Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: CP mockup is worth the effort if you are designing your own cabinet.  (Read 2269 times)

bperkins01

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 24, 2023, 02:13:35 pm
  • Plenty of skills.. gaining experience..
The plan is so start construction the week of Christmas -
I've been at it a while and have all the bits and pieces - just need to purchase materials to build the cab.. 

My very first iteration was this:

The forum quickly made a number of suggestions to improve upon this cab..
I also finally got to mocking up a control panel and giving it a test drive.. 

I highly recommend this step if you can do it -

Tried 2 layouts from Slagcoin.com- The more comfortable one for me is on the right.
After using this CP - it was just oversized.  I shrunk the dimensions in the drawing below.  It will be pretty easy to make one more test CP in particle board just to be sure..

Setting up the CP and monitor in the same positions as the drawing revealed a few things.
My design had a 23 deg monitor tilt - way too much for me..  I adjusted to 15 deg
The CP was tilted at 7.5 deg - I reduced it to 5 deg..  Hand got tired controlling the trackball.
(Centipede is my game - the trackball is my featured control!)

Height from the floor was fine..
and I adjusted the monitor height from too low to too high - settling in on at 50" to the center of the screen.

Making the CP smaller and messing around with the dimensions helped me to simplify the overall design.

Any more suggestions?

I've allowed 8" total for the Marquee (Includes 3/4" panels top/bottom) - it "looks" big...  but I'll differ to your expertise.

Notes: 
 - The speakers at the top will be boxed in and insulated. 
 - The box at the bottom is for a floor facing 8" Subwoofer
   (I don't expect much in the way of sound - but it may end up with Jukebox software at some point)
 - The blocking has not been drawn in yet..  but I'm sure there will be some here/there.

Let me know what you think.. 
I think I'm 99% there....
Thanks
Bob

My Arcade Cabinet Build and other projects here:
Centipede, Joust, Joust Cocktail, Asteroids, Galaga, Ms. Pacman Cabaret, Defender, Space Invaders Cocktail
https://bperkins.wordpress.com/