Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Playstation control hacking...  (Read 7317 times)

tmasman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 04, 2024, 03:50:44 pm
  • Hello...
    • My (no so up to date) Home
Playstation control hacking...
« on: August 05, 2003, 01:12:25 pm »
I've been thinking about how I want to interface all of my controls to the PC in the project I'm planning...
I know all about the encoder options, but it's much easier for my to go the whole hacking route.

I've already hacked a keyboard and built a prototype control box (BIG mistake!!! I've been playing more than building ever since then)

I've got a few questions about hacking & interfacing PS/PSX/PS2 controlls.

- Has anyone used this PC interface and is $14.95 (+ $4.95 shipping) a good price to interface 2 PS controls?

- Has anyone taken advantage of the analog controls from a PS2 controller on a cabinet??? I'm not quite sure how one would do this, but I just started pondering the possibilities... (mini analog stick on the CP or something like that...)

I also plan on trying to include my Dreamcast into the cabinet (using the same controls).  I know there are PS->DC converters Like this one... Is there an easy way to split, the controls -> system cables? I'm hoping there will be an easy  way to get the PC & DC to play nice with this... But how do I interface the 1 controller to 2 systems???

I know a few of the obvious solutions...
- Open the coin door & switch the cables...
- hack the wires to a switch box (2 inputs, 1 output [or vice versa] and a switch to select)

I guess I'm just hoping for an easy solution. Anybody got one???

TIA
tmasman
I'm not a freak!...
Oh wait...
Yes I am...

Lilwolf

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 31, 2022, 10:26:34 pm
Re:Playstation control hacking...
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2003, 03:27:14 pm »
NOTE:  Not a real answer.... but more questions really.

Watch out for some ps->usb connectors.  One didn't allow for fast button presses (so you couldn't get chun le's tornado kick going in SF games).  Some don't allow up and down to be pressed at onces (not a big deal for some... but that assumes you are plugging them into a joystick and not buttons... or a DanceDanceRevolution pad).

But as hacks go.

Keyboards are the suckiest

Joystick hacks are button (less inputs, but the inputs don't have ghosting issues)... Usually off brands are easiest to solder to.

Keyboard encoders are best.  I've hacked keyboards, joysticks and others.  And I wsn't happy until I had a keyboard encoder...

I've NEVER EVER heard one person say they wish they saved the money and just hacked something instead of buying their keyboard encoder!  Really!  NOT ONE COMPLAINT!

I've heard bitching about all the others... on a regular basis.

So hack something if you have to... But its probably better saving money in other locations on an arcade cabinet and get a good encoder.

Hoagie_one

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 04, 2020, 12:36:28 pm
  • Um....whats a cabinet
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2003, 03:54:10 pm »
I wish I would of just saved the money and just hacked something instead of buying my keyboard encoder!  

J\K

tmasman

• Offline Offline
  • Hello...
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2003, 04:28:26 pm »
Lilwolf,

I appreciate the comments, but at this time I'm happy with using my hacked keyboard. I mapped it out so that I've got 20 unghostable inputs. And I have as many other admin type functions as I could want. (I wouldn't use the shift functions on this machine either... I want it to be a little more idiot proof for when my friends play... they get Select, Start, Quit, but P1+P2, or P1+P1B1 would confuse the hella outta them)

Anyhow, I also am trying to attach a DC & computer to the same controls. an encoder does nothing for me in this respect, and so far I have no issues with the KB hack. I'm just looking at the available options out there.  And the PS controller hack looked promising. That is if I can find an easy way to attach it to the DC (converter) AND the PC (converter) at the same time.

Anyone know??? Can I just splice the PS controller cable to 2 systems?
Hey SNAAAKE! Ever mess with this stuff? ? ?
(I know you hack PS controllers all the time... Just wondering if you ever attach to a PC...)

Thanks!
I'm not a freak!...
Oh wait...
Yes I am...

tmasman

• Offline Offline
  • Hello...
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2003, 11:19:52 am »
...bump...

:P

any help  ???

please  :'(
I'm not a freak!...
Oh wait...
Yes I am...

jakejake28

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 02, 2005, 07:23:54 pm
  • Thank you sir, may I have another?
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2003, 11:27:24 am »
have you thought about not hacking the cables and just changing the adaptors when you need to? thats waht i did
It's all about the Pentiums

tmasman

• Offline Offline
  • Hello...
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2003, 11:54:33 am »
yeah... I'm thinking that's what I'll end up doing if I can't find another workable solution... (maybe a switch or something...)

Eh... I'll pull out my multimeter when my DC gets here & start playing around with what my options might be...
I'm not a freak!...
Oh wait...
Yes I am...

hooded_paladin

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 06, 2013, 08:59:01 pm
  • Finch! hahaha
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2003, 02:57:47 pm »
That psx->pc converter that you show, that is the first one I got.  The second one I got was the EMS USB 2 (http://www.levelsix.com/products/pc/EMSUSB2.shtml)  I think they're about the same, but the EMS USB 2 emulates the d-pad as both joystick axes and buttons, necessary for DDR [as you have to press up + down or left + right at the same time sometimes, and that's impossible with just a joystick axis])  Same price, might be better shipping fee, check it out.

Actually, at http://www.levelsix.com/L6news.shtml it announces a problem with their latest shipment.  They say the problem is mostly just with dance mats and fishing controllers (none of the normal controllers, cept for one third party dualshock). That's another factor to consider, or maybe, if you don't order it soon, they'll get another fixed shipment.
If DDR means nothing to you, (break my heart man *sniff*) order either, but I'm very sure the EMS USB 2 doesn't have lag problems, and I'm PRETTY sure that blue one doesn't either (I didn't use it for very long)

Furthermore, I'm VERY much for psx hacking.  You get a joystick and 10 inputs for very cheap.  Adapters are another thing, but I've got two dual-adapters suitable for arcade controls (only one is suitable for DDR)  and I plan to make a 4-player standalone CP with 4 psx controllers.  Being able to play on a playstation, rather than just a computer, is a big plus for standalone CP's.
There is SO a spoon.

KeithD

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2008, 07:57:26 am
  • I HAVE built my own arcade controls!
    • Nameless Cab
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2003, 06:22:48 pm »
I am completely happy with my PSX hacks, and wouldn't even consider buying a keyboard encoder. (Just so that is on the record :))

I used the MegaTap adapter through the parallel port (DPad Pro driver), and use 2 digital PSX controllers which gives me 2 sticks and 10 buttons. 6 buttons are for play, 2 are for coin and 2 are for 1/2P start.

I have several open buttons as well, so a pair of Digital controllers can give you up to 10 buttons and a stick per controller. I just didn't need them for the games I am interested in. Junior gets a little upset sometimes when he tries to go for a combo on SF or whatever, but too bad. It's Dad's game, and if he wants to make a better one, I'll give him a hand with the saw :)

Anyways, all THAT said, the Megatap will let you use 4 controllers, and I have used 2 analog controlers on it successfully many times when I just wanted a pad for a PC game.

Currently, I am laying out flight controls for myself and will use PS analog controllers for stick, dual throttle and rudder pedals. It will all run through the Megatap adapter.

BTW, total cost for the pair of digital controllers and the 4-way adapter to cannibalize was less than 30 bucks. Total for the whole thing, wire, connectors, box for the board, etc, was probably less than 40. Timewise, it probably takes longer than an encoder, but I have more time than money, and have no need for that many controls.

This, of course, is only my opnion, I am certain that there are others available :D

Feel free to email if you have any questions, or want to see pics of my crappy soldering job.

K
You laugh because I am different;
I laugh because you are all the same.

BombProofPlane

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 11, 2009, 04:14:14 pm
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2003, 01:10:32 am »
To get multiple types of controlers on your cab you need diodes

lots of them

on every conection from the circuit board (excluding ground)you need a diode with the black end on the control panel
so lets try an example

[Psx pad}-button--------=diode black end>= |
                                                                      |    Arcade
[DC Pad}-button--------=diode black end>= |

this way the signals dont flow backwards from one pad into another pad this makes it like a one way valve

DAmnb

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 28, 2011, 03:35:40 pm
  • R-Type for president!
    • TheGameCollector
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2003, 05:10:22 am »
Well correct me if im wrong but aslong as you only have one system going at the time it shouldnt be an issue, right?
Well the diode way works great, takes abit of time settingup for multiple consoles but its probably worth it if you for some reason absolutely dont want to turn of the comp while using the DC/PSX/PS2/Whatnot  ;D

eightbit

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 07, 2019, 07:38:11 pm
  • My cab is never done...
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2003, 10:06:15 am »
This issue has been discussed many times in other forums here and I don't think anyone ever posted a successfull implementation. In theory their are a lot of things that should work but I think the usual consensus is that its just not worth it.
My statements are my own opinions. They have the value that the reader gives them. My opinion of my opinion varies between foolish and brilliant and these opinions often change with new information.