Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: "DOOM'D!" -- A return to Super Turbo Turkey Puncher 3  (Read 125604 times)

Rick

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 09, 2023, 01:16:55 pm
  • Bartop, Cocktail and Pinball Arcade Cabinets
    • Gameroom Designs Canada
"DOOM'D!" -- A return to Super Turbo Turkey Puncher 3
« on: July 29, 2010, 03:53:10 pm »
As many of you have already read, I have waffled on some of my original build ideas, and have since decided to go with a cab themed after the Arcade Game found in the Kitchen of the Mars Base in the classic game DOOM 3.  If any of you have played this game, you should immediately recognize "Super Turbo Turkey Puncher 3" as one of the in-game Easter Eggs.  If not, here's a small vid:

Anyhow, please enjoy reading through the messages below, to see how we have come to this point.  And, fittingly enough, it looks like we've come full circle, as the message below is actually my first post on BYOAC.

Enjoy!

Rick

Ninja Edit: Heh.  Do I change the title of this thread enough, or what?

:laugh:

---------------------------------------------------------

Hi All,

This is my first post here, so it's as much an introduction as it is my foray into the wonderful world of MAME building.  Let me just say that some of the work you guys have done is simply AMAZING, and an inspiration to behold.  I've bookmarked so many awesome cabs here, that it's hard to keep up, but I am working on a design along the lines of Knievel's and Mountain's builds, as (for my requirements) they seem to be the benchmark by which all cabs could aspire.

:o

I love tooling around with some graphic design software, so I've been designing some of the graphics for my own cab...  I'll share my marquee idea, as I'm still working on the others:

I do have a couple of questions in regards to the layout (yes, I've been all over the site and the wiki in search of the answers) and I hope someone can answer some of my rudimentary questions.  This will help me to complete the control panel graphics as well.  I am looking to build a two player, six-button machine, and do also like the ability to have a dedicated 4-way joystick control, spinner and trackball.  That being said, I have some questions.

1. I've noticed that some people have a seventh button, and I believe I read that it's for some 'Neo Geo' games.  Is it, in fact, a 'seventh button', and if so, how important is it?  Am I going to lose the ability to play 'most' or 'best' Neo Geo games?  (As in, "omg, the BEST GAME OF ALL TIME needs the seventh button!!!")  Or, is it negligible?  (As in, "only 1 of 50 games uses it.")

2. If I have a "Player 1" and "Player 2" joystick configuration, how is the 4 Way Joystick usually wired?  Is it wired in parallel with the "Player 1" joystick, or is it usually wired to separate connections?  (I understand I'll be configuring a lot of the inputs via both hardware and software, but would like to figure this out.)

3. I've noticed that a lot of cabs have 'pinball-style' buttons on the left and right sides.  What confused me most was that many of them have TWO of these buttons.  As there are usually two flippers, what are the additional buttons for?  Also, are the buttons wired in parallel with anything else (i.e. Player 1's Button 1 and Button 2?) so that they're not 'required' but more of an 'optional feature'?

4. If I plan on installing both a Spinner and a Trackball, I believe that most of the more 'popular' makes use USB connections for each one.  Is this so?  Is it as simple as saying that my Spinner is connected to USB 1 and my Trackball is connected to USB 2?  Some configurations also show some (usually two) buttons beside the spinner.  Is there a reason for this, usually?  (And again, are they wired in parallel with anything?)

5. I've noticed that each Player seems to require both a "Player" button (P1/P2, etc.) as well as their own, dedicated "Insert Coin" button.  Is this so?

I think that's it for the questions.  Hopefully, someone will be able to give me a hand in this department...  (Of course, if there are resources available that answers each of these, then I'd be happy to read them.)

I'm really, really excited to get started.  You can ask my Wife.  Sadly, it looks like this will likely 'ramp up' in the Fall, as I am in the midst of completing my main floor renovations, and then, I've been advised that I have to complete the bathroom.  (I've bugged my Wife about the MAME cab for a week now, so that whenever I mention it, she simply replies, "Bathroom", and I'm snapped back to reality.)  That being said, there's no reason I can't start the planning stages now...  ...and that's why I'm here.  I'm excited.  I've got the initiative, and this 'new project' is undoubtedly going to keep me spurred on to complete my other renos first - and quicker, I'd wager - so that I can get going on my own cab.

Rick

;D

---------------------------------------------------------

Archive of Great or Inspiring Posts:  Ok, as of right now, I'm going to input some of the more inspiring ideas that people have posted (whether in this thread or others) here, so that I can *remember* them!

The way I setup dual sticks for the same player was simple, wire the UDLR to both but wire the ground to a toggle switch. Pretty much insures no one can mess with it while you are playing... plus its great when little kids want to "play" the game while you are playing.

Love this idea.  I haven't seen it mentioned before, but as the Father of two kids, I can see where this would be helpful!

this info is in the wiki under the Hiding Windows section.
http://wiki.arcadecontrols.com/wiki/Hiding_Windows

here is how to get rid of the shutting down messages:

Getting rid of the "Loading settings" Popup screens

The following will hide the dialog box that appears that the beggining of Windows startup informing you that the system is "Loading Settings".
To do this,follow these steps:
Go to, Start Menu -> Run and enter regedit
Navigate to entry:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE>Software>Microsoft>Windows>CurrentVersion>Policies>System
If there is an entry for "DisableStatusMessages" set it to 1 (the digit one)
If there is no entry, right-mouse click the "System" word, and select New->DWORD value, and enter "DisableStatusMessages", right-mouse to edit the value of it, and enter 1 (the digit one).
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 04:21:25 pm by Rick »

jholman76

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 05, 2015, 03:40:45 pm
Re: The "Elphinstone Arcade" Project
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2010, 04:01:43 pm »
I can hopefully answer 5

5: The reason that each player has their own coin and and start because some games required that. (4-player cabs, see Gauntlet, TMNT, XMEN, etc) where if you have a group of strangers playing, this segregates who put money in and when you need to continue or join in.

joe

Rick

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2010, 04:04:27 pm »
5: The reason that each player has their own coin and and start because some games required that. (4-player cabs, see Gauntlet, TMNT, XMEN, etc) where if you have a group of strangers playing, this segregates who put money in and when you need to continue or join in.

Well, sheez.  I should have been able to figure that one out.  Damn.

::)

Thanks, Joe.  That makes sense.

;D

That's my problem - I've been a PC gamer for the past 20+ years, and haven't set foot in an arcade since around that time...  I've forgotten my childhood!

Rick

jholman76

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2010, 04:09:07 pm »
no problem. I'm sure all of these will be answered by tonight...

but as for #1. the 7th button is by choice only. You can play with 6, some purists like to have the original ergo-ish feel. I have it on my CP, but its just wired the same as button 1. I should have probably made it independent, but I guess foresight is 20/20!

its all up to you. some like it as the "run" button in MK3 games, too.

joe

GoingIncognito

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 23, 2011, 12:57:44 am
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2010, 04:13:01 pm »
I think Neo-Geo only used 4 buttons anyway, but had one of the buttons offset for your thumb.  I guess the 7 button layout with the offset button is called Neo-Geo because of the offset, not the number of buttons.  I could be wrong, though.

Rick

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2010, 04:14:08 pm »
but as for #1. the 7th button is by choice only. You can play with 6, some purists like to have the original ergo-ish feel. I have it on my CP, but its just wired the same as button 1. I should have probably made it independent, but I guess foresight is 20/20!

its all up to you. some like it as the "run" button in MK3 games, too.

Good to know.  I was struggling with the 'offset'/Neo Geo feel of the buttons, but I'm leaning towards the 6 button 'flat' look to the layout.  I'm a righty, and have always played with my hands inverted - left hand on buttons, and right hand on joystick.  The Neo Geo layout would be murder for me to play with.

Rick

jholman76

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2010, 04:22:57 pm »
yah, for the Neo-Geo setup, you only use the bottom 4 buttons since thats all they had. the top 3 just get ignored.

as for being a righty with the stick, there are several cabinets/bartops from Europe on this board that are set up that way. Its funky to see for me since I'm used to the standard SFII setup, but when I think of using a spinner... the right hand is the only way to use it, so I can see how that can be adapted.

joe

Benevolance

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 10, 2019, 03:13:59 pm
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2010, 05:54:55 pm »
Re: 1 - I did the 6 button layout, and just use the 1st button of the 2nd row as the Neo Geo button. It works for me, but I play the games with my thumb on the bottom row button, and three fingers on the top. So one finger per button. Mileage may vary.

Re: 3 - I think those are used for 'bumps', since you cannot physically bump the cabinet and affect the virtual playfield.

Re: 4 - I used the Groovy game gear spinner and trackball, and it was literally as simple as plugging it in and configuring the inputs in mame. Piece of cake, highly recommend it. The two buttons are for convenient button pressing during trackball games, and also double as a left-right mouse button combo since the trackball is emulated as a mouse. I've found it very handy to have the extra two buttons, since I use my cabinet as a media center, and not just an arcade cabinet. But there is no reason you couldn't just configure mame to use buttons from the P1 or P2 play space.

Rick

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2010, 10:51:34 pm »
Re: 1 - I did the 6 button layout, and just use the 1st button of the 2nd row as the Neo Geo button. It works for me, but I play the games with my thumb on the bottom row button, and three fingers on the top. So one finger per button. Mileage may vary.

Makes sense to me.  6 buttons it is!

Re: 3 - I think those are used for 'bumps', since you cannot physically bump the cabinet and affect the virtual playfield.

That's what I was thinking they might be...  I'm guessing (hoping) that they'll be wired together with the P1 Button 1, 2, 3 and 4, but I'll wait for confirmation on that one.

Re: 4 - I used the Groovy game gear spinner and trackball, and it was literally as simple as plugging it in and configuring the inputs in mame. Piece of cake, highly recommend it. The two buttons are for convenient button pressing during trackball games, and also double as a left-right mouse button combo since the trackball is emulated as a mouse. I've found it very handy to have the extra two buttons, since I use my cabinet as a media center, and not just an arcade cabinet. But there is no reason you couldn't just configure mame to use buttons from the P1 or P2 play space.

Awesome.  Exactly what I was hoping.  GroovyGameGear is exactly where I'm considering buying the spinner and trackball.

Thanks!

Rick

Rick

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2010, 08:47:07 pm »
Is anyone able to answer the outstanding questions?

2. If I have a "Player 1" and "Player 2" joystick configuration, how is the 4 Way Joystick usually wired?  Is it wired in parallel with the "Player 1" joystick, or is it usually wired to separate connections?  (I understand I'll be configuring a lot of the inputs via both hardware and software, but would like to figure this out.)

5. I've noticed that each Player seems to require both a "Player" button (P1/P2, etc.) as well as their own, dedicated "Insert Coin" button.  Is this so?

Thanks a bunch!

Rick

mgb

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 21, 2024, 06:18:13 pm
  • North East, US
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2010, 11:12:36 pm »
Yeah Rick,
 Typically when someone wires in two 8-way joysticks and one 4-way joystick, they would parallel the 4-way to the player 1 8-way.
I personally am making a change on my new pnael and I'm using just two joysticks (sanwa JLWs) since I am usually the only one playing my machine, I will just keep the player 2 joystick in 4-way mode (via rotatable restrictor) and I will map my 4-way games to both joysticks giving me the choice. :blah:

for your next question, yeah you need both a p1 start and p2 start for any game that has 2 players

Rick

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2010, 04:52:04 pm »
Yeah Rick,
 Typically when someone wires in two 8-way joysticks and one 4-way joystick, they would parallel the 4-way to the player 1 8-way.
I personally am making a change on my new pnael and I'm using just two joysticks (sanwa JLWs) since I am usually the only one playing my machine, I will just keep the player 2 joystick in 4-way mode (via rotatable restrictor) and I will map my 4-way games to both joysticks giving me the choice. :blah:

for your next question, yeah you need both a p1 start and p2 start for any game that has 2 players

Awesome info.  Thanks to everybody for letting me know.  I have a Quad-core system coming to be (a gift from a buddy) which is going to be dedicated to my new MAME cab, so keep checking back.  I'll update it as I go!

Thanks again.

Rick

Rick

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2010, 01:25:31 pm »
Hurm.  I've got someone who is giving away a 26" Sony Trinitron, and now I'm torn.  My Wife doesn't want me working on the project until I've completed some other repairs (granted, that's a smart idea right now - too many irons in the fire), and I don't have the space to keep a spare TV just sitting around, but this is a pretty sweet deal.  "Free" is always nice, and you can't beat a Trinitron for picture most times.  The timing is just off for me to pick it up, and I'm certain my Wife wouldn't take too kindly to it...

What to do.  What to do.

:-\

muppets4

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 21, 2017, 08:32:46 am
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2010, 03:47:04 pm »
This forum is for tips and tricks on creating arcademachines. And the users do a good job doing that. Relational advice is tricky. Joysticks is an other story.....

EvilNuff

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 24, 2024, 04:41:13 pm
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2010, 07:53:53 pm »
I'd love to see more of your art?  I've no clue what that is but it looks fantastic.  Font is a bit rough to make out the letters if you don't know what it says or at least it was for me.  Nice start.

Roo

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 15, 2010, 09:17:03 pm
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2010, 11:10:43 pm »
There's a lot of good answers already, but I had a few thoughts to add...  Some of this might have already been said, I'm too lazy tonight to cross reference all my answers   ;D

1. I've noticed that some people have a seventh button, and I believe I read that it's for some 'Neo Geo' games.  Is it, in fact, a 'seventh button', and if so, how important is it?  Am I going to lose the ability to play 'most' or 'best' Neo Geo games?  (As in, "omg, the BEST GAME OF ALL TIME needs the seventh button!!!")  Or, is it negligible?  (As in, "only 1 of 50 games uses it.")

Yes, 4 buttons in an row makes it nice for NeoGeo games, but a 7th (independently wired) button is also useful for other emulators, like Dreamcast, PSX or N64

2. If I have a "Player 1" and "Player 2" joystick configuration, how is the 4 Way Joystick usually wired?  Is it wired in parallel with the "Player 1" joystick, or is it usually wired to separate connections?  (I understand I'll be configuring a lot of the inputs via both hardware and software, but would like to figure this out.)

Normally the dedicated 4 way is wired in parallel with player 1's 8 way stick.

3. I've noticed that a lot of cabs have 'pinball-style' buttons on the left and right sides.  What confused me most was that many of them have TWO of these buttons.  As there are usually two flippers, what are the additional buttons for?  Also, are the buttons wired in parallel with anything else (i.e. Player 1's Button 1 and Button 2?) so that they're not 'required' but more of an 'optional feature'?

I believe they're for nudge left and right

4. If I plan on installing both a Spinner and a Trackball, I believe that most of the more 'popular' makes use USB connections for each one.  Is this so?  Is it as simple as saying that my Spinner is connected to USB 1 and my Trackball is connected to USB 2?  Some configurations also show some (usually two) buttons beside the spinner.  Is there a reason for this, usually?  (And again, are they wired in parallel with anything?)

I got my trackball from Ultimarc and my spinner from Groovy Game Gear.  They are both independant USB devices, but I have them plugged into a powered USB hub which drives the seven USB devices in my CP.  Some people like having dedicated left and right mouse buttons for using the trackball to control Windows.  You can also make some other, lesser-used buttons on the CP serve that purpose.

5. I've noticed that each Player seems to require both a "Player" button (P1/P2, etc.) as well as their own, dedicated "Insert Coin" button.  Is this so?

Yes, some games only work when a coin is inserted in the correct coin slot.  Gauntlet is a popular game that worked this way - in order to play the warrior you have to press 5 in MAME, Valkyre is 6, Wizard is 7 and Elf is 8.

I'm really, really excited to get started.  You can ask my Wife.  Sadly, it looks like this will likely 'ramp up' in the Fall, as I am in the midst of completing my main floor renovations, and then, I've been advised that I have to complete the bathroom.  (I've bugged my Wife about the MAME cab for a week now, so that whenever I mention it, she simply replies, "Bathroom", and I'm snapped back to reality.)  That being said, there's no reason I can't start the planning stages now...  ...and that's why I'm here.  I'm excited.  I've got the initiative, and this 'new project' is undoubtedly going to keep me spurred on to complete my other renos first - and quicker, I'd wager - so that I can get going on my own cab.

Rick

;D

It may work to your advantage - the more planning you can do up front, the less frustration / disappointment you may have to deal with later    :lol

Edit - bah I'm answering 2 week old posts now.  Sorry, I didn't notice your first post was older...
« Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 11:14:45 pm by Roo »

Rick

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2010, 11:44:20 am »
I'd love to see more of your art?  I've no clue what that is but it looks fantastic.  Font is a bit rough to make out the letters if you don't know what it says or at least it was for me.  Nice start.

Beyond the font and text work, I cannot claim responsibility for the background art.  I downloaded some free graphics that are normally used as wallpaper from http://www.wincustomize.com, and cropped them for the background.  I'm certainly not great when it comes to graphics, so I rely on the fantastic works of others.  OH, and a quick mention - if you right-click on the graphic (above) and click "View", you'll get it full-size, so you can read it a bit better.

There's a lot of good answers already, but I had a few thoughts to add...  Some of this might have already been said, I'm too lazy tonight to cross reference all my answers   ;D

Yes, 4 buttons in an row makes it nice for NeoGeo games, but a 7th (independently wired) button is also useful for other emulators, like Dreamcast, PSX or N64

Normally the dedicated 4 way is wired in parallel with player 1's 8 way stick.

I believe they're for nudge left and right

I got my trackball from Ultimarc and my spinner from Groovy Game Gear.  They are both independant USB devices, but I have them plugged into a powered USB hub which drives the seven USB devices in my CP.  Some people like having dedicated left and right mouse buttons for using the trackball to control Windows.  You can also make some other, lesser-used buttons on the CP serve that purpose.

Yes, some games only work when a coin is inserted in the correct coin slot.  Gauntlet is a popular game that worked this way - in order to play the warrior you have to press 5 in MAME, Valkyre is 6, Wizard is 7 and Elf is 8.

It may work to your advantage - the more planning you can do up front, the less frustration / disappointment you may have to deal with later    :lol

Edit - bah I'm answering 2 week old posts now.  Sorry, I didn't notice your first post was older...

I certainly appreciate the feedback, don't worry!  I'm here pretty much every day, soaking in as much as I can.

I actually might have talked my Wife into the game, a bit more than I had previously.  My three year old Son just went to visit the local Fire Department this week with his daycare class, and loved it.  Not to mention, my Dad was a Fire Fighter for nearly 30 years.  I had an idea to make a Fire Department themed cab - fire engine red, with some chromed diamond plate on the bottom fascia and chrome t-molding and such, possibly even some rotating lights on top - and my Wife actually liked the idea a bit.  I'm working on her.

;)

PsychoMikey

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 04, 2014, 04:21:35 am
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2010, 01:32:16 am »
Very cool theme. There are a lot of cool things you can do with that for sure.

I can almost see the finish line on my own ca building project :) so let me give you a bit of advise.

1. Know which games you are mostly focussing your cab on. 2p vs 4p, trackball, spinner's, analog joysticks, horizontal/vertical screen etc.   Instead of going for a 100% compatibility i would try to keep the CP as clean as possible. Are you really going to play mario64 on a cab when you already have 7000+ Mame games to choose from?

2. After you pick a initial cab design try to layout the steps and the order which they are needed to be completed. I was so excited in the beginning that i rushed some parts which cost me a lot of time and money later on to get it fixed. (glued everything together not realising i had to take it apart again to apply laminate).

3. A good router, flush trim bit, slot cutter (when using t-molding) and drill bit (for the pushbuttons) Will come in handy.
(I used a drill like this for the holes trough Plexiglas http://shop.conrad.nl/gereedschap/elektrisch-gereedschap/elektrisch-gereedschap-toebehoren/boren/boren/813292.html)

4. try to balance your focus during design between the actual cab and the artwork. Hardware/software can all be changed relatively easy afterwards, monitors, control panel and applied artwork can not.
(If your not a pro graphic app user, make sure you don't over use filters/effects. Don't use glow, bevel/emboss, blur, just because you can! Also realise that artwork looks different on screen with tool bars around it, then it does printed out)

5. ENJOY your new obsession for the coming months :)

Rick

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2010, 10:11:36 am »
Very cool theme. There are a lot of cool things you can do with that for sure.

Thanks!  I'm so torn with the ideas I have.  Some days, I want to build up just a 'classic' cab, with very few bells and whistles.  Other days, I want a full-on replica of a classic.  Other days still, I'm thinking of flashing lights, buzzers, alarms, strange videos, etc. etc.  It's all very surreal.  That being said, I *think* I might stick with a very basic configuration this time around.  If I go with the "Fire Cab", I'd like to focus on having the cab look 'normal', but still painted glossy red with the chrome t-moulding and *maybe* some chromed diamond plate - this is still iffy - but definitely not the top lights this time.  I think it would be a bit cheesy.  (Not that the red paint's gonna be any less!)

1. Know which games you are mostly focussing your cab on. 2p vs 4p, trackball, spinner's, analog joysticks, horizontal/vertical screen etc.   Instead of going for a 100% compatibility i would try to keep the CP as clean as possible. Are you really going to play mario64 on a cab when you already have 7000+ Mame games to choose from?

This is something I've been thinking about for a while.  I believe I want to go with the direction many here have already perfected: a 2P cab with 6 buttons each player, trackball, spinner and dedicated 4 way stick.  It can be done, I know, and look very, very slick when completed.  I won't be going with a Frankenpanel 4p configuration, because quite frankly, there usually won't be more than two players playing at any given time.  Those 'waiting' can do exactly that - wait.  Sure, I'm sure there will be some party nights, but that's half the fun in watching, right?

2. After you pick a initial cab design try to layout the steps and the order which they are needed to be completed. I was so excited in the beginning that i rushed some parts which cost me a lot of time and money later on to get it fixed. (glued everything together not realising i had to take it apart again to apply laminate).

I'm anal when it comes to that.  (Man, I hope they don't edit that word to say 'smurfette' or some silly stuff...)  I'm working on the plans as we speak, and even though it's going to KILL me, I figure I need to get everything 'done' before putting the panel together.  I just KNOW I'd be playing a partially assembled, unpainted cab for MONTHS before continuing on.  LOL.

4. try to balance your focus during design between the actual cab and the artwork. Hardware/software can all be changed relatively easy afterwards, monitors, control panel and applied artwork can not.  (If your not a pro graphic app user, make sure you don't over use filters/effects. Don't use glow, bevel/emboss, blur, just because you can! Also realise that artwork looks different on screen with tool bars around it, then it does printed out)

I like simple.  If it prints out nicely, it can get applied.  If not, it's not going anywhere near my cab!

5. ENJOY your new obsession for the coming months :)

I am. Oh, I AM!!!

>:D

(I'm here way too much.  Loving it, though!)

Rick

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2010, 03:05:01 pm »
Ok, I'm embroiled in the planning stages, and I'm leaning towards the CP configuration shared by many people here, and which actually got me so worked up about building my own cab.  Yes, I'm talking about Knievel's cabinet, and I absolutely love the layout.

As per his configuration (I believe, correct me if I'm wrong), Player 1 will have an 8 Way Joystick, 6 Buttons, a "P1" button and a "Coin" button.  Player 2 will have an 8 Way Joystick, 6 Buttons, a "P2" button and a "Coin" button.  In the top centre, I'm going to have a dedicated 4 Way Joystick, a Spinner and two buttons (the 4 Way being wired in parallel with the Player 1 joystick, and button 1 and button 2 being wired in parallel with Player 1's button 1 and button 2 - for "jump" and "fire" in classic games, I suspect), and finally, a trackball in the lower centre.

I also would like an Admin Panel, with the "Home" key mapped as button one, the "Esc" mapped as button two, "Enter" mapped as button three, and then a large blank space, and "Pause" mapped as button four and then five and six will be "Volume Up" and "Volume Down", respectively.

containing an "Exit" button (mapped to the "Escape" key),

My personal point of view (sorry for the threadjack, but maybe the OP will have more questions - or better still, answers - when I'm done) is that I'm going to have Maximus Arcade loaded, and for now, just the MAME emulator loaded up.  

Now, never having done this before, I know I need to order the hardware...  I understand that the joysticks and buttons are pretty much a preference item, and I'm likely ordering everything from GroovyGameGear.com (since I hear you can't go wrong there), but I'm stuck on the keyboard encoder I should be getting.  I note that there's a KeyWiz Max 2.0 for PS/2 connectivity and the KeyWiz 40-ST for USB connectivity.  Now, the motherboard I will be using has PS/2 ports for the keyboard and mouse available and at least 2 USB ports available.  If it has more, I'll have to check.  If I want everything as above (the spinner and trackball each use a dedicated USB port, right?) do I need to go with the KeyWiz Max 2.0 if I only have 2 USB ports?  Will it even have enough inputs to run everything (it claims 38 input lines) as I have it configured?

WAAAAAIIIITT A SECOND...  (Wiring stuff follows.  Noobishly noobish wiring stuff.  Bare with me.)  Let's do some math.

If I see what I think I see, even 8 Way joysticks have only 4 microswitches.  Thus, each microswitch will have a connection to the keyboard encoder for direction (running total: that's 4) and each microswitch will also have a single connection wired to the keyboard encoder's ground lead (that's 1), for each joystick.  The 'ground' will no longer continue to increase the number of connections to the keyboard encoder, as ground will always run to ground in all connections.  (Told you - nooby.)

So, my math being what it is (bad), I have three joysticks with 4 separate connections to the keyboard encoder each (running total: that's 12 + 1 ground), twenty-four buttons with a single connection to the keyboard encoder each (running total: that's 12 from the joysticks, plus 24 for the buttons, for a total of 36 + 1 ground)...  Is that correct?  (Those of you who have done this before, I rely on your expertise.)  Does my math add up, and do I have everything correctly configured?  If I do have everything theoretically correct, I would guesstimate that I could use either KeyWiz device, but of course, that would also be totally dependent upon my motherboard and the available USB ports.

I'm really sorry for all of the confusion and the monster thread, but I really, really appreciate the assistance!

Rick

EDIT: D'OH!  My math is bad already - I forgot to count that a lot of the stuff will be wired in parallel...  So we can subtract 4 inputs from the dedicated joystick, and 2 inputs from the centre button 1 and button 2 near the spinner.  Sooooo - I think that makes it 30 inputs total?  Bah.  I suck.  I'm going to wait for someone to come in and help me.

;D
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 03:07:17 pm by Rick Elphinstone »

darcyp

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 19, 2012, 12:22:17 pm
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2010, 02:08:42 pm »

EDIT: D'OH!  My math is bad already - I forgot to count that a lot of the stuff will be wired in parallel...  So we can subtract 4 inputs from the dedicated joystick, and 2 inputs from the centre button 1 and button 2 near the spinner.  Sooooo - I think that makes it 30 inputs total?  Bah.  I suck.  I'm going to wait for someone to come in and help me.

;D

no, now you have got it right. i do have a question however. any reason you are going with the 2 dedicated spinner buttons, as compared to just using player 1 or 2 buttons?
also, i found that a really nice option for controlling volume on my cab is a program called cabvol. (you would need to search for it, sorry) with cabvol you just need 1 volume button, and while that is being held down your spinner/trackball can adjust the volume. just another option to think about, good luck!

Rick

• Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2010, 02:19:15 pm »
no, now you have got it right. i do have a question however. any reason you are going with the 2 dedicated spinner buttons, as compared to just using player 1 or 2 buttons?

Awesome.  I'm happy to hear that I can still read and somewhat comprehend what I'm reading.  (Seriously - I see the underside of some panels and am just amazed at the amount of detail in the chaos.)  I think it's just for the aesthetics of the location of the buttons that I'd go with dedicated buttons beside the spinner...  They'd still be wired in parallel with the P1 button 1 and 2, but because of their general location (right beside both the spinner and the dedicated 4 way) I think it would be easier to use for games like Donkey Kong or even Space Invaders, whereby you're not reaching all over the playfield to find the buttons you should be using.  Of course, since they're wired in parallel, you would always have the choice of using the P1 button 1 and 2, but I digress.

also, i found that a really nice option for controlling volume on my cab is a program called cabvol. (you would need to search for it, sorry) with cabvol you just need 1 volume button, and while that is being held down your spinner/trackball can adjust the volume. just another option to think about, good luck!

I like that idea, but I'm leaning towards the dual buttons.  That way, I don't have to inform anyone of how they work (if you can't read "Volume Up" and "Volume Down" in the graphics, step AWAY from the machine!) or otherwise have an instruction card on the machine.

Thanks a bunch!

Rick

• Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2010, 08:55:42 am »
Damn.

So many thoughts, so many ideas.  What to do.  What to do.  I think I may just have to modify my ideas slightly...  I was originally going to go with a standard cabinet, and then I really, really liked the Viewlix styled cab...  Now, thanks to the Mass Effect MAME Cabinet being constructed by ainGide, I feel I need to be even MORE original...  So many ideas.  So many ideas.

I think I'm going to strike out on my own, and go the route some of us have chosen (i.e. Ord) and do a custom cab...  ...yet, one that doesn't take itself too seriously, and that many of us might actually recognize...

Yes, I believe I have decided to build myself Super Turbo Turkey Puncher 3, from Doom 3!  Comments?  Ideas?  (Have you stopped laughing yet?)

I can see that there will already be a few modifications to the 'original' construction - a 'version 2', if you will - as I will want multiple players, and won't also have such a large size monitor available...  ...but I'm sure this is going to be AWESOME.

Rick

• Offline Offline
Re: The "Elphinstone Arcade" Project - Now, with a NEW NAME!
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2010, 10:29:13 am »
Ok, so I'm no artist, but I know what I like.  And what I like, is to (gently) emulate-(ha!)-slash-copy things I see that I like.  So, in honor of the new Super Turbo Turkey Puncher 3 (rev. 2.0) arcade, I give you, the first draft of my marquee:

It's pretty close to the original screenshot I have, but of course, I should load up Doom 3 and get a few close-ups myself, just to be sure.  I used the eyedropper tool (in PhotoImpact) to nick the colours from the fonts, and yes, I could NOT for the life of me find an exact correct model for the font on the number "3", but the donor font there is pretty close.  (And, boo PhotoImpact, it allows you to use a gradient fill 45 degrees from the top left to bottom right, but NOT from the top right to bottom left - FAIL!)

So, here is 'step one', well on its way.  The 'good news' is that I've already ordered some of my parts, but now, since I'm designing something 'close' to the UAC game, I think I'm going to want (at least) some multi-colored buttons for the CP...  ...maybe.  It depends on how close the 'Rev. 2.0' comes out.  I'm already onto designing some other elements - stay tuned!

Nicodumas

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 28, 2014, 09:51:06 am
Re: The "Elphinstone Arcade" Project - UPDATED 2010.09.08 - Now, with a NEW NAME!
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2010, 10:35:26 am »
OMG, I will be watching this like a hawk! Love the idea (and Doom). I do think you should do the multicolor button idea.

Rick

• Offline Offline
Re: The "Elphinstone Arcade" Project - UPDATED 2010.09.08 - Now, with a NEW NAME!
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2010, 09:06:07 pm »
Hmm...  INTERESTING!

I took a buttload of screenshots in-game, and found pretty much what everybody sees in-game: dark.  Then, I spawned a flashlight ('cause I wasn't going back when I had to kill stuff) and look what I found!

So, it looks like quite an endeavour.  I can't wait to start!  Looks like one 'interesting' looking cab!  (I had no idea there was this much color.  Awesome.)

severdhed

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 07, 2022, 04:45:32 pm
  • RIP Dinosaur Hippo
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2010, 10:17:09 pm »
awesome idea...i love it.

also, i don't know if you looked into it , but I did some googling and  here is a stand alone version of super turbo turkey puncher 3.  it doesn't seem to allow for customized controls, but it is a start...

http://www.filefront.com/3623885/Super-Turbo-Turkey-Puncher-3-Standalone-1.0/
Current Projects:      Zak-Man | TMNT Pedestal | SNES Pi | N64 Odroid
Former Projects:     4 Player Showcase | Donkey Kong | iCade

wp34

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2022, 09:48:19 pm
« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2010, 10:39:29 pm »
Very clever.  I'm looking forward to seeing your progress.

Rick

• Offline Offline
« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2010, 07:29:40 am »
also, i don't know if you looked into it , but I did some googling and  here is a stand alone version of super turbo turkey puncher 3.  it doesn't seem to allow for customized controls, but it is a start...

I did find that, and used Audacity to rip out all of the sounds from it...  It actually had really high quality sound, and I plan on using parts of it for some startup vid for the cab.  I've also put together some pretty smart looking splash screens, just in planning stages now, though.  It's tough trying to sketch out the lines on this custom cab.

Rick

• Offline Offline
Re: The "Elphinstone Arcade" Project - UPDATED 2010.09.10 - Design Pics Updated
« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2010, 11:35:09 am »
After spending some time in PhotoImpact, I figure that I'm really no designer.  (I'm certainly no Ond, but hey, who is?  Heh.)  So, anyway, I took a buttload of screenies from inside Doom 3, and have scoured everything to determine that this is, in fact, a pretty good representation of the cab design.

I figure that I'll need to build the sides up in multiple layers (sort of like the top of the 'Viewlix' style cabs, if you know what I mean) so that I can get all of these strange semi-rounded corners to look authentic.  I never actually realized how ugly this cab is.  (I actually laughed to myself and said, "dude, you're building THAT?")  Yeah.  It's realll ugly.  But hey, all for the art, right?  I mean, who else is going to be able to say, "I have an AUTHENTIC (sort of) Doom 3 arcade game from Mars."?

Heh.  More to come!

;D

Edit: Oops.  Forgot to add the support under the CP.  Fix'd.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2010, 02:28:50 pm by Rick Elphinstone »

MikeyMerse

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 30, 2011, 03:39:52 pm
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2010, 11:59:27 am »
Wow, that is definitely a feat right there. I'll be all over this project like a fist on a turkey. :afro:

Hurry up on your remodeling so you can start working on this, ASAP!

Rick

• Offline Offline
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2010, 12:59:25 pm »
Hurry up on your remodeling so you can start working on this, ASAP!

OMG, I know!  I am so ready to just jump right in with both feet!!!

I do have plans to finish up some of my trim work in the dining room and kitchen this weekend, and my Wife and I just got back from Home Depot with some underlay for our back hall, which means she'll want me to focus on laying another new floor.  (Don't worry, it's a small space.)  So, if I'm able to focus, it looks like I should be able to complete both the floor and the trim work, which means that the only remaining jobs (as I see it - no idea of how she sees it) will be to prime and paint the dining room trim work, paint the living room trim work, and then get onto the bathroom reno.  If I'm very lucky, I'll have her do the painting while I move on to the bathroom work.

That's a pain too.  Since my Wife had her spill in the shower (ripping off the taps on her way down, tearing them right out of the wall) I'll need to demo the walls, repair the plumbing, refit new drywall and waterproof layer, and then install the new shower surround, taps and knobs.

Maybe I'll get started on this by Christmas.  LOL.  Fingers crossed.

Hold on a tic - I DO have something I can do.  I should receive my order from GGG next week (fingers crossed, again!) and I know I'll be able to do a bit of fabrication on the CP... ...sooooooo, maybe I should concentrate on a good design for it.  I can't see this taking too long, and if I'm able to piece it together separately, then I should be good to have one part of it done.  (Prior to the bathroom reno, of course.)

Wish me luck!

MikeyMerse

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 30, 2011, 03:39:52 pm
Re: "DOOMED!" - Super Turbo Turkey Puncher 3 - UPDATED 2010.09.10
« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2010, 01:57:41 pm »
Yikes! Was your wife OK? That doesn't sound like it was a pleasant fall...

Sounds like a lot of work, but atleast you will have solid plans before you begin.

HaRuMaN

• Supreme Solder King
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+45)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 27, 2024, 07:37:53 pm
  • boom
    • Arcade Madness
« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2010, 02:01:39 pm »
refit new drywall

Ehh, don't use drywall, use cement board.

Rick

• Offline Offline
« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2010, 02:17:22 pm »
Yikes! Was your wife OK? That doesn't sound like it was a pleasant fall...

Miraculously, yes.  She was very sore for a couple of weeks, but she was very lucky - she had actually had spinal surgery just over five years ago to remove part of a ruptured disk.

:o

Funny story on that - it was during the SARS epidemic, when they weren't even letting Family Members into the Hospitals for visitation, and my (now) Wife and I were *just* starting to date.  Well, she was in the Hospital for the surgery, and I wanted to visit.  She had just been given a very strong sedative before I had arrived, and it was starting to work.  I walked into the (very well secured) hospital, and was greeted by nurses with all sorts of masks and such and said, "I'm here to see Michele Parker.  She's in for surgery now, and I'm her Husband!"

The nurse looked me over, DIDN'T check my ID (which was under "Elphinstone", of course), gave me a mask and told me where to go.  When I got up to the room, my (now) Wife was almost totally asleep, and I told her what I did.  She told me that her Doctor had told her "her Husband" was here, and she told him, "I'm not MARRIED!  You mean my DAD is here!"  LOL.  About fifteen minutes later, her Best Friend (who she had known all her life) called up to talk to her and she was so angry - turns out she was denied access, and was EXTREMELY angry with me that I lied to get in.  (Thankfully, she's since gotten over her anger, and we all laugh about it now.)

Funny how things turn out.

Sounds like a lot of work, but at least you will have solid plans before you begin.

I certainly will.  I can *see* it all in my head right now.  (As I mentioned above, if I can sneak the building of the CP past my Wife, I will!)

Ehh, don't use drywall, use cement board.

You're right.  That's what I meant, but I typed the wrong thing.

Ond

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 18, 2024, 11:41:19 pm
« Reply #35 on: September 11, 2010, 02:29:14 am »
Well Rick no one could accuse you of not being enthusiastic so.........

here are some renders I drew up for you,  you do realise this means you're going to have to actually really build this now don't you?  ;)

Tell your wife OND says you've got to build it.  Now I gotta go...before MY wife slaps me around for spending too much time on your cab.

:laugh2:
« Last Edit: September 11, 2010, 05:28:24 am by Ond »

amendonz

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 02, 2017, 04:33:57 pm
« Reply #36 on: September 11, 2010, 02:59:13 am »
I don't think it's ugly at all. Cool cabinet.

TOK

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 24, 2024, 05:14:24 pm
  • The Game Always Wins
« Reply #37 on: September 11, 2010, 05:55:04 am »
Those front control panel corners look like potential pecker wreckers.  :scared

severdhed

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 07, 2022, 04:45:32 pm
  • RIP Dinosaur Hippo
« Reply #38 on: September 11, 2010, 09:05:22 am »
nice render, that is awesome...i cant wait to see this cabinet
Current Projects:      Zak-Man | TMNT Pedestal | SNES Pi | N64 Odroid
Former Projects:     4 Player Showcase | Donkey Kong | iCade

drventure

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 25, 2023, 02:23:57 pm
  • Laser Death Ray Bargain Bin! Make me an offer!
« Reply #39 on: September 11, 2010, 09:51:45 am »
Fantastic Idea!

Gotta put one of these on a gun rack on the wall next to it