Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Arcade Stylee - First MAME Cab - 99% Complete  (Read 14657 times)

MikeyMerse

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 30, 2011, 03:39:52 pm
Arcade Stylee - First MAME Cab - 99% Complete
« on: July 29, 2010, 12:02:56 am »
Firstly, hello to all you BYOACers. This is my first post and I want to let you all know what I have started

I've been coasting these forums for the past few weeks to learn common practices on building a MAME cabinet.  I had no idea this hobby had such a dedicated forum and I am glad because there are so many bright minds here who have built AMAZING cabinets.

For my first attempt a cab build, I wanted to start with an existing empty cabinet but customize it to my terms.  I got a deal from a guy who was selling these on Craigslist.  It was originally wired for Jamma so I gutted it and put all that aside.  Since gutting it I have picked up some parts:

• 24" Flatscreen TV w/ S-Video
  • 2 Sanwa JLW-UM-8 Joysticks (Picked these because I heard good things and they are easy to switch to 4-way)
  • Happ Buttons
  • 1/2" 4x8 sheet MDF to replace a few parts
  • Casters

I have mounted the casters and have replaced/hinged the back door (rather than having it just come off).  My next step is to piece together the marquee and lower the monitor platform (to make room for the larger 24" TV).  Also I want to replace the front of the cabinet and lower the coin door hole.  One thing that I realized is that I won't have any room for a keyboard tray, which is quite common here.  Instead, once I create the control panel and have it hinged on the front, I will mount a keyboard on top of plexi-glass on the reverse side of the control panel above the guts of the controls.  This way I will be able to use the cabinet as a computer comfortably and easily (there will be a mouse too).

I picked this specific cabinet because it was smaller than the usual cab (and also smaller than LuSiD's plans).  I wanted a cabinet that wasn't too large but still had that nostalgic feel to it.

I am going with a black & white theme.  Black cabinet with white t-molding and also white designs on the side and on the control panel.  Right now I am going with space invaders on the right and asteroids on the left.  I haven't quite figured out what to do with the control panel, suggestions are very welcomed!

One thing I may do is leave a space for a trackball to be installed at a later time, but I am still on the fence about this because I never played too many trackball games.

This is just another "plain jane" cabinet, no steampunk style here, but I am just going for something that will be fun to make and fun to play.

« Last Edit: March 25, 2011, 12:25:43 pm by MikeyMerse »

NeoFlynn

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 17, 2011, 02:03:31 am
  • New Vegas Here I Come...
    • Neoflynn's Randomness, Rants and Reviews
Re: First MAME Cab - To be named
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2010, 12:11:34 am »
seems like you have a nice start going, good luck and keep posting with the progress

Ond

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 18, 2024, 11:41:19 pm
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2010, 12:51:47 am »
Why no steampunk? Steampunk iss de ultimate!....  Just kidding, welcome to the forum and the madness MikeyMerse.  You can check out any time you like but you c....Oh wait somebody else already said that.  My advice to you is (if you havent already) read the FAQ and use the search features to get the info you need.  Asking for help is good too, but there's so much great info available so keep 'coasting' as well.

cheers

Ond

MikeyMerse

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2010, 04:14:34 pm »
Thanks guys.

I've definitely been reading up a lot on these projects. I made it to page 12 or 13, and learning methods on the way.

I worked on it this morning and got some battens in place and cut the TV casing to fit inside.

More pics will be on the way!

EDIT: Added a picture of what my intentions are for the keyboard and mouse on the underside of the control panel.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2010, 07:45:39 pm by MikeyMerse »

MikeyMerse

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2010, 06:25:24 pm »
*UPDATE*

I would have pics here, but they would have the same quality above, I will get a better camera soon to show you all.

I have replaced the front and lowered where the coin door will go; replaced the TV stand to compensate for the larger TV (24"); Removed various old battens that wouldn't work for my design.

Also, I got my sticks, buttons and IPAC in! Also got wire, quick connects and an additional button to mount underneath the lip below the coin door to turn the TV on and off.

Also, looking for help with hinges:
I still want to get the CP to fold back 180º to act as a desktop for the mouse and keyboard... The issue is I can't find the right kind of hinge. I could easily get a piano hinge, but then the butt of the hinge will be sticking out and I think it would be an eyesore. Any solutions?

MikeyMerse

• Offline Offline
Re: Arcade Stylee - First MAME Cab
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2010, 11:53:06 am »
*UPDATE* w/Pics

My work on this cabinet has been in spurts it seems. I'll find a few hours to work on it here and there, but I guess it is prolonging the experience of building this thing.

I got my equipment in:
2 Sanwa 4/8 way ULW's w/ rotating restrictor plate
A bunch of Happ buttons (white and black)
IPAC encoder w/ USB input
22 AWG wire (40 ft total) w/ quick disconnects

The below pictures show my progress.

I've replaced the back door with 1/2" MDF and hinged it from the outside. I've since bought a piano hinge and will be mounting it with that after the cab has been painted.

The TV is decased due to the extra room it gives me to work with.

I still need to buy a flourescent cabinet light for the marquee and mount the speakers on the bottom marquee panel.

Control Panel will be coming soon!

After all that is said and done, plexiglass will be the final step, and then painting and artwork will be the next step.

Updates coming soon..

MikeyMerse

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2010, 07:38:30 pm »
CONTROL PANEL IS DONE!

I have the artwork line up, and I'm going to get it printed at Staples on vinyl, might go with the tough nylon reinforced vinyl they offer which is scratch/UV/water resistant. This would then eliminate the need for any plexiglass. Any suggestions on how to glue the vinyl on the CP?  I'm thinking some sort of contact cement. SUGGESTIONS PLEASE

More pics will come soon.

Here is the design of the cp, since Im going with a space theme (Space Invaders/Asteroids). I'll be messing with it a little more to get some graphics on for the buttons and joysticks.  I'll keep you updated.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 07:40:46 pm by MikeyMerse »

NeoFlynn

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 17, 2011, 02:03:31 am
  • New Vegas Here I Come...
    • Neoflynn's Randomness, Rants and Reviews
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2010, 08:59:52 pm »
 :cheers:lookin good mate :cheers:

drventure

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 25, 2023, 02:23:57 pm
  • Laser Death Ray Bargain Bin! Make me an offer!
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2010, 10:21:37 pm »
Nice!

MikeyMerse

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2010, 02:39:38 pm »
:cheers:lookin good mate :cheers:
Nice!

Thanks for the replies, guys!

I'm pumped about this project, it is definitely taking longer than expected... but why rush it? Hopefully Sunday will give me more time to work on it.

I've decased speakers I had and I will be mounting the volume control/headphone jack/power switch on the front for easy access, and speakers will most likely be mounted on the bottom marquee panel.

MikeyMerse

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2010, 12:00:03 am »
After sanding and bondo work all day, I finally unveiled that this cabinet used to be a Defender cab.  Sanded/stripped down the paint right to the old Defender artwork.  Pretty neat to find out it was a classic cabinet.

Well the bondo work took the cake today since the bottom of the cab was splintering pretty good.  I still have a little more to do, but painting is pretty soon...

Also got the plexi glass, a 36"x30" sheet.  This will be plenty to cut two marquee pieces to sandwich the marquee art and ~24" for the TV bezel.  I got a spare sheet to do some practice cuts since I've never cut plexiglass before and it was surprisingly easy.  I will just need to go extremely slow on a fast speed.  Also, changing directions cause nasty chips, so I will need to get this cut right.

Should I tint the TV plexiglass?

Pics soon.

MikeyMerse

• Offline Offline
Re: Arcade Stylee - First MAME Cab *Update! Construction done!*
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2010, 05:37:12 pm »
I have a lot of pics in this post!

For the most part, I've repaired all of the large chips in the wood along the bottom of the cabinet.  These chips were probably caused by dragging the cabinet around without leg adjusters.  Bondo work is miserable, if you don't work with that stuff within 5 minutes, it dries up on you.  I've done all the bondo work needed and I've started to prime the cabinet (not pictured) then I will spackle any uneven spots.

I cut out the bottom marquee panel and attached speakers. (Note the speaker holes, I like how they came out.) Also I was able to take the volume control bezel and mount if flush to the front panel to allow for easy volume adjustments and to make it easier to use headphones.

I also have pictured my two marquee retainers (basic aluminum angle I bought at Home Depot). These were really easy to cut with a jigsaw.

You can also see the old Defender logo underneath the paint

Marquee

Speaker holes

Right side

Defender artwork

Corner that has been repaired with bondo

Volume control bezel mounted on the front of the cab

Speakers

Wired control panel (buttons removed to test cp artwork)

CP Artwork test printed on paper (I liked the look, so it's printing at Staples on vinyl as we speak)

My construction area (MDF sucks to clean up!)

Aluminum marquee retainers

What I have to look forward to next.

Thanks for looking!

MikeyMerse

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2010, 06:40:35 pm »
I've been working on getting the computer set up with all the games I need and to make the controls work the way I need.  Also, this is good and bad, because when I test games, I find that I play them for WAY TOO LONG.

Side note: I did not know the IPac VE does not save programmed keysets, had to work around the default settings, but since emulators are so versatile, it wasn't much of a problem.

I will be away this weekend, so I don't know when my next big update will be.... but, more pics will be coming.

MikeyMerse

• Offline Offline
Re: Arcade Stylee - First MAME Cab *Update! Painting has begun!*
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2010, 11:16:15 pm »
Hey all,

I'm in the midst of waiting my first coat to dry overnight before I sand and re-coat. I thought I'd post some pictures with my progress and also post my control panel.

The below pictures show the cabinet primed. After that I bought a spray can of Satin black Krylon to spray down the inside just so there isn't bare wood exposed. Then I put the first coat of high gloss black on. And that's where I am... ENJOY!

After two coats of primer and spraying the inside of the cabinet with the satin black (only one coat)

After 1st coat of the high-gloss

Control Panel's wiring

I added some nylon washers to the screws that go into the restriction plate so I can simply turn the plate to allow for 4 or 8 way - rather than unscrewing and screwing them in everytime

Control Panel artwork

ragnar

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 16, 2022, 10:40:56 am
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2010, 11:20:20 pm »
Looking good!

Where did you get the L shaped aluminum for the marquee holder?  Are you painting it?
MY FIRST BUILD:

MikeyMerse

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2010, 11:29:20 pm »
Looking good!

Where did you get the L shaped aluminum for the marquee holder?  Are you painting it?

Thanks!

I picked it up at Home Depot, ask for 1/16" Aluminum angle stock and they have a small choice to choose from. Really easy to cut, too.

I think I will sand it down and use 600 grit sandpaper on an orbital sander to get a brushed aluminum look. If it shines nicely, I will keep it that way.

MikeyMerse

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2010, 02:09:49 am »
Created my first marquee design, I like it, so we'll see what happens....

PsychoMikey

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 04, 2014, 04:21:35 am
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2010, 05:25:41 am »
Good Job on that paint job. Marquee looks good, but somehow i don't really like the grey font color. maybe a little gradient or something. For a quick mock-up check the attachment.

Rick Dangerous

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 14, 2012, 02:36:21 pm
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2010, 06:59:59 am »
Nice cab :)

PsychoMikey's marquee is nice too, you have to use it ;)

MikeyMerse

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2010, 12:32:35 pm »
Good Job on that paint job. Marquee looks good, but somehow i don't really like the grey font color. maybe a little gradient or something. For a quick mock-up check the attachment.

Very nice, I like that better, thanks Mikey.

I'm used to Photoshop, but after many reformats, I've lost the application and the CD I had. Now I use Jasc PSP and it takes me a little bit to figure it out.  I will definitely mess with the gradients on the font and maybe change the font-face.

I'll rehash the marquee with some alternatives, thanks.

PsychoMikey

• Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2010, 03:52:29 pm »
Ok, cool.  If you have any ideas but can't work them out yourself i'm also willing to help you out there.

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:28:40 am
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2010, 04:16:10 pm »
Looks good.  I'd reprint the CPO if I were you and hide those screws.   :cheers:

MikeyMerse

• Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2010, 05:12:38 pm »
Ok, cool.  If you have any ideas but can't work them out yourself i'm also willing to help you out there.

Thanks, I'll post some alternates up, let me know what you think and offer any criticism you may have, it will definitely help me out.

Looks good.  I'd reprint the CPO if I were you and hide those screws.   :cheers:

I agree, I don't like the screws showing either, but I made this control panel just to help my complete the cabinet. After everything is done, I will work on another and print out a a version with some button/joystick art and cut the holes AFTER I glue the artwork on. I will also put some plexi on the second version, vinyl doesn't handle well with direct use.

MikeyMerse

• Offline Offline
Re: Arcade Stylee - First MAME Cab *Update! Need Opinions on Marquee!*
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2010, 01:03:22 am »
So I did a few more mockups using different font faces ( courtesy of www.1001fonts.com ).

What do you guys think?

MikeyMerse

• Offline Offline
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2010, 01:08:39 am »
So I did a few more mockups using different font faces ( courtesy of www.1001fonts.com ).

What do you guys think, maybe a combination of two different styles?

PsychoMikey

• Offline Offline
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2010, 05:23:35 am »
The font on the middle one looks the best to me. I like the inner shadow. I'm not a big fan of textures applied to fonts my self.

Personally i would redo the clouds. get them better layered (if you know what i mean). Especially the cloud on the bottom right pops out to much.

Attached some files i created for you which you are free to use in any form or shape. I can also send you the psd so you can play around with it some more.

P.s. it's nice to have a marquee background that can't be traced back using google search, right?
http://www.google.nl/images?um=1&hl=nl&rlz=1R2SKPB_nlNL374&biw=1259&bih=814&tbs=isch%3A1&sa=1&q=Space_Art_Wallpapers_00&btnG=Zoeken&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=

MikeyMerse

• Offline Offline
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2010, 12:36:05 pm »
Nice!

Thanks, bud.  I like what you did with the Earth too, gives it a little mysteriousness to it.  And I definitely like the clouds more the way you blurred them and lightened the opacity.

MikeyMerse

• Offline Offline
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2010, 11:37:55 pm »
Ok, I have a lot done up to now. I officially have my software issues resolved... Had some problems with my version of Mame (Mame ++) working with GameEx but I found a good official build alternative and I am now using version .090, command line version.

I scrapped the idea of using the aluminum angle and bought some Happ marquee retainers that I will use instead. I felt that it would be easier to remove the marquee with a poly vinyl retainer rather than a metal one.

I will have some pics soon, the paint looks great, but it's not the smoothest.

Edit: Also, I went with a complete redesign for my marquee which is in my sig, the original design didn't grow on me too well, and I like the darkness of the new one.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2010, 11:44:46 pm by MikeyMerse »

MikeyMerse

• Offline Offline
« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2010, 11:28:48 pm »
More Pics

MikeyMerse

• Offline Offline
Re: Arcade Stylee - First MAME Cab - 99% Complete
« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2011, 12:25:29 pm »
It's been awhile, but I wanted to give this thread some closure with final pics... well, 99% complete pics. We all know an arcade is never 100% complete.

Thank you all for watching, and helping!

« Last Edit: March 25, 2011, 12:35:47 pm by MikeyMerse »

ste

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2014, 01:15:20 pm
« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2011, 01:40:20 pm »
pretty cool well done! its nice to see all those neat and tidy wires under the control panel im so rubbish with cable mangerment. very cool !! :)

MikeyMerse

• Offline Offline
« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2011, 03:01:19 pm »
pretty cool well done! its nice to see all those neat and tidy wires under the control panel im so rubbish with cable mangerment. very cool !! :)

Funny you say that, I didn't want to use cable ties, so I made every wire the exact length it should be to reach the connection points. It turned out nice I think, but I cut a lot of wire short in the process.

Erik

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 10, 2013, 09:04:35 pm
« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2011, 04:26:23 pm »
Looks good but did I miss the explanation of a stylee?

Cynicaster

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 22, 2021, 12:12:55 pm
« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2011, 12:57:40 pm »

+1

Looking at that word, my first tendency is to assume it is the word "style" spelled like a teeny-bopper on Facebook. 

"Hiiiiiiii.... i haz mad styleeee lolololol..... byeeeeeeeeee"  :)

segasega

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 11, 2012, 07:55:18 pm
« Reply #34 on: April 07, 2011, 04:03:21 pm »
Thats the same button layout I am using on my new cab. Looks good bbut does it play good?

MikeyMerse

• Offline Offline
« Reply #35 on: September 01, 2011, 03:26:47 pm »

The name stems from one of my favorite songs by my favorite band.

311 - Omaha Stylee

Thats the same button layout I am using on my new cab. Looks good bbut does it play good?

The button layout is perfect and plays any arcade/emulator game very well (aside from some NeoGeo games.)  I think it's all about resting your fingers naturally on a control panel and your layout should be where they are resting (might not be a good idea with an 7-8 button layout.)

The next venture I am taking on this arcade project is to add original SNES controllers.  I'll be doing this by installing SNES-PC adapters flush on the cabinet to the left of the coin door.  My plan is to make it look like you are plugging the controllers into the cabinet as if it were an SNES console.  This way, you can unplug and coil them to store inside the coin door.

My reason for this is to make it easier to play longer console games (RPG's mostly).  Also, it will allow friends to pick up the controls of the game immediately, rather than learning controls on a joystick.