Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: 2 Player folding bartop, near completion!  (Read 3227 times)

frankba771

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 23, 2011, 10:08:57 am
2 Player folding bartop, near completion!
« on: August 25, 2011, 07:45:44 am »
Well I started this project a few weekends ago after I realized I had too many credit card points lol.  I was actually browsing through the forum when I saw syph007's mockup for his project (which was inspired by benderama).  I really like the design he had so I went to the drawing board and started my own.  I didn't take a lot of pictures during the build, but I did take a few so enjoy. =D

syph007

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 24, 2014, 04:30:03 pm
  • With a router big enough, we can shape the world!
Re: 2 Player folding bartop, near completion!
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2011, 12:16:07 pm »
Ha, I did a double take at first when I thought this was my thread. LOL.  Nice job. I wish I had the time to get mine done faster, but kids are making it a slow march.

Did you make the underside removable to access the controls?  I'd love to see any more pix if you have them!

frankba771

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2011, 06:15:42 pm »
Wow gay I just typed like 12 paragraphs and the website gave me an error and I lost it all >=(

Anyway, it is really similar to yours, I actually started building right around when you posted your cardboard mockup.  I made a few improvements (I think).

The entire machine is built around a 20"  LCD monitor.  I hacked the board for the power button out of the monitor and and ported it through the plexiglass on the front

The speakers were originally some extra computer speakers I had laying around.  The actual speakers and the board are mounted in the top near the marquee.  The volume knobs were also ported through the plexiglass.

The player controls are mounted at a slight offset angle to give both players a little more elbow room.  The controls are wired to the MAME Arcade Controls to USB Adapter from Paradise Arcade Shop on eBay (Mahalo Bryan!)

The Marquee is a translucent vinyl sticker mounted to plexiglass with an 18" fluorescent  bulb. Switch is mounted through the plexiglass as well.

It has latches for when it opens and closes (opening latches are automatic, closing are manual).

Finally the opening on the back when it is closed will eventually have a hinged cover and a latch to keep it closed.  That small triangular space will house the keyboard, mouse, power, and HDMI out cable.

frankba771

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2011, 06:18:06 pm »
more pictures:

(1) Back panel opened
(2) Power and Marquee wiring

syph007

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 24, 2014, 04:30:03 pm
  • With a router big enough, we can shape the world!
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2011, 03:06:46 pm »
Cool.  You're faster than me.  I spent forever getting the controls just where I liked them though.  And I did need to make my CP wider than I first wanted to make it comfy for 2players.  Player 2 though will be my wife or son, so bumping elbows isnt the end of the world.   My CP is 24 inches wide.  Makes cutting parts easy since ive been buying my MDF in 24 x 28 inch pieces, so one length is always perfect! :D  

Im working on how to hide the piano hinge now, toying with eithe painting it, or covering in something flexible.

Have you got any pix of the side profile, in open and closed mode?  Just curious to see how it looks.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2011, 03:20:13 pm by syph007 »

frankba771

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2011, 09:17:12 pm »
yeah my CP board is only 20".  I found I was able to make it comfortable by putting both controls at a slightly offset angle.  I thought about hiding the hinge, but I decided against it in case it ever needed to be adjusted (Which is convenient because I need to reset the hinge, it's off by 1/16", making it slightly off when its closed grr....everything else in the build went smoothly).  The real trick was the whole order of operations for the build.  The trick is to cut all slots first, then Formica visible inside edges, then assemble, then outside Formica.  The brain of the beast is an ASRock ION 330 (Makes it a pretty bad-ass beast, I've been playing Mario Kart 64 on it all day).  I'll take pics of it opened and closed once I fix the hing and make the back cover hinge piece. 

*Side note: wireless keyboard and mouse are a must

Bender

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 28, 2016, 08:12:21 pm
    • Happ to Tron Conversion tutorial
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2011, 03:50:40 pm »
Lookin' good!!!! :cheers: :cheers:

menace

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 18, 2023, 10:57:06 am
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2011, 07:42:57 am »
I tried holding my joysticks in like you did on one of my machines and after one party they were both broken.  So just a heads up that it may feel solid right now but if any of your buddies played in the arcades they are going to beat on it the same as they did on the original machines--unless you tell them not to I suppose..  More pics! :cheers:
its better to not post and be thought a fool, then to whip out your keyboard and remove all doubt...

frankba771

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2011, 08:25:16 am »
How exactly did they break menace? Because I helped my buddy build one like 3 years back and we mounted the joysticks in the same way, and that hasn't shown any signs of wear yet.

Those joysticks are recessed to be flush and fit tight, and those big fender washers seem to be securing it really well.

menace

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 18, 2023, 10:57:06 am
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2011, 06:38:24 pm »
They torqued the joystocks so much that they popped the fender washer and screw out of the panel.  Maybe your friends will be more respectable (or less intoxicated) :cheers:
its better to not post and be thought a fool, then to whip out your keyboard and remove all doubt...