Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: HyperSpin Maximus Arcade Theme  (Read 28411 times)

Dazz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 26, 2024, 06:43:53 pm
  • HyperSpin Team
    • VPUniverse
HyperSpin Maximus Arcade Theme
« on: July 25, 2010, 06:11:58 pm »
Hey Guys,

I wasn't sure where to post this, but with the future of Maximus Arcade loitering in the void of the internet; I've been questioned by MA users regarding a Maximus Arcade skin/theme for HyperSpin.  I have mentioned before that I've been working on a Maximus Arcade clone theme for HyperSpin. Unfortunately, I have not been able to get authorization from MA to use their images.  The screenshots below were a quick 10 minute creation using ripped Maximus Arcade skin images.  I can't and will not release this skin without authorization from the Maximus Arcade skin creators.  Please look at these images as an example of how HyperSpin can be used in a more minimalistic way to help ease the transition to a new front end.

The HyperSpin team will be working on different images that we can freely use.  

Main System Selection Screen:

HyperSpin has the ability to use transitions when a new system (or even game) is selected.  The default transition to Daphne is a fire like transition.  Of course, like everything else, the transitions can be disabled.

Transition:

Daphne Main Menu:

Game Selection Screen:

Since this still HyperSpin you can use per game themes as well in combination with the Maximus Arcade Main Menu, if you wanted.

Again, these are just examples of a Maximus Arcade clone in HyperSpin. The marquee section of the cabinet on the Game Selection screen can have the game marquee or even the wheel image showing.  If you don't want images for your game selection, text can be used.  The screen on the cabinet can display a static screenshot in .png format or it can display video in .flv format.  The thing is that we can get HyperSpin to display and act very similar to Maximus Arcade.

This thread isn't meant to start any HyperSpin vs.... arguments.  This was created, by request, from a couple MA users that wanted to see a comparison of what HyperSpin can do to be more like Maximus.  

Again, these are not final as I don't have permission to use some of the images.  

I am completely open to suggestions.

Thanks,
Dazz
« Last Edit: July 25, 2010, 06:16:09 pm by Dazz »

DeLuSioNal29

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 20, 2023, 11:39:06 pm
  • Build the impossible -"There is no Spoon"
    • DeLuSioNaL's YouTube Videos
Re: HyperSpin Maximus Arcade Theme
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2010, 06:54:54 pm »
I'm no expert, but I can't see any problems in using them as long as you give some credit to Mameseer in your posts.

The artwork is available here:
http://maximusarcade.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=section&layout=blog&id=12&Itemid=53

Mameseer writes this on the page:
"To help the arcade community in the theme making process, below is access to my collection of console logos in Adobe Illustrator EPS format. Most of them I painstakingly recreated, while some I found at brandsoftheworld.com.

Also below is the Adobe Photoshop CS template of the arcade graphic used in the default themes.

And finally, the Cinema4D model and textures used in the Maximus Arcadius theme pack. If you use any parts of the 3D model in your projects, please give credit to mameseer for building it. Enjoy!"

As long as you have in good faith tried to contact him, I personally don't see a problem with using the graphics.  Especially if it's not for profit.  But if you can't contact him, like it says above as long as you give him credit I don't see a problem with it.

Thoughts?

DeLuSioNaL29
Stop by my Youtube channel and leave a comment:

Dazz

• Offline Offline
  • HyperSpin Team
    • VPUniverse
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2010, 07:09:06 pm »
Thanks Delusional.  In that case; I'll definitely continue working on this theme.

Any suggestions on the theme from the possible Maximus converts?

DeLuSioNal29

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2010, 08:30:05 pm »
My suggestion would be to find alternate graphics for the "Batch Files" and "Daphne" parts.  Most people change those two.  The batch files is changes to something that is labeled PC Games.  The Daphne part is changed to something that doesn't have a monitor around the graphics.  They felt the existing one looked like an emulator, which most people work so hard to disguise on their arcade cabinets.

Also, the font Maximus uses is called "alba matter" and can be found here:
http://www.fonts101.com/default.asp

D

DeLuSioNal29

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2010, 08:52:03 pm »
I grabbed these from the MA forums.  Users there created graphics for all to use.

The first one is by MA forum member Cadmium.
The rest are by MA forum member Artgod

I have invited Artgod to join this conversation over in this new forum.  He is amazing at what he does.

Enjoy!

DeLuSioNaL29

Dazz

• Offline Offline
  • HyperSpin Team
    • VPUniverse
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2010, 09:20:24 pm »
Thanks Delusional. 

With HyperSpin being very graphical by design; I have tons (err, gigabytes) of artwork at my disposal.  I really don't need character artwork.  However, I would like to see some of the backgrounds and images that people are using for systems like Daphne and PC Games.

Right now my primary goal right now is to duplicate the Maximus Arcade default theme and get HyperSpin to act as much Maximus Arcade like as possible.  The theme that I'm working on is to simply help ease the pain of converting to a new front end.  Also, the default themes that I'm creating can easily be updated by users if they want to make changes.  Honestly, I've created themes for both MA and HyperSpin.  I think that creating a theme for HyperSpin is much easier and robust than creating one for MA.  Anyone that knows how to create an MA theme could easily create a HyperSpin theme. 

Bender

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 28, 2016, 08:12:21 pm
    • Happ to Tron Conversion tutorial
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2010, 11:03:22 pm »
Can't wait to see this theme done ;)

Here is one I use for mame
and another one for Daphne (based on a cab from this forum if I remember correctly)
« Last Edit: July 25, 2010, 11:11:52 pm by Bender »

DeLuSioNal29

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2010, 11:09:20 pm »
It's a shame though that Hyperspin does not support vertical setups.  If it did I'd give it a try in a heartbeat for my future vertical build.

D

Dazz

• Offline Offline
  • HyperSpin Team
    • VPUniverse
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2010, 11:28:19 pm »
Can't wait to see this theme done ;)

Here is one I use for mame
and another one for Daphne (based on a cab from this forum if I remember correctly)
Thanks Bender.  Do you still use the Daphne logo or do you call it something different like Laser Disc Games?

It's a shame though that Hyperspin does not support vertical setups.  If it did I'd give it a try in a heartbeat for my future vertical build.

D
Right now, we do not have vertical support.  However we do have vertical version planned for the future, but it is still quite a way from release.  Probably end of 2010/early 2011 would be my guess.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2010, 11:42:12 pm by Dazz »

shateredsoul

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 25, 2013, 08:23:51 pm
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2010, 04:57:40 am »
Not to beat a dead horse, but........

If hyperspin had a built it option to scan directories, then it would be very close to maximus.  This option is pretty vital to retaining the maximus theme and ease of use. Oh and lets not forget avi (yeah i know, not a possibility)

or provide a link to this file http://www.hyperspin-fe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=402 explaining

1. place this file in desired emulator rom folder and execute, press enter (as it asks you to)
2. rename the created xml to match the naming of the system on your hyperspin setup
3. place the file in the database for your system

yes you lose the ability to use themes, videos, display game info, etc.. But as Maximus users we were trained in renaming vids and art.

Dazz

• Offline Offline
  • HyperSpin Team
    • VPUniverse
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2010, 05:28:48 am »
About roms and game lists:

Yes, not to beat a dead horse, but we are highly aware of the rom folder scanning.  Different approaches to this are being worked on as we speak. 

If your roms are already No-Intro named and current then you shouldn't have any problems at all when it comes to game lists.  If not it's a matter of using a rom auditing tool such as CLRMamePro with a No-Intro dat file to rename your rom sets.  I think knowing what rom sets you have, how to update your rom sets and learning how to use CLRMamePro are all crucial if you're going to seriously commit to building a cab/emulation machine. This theory isn't specific to HyperSpin and is something that anyone using any front end should know and use. 

Why would anyone want to use .avi files still? ... other than so they don't have to re-download.  Avi files are large in size and less in quality when compared to .flv files.  .flv files can be manupilated in ways that would make a .avi cry.  Even other front ends have added .flv support, so I don't see any reason to ever go back to using .avi files for this scene.

shateredsoul

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2010, 02:31:21 pm »

I think knowing what rom sets you have, how to update your rom sets and learning how to use CLRMamePro are all crucial if you're going to seriously commit to building a cab/emulation machine. This theory isn't specific to HyperSpin and is something that anyone using any front end should know and use. 

Why would anyone want to use .avi files still? ... other than so they don't have to re-download.  Avi files are large in size and less in quality when compared to .flv files.  .flv files can be manupilated in ways that would make a .avi cry.  Even other front ends have added .flv support, so I don't see any reason to ever go back to using .avi files for this scene.

I was running Maximus Arcade, setting up emulators,  adding new systems all without using clrmamepro.  And I was serious!  So I'd argue it's not crucial if you have a set of roms you're happy with.  I only used it later to figure out what roms I was missing for mame, but that was only recently. Glad to hear new options are being developed.  Great news!

I made a video of Border Down for Sega Naomi, and I converted it to .flv format using circo's methods.  The avi file looks noticeably better.  That's the only reason really. You're right though, for hyperspin avi wont work.

I don't think it's the look that's keeping people from trying hyperspin instead of maximus (after all hyperspin is free and looks pretty nice). Maybe lack of knowledge, patience, or time on the users part? Maybe they already invested a lot of time in renaming vids and don't want to invest more time in renaming rom sets again? Hyperspin is really customizable and the only thing I've really found that is time consuming once you have the naming down is the HyperLaunch file... adding systems isn't as easy but once you add them they run really well. This is especially true for systems that required mounting games through daemon (pcfx, sega saturn, and turbo grafx are running great!).

just defending my first front end is all, it has it's great points. Anyways, the point is the theme you are working on looks great :applaud:, but HyperLaunch is scary to new ppl 

Dazz

• Offline Offline
  • HyperSpin Team
    • VPUniverse
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2010, 10:19:15 pm »

I was running Maximus Arcade, setting up emulators,  adding new systems all without using clrmamepro.  And I was serious!  So I'd argue it's not crucial if you have a set of roms you're happy with.
Meh, I'm not going to argue with you anymore over this.... I honestly think that learning rom management is a big part to being able to fully enjoy the emulation scene, especially if you are a rom collector.  It sure takes the headaches away when trying to find out why a rom isn't working, especially with MAME.  It's just my recommendation to learn this for anyone that's wanting to get the most out of the emulation scene.

Anyway, the power supply in my PC died overnight and I was unable to get any work done on this theme.  Hopefully tomorrow I'll be able to put some more work into it. I think I can have a complete Maximus Arcade like Main Menu and game select menus done done in just a couple hours.

DeLuSioNal29

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2010, 01:54:34 pm »
As for .FLV vs. .AVI - It really depends on what program you ENCODE the file with.  FLV is just as sharp, but some programs make it look like crap.  I'm in the TV biz and we encode stuff all the time for air.  There are professional programs out there that make things look great (hefty price tag) and then there the typical $20 program that outputs garbage.

My guess is the program you are using isn't compressing it well.  Either that or your settings are not set correctly for the best output.

D

shateredsoul

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2010, 11:37:02 pm »
hmm could you recommend a program to convert avi to flvs? I'm using the adobe media encoder. Maybe i'm using the wrong settings but it would be cool to know if there is a better program available.

Bender

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2010, 11:32:10 am »
Thanks Bender.  Do you still use the Daphne logo or do you call it something different like Laser Disc Games?

I'm using the MA stock logo now, but If I switch to HS I'm going to include those in the MAME list where they belong IMHO

Anyway, the power supply in my PC died overnight and I was unable to get any work done on this theme.  Hopefully tomorrow I'll be able to put some more work into it. I think I can have a complete Maximus Arcade like Main Menu and game select menus done done in just a couple hours.

get your power supply up and running yet? >:D
« Last Edit: July 29, 2010, 11:39:35 am by Bender »

Bender

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2010, 10:25:05 pm »
Hey Dazz,

I've been messing with HS a little and I've run into a problem...
If you have a horizontal "Wheel" on the main menu and a vertical "Wheel" on the console menus I can't get the joystick movement to match
in other words either the joystick selection is left right for the horizontal and it is still that way for vertical or visa versa (can you map the controls differently for different emus?)
I think the horizontal "wheel" should automatically switch the joystick orientation to match
and since you don't need to advance by letter or number on such a short list as the main menu it wouldn't be a problem to disable that or even leave that as up and down

Dazz

• Offline Offline
  • HyperSpin Team
    • VPUniverse
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2010, 01:38:01 am »
Hey Bender,

I'm still working on the theme slowly but surely.  I have the system themes done for the most part.  I'm still debating on how to do the game list screens. 

The automatic switching of the joystick depending on the wheel rotation is a limitation of this version of HyperSpin.  I think there may be a way to map multiple inputs, but I have not tested it yet.  If not, I'll see if we can get that option in the next version of HS.

Bender

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2010, 09:35:58 am »
SWEET!!!!!!

Keep workin' I'm waiting very impatiently ;)