Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: jikkjack's golden tee unplugged showpiece cab build  (Read 78670 times)

byrneaar

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 13, 2020, 10:50:16 am
Re: jikkjack's golden tee unplugged showpiece cab build
« Reply #80 on: March 23, 2014, 12:12:07 pm »
First I have to say fantastic work!

Did you still have the angles for the furring strips?  I just finished up making my template and want to get it all done by next weekend.

Thanks!

jikkjack

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 06, 2014, 03:02:58 pm
« Reply #81 on: April 07, 2014, 12:39:24 pm »
Thanks byrneaar.  I don't but will soon.  I just picked up a Power Putt 2013 so I am about to build a new Showpiece...

« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 10:14:45 am by jikkjack »
Jason

byrneaar

• Offline Offline
« Reply #82 on: April 14, 2014, 08:49:44 am »
Awesome.  How did you cut that dowel down the middle?

jikkjack

• Offline Offline
« Reply #83 on: April 14, 2014, 03:49:11 pm »
I got a long wooden dowel from home depot that I think is used for a closet.  I then set my fence on the table saw to rip it down the middle.  The key is the dowel is longer than I need so I drew a line on the top of the dowel to show me where the saw needed to reach and then continued about an inch after that.  Once past the line - I just power down the table saw.  After the blade stops moving - i take the dowel over to the chop saw and cut the line and then I have a perfectly matched front and back and didn't loose my hand in the process of ripping the long dowel on the table saw.

Jason

jikkjack

• Offline Offline
« Reply #84 on: April 21, 2014, 11:08:30 am »
Started this weekend cutting out the new sides and swooshes for the Power Putt machine.  I will try to post more details this time around about firing strip angles, dowel cutting/dimensions etc.

Ask away if you want me to photograph or detail anything in particular.  This build will follow much the same build as the Golden Tee but just minor improvements along the way.

Jason

byrneaar

• Offline Offline
« Reply #85 on: April 21, 2014, 09:34:50 pm »
Looking forward to seeing this done as well.  If you have the angles on those furring strips and lengths that would be awesome also the size of the panels attaching to those strips.

Cheers!

jikkjack

• Offline Offline
« Reply #86 on: April 24, 2014, 10:19:25 am »
Thanks byrneaar.  I will put in all of those measurements.

Ok so here is what I will focus on talking about today. 

I have numbered each of the furring strips from 1 - 7 starting at the front of the showpiece and moving down and around.  To visualize the angles I will use the method that you are standing in front of your miter saw with the blade set at 0° and all angle references will show a (R) if you grab the miter and move it to your right or (L) if you grab the miter saw adjuster and move it left.

1.  8 15/16"  on the long side with a 6°(L) angle at the top and 4°(R) angle at furring strip #2
2.  24 1/8" on the long side with a 15.5°(R) angle at furring strip #1 and 15.5° (R) angle at furring strip #3
3.  22 7/16" on the long side with a 15.5°(L) angle at furring strip #2 and 14.5° angle at furring strip #4 (Note: this furring strip spans the bottom with furring strip # 2 and 4 sitting on top of it.  This is the furring strip that I put on first.  It is placed 4 1/2" from the bottom of the showpiece.  I sandwich one 3/4" MDF and one 3/4" PLY wood panels together to form a very solid 1 1/2" base for the casters.  I put 3 lines on the showpiece from the bottom.  The first at 3", the next at 4 1/2" and the final one at 17" all measured from the bottom of the showpiece.  I will detail the base plate and casters later.
4.  11 3/8" on the long side with a 14.5°(L) angle at furring strip #3 and 14.5°(L) angle at furring strip # 5
5.  6 1/2" on the long side with a 14.5°(R) angle at furring strip #4 and 0° angle on the left side looking at the reference image
6.  3 1/2" long with a 0°angle on the left side looking at the reference image and 1°(R) at furring strip # 7
7.  17 9/16" on the long side with a 6°(R) angle at the top and 1°(L) angle at furring strip #6. 

Just reverse each of the angles for the other side or you can do what I did and just cut one and use it as a template and cut an identical furring strip and flip it over to use on the other panel.

A - 3/4"
B - 15/16"
C - 3 1/16" from the front edge following the 4 1/2" line
D - 1" from the deepest part of the curve to the edge of the furring strip as it goes up to meet the 17" line measured parallel to the 17" line
E - 1 1/16" following the 17" line from the edge
F - 3/4"

A and F should meet the front and back edge to create a flat area that will be used for attaching the wooden dowel.  The other areas are not as important but they need to be in the general area of these measurements.  The really important measurements are more the 3", 4.5" and 17" line.  Even the furring strip angles can be manipulated 1- 2°'s as necessary.

Here is the sandwiched 3/4" MDF and 3/4" PLY wood base plate.  This plate is 26" Long and 23" wide.  The casters are all place 1 1/2" from the side which you can see in the reference image above.

The Nighthawk shelf serves as the bottom of the exterior of the case as well as the internal shelf with a decorative 1 1/2" furring strip at the interior edge to ensure the wires flow smoothly over with no snagging.  This shelf is 12" deep and 23" wide.  If you choose not to use the decorative furring strip then you would increase the shelf size by 1 1/2" to 13 1/2"  x 23".

The back bottom panel is 17 3/16" with a 14.5° angle at the bottom and no angle at the top where it hits the Ply wood.  You could add this angle if you want but I didn't.  The goal is to get this thing air tight and I like to use the gap for caulk on the inside to aid my goal of air tightness. 

The real machine uses this panel for speakers but since I am using the TV as my speakers I take the opportunity to use these holes for a filtered air intake.  I got 4 of these RFT-120 120mm Fan Filter covers from Newegg:

I start by measuring 2 3/4" from the top of the panel and marking that as the top line then measure 2" from the left and right side of the panel.  I removed the filter and place the fan filter cover with circular insert on the top and side lines and used a pencil to mark a rough circle in the 2nd circle from the edge.  Pressing on the interior circular part while removing the outer cover allows me to keep it positioned and continue to really mark the circle so I could use a jig saw and cut them out.  I then used a drill to pre-drill all of the screw holes because after I paint this thing I won't be able to see the top and side lines.

The back top panel is 18 2/16" on the long side and 18" on the short side after a 6° angle cut at the top.  The top angle gives a nice flat surface that the CP will sit on top of.

Ripping the 2" dowel on the table saw.  You can see the mark for 24 1/2 " that I rip past.  They sell this dowel at HD in the wood molding area. 

And finally, here is the finished front.  I will put up the measurements later as I forgot my notes from this weekends progress.  You can see the routed slot handle, soft power button and two 120 mm fan cut-outs.  This showpiece, like the last one, pulls air in through filtered fan covers where the speakers normally go and exhausts the warm internal air out the top.  This is a very effective way to keep the computer inside cool and clean.  The nighthawk box has a filtered air intake too and so these things are really hard pressed to get any dust inside the computer.

« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 10:07:35 am by jikkjack »
Jason

jikkjack

• Offline Offline
« Reply #87 on: April 24, 2014, 10:22:24 am »
And that is where I am at right now.  Here is the Power Putt CP placed on the cab for fun.  Tonight I will work on the front and back panels.  More measurements and pics to come.

Jason

byrneaar

• Offline Offline
« Reply #88 on: April 24, 2014, 10:05:06 pm »
This is absolutely fantastic work.  Thank you for documenting the process it is going to make my life 200% easier and I should be able to pump this thing out this weekend.  Can't wait for the rest!  Awesome work!!

jikkjack

• Offline Offline
« Reply #89 on: April 25, 2014, 10:39:28 am »
Thanks man.  You are welcome.  I will keep updating the construction details post with the build details.  Just wanted to mention again that if you are building a Golden Tee make sure you measure the top CP for button placement.  The overlay I got with my GT kit was not the same width as advertised with the pre-built control panel (24.5") like this Power Putt.  I was pissed and had to route the internal sides a little to get the buttons to fit and it was tight.  I would make the playing surface 26" wide instead of 24.5" wide for my Golden Tee and increase all of the internal panels width from 23" to 24.5" wide to give room for the buttons.  Now if you got a pre-finished panel then just flip it over and measure it to find out the width and then subtract 1.5" (the width of the 3/4" MDF for the left and right) to figure out the panel width.  Just trying to save you a headache!

« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 11:11:57 am by jikkjack »
Jason

jikkjack

• Offline Offline
« Reply #90 on: April 28, 2014, 10:08:27 am »
The rain kept me from painting this weekend but that is the only thing left to do.  Prime this new machine and then paint.
Jason

jikkjack

• Offline Offline
« Reply #91 on: May 06, 2014, 02:08:20 pm »
Painted.  Just need to build the stand and Marquee and take some pictures of this with the twin downstairs.

After getting this thing put together - I feel like the buttons and ball are a little close to the front edge...(IT control board - that came fully built out and holes cut).  I think I am going to take the bullnose at the top and remove the spacer and put it at the bottom (below the trackball) to give a little more room.  It plays fine the way it is but feels a little cramped.  You obviously don't ever hit the ball like on the GT but this is something that I am definitely going to modify in the next few days.

« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 02:18:52 pm by jikkjack »
Jason

kbgwd1

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 21, 2014, 07:25:01 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #92 on: September 14, 2014, 09:33:50 pm »
Painted.  Just need to build the stand and Marquee and take some pictures of this with the twin downstairs.

After getting this thing put together - I feel like the buttons and ball are a little close to the front edge...(IT control board - that came fully built out and holes cut).  I think I am going to take the bullnose at the top and remove the spacer and put it at the bottom (below the trackball) to give a little more room.  It plays fine the way it is but feels a little cramped.  You obviously don't ever hit the ball like on the GT but this is something that I am definitely going to modify in the next few days.

Hi!  I have been trying to find ways to reach you, as we'd love to have the plexi glass you designed for Bud's Home Theater Ticket Booth.  Is this something you can do for us?  I can be reached at kbgwd1@gmail.com.  Thank you!

kbgwd1

• Offline Offline
« Reply #93 on: September 14, 2014, 09:36:50 pm »
Hi!  this is for jikkjack.  I have been trying to find ways to reach you, as we'd love to have the plexi glass you designed for Bud's Home Theater Ticket Booth.  Is this something you can do for us?  Can you PM if this is something you can do for us?  Thank you!

kbgwd1

• Offline Offline
« Reply #94 on: September 14, 2014, 11:46:25 pm »
Hi!  this is for jikkjack.  I have been trying to find ways to reach you, as we'd love to have the plexi glass you designed for Bud's Home Theater Ticket Booth.  Is this something you can do for us?  Can you PM if this is something you can do for us?  Thank you!

senoird

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 17, 2017, 06:08:28 pm
« Reply #95 on: September 03, 2016, 06:05:59 pm »
I know this is an old thread but I was wondering if someone could help me on a few things directly involving this build. I have managed to put jikkjack's visio drawings on to vectric aspire and make them into a cnc file for my cnc router. I've got the cabinet cut out and basically assembled except for the control panel top. In trying to find the correct board for the software I keep seeing "to upgrade your gt xx". So my question is what board kit do I need to obtain? Ive built a load of mame machines but they are all roms and can run on emus off RPi's and the like. I'm not familiar with these dedicated board operated machines. Any help would be greatly appreciate. Point me in a direction or a parts website please.

Thanks in advance

redneck1210

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 06, 2021, 04:29:19 pm
« Reply #96 on: February 04, 2017, 09:58:58 pm »
I know this is an old thread but I was wondering if someone could help me on a few things directly involving this build. I have managed to put jikkjack's visio drawings on to vectric aspire and make them into a cnc file for my cnc router. I've got the cabinet cut out and basically assembled except for the control panel top. In trying to find the correct board for the software I keep seeing "to upgrade your gt xx". So my question is what board kit do I need to obtain? Ive built a load of mame machines but they are all roms and can run on emus off RPi's and the like. I'm not familiar with these dedicated board operated machines. Any help would be greatly appreciate. Point me in a direction or a parts website please.

Thanks in advance

Seniord send me a PM.  I am currently making the same plans in VCarve.

penquindeity

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 18, 2017, 12:31:18 pm
« Reply #97 on: July 09, 2017, 08:22:17 pm »
Redneck1210, could you please pm me? I'd like to get a copy of the vcarve file if possible.

Jmark

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 12, 2019, 07:23:12 pm
« Reply #98 on: July 17, 2017, 03:45:05 pm »

Thanks in advance

Hi Senoird... I'm interested in building a cabinet too... would it be possible to get a copy of your CNC files too?  Much appreciated if you can... thanks!!!  I assume you figured out what kit you needed, but let me know if you're still searching.

chito

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 23, 2023, 12:29:26 pm
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,151843.0.html
« Reply #99 on: July 18, 2017, 01:24:14 am »
What a great build! so clean!

smalltownguy

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 13, 2023, 10:48:26 am
« Reply #100 on: May 14, 2018, 03:15:28 pm »
Old thread bump. Is anyone still offering a flat pack option for all the pieces used in this build? I'd like to build something like this.
Man, will my cab EVER be finished?

boomerps2

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 17, 2018, 10:58:33 pm
« Reply #101 on: September 05, 2018, 04:53:45 pm »
Anybody have access to the CNC plans for this build? I see it has been requested multiple times with no response.

onesikcoupe

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 25, 2019, 08:24:33 pm
« Reply #102 on: August 25, 2019, 03:21:16 pm »
JikkJack

Amazing work. Recently finished a FunGlo pedestal project and have always wanted to try a GT build. I know this thread is incredibly old. Hoping there might be some templates you could send as a guide.

TIA

onesikcoupe

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 25, 2019, 08:24:33 pm
« Reply #103 on: August 25, 2019, 03:39:43 pm »

Thanks in advance

Seniord send me a PM.  I am currently making the same plans in VCarve.

Redneck1210

I would also be interested in the vCarve files as I really am looking forward to this build.

TIA

rfinch5

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 03, 2020, 01:29:28 pm
« Reply #104 on: July 15, 2020, 02:21:23 pm »
Can I get a vCarve file or pay for flat pack if anyone is doing that.  I need 2 or 3 of them.  Xmas is around the corner  :-)

LOOKS AMAZING!!

Thanks in advance!

rfinch5@gmail.com

uptown47

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 25, 2022, 05:46:44 pm
  • Just takin' life one game of Frogger at a time...
« Reply #105 on: July 16, 2020, 05:51:58 am »
That build is superb!! Really compact and neat but love the flourishes on each side.

Is that Golden Tee running on MAME or is it an independant piece of software? I've only ever heard of Golden Tee on MAME but then you mentioned installing new courses and updates etc?

Thanks, really great thread. :-)

Zeosstud

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 22, 2024, 04:16:28 pm
« Reply #106 on: July 18, 2020, 06:59:50 am »
He is using the real games from IT not mame..  Really top notch work done on this.. It is to bad that vcarve files never made it around to others. 

-Zeosstud

uptown47

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 25, 2022, 05:46:44 pm
  • Just takin' life one game of Frogger at a time...
« Reply #107 on: July 18, 2020, 07:09:15 am »
He is using the real games from IT not mame..  Really top notch work done on this.. It is to bad that vcarve files never made it around to others. 

-Zeosstud

Thanks for the info matey. :-)

fireslayer26

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 14, 2022, 09:21:08 am
« Reply #108 on: August 18, 2021, 05:34:28 pm »
Thanks for the inspiration! Just got to attach the TV stand next.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2021, 05:38:25 pm by fireslayer26 »