Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: No Name MAME  (Read 53793 times)

TheGatesofBill

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 22, 2018, 09:07:04 am
Re:No Name MAME
« Reply #40 on: September 03, 2003, 03:46:15 pm »
Well, the site is for all of No Name Development, not just No Name MAME. If I ever get my sourceforge account approved (or someone offers me some nice hosting), I'll redo the design, until then, its staying. But the SF version will be well thought out and informative.

Your welcome. I love to code, and this seemed like a good project seeing how I'm making a MAME cabinet, so this is as much for me as for the end user. ;D

djll

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 28, 2009, 04:26:13 pm
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #41 on: September 03, 2003, 07:36:31 pm »
BillGates, could you tell us exactly what features make No Name MAME better than the regular MAME?  I'm trying to find out if your version if the one I should put in my cab... Does No Name play some games better than the regular version?

Thank in advance and thanks for your contribution to the scene.

TheGatesofBill

• Offline Offline
« Reply #42 on: September 03, 2003, 08:14:38 pm »
You could just read whatsnew.txt and see what I've changes, but since you asked, I'll list them out (I may have missed a few things):
  • Re-added all the drivers that were removed from MAME for various reasons (including: Pong, Monaco GP, and Lucky Today).
  • Added all the drivers for the hacked roms from MiSFiTMAME (including: Galaga X, Vector Pacman, and Marpy)
  • Added most of the PacMAME drivers (includes many new versions of Pac Man), the games containing the words "zola" or "fast" are not yet included
  • Added better analog controller support (thanks u_rebelscum)
  • Made all of the changes documented by SirPoonga (including: getting rid on input menu, various skips, and various inis)
  • Various fixes and changes that were too trivial to document
  • Most recent version of the MAME source code (including the patches put out by Haze)
Also, unlike many creators of unofficial MAME versions. I will do my best to provide support for this. If you have any problems with anything, or have any suggestions for future versions, feel free to contact me, and I'll try to make it happen.

TalkingOctopus

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 06, 2023, 03:39:02 am
  • @!#?@!
    • My Arcade
« Reply #43 on: September 04, 2003, 12:02:41 am »
Nice work, although I had trouble with the website, it is the version of mame that I am currently using  :)

TheGatesofBill

• Offline Offline
« Reply #44 on: September 04, 2003, 07:05:26 am »
Nice work, although I had trouble with the website, it is the version of mame that I am currently using  :)
I've started a redesign. I think I'll leave the old one up though, and have a menu for which design the visitor would like to use.

TheGatesofBill

• Offline Offline
« Reply #45 on: September 04, 2003, 05:13:56 pm »
I have a new version of No Name MAME ready. Although it mainly just uses the changes from MAME 0.73, I'm going to the next version number anyways.

At the moment, I'm only uploading the Windows versions. The DOS version and the source code will be uploaded once MAME 0.73 for DOS is released (it does compile fine though).

No Name MAME 0.73 (Windows)
No Name MAME 0.73 (MAME32)

knuttz

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 14, 2017, 01:46:08 pm
« Reply #46 on: September 05, 2003, 01:49:03 am »
I use the "Fastmame" derivative because my computer is pretty slow but I would love to use your program.  How hard would it be to add the fastmame optimizations to No Name Mame?

edit:  Well looking at fastmame's homepage www.geoshock.com, I don't see the source avalible for download so nevermind.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2003, 01:51:23 am by knuttz »
"Look at all those hamburgers. You can't eat all those hamburgers you stupid fella, OH GEEZ!" "OH he's gonna do it! He's so rediculous."

u_rebelscum

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2010, 03:06:26 pm
  • You rebel scum
    • Mame:Analog+
« Reply #47 on: September 05, 2003, 05:35:01 am »
I use the "Fastmame" derivative because my computer is pretty slow but I would love to use your program.  How hard would it be to add the fastmame optimizations to No Name Mame?

edit:  Well looking at fastmame's homepage www.geoshock.com, I don't see the source avalible for download so nevermind.

AFAIK, Fastmame uses the standard code, and the only difference is the compiler: all optimizations are in the compiler's compile options.
Robin
Knowledge is Power

TheGatesofBill

• Offline Offline
« Reply #48 on: September 05, 2003, 06:23:32 am »
Well, I've e-mailed katharsis and asked for the source. I'll see where this ends up.

TheGatesofBill

• Offline Offline
« Reply #49 on: September 05, 2003, 06:30:50 pm »
Just wanted to comment on the number of downloads of No Name MAME. Although for some reason I can't access my server access logs, I can see there were quite a few downloads. How can I tell, you ask? The hard drive is almost constantly being accessed, and it is using up most of my available bandwidth. Actually, the insides of my server got so hot that it shut itself down. :o Now I've added 3 fans, taken off the side and pointed an industrial fan at the innards.  ;D

TheGatesofBill

• Offline Offline
« Reply #50 on: September 06, 2003, 12:38:16 am »
The new version of No Name MAME is out/ Even though the Windows versions have been out for 2 days, I'm reposting them, since the DOS version and source are up.

Changes in this version:
0.73.07:
 - Updated to MAME 0.73 source code
 - Added Analog+ changes to MAME32 version
 - Starting crediting Anaglog+ creator (sorry u_rebelscum)
 - Modified makefile for easier compiling

No Name MAME 0.73 (Windows)
No Name MAME 0.73 (MAME32)
No Name MAME 0.73 (DOS)
No Name MAME 0.73 (Source)
« Last Edit: September 06, 2003, 12:38:34 am by TheGatesofBill »

jakejake28

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 02, 2005, 07:23:54 pm
  • Thank you sir, may I have another?
« Reply #51 on: September 06, 2003, 11:27:16 am »
possible that you could add cocktailmame patch?

www.pacmanfan.com/download/cocktailpatch.zip

thans to pmf for makin the patch... i use no name mame myself now, so i'd luv to see this as an adition.
It's all about the Pentiums

TheGatesofBill

• Offline Offline
« Reply #52 on: September 06, 2003, 11:41:46 am »
Well, unless I misunderstood something, all this does is set the defaults to cocktail mode instead of upright mode. If this is the case, I will not be adding this patch (well in its current form anyways). I may add either an option to compile it by just setting a compile option (ex: make COCKTAIL=1 or something). Or if I can figure it out, but running no name mame with a flag (ex: noname -cocktail).

rajo

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 25, 2003, 04:20:07 pm
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #53 on: September 06, 2003, 06:49:20 pm »
This build is a great work. Congratulations!
My advise is that you clean up rom load for misfit games, still there are many mistyped CRC's in the source. For example CRC(00000), or CRC(00001), as well as missing leading zero in a CRC. Beside, my wish is to have, also, all the sets from mameplus included. There is an Italian build with these too. Additionally, have you ever thought on adding EsMame extra games?

Once again: great work buddy!!

TheGatesofBill

• Offline Offline
« Reply #54 on: September 06, 2003, 08:18:53 pm »
This build is a great work. Congratulations!
Thanks. ;D
My advise is that you clean up rom load for misfit games, still there are many mistyped CRC's in the source. For example CRC(00000), or CRC(00001), as well as missing leading zero in a CRC.
I'll try to get to that soon. Of course, I'll need to get all the MiSFiT roms first.
Beside, my wish is to have, also, all the sets from mameplus included. There is an Italian build with these too.
I'm working on that right now in fact. ;)
Additionally, have you ever thought on adding EsMame extra games?
After reading this post, I looked for the source, but all I could find only translated the MAME32 GUI into Spanish. If you provided me with a link, I'll work on it.
Once again: great work buddy!!
;D

rajo

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #55 on: September 07, 2003, 06:14:15 am »
Here is the link to EsMAME source. Actually, there are only a few games not supported elsewhere, like Death Derby and Ballon Ace. Also, I think that there are at least two versions of Vantris around (one from MisFit and another from PatchMame). I do not know if these two are the same thing?

rajo

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #56 on: September 07, 2003, 08:50:37 am »

TheGatesofBill

• Offline Offline
« Reply #57 on: September 07, 2003, 09:43:02 am »
Hmm... that zip file only contains a modified ui_text.c (so basically a Spanish translation). Does anyone here speak Spanish well enough to contact the author?

And I'm pretty sure the two versions of Vantris are the same, but I'll take a look later if nobody knows.

TheGatesofBill

• Offline Offline
« Reply #58 on: September 07, 2003, 03:58:05 pm »
I just had a chance to fully go through the MAME Plus source. It seems like No Name MAME already has all the games included in it. (Correct me if I'm wrong). However, I will probably still work to add some of the features included in MAME Plus.

Oh, and I found the reason for my server being so busy. It seems that I got myself listed on emuchina. ;D
« Last Edit: September 07, 2003, 03:58:49 pm by TheGatesofBill »

NickS

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 11, 2014, 06:59:58 am
  • I want to Build My Own Arcade Controls!!
« Reply #59 on: September 07, 2003, 04:09:27 pm »
Hello,

I am about to download the latest version and look forward to trying it out. I read about you asking for anything else that could be added. I remember reading that someone had written a patch to allow mach3 to work in mame. The link is http://www.boldtower.com/mach3/. This may or may not be of interest but I thought I would mention it. I did here that someone had also written a similar patch for Dragons Lair but I can not find any details at the moment.

TheGatesofBill

• Offline Offline
« Reply #60 on: September 07, 2003, 05:15:05 pm »
It seems that although MACH3 is already in MAME, it is flagged as not working. I guess I'll take a look at that patch.

rajo

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #61 on: September 07, 2003, 05:36:16 pm »
You might also add Sauro (bootleg), whiich was, i think, included in PatchMame. Regarding MamePlus, there are Neogeo decrypted sets, which you also migh add.
In the end, I am sorry for the mess about esmame soource  :'(

Keep up the good work!

rajo

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #62 on: September 07, 2003, 05:41:02 pm »
About Vantris: the versions from MisFitMame and MamePlus have different romsets, i do not know if this is a mistake or a real distinction :-)

TheGatesofBill

• Offline Offline
« Reply #63 on: September 07, 2003, 05:50:42 pm »
I remember reading that someone had written a patch to allow mach3 to work in mame. The link is http://www.boldtower.com/mach3/. This may or may not be of interest but I thought I would mention it.
I looked into it, and I can't get mpeg2dec to compile on my system, so I can't get that patch to work right now. I may try again later.
You might also add Sauro (bootleg), whiich was, i think, included in PatchMame. Regarding MamePlus, there are Neogeo decrypted sets, which you also migh add.
I'll look into it.
In the end, I am sorry for the mess about esmame soource  :'(
It's all good. ;)
About Vantris: the versions from MisFitMame and MamePlus have different romsets, i do not know if this is a mistake or a real distinction :-)
I just looked at both versions side by side. The drivers are the same line for line, CRCs and all.

Oh, and I am planning on adding the cocktail mode switch (probably "noname -cocktail"). Does anyone know who made the cocktail patcher? I would like to have a quick chat with him.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2003, 05:52:27 pm by TheGatesofBill »

jakejake28

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 02, 2005, 07:23:54 pm
  • Thank you sir, may I have another?
« Reply #64 on: September 07, 2003, 06:34:03 pm »

Oh, and I am planning on adding the cocktail mode switch (probably "noname -cocktail"). Does anyone know who made the cocktail patcher? I would like to have a quick chat with him.

PacMAnFan, actually. he's a member of this board here himself
It's all about the Pentiums

TheGatesofBill

• Offline Offline
« Reply #65 on: September 07, 2003, 07:03:24 pm »
Thanks, I'll send him a message right now.

rajo

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #66 on: September 08, 2003, 06:27:07 am »
Hey, sorry, I wanted to say that patchMame and MisfitMame Vantris roms are different.  ;D

TheGatesofBill

• Offline Offline
« Reply #67 on: September 08, 2003, 03:20:42 pm »
Hey, sorry, I wanted to say that patchMame and MisfitMame Vantris roms are different.  ;D
I've used source from both PatchMAME and MiSiTMAME, and if I remember correctly, one version of the driver wouldn't compile correctly, but I'll look into it when I get a free second.

creatine28

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 26, 2012, 03:41:48 pm
  • Which way to the Arcade?
« Reply #68 on: September 08, 2003, 05:56:36 pm »
Just wonder if you've heard anything back regarding Fast mame optimization?  

Well, I've e-mailed katharsis and asked for the source. I'll see where this ends up.

TheGatesofBill

• Offline Offline
« Reply #69 on: September 08, 2003, 06:26:52 pm »
No reply, no message returned to sender either. You could ask if you want and get back to me if you get a reply. Maybe you'll have better luck than I did.

Minwah

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 18, 2019, 05:03:20 am
    • MAMEWAH
« Reply #70 on: September 08, 2003, 07:32:05 pm »
No reply, no message returned to sender either. You could ask if you want and get back to me if you get a reply. Maybe you'll have better luck than I did.

I mailed the guy once, but didn't get a reply either...

But as someone said, the optimisations are all in the compiler.

I'm just about to try your build btw ;)

TheGatesofBill

• Offline Offline
« Reply #71 on: September 08, 2003, 08:04:25 pm »
Well, anyone know what flags will make it run nicer?
I'm just about to try your build btw ;)
Coolness, I hope you already downloaded it, because my server diesd a horrible (and hopefully temporary) death. I hope I can get it up again. If not, you'll just have to wait until SourceForge gets around to approving my account.

TheGatesofBill

• Offline Offline
« Reply #72 on: September 08, 2003, 08:46:24 pm »
The server may not be back up for a while. According to the various checks that have been running for the past few hours, my hard disks have suffered physical damage, and there is an impending hardware failure. What a great thing to happen when I'm flat broke.  >:(  I sure hope SourceForge approves the project soon.

Minwah

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 18, 2019, 05:03:20 am
    • MAMEWAH
« Reply #73 on: September 09, 2003, 06:49:23 am »
Sorry to hear about your server problems  :(  I managed to get the file though somehow...

I haven't used it much but I like the skip_baddumps etc. switches...Next I want to play Pong ;)

TheGatesofBill

• Offline Offline
« Reply #74 on: September 09, 2003, 07:07:24 am »
Sorry to hear about your server problems  :(  I managed to get the file though somehow...
Well, it is running, so get what you want off it while its up, because it's not long for this world.
I haven't used it much but I like the skip_baddumps etc. switches...Next I want to play Pong ;)
Yea, I have my noname.ini set up with all the skips turned on. ;D
Oh, and remember, Pong has no AI of any kind, so find a buddy.

u_rebelscum

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2010, 03:06:26 pm
  • You rebel scum
    • Mame:Analog+
« Reply #75 on: September 09, 2003, 08:55:04 pm »
Well, anyone know what flags will make it run nicer?

I don't now what flags he uses.  But IIRC, it's the intel compiler, not gcc.  So it would use different flags than us gcc'ers. [shrug]

As far as what are the best flags for gcc, I don't know that either. :P
Robin
Knowledge is Power

TheGatesofBill

• Offline Offline
« Reply #76 on: September 09, 2003, 09:19:52 pm »
Anything that requires me to change compilers, I'm not going to do. I tried using the Visual C++ compiler, which supposedly gets better speeds, but it didn't like 90% of my code (I've never seen such a large list of errors).

SirPoonga

• Puck'em Up
  • Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2023, 09:22:35 pm
  • The Bears Still Suck!
« Reply #77 on: September 09, 2003, 09:23:32 pm »
  • Made all of the changes documented by SirPoonga (including: getting rid on input menu, various skips, and various inis)
Ok, you bad bad person.  Did you use ALL of my code?  Even the artwork hack?  That artwork hack is going to be redone.  It is ugly code.  I can get rid of the global variable for one.  I also plan on making all the hacks available as a diff file.  But since it take my machine hella long to compile I just haven't had the time.

Not, these changes on my site work mainly for the windows version.  If you understand the code it isn't hard to modify the DOS version either.

This is a version of mame I am definately going to have to try.  Since it does take my machine forever to compile I have been slacking on keeping my stuff up to date and adding in the stuff I want.  I usually start with analog+, add in my hacks, add in cps2 games and a couple of neogeo games and a set of games I am not even going to mention because I will get too much flak for it, and pong.  But, like a true compiler, I test each change before continuing on to the next.  It can take several days to get the mame I want with my slow computer :)  

SirPoonga

• Puck'em Up
  • Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2023, 09:22:35 pm
  • The Bears Still Suck!
« Reply #78 on: September 09, 2003, 09:24:59 pm »
Anything that requires me to change compilers, I'm not going to do. I tried using the Visual C++ compiler, which supposedly gets better speeds, but it didn't like 90% of my code (I've never seen such a large list of errors).

I've used VCMAME.  It's pretty cool.  I used that until VC6 wasn't supported.  I see they started supporting it again.

TheGatesofBill

• Offline Offline
« Reply #79 on: September 09, 2003, 10:26:26 pm »
I compile after each change as well, the difference is I'm using 1.2 GHz machine, so a full compile takes under an hour (never actually timed it). And I do understand the source, I've just been way to busy to move stuff over to the DOS version. It also shouldn't be too hard to get all your stuff going in the MAME32 version. I just need to poke around the source a bit more to see how they did things. And yes, I did use ALL off your code. ;D And I use VC6, and I didn't even realize things were different. :-[ However, I truely hate that compiler so I use GCC whenever possible. Heh, I think I've responded to everything you said, just all out of order. ;)

Oh, and you could tell me the list of the games without any flak. Like most furries, I accept almost anything. ;D