen to get a better view when I noticed something.  This is what I created, close to the original layout...

...and it strikes me how much it looks like this...

Does anybody else think that someone in the software modeling lab had the thought of making the control panel look like the outline of the original DOOM logo?  I think that explains why the panel had such an odd shape!  I never - NEVER - noticed it before.  (More pics are coming as soon as I figure out the top.)

;D
You could put the logo across the CPO as a very subtile watermark.  Nothing that takes away from the design just something for folks to see when they take a close look.
On the other side of the screen, it all looks so easy.  -Kevin Flynn

Rick

• Offline Offline
« Reply #74 on: September 21, 2010, 03:21:06 pm »
You could put the logo across the CPO as a very subtile watermark.  Nothing that takes away from the design just something for folks to see when they take a close look.

You read my mind.  I'm playing with some ideas with lighting the plexi (note the raised sections on the left and right) and was thinking that a laser etched image might be in order...

;D

severdhed

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 07, 2022, 04:45:32 pm
  • RIP Dinosaur Hippo
« Reply #75 on: September 21, 2010, 10:12:00 pm »
having a doom logo etched into the plexi would be too awesome, although probably difficult to accomplish
Current Projects:      Zak-Man | TMNT Pedestal | SNES Pi | N64 Odroid
Former Projects:     4 Player Showcase | Donkey Kong | iCade

Nips916

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 28, 2017, 07:50:52 pm
« Reply #76 on: September 22, 2010, 11:41:50 am »
I don't think that having the logo etch would be all that hard.  I had my plexi cp top cut with a laser and they offer laser etching on the same machine.  Laser alliance llc,  I had a great expirience with alan.  Give it a look.

Rick

• Offline Offline
« Reply #77 on: September 22, 2010, 02:10:28 pm »
I don't think that having the logo etch would be all that hard.  I had my plexi cp top cut with a laser and they offer laser etching on the same machine.  Laser alliance llc,  I had a great expirience with alan.  Give it a look.

I've been toying with this idea - actually, in two differing ways.  I am planning on having some LEDs along the top left and right edges of the plexi to transmit some amber glow across it, but this is going to take some trial and error I'm sure.  When I started thinking about the options, I came across no end of good ideas.

My first thought was a single laser etched "Doom" logo in the background (as in a post above), and the second would be two layers of plexi, one with the Doom logo (on top) with a yellowy glow, and the Doom 3 pentagram beneath, with a reddish-amber glow.  With the LED Wiz, I'm pretty sure I could program the Doom logo to 'fade in' and glow on start, with the flickering pentagram in the background...  The two pics, for reference:

and

Of course, I also had other questions in regards to thickness of the plexi, how multiple edges would look sandwiched together, etc.  This was actually inspirational - link here:

This guy had multiple layers, and it came out really nicely.

Now, my challenge is - if I DO go with the etching, will the CP graphics still be as visible through them, without looking too fuzzy...

Anyone who has had experience with this, I'd be interested in your feedback.  I will have plexi on the panel, but whether or not it will be lit or not is still up in the air.  The 'good news' is that it should be interchangeable, so worst-case scenario, I will be able to change it out if I need to.

AlienInferno

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 05, 2024, 09:58:54 pm
Re: "DOOMED!" - Super Turbo Turkey Puncher 3 - UPDATED 2010.09.22
« Reply #78 on: September 23, 2010, 12:08:24 am »
This is going to look awesome when finished.  Keep it up.  Sure blows my cab ideas out of the water.

Rick

• Offline Offline
Re: "DOOMED!" - Super Turbo Turkey Puncher 3 - UPDATED 2010.09.22
« Reply #79 on: September 23, 2010, 03:50:31 pm »
This is going to look awesome when finished.  Keep it up.

Thanks!  I did a bit of work last night on the render, and I think I'm close to knowing how much wood I'll need - and how heavy this beast is going to be when I'm done!

It's still rough, and I don't have the dimensions for the TV plugged in there yet, but it's a start.  Also - I received my parts in the mail today!  Woo!