Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Project Arcadius - Upright vertical cabinet progress.  (Read 5126 times)

Canuckle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 14, 2010, 06:33:24 pm
Project Arcadius - Upright vertical cabinet progress.
« on: July 14, 2010, 01:35:07 pm »
Hey all.  First post here but a friend of mine (Avrus) has been here for a while.  It was his idea to build a cab together about 3 years ago, I procured the buttons, joys, trackball and control board but didn't geet around to starting construction.  I have recently decided it was about time to get this started so I did two weekends ago.  First weekend was getting the wood and other items purchased, as well as basic assembly.  The weekend after that (last weekend) was trying to finish the build.  

We didn't get quite finished but it is pretty close.  I am going with a vertical 26" LCD in the cab with a basic computer system inside.  I need to have the monitor mount with wall bracket finished this weekend, as well as the control panel (which I am working on at lunch today) layout designed.  I have a slotcutter bit on order but I doubt it will arrive on time for this weekend so I might not be able to get the T-Molding fitted.

All in all it has been about 9 hours of building so far over the course of 2 days.  It's really coming together.

Anyways, it's nice to be around other arcade lovers.  Thanks for having me on these forums!

Some progess pics... (if the attach files thing really works...)

« Last Edit: July 21, 2010, 01:23:43 pm by Canuckle »

Silas (son of Silas)

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 08, 2022, 08:37:03 am
Re: Building a from-scratch arcade cabinet
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2010, 03:28:48 pm »
Welcome, good start!

Funny that your photo's of beer have more views than any of your other photos   :D
" ਜਿਹੜਾ ਲਾਓ ਜਰਦਾ ਉਹ ਸੌ ਸਾਲ ਨੰਈ ਮਰਦਾ " (he who chews tobacco would live to be a hundred )

My Project MAME clone
Who is Silas?

Canuckle

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2010, 03:56:18 pm »
Welcome, good start!

Funny that your photo's of beer have more views than any of your other photos   :D

It is the most important part of any project! 

jholman76

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 05, 2015, 03:40:45 pm
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2010, 04:21:25 pm »
Ohh... I love Kokanee... They dont sell it where I am. I have to drive about 6 hours north in order to get it... but when I do, its like heaven.

highlander4

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 20, 2015, 09:31:34 pm
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2010, 06:49:11 pm »
I know why you didn't get finished. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

You sure you only had a 6 pack. :laugh2:

JustMichael

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 27, 2015, 01:19:40 am
  • Mmmmm!! Cheesecake!!
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2010, 01:32:01 pm »

It looks like Kokanee comes in 8 (eight) packs.  I did notice that one beer is mysteriously missing from that 8 pack though...

Canuckle

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2010, 10:53:40 am »
I know why you didn't get finished. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

We had 32 of them... they were on special.  It was a glorious day for sure.  This past weekend I got 32 Budweiser (free Stampede Cowboy hat included) for the same deal, and we went at er again.  I could see us getting done faster but beer is so good and it was a nice day!

Updated pics coming soon.

Avrus

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 07, 2011, 09:17:25 pm
  • Canada
    • The Avrus Arcade Project 'Conquest'
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2010, 03:47:50 pm »
Helping Canuckle with his project is making me want to build a second cab that's an upright verticle and has some U360 sticks.

Also he's going to have artwork before my 3 year old project has artwork.   :banghead:

Canuckle

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2010, 05:56:59 pm »
I have some more project pictures ready to go from day 3.  Managed to get some control panel work done, as well as the speaker board with grills and fan port grill.  We also are only about 40 mins away from having the 26" LCD mounted.  Things are coming together nicely, although the beer and cigars slowed us down dramatically... maybe I won't buy 32 beer next time...

Canuckle

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2010, 06:00:21 pm »
A couple more shots of the cab...

Avrus

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 07, 2011, 09:17:25 pm
  • Canada
    • The Avrus Arcade Project 'Conquest'
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2010, 11:00:11 pm »
Sorry I'm bringing cigars again and you'll like it! You should change the title to your new cab title and name it [Project name] Upright vertical cabinet.

Firebat138

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 05, 2024, 01:20:35 pm
  • Head Brewer and Arcade Enthusiast
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2010, 09:57:56 am »
Coming along nicely my friend...    Loved building my cab almost as much as playing it.  -)
Click below to see my Metal Gear/Splinter Cell Machine... http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=108360.0

Click below to see my PinCab - PinWARS
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,164660.0.html

Canuckle

• Offline Offline
Re: Project Arcadius - Upright vertical cabinet progress.
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2010, 11:36:54 am »
Well, we have completed a few more items with the cab this past Sunday (we only work Sunday, it's like video game church).  Here are some progress shots if you are interested!  As you can see I got my 1/16 slot cutter bit in the mail, it was lookin good.

Canuckle

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2010, 11:41:56 am »
Well, it has been a while since I last posted but since then I have been finishing up Arcadius and playing it like mad.  I have had tons of people over who are all reliving their old favorites and it has been a blast.  We finished by painting the cab with a spray gun and 2 coats of primer+paint, the result was a very cool slight texture to the cab that really gives it a professional feel.  I got it home that weekend and immediated started working on the computer components. 

I am using a Duo Core 2.6 Intel with an Nvidia 8800 in it so I can play Street Fighter 4 (which is super awesome).  I am trying to set up Pinball fullscreen on my vertical 26" LCD TV but I am having a pain of a time trying to get it set up.  I gotta read the how-to's a little more I guess.

I got the artwork in the week after, along with the Plexi for the control panel.  I used a company here in town for the plexi and because I had my artwork created in A.I., each layer matched perfectly so when it came to putting the artwork on or the plexi, it all matched perfectly.  I was nervous because these two items were being handled away from my grasp in seperate places, but it all came together nicely.  The artwork came on from Gameongrafix.com and it looks spectacular, the print really makes the cab for sure.  I just installed the Marquee last night permanently, I still gotta go inside the cab and hook the light up to some wire and run it to my motherboard(or take the monitor out and do it that way).  I also have a quote for some Graylite #31 and will be ordering that today.  With the Marquee light working and the glass in place (I have temporary plexi there and some paper hiding the background) I think my cab is pretty much done.

If you are looking through these new projects and are on the fence on whether you want to start your own, I say if you have the time and the funds, do it.  The reward is worth it.

Canuckle

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2010, 11:45:12 am »
Some more pictures of the progress.