Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: MAME Software and PC Hardware question  (Read 1916 times)

Rulkiewicz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 22, 2010, 08:28:12 pm
MAME Software and PC Hardware question
« on: July 22, 2010, 07:34:26 pm »
From what I've read, it seems that 3D arcade games seem to run better on older version of MAME and slower PC's as opposed to a newer version of MAME and a higher end PC, is this true?

Dazz

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 26, 2024, 06:43:53 pm
  • HyperSpin Team
    • VPUniverse
Re: MAME Software and PC Hardware question
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2010, 09:12:02 pm »
That would make absolutely no sense at all...  You're saying that a 500mhz computer will run the newer 3D games better than a 4ghz computer? 

To run most of the 3D games like Gauntlet Legends at full speed you will need a 5ghz+ computer.  The version of MAME just depends on when that game was added to MAME.  Compiling MAME and running a 64bit operating system does offer a noticeable boost in some games.

Rulkiewicz

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2010, 09:34:39 pm »
Thanks for the clairification.  I'm trying to test a few different versions of MAME, I have (I think) all of the proper SNES bios' and a game.  I cannot load the game via MAME32, but in the command line versions 131 and 136 I can load the bios' but when I select the SNES one, I type ok, then get some load sucess screen and then blankness.  Any ideas?

Dazz

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 26, 2024, 06:43:53 pm
  • HyperSpin Team
    • VPUniverse
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2010, 09:48:38 pm »
Why would you be using MAME for SNES?  ZSnes is the best emulator for SNES games.

Rulkiewicz

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2010, 09:55:15 pm »
I'm (trying) to work with MAME to build an MAME Arcade... I was under the assumption that I could run MAME to emulate NES, SNES, TG16, etc, etc.  (Such as the MAME Arcades on youtube and such) Am I mistaken?

Ginsu Victim

• Yeah, owning a MAME cab only leads to owning real ones. MAME just isn't good enough. It's a gateway drug.
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 08, 2023, 02:40:58 pm
  • Comanche, OK -- USA
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2010, 10:00:32 pm »
Quite mistaken. Use ZSNES.

Rulkiewicz

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2010, 10:22:56 pm »

Thank you.

So I would need a separate emulator for every system, then somehow use some type of frontend to toggle between these emulators?

Gatt

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 04, 2020, 08:24:38 pm
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2010, 10:38:34 pm »

Thank you.

So I would need a separate emulator for every system, then somehow use some type of frontend to toggle between these emulators?

This is correct,  you can use MESS as Sune suggested to do a number of systems,  but it's not perfect for all.

Alternatively,  this link will lead you to a centralized place to start...

http://www.emuwiki.com/index.php?title=Emulation_on_PC_(DOS/Windows)

(You'll have to refresh the page by clicking pc/windows on the right,  it doesn't seem to like linking to)

From there,  you'll need to use a frontend to access all of your emulators from one program.  I recommend either Mala(Found here on this board) or Hyperspin at www.hyperspin-fe.com

They're both fine frontends,  both have alot of bling to them.  I've a preference as all of us do,  but it's up to you to decide which is right for you.  It'll take a little work to get things the way you want them,  but it'll pay off in the end.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 10:40:48 pm by Gatt »