Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: MKX Kustom Kabinet #3 by Drake Dragoon  (Read 11342 times)

rablack97

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 11, 2022, 06:50:10 pm
  • If you don't try, you have no chance at innovation
Re: MKX Kustom Kabinet #3 by Drake Dragoon
« Reply #40 on: November 05, 2015, 08:00:24 am »

uh oh came across this today

This is the best of both worlds....Im going with this most likely

That looks like an amazing solution because you can change the color when you get bored of it.

I'll try not to steal that idea (LED T-Molding), and I will search for an alternative to white t-molding as well, so that I can attempt to be original with my design.
However, the only reason I think white is going to be o.k. to use in the end (and still have a somewhat original look) is because it matches the official logo colors for MKX and seems like the natural and obvious choice. If I use any other color, it might feel unnatural - or clash with the white logo's.

A different approach would be for me to eliminate everything that is white and make it in chrome instead (like the chrome logo in the center of the graphic for the side-art on my 'koncept kabinet').
I'm still bouncing ideas around, but I'm going to start working on variations of my design soon and I will post them here.

On another note: I plan to release all of my Maya files so that people can use the 3d model to test out designs for their own custom cabinet builds. I plan to also release all full size image files when the project is complete so that anyone can use them to make their own MKX cabinet. Free of course.

Thanks again for your comments and help everyone!

LOL, its not stealing man if i told you about it.  It's called options......

I'm seriously considering the White EL tape when it comes out, the led concept seems kinda bogus.  Me and some of the regulars has a discussion and some good points were made on it.

Like how do you hammer in that t-molding with the leds in it, or how hard would it be to feed it through after installation and the possibility of it looking like an xmas tree.

Looking forward to seeing your updated art.  I'm going for a more theatrical dave and busters look as my homeboy called it.

I mean we are building these big ass cabs for a 49.00 game, might as well do it big... :cheers:

drakedragoon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 09, 2015, 05:34:26 am
  • MKI MKII UMKIII MKIV SF2 KI2
« Reply #41 on: November 06, 2015, 06:54:04 am »
Based on suggestions, I have updated the concept model of the MKX arcade cabinet:

I changed the button layout, removed the white text and logo from the side art, and added white trim to the top and bottom of the marquee.
Of these changes, I think I might revert the white trim on top and bottom of the marquee back to black - but I do like the other changes.

I still plan to side-step the front of the cabinet so that it matches the real one I have in my garage, and I want to improve the control panel overlay graphic and marquee... plus I might raise Sub-Zero up a bit now that the white text is deleted.

What do you guys think of these changes so far? And what do you think I should I do to improve the control panel overlay graphic (it looks too plain)?
Looking for NBA Jam TE Side Art (wooden court)
Looking for Battletoads PCB
Looking for Neo Geo 6-slot Marquee and CPO
Building MKX Arcade (PS4, custom graphics, style #3 worldwide)

BGoulette

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 23, 2024, 09:41:55 am
    • lazerjoose.com
« Reply #42 on: November 06, 2015, 10:13:23 am »
I think you'd be wise to stick with black along the horizontals of the marquee, imho. Otherwise, the cleanup looks nice!

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #43 on: November 06, 2015, 10:39:35 am »
I think you'd be wise to stick with black along the horizontals of the marquee, imho. Otherwise, the cleanup looks nice!

That was a PBJ request on MK3FANs build, now that i look at it.  Go back to black.

CP looks good, but i would reverse the colors of the buttons, your outlining the cab in white so highlight the buttons with white outer, black plunger.

Put the chrome dragon up top, looks weird splitting the characters, if your not gonna have the verbiage.   I thought this looked good though, just remove the white dragon and maybe put the Mortal X Kombat title there.

Remove the chrome dragon from the marquee, it doesn't blend well.

Replace the 2 white dragons with chrome, leave the 2 white on top of the CP....  The chrome dragons are a little more subtle since you going with a dark theme.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2015, 10:49:10 am by rablack97 »

drakedragoon

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 09, 2015, 05:34:26 am
  • MKI MKII UMKIII MKIV SF2 KI2
« Reply #44 on: November 09, 2015, 05:31:32 am »
Based on you guys suggestions, I have updated the concept cabinet model with the new graphic changes:

I removed the white trim above/below the marquee.
I removed the chrome exploding "X" from behind the white "X" on the marquee.
I moved the side-art graphic up a little - now that the white text has been removed from the top.
I inverted the button colors so that the trim is white and the button center is black.
I changed the white dragon logos to chrome on the front of the control panel, however, I don't like the chrome and white mix, so I may change it to white text that say's "Who's Next" as suggested by another member...

Any other suggestions to make this look komplete? Thanks!
Looking for NBA Jam TE Side Art (wooden court)
Looking for Battletoads PCB
Looking for Neo Geo 6-slot Marquee and CPO
Building MKX Arcade (PS4, custom graphics, style #3 worldwide)

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #45 on: November 09, 2015, 08:37:28 am »
I think it looks pretty good now man.........

Now that you cleaned up all the other white.......the white marquee might not be a bad idea.  Post this and one with the white side by side, if you can.