Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Robotron Restoration  (Read 41399 times)

Spyridon

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 30, 2021, 02:47:05 pm
Re: Robotron Restoration
« Reply #40 on: September 21, 2010, 08:30:33 pm »
Heh, I like the idea of taking a day off for arcade restoration work. :lol

Colder weather is not far out.  Need to get moving on this while the painting conditions are still optimal
My current collection:  Arkanoid^3, Asteroids Deluxe, Centipede, Donkey Kong w/DIIK, Frenzy w/Berzerk multi, Galaga, Galaxian, Gyruss, Mappy,  Missile Command, Multi-Williams, O'Boyles Arcade (Mame), Pac-man,  Sinistar, Star Wars, Tempest, War Gods

arcadefan85

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 16, 2014, 09:44:57 pm
« Reply #41 on: September 22, 2010, 10:25:09 pm »
Great job! My son and I are getting ready to restore his Robotron. Maybe we will do mine when were done. Don't toss your old sticks. Chuck them up in a drill motor on low gear and polish them with scotch-brite and polishing compound. :cheers:

Spyridon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #42 on: September 24, 2010, 12:55:26 pm »
Well the day off from work was a complete success.  (and it was 85 degrees which was nice)

I sanded down the cab with some 150 grit sandpaper to get it nice and smooth.  I used the air compressor to blow away all the dust and then a tack cloth to wipe down the whole cab.  I wanted to make sure it was nice and clean before beginning to paint.

Since I'll be using a combination of oil based paints (black) and latex (everything else), I needed to go with an oil based primer.  It's okay to put latex over oil, but you don't want to put oil paint over latex.  It probably wouldn't cause a problem, but latex paint needs to breath and unless you let it cure long enough, it could bubble up under the oil paint.

First coat of primer sprayed on:

I'll sand between coats and go with at least two coats of primer.  Once that is in place, I'll be able to judge if I think it needs a third coat.
My current collection:  Arkanoid^3, Asteroids Deluxe, Centipede, Donkey Kong w/DIIK, Frenzy w/Berzerk multi, Galaga, Galaxian, Gyruss, Mappy,  Missile Command, Multi-Williams, O'Boyles Arcade (Mame), Pac-man,  Sinistar, Star Wars, Tempest, War Gods

Spyridon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #43 on: September 26, 2010, 06:47:11 pm »
Second coat of primer is in place.  I sanded with 220 grit sandpaper between coats.

Unless my sanding uncovers any problem areas, that should be it for the primer.  Next up is the black.

matman

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 18, 2021, 02:11:39 am
« Reply #44 on: October 03, 2010, 02:44:14 pm »
Looking good.  Why did you decide to go with oil based black instead of doing a complete latex job?

Also, are you repainting the top?

Spyridon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #45 on: October 03, 2010, 04:56:56 pm »
Looking good.  Why did you decide to go with oil based black instead of doing a complete latex job? 

I really prefer oil paints and the Rustoleum Satin Black is the best black paint I've found so I wanted to use it. 

Also, are you repainting the top?

Yes

Spyridon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #46 on: October 03, 2010, 04:58:18 pm »
2nd coat of black paint applied and side masking removed  (paint still wet in this photo)

matman

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 18, 2021, 02:11:39 am
« Reply #47 on: October 04, 2010, 02:40:33 am »
how are you keeping the upper back door on?  just screws?

mine has a hole for a lock assembly that I think i'll re-use.  (my restoration is going to take forever..)

Yours is complete motivation for me. ;)

Spyridon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #48 on: October 04, 2010, 08:51:19 am »
how are you keeping the upper back door on?  just screws?

mine has a hole for a lock assembly that I think i'll re-use.  (my restoration is going to take forever..) 

Right now just two screws holding it in place.  Eventually, I'll drill a new hole and install a lock

Yours is complete motivation for me. ;)

Go for it!

Spyridon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #49 on: October 09, 2010, 05:16:52 pm »
Cab masked off for the side painting:

And the first coat of gray paint applied:

The main side color is a two step process.  First the base gray goes down (a few coats), and then a metallic paint is applied over it to give it the Robotron sparkle!

Spyridon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #50 on: October 10, 2010, 02:02:30 pm »
Sanded down the first coat with some 220 grit sandpaper and then applied the second coat

Paint is perfectly smooth with no orange peel which is nice!

I also finally figured out how to deal with the adhesive on the control panel.  Williams must use adhesive that could survive a nuclear blast as these panels are the biggest pain to clean up.  After no success with several "safe" strippers, I finally found one that works.

It still requires some elbow grease, but this stuff really softens the adhesive and allows you to scrap it off. 

Spyridon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #51 on: October 22, 2010, 05:24:36 pm »
Two coats of silver pewter were put on over the gray base coat (doesn't photograph well, but looks really good)

Spyridon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #52 on: October 22, 2010, 05:36:46 pm »
Just an administrative question.  Are these pictures too big?  I've been uploading them at full size instead of shrinking them down like I did in some earlier threads.  Would you prefer smaller pics?

SirPeale

• Green Mountain Man
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 04, 2023, 09:51:57 am
  • Arcade Repair in New England
    • Arcade Game and Other Coin-Op Projects
« Reply #53 on: October 22, 2010, 06:56:41 pm »
Is fine sizewize, but perhaps less photos per post?  On the last page, even on broadband, it took quite a while to load them all.  Spread them out a bit.  I don't care how many page the thread takes up, but I'd still like to be able to see your work.

Spyridon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #54 on: October 24, 2010, 06:45:03 pm »
First layer stencil (blue) was applied to the cab

Premask removed

And the rest of the cab masked off for painting

Blue paint sprayed on

Spyridon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #55 on: October 24, 2010, 06:47:12 pm »
I pulled the stencil off when the paint was still slightly tacky.  No issues with removing the stencil and none of the paint pulled up.

And the reveal...

Went on great and perfectly smooth.  Now just need to line up the red stencil and paint

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 02, 2024, 07:42:30 pm
« Reply #56 on: October 24, 2010, 10:46:10 pm »
Lookin' really nice! The stencils look great so far. This cabinet is going to be a beauty!

Spyridon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #57 on: October 25, 2010, 09:27:14 am »
Lookin' really nice! The stencils look great so far. This cabinet is going to be a beauty!

Thanks.  I have to say that the most fun part of a restoration has to be peeling off the stencils.  It's exciting to see what was left behind and makes you step back and marvel at how good it looks.  Nothing beats a stenciled cab (do you hear that Level42!  ;D)

orion

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 07, 2022, 03:58:03 pm
« Reply #58 on: October 25, 2010, 05:57:56 pm »
You never cease to amaze!  :cheers: So how many of your restos have I missed out on this past year.... 10, 100???? 

Spyridon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #59 on: October 26, 2010, 04:29:00 pm »
So how many of your restos have I missed out on this past year.... 10, 100???? 

I really don't do that many, I just spend many months working on each one.  Expect a slow down as my wife and I just had our first child.  A happy healthy baby girl!!!!      :w00t

Of course, I am picking up another classic Williams game tomorrow.  So expect another stencil job in the Spring.   :droid

m_mcgover

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 13, 2020, 09:19:55 pm
« Reply #60 on: October 26, 2010, 07:17:44 pm »
Of course, I am picking up another classic Williams game tomorrow.  So expect another stencil job in the Spring.   :droid

Hopefully a Sinistar.  I'd like a reference for when I eventually get to mine.   :lol
Sinistar, 25" Smash TV, Major Havoc 720, Star Wars cockpit w/ESB kit, Robotron cocktail, Warlords cocktail, Back to the Future pinball

MythTrip

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 26, 2011, 08:12:28 pm
« Reply #61 on: October 26, 2010, 07:29:56 pm »
Joe,

The Robotron is starting to look really nice.  Thanks again for all your hard work, it's
very much appreciated.

Jim

:applaud:
« Last Edit: October 26, 2010, 07:31:33 pm by MythTrip »

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #62 on: October 26, 2010, 08:13:59 pm »

Hopefully a Sinistar.  I'd like a reference for when I eventually get to mine.   :lol
I'm betting it's a Joust!

Spyridon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #63 on: October 26, 2010, 10:39:09 pm »

Ding Ding Ding...we have a winner!

orion

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 07, 2022, 03:58:03 pm
« Reply #64 on: October 26, 2010, 11:23:58 pm »
So how many of your restos have I missed out on this past year.... 10, 100???? 

I really don't do that many, I just spend many months working on each one.  Expect a slow down as my wife and I just had our first child.  A happy healthy baby girl!!!!      :w00t

Congrats! Children have a way of changing your life in a major way! :) I always enjoy your stencil jobs.. you have been the master at paint jobs, ever since you got that air compressor and went to town on that Gorf :) One day I'm going to give that a try myself... you make it look easy though!  :cheers:

m_mcgover

• Offline Offline
« Reply #65 on: October 27, 2010, 07:40:30 am »

Ding Ding Ding...we have a winner!

exxxccceeellllent.    :applaud:
Sinistar, 25" Smash TV, Major Havoc 720, Star Wars cockpit w/ESB kit, Robotron cocktail, Warlords cocktail, Back to the Future pinball

Spyridon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #66 on: October 27, 2010, 03:38:48 pm »

Don't want to throw this thread into a tangent, but I may have a problem with a full stencil restore on the Sini.  Look what I ended up getting:

I had no pictures of the sides when I bid on it on eBay.

m_mcgover

• Offline Offline
« Reply #67 on: October 27, 2010, 04:50:46 pm »
My suggestion is that you just restencil mine.   :lol

Spyridon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #68 on: November 02, 2010, 08:38:27 am »
Time for the next layer of color.

Stencil lined up and cab masked off

Red paint sprayed on

Spyridon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #69 on: November 02, 2010, 08:41:39 am »
And the unveiling:

RetroACTIVE

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 28, 2024, 04:27:52 pm
  • Gramps
« Reply #70 on: November 02, 2010, 01:59:22 pm »
Where is the fan?  :laugh2:

Seriously, that's flipping gorgeous!

I'm getting ready to do my Berzerk... I have a ton of body work to do first... It will be my second stencil.   Did you do just one hit with the stencil colors?
Happy Gaming!

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #71 on: November 02, 2010, 02:37:36 pm »
Beautiful! :applaud:
The owner is going to be so happy.  :)

Spyridon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #72 on: November 02, 2010, 02:56:17 pm »
I'm getting ready to do my Berzerk... I have a ton of body work to do first... It will be my second stencil.   Did you do just one hit with the stencil colors?

I did one coat of blue, but when I got to the red, I did several light coats over a couple hour period.  I tried to give it some time to dry between coats so it didn't run.  It took a while to cover the blue.  Next time, I may hit it with a coat of white first then the red.

Are you going to add the texture to the Berzerk sides?

Spyridon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #73 on: November 02, 2010, 02:57:50 pm »

I hope so.  These restorations for hire are fun, but it's tough to let go of it in the end   :cry:

Spyridon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #74 on: November 02, 2010, 03:04:30 pm »
I just got the painting done just in time.  This was my last weekend to do it.  Temperatures have now dropped (as of today) below the minimum for painting.  I wish I had a heated external garage to work in.  Can't do any more painting until Spring (and I've got a line of cabs waiting)

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #75 on: November 02, 2010, 03:48:54 pm »
I just got the painting done just in time.  This was my last weekend to do it.  Temperatures have now dropped (as of today) below the minimum for painting.  I wish I had a heated external garage to work in.  Can't do any more painting until Spring (and I've got a line of cabs waiting)

Is your garage insulated enough so that you can use those portable heaters to warm up the space? Or is that not warm enough conditions for painting?

Spyridon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #76 on: November 02, 2010, 07:55:04 pm »

Is your garage insulated enough so that you can use those portable heaters to warm up the space? Or is that not warm enough conditions for painting?

Probably not insulated enough as it gets below freezing, but even if it was warm enough, I need to get the car out of the cold.  I already had to scrape the windows.   

MythTrip

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 26, 2011, 08:12:28 pm
« Reply #77 on: November 02, 2010, 09:25:23 pm »

I hope so.  These restorations for hire are fun, but it's tough to let go of it in the end   :cry:

Wow, Joe.  The cab looks absolutely gorgeous.  The colors really leap off the sides.  Thanks again. 
 :notworthy:

If it makes you feel any better, you can rest assured the game will be going to a loving home. 
:)

valgalder

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 25, 2012, 06:05:37 am
« Reply #78 on: November 02, 2010, 10:50:43 pm »
  amazing amazing work! 

m_mcgover

• Offline Offline
« Reply #79 on: November 03, 2010, 09:46:40 am »

How cold is too cold?  Down near Philadelphia, we should still hit temps in the low 60s next week.  I need to get some paining done in that week!