Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Transformarcade  (Read 6489 times)

warjunkie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 01, 2013, 02:07:23 am
    • The Kingdom of Loathing
Transformarcade
« on: July 08, 2009, 12:24:27 am »
Okay so this is going to be the thread for my first arcade cabinet.

I have been thinking about making something like this for years, and last week, did a google search about it. suffice to say I have idea's and know what I am going to do.

It will be called Transformarcade, using a autobots vs decepticons theme from Transformers.

This is a quick sketch of the cabinet I have in mind.

Features I want:
- 2 player, joystick and 6 buttons.
- under cp drawer housing 2 hand controllers for players 3 and 4. This will allow extra players to jump in without requiring a really wide cabinet.
- 2 lightguns, which may be holstered on the side, or housed in the drawer.
- kick plate will drop down revealing at least one pedal for time crisis.
- brushed aluminium autobot/decepticon symbol on the side, to have a neon glow from behind it.

To run it, I have an old HP Pentium III pavillion pc that I no longer use.
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/prodinfoCategory?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&lang=en&product=61063#

I have to go to my mother's house and pick it up, I intend to wipe it back to new, and install MAME and a few other emulators on it. Hopefully it will run well without having to upgrade it.

My favorite arcade game have always been lightgun shooters. As such I think I may have to go with a television and also install a PS2 inside the cabinet. This seems to be a simple solution as I can just change between channels easily. I would appreciate thoughts on this.

I don't know how big to make the cabinet until I know what size monitor I will be using. If I play TIme crisis 2 on it, It will probably have to be a decent size to make up for the split screen aspect. Also a large size will allow the machine to act as a sort of media centre as well.

Namco

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 23, 2024, 10:42:30 pm
  • Now addicted to Williams pins... all of them.
    • Freddo Mame Project
Re: Transformarcade
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2009, 11:16:18 am »
Sounds good, but I can't see the sketch. Did you take the image down?

Hornpipe2

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 07, 2014, 02:09:52 pm
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2009, 12:17:31 pm »
A machine of that speed may struggle with certain MAME games.  My P3 550mhz running dmamepp .106 (FreeDOS 1.0) does ~30-40fps on 1980s classics (Galaga etc), a little better on 1990-1995 modern shooters, and much worse on 1997+ games.  Your results may vary.

Couldn't hurt to try though and certainly you can swap out a PC for a new one when you've got it available.  The price can't be beat anyway : )  Good luck with your project!

warjunkie

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2009, 08:52:28 pm »
I haven't taken the sketch down, but here is a direct link http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f204/Warjunkie_/transformarcade.jpg

i found this site for using guncon2 on a pc. So I may not have to worry about a dual setup (which is good because I would prefer to not have to switch between programs). However, thinking about it, I may need to either get a better pc in the future or use my playstation. If I go the playstation route, I may look at options for having all the shooting games on there at the same time. I guess I will have to see.

drventure

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 23, 2024, 06:53:06 pm
  • Laser Death Ray Bargain Bin! Make me an offer!
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2009, 10:16:13 pm »
Oh damn, I thought your cab was going to transform  ;)

I can see it now,

MECHA-PAC- MAN!!!!

BASS!

• Just have fun.
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 10, 2013, 03:12:33 am
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2009, 03:33:07 am »
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akNJ6S2UqsE[/youtube]

Maybe it could do this

Pinball Wizard

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 04, 2021, 03:47:13 pm
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2009, 07:21:19 am »
Oh damn, I thought your cab was going to transform  ;)

I can see it now,

MECHA-PAC- MAN!!!!
I was expecting something like the  Rototron project. Still, the project can live up to the name if the ambiance is brought to a high enough level.
Where's my gold star :P

Yvan256

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 20, 2017, 08:35:41 am
    • Yvan256
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2009, 12:02:01 pm »
I was also expecting something similar to FlatCade (name pending).

Please note this is one of the earliest revision (version 2 or 3), I'm now at revision 8. Gotta love Sketchup!

jimto

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 06, 2019, 03:20:14 pm
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2009, 10:05:04 am »
I was also expecting something similar to FlatCade (name pending).

Please note this is one of the earliest revision (version 2 or 3), I'm now at revision 8. Gotta love Sketchup!

The only thing harder than building that cabinet would be beating Rygar. I picked up a Rygar cab a few weeks back for $125 and it has reminded me how much I suck at it.

Yvan256

• Offline Offline
    • Yvan256
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2009, 10:18:52 am »
The only thing harder than building that cabinet would be beating Rygar. I picked up a Rygar cab a few weeks back for $125 and it has reminded me how much I suck at it.

I guess it depends on the person. For me, beating Rygar is easy, building such a folding cab is going to be a major challenge.

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:46:15 pm
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2009, 10:28:48 am »
That folding cab looks really nice but how would you connect the monitor and marquee light to the computer and stuff in the bottom half?  You need to run some wires somewhere! 

Yvan256

• Offline Offline
    • Yvan256
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2009, 10:37:03 am »
That folding cab looks really nice but how would you connect the monitor and marquee light to the computer and stuff in the bottom half?  You need to run some wires somewhere! 

You are assuming that the computer is in the bottom half. It isn't. The Mini-ITX form-factor allows you to put a computer into a very small area.  ;D

The only wire that will need to connect between the top and bottom is the PS/2 wire from the I-PAC. I'm thinking about building a home-made magnetic connector similar to the power cable on Apple's laptops.

drventure

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2009, 10:41:10 am »
Just add some arms and legs, plus a head with glowing eyes and, by george, you'll +have+ something  ;D

Yvan256

• Offline Offline
    • Yvan256
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2009, 11:05:15 am »
Just add some arms and legs, plus a head with glowing eyes and, by george, you'll +have+ something  ;D

You're kidding, right?

... right?

(Optimus Prime model made by Davie in Google Sketchup)
« Last Edit: July 10, 2009, 11:06:57 am by Yvan256 »

warjunkie

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2009, 07:41:48 pm »
heh, i wish i had the ability to create a magnificent transforming arcade machine.

My mate manged to score a pentium 4 pc for me that his work place is getting rid of. I'll go check it out tomorrow night.

edit/ okay, i was looking for australian sites to purchase parts from and found these. http://www.in2amusements.com.au/shop/index.php/2/179_Arcade_Buttons_-_Translucent_Illuminated.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2009, 10:59:16 pm by warjunkie »

drventure

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2009, 08:52:20 pm »
@yvan256
That is HILARIOUS! Didn't think anyone would actually take me up on that.

I'll have to get the plans from you for my next build  ;)

Yvan256

• Offline Offline
    • Yvan256
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2009, 11:52:44 am »
@yvan256
That is HILARIOUS! Didn't think anyone would actually take me up on that.

I'll have to get the plans from you for my next build  ;)

That's quite easy to do. All you need is a regular cab and then you add some arms and legs, plus a head with glowing eyes.   ;)

SithMaster

• Lets see how happy you are when you need to use a lawn mower and it keeps turning off when you want to cut up zombies.
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 12, 2014, 03:52:59 pm
  • The brightest light casts the darkest shadow.
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2009, 12:42:12 pm »
The bezel needs to have a truck grill on it.
Back in MY day we lived on the moon and we had to build a rocket ship from scratch to get to the Earth before we suffocated.

Necroticart

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 05, 2023, 10:42:36 am
  • Welcome to my nightmare

CheffoJeffo

• Cheffo's right! ---saint
  • Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 08, 2024, 03:49:06 pm
  • Worthless button pusher!
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2009, 01:02:01 pm »
You may want to search for "Optimus Prime Experiment" ... IIRC, AD had some interesting ideas and folks assembled some cool artwork that may be of use to you.
Working: Not Enough
Projects: Too Many
Progress: None

Namco

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 23, 2024, 10:42:30 pm
  • Now addicted to Williams pins... all of them.
    • Freddo Mame Project
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2009, 02:22:36 pm »
Maybe you can find Peter Cullen and pay him to do some voices for your cabinet. You can record him saying "Insert Coin!", or "Please Select an Emulator!". Go to a DOS prompt and type in "C:\Mame\mame -listfull > prn", mail the 131 pages that come out of your printer along with a high capacity voice recorder to him and ask him to read them aloud into the voice recorder. Cut it into individual voice samples and put them into the front end, bob's your uncle.

That'd be awesome!

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 02, 2024, 07:42:30 pm
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2009, 02:39:12 pm »
I love the Optimus Prime idea!  If you can pull this off, it's going to be AWESOME!

Are you going to go for that shiny painted car surface as well? It would be awesome to get that nice finish, though probably a lot of work to do so.

csa3d

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 07, 2011, 08:16:35 am
  • Will game for food
    • Galaxian Mame Conversion
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2009, 10:39:01 pm »
All I'm sayin' is be careful on the player 2 joystick placement!   :laugh2:
-csa

warjunkie

• Offline Offline
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2009, 11:49:07 pm »
okay i have decided to go with 2 ultimarc u360's using it's 8 button input.

I am not going to go with the oversize cp. I am going to just aim at building a simple 2 man arcade to begin with and modify from there.
I like glowing button effect that is in the neon mame. but am having a hard time locating the wico leafswitches, in both blue and red.

question: what effect does plexiglass have on lightguns? And what does the "smoked" or "bronze" tint offer over plain plexi?
Does anyone know if it is possible to make the ball top of the U360 joystick glow?

Gamester

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 01, 2019, 03:00:10 pm
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2009, 12:07:14 am »
Warjunkie, not sure if you're set on using true leaf switches, or if you know the difference, but if you want glowing buttons, these are a good choice too...  I don't think they were available back when Neon Mame was created: 

http://groovygamegear.com/webstore/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=73&products_id=281
Current Project:                                                       First Project:

warjunkie

• Offline Offline
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2009, 11:12:14 pm »
Wow thanks for the link gamester, I hadn't actually checked out groovygamegear yet, (don't know why, their site is GREAT)

Those buttons are perfect and the micro-leaf switches they have sound pretty good, does anyone know how well they work and last?

warjunkie

• Offline Offline
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2009, 02:35:09 am »
Okay, so i purchased a television, this is the closest one i could find.
http://www.in.lge.com/Product/Products-Details.aspx?cat=215&pid=4880&subcat=Ultra%20Slim%20TV&parent=Television

It's pretty wide, (that doesn't bother me) and after seeing various pics of the showcase type cabinets, I find myself torn between the two.

Been pretty busy with family in town for my mother's 50th but hopefully I can pick up the pc sometime in the next couple days.

I notice that most people go with the 6 button layout, but i notice a few people who have done 7 and 8 button layouts as well. Can someone tell me if there are a lot of games that need these extre buttons?

These are the decisions I need to make.

4player cp or 2 player cp /w controllers (hand-eld) you can pull out?
trackball?
spinner?

Im gonna take the measurements of the television tonight and start designing options. I might draw up a showcase and regular upright. To see what it might look like
« Last Edit: July 24, 2009, 01:45:47 am by warjunkie »

Yvan256

• Offline Offline
    • Yvan256
« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2009, 09:49:22 am »
I notice that most people go with the 6 button layout, but i notice a few people who have done 7 and 8 button layouts as well. Can someone tell me if there are a lot of games that need these extre buttons?

4player cp or 2 player cp /w controllers you can pull out? trackball? spinner?

Im gonna take the measurements of the television tonight and start designing options. I might draw up a showcase and regular upright. To see what it might look like.

6 vs 7 vs 8 buttons layout:
  • the 6 buttons layout is usually to be able to play Street Fighter and similar fighting games, where you need 6 buttons in a 3x2 pattern.
  • the 7 buttons layout is a mix of the buttons of Neo-Geo and Street Fighter. The rightmost bottom 3 buttons are shared as the lower 3 buttons of Street Fighter and the B,C and D buttons of Neo-Geo.
    Here's a picture of the control panel of my first cabinet:

• the 8 buttons layout... I'm not sure where that one comes from, to be honest! But lots of people seem to be using it, so there has to be a reason for it.

If you're going for an arcade cabinet, controllers (you mean hand-held gamepads?) aren't supposed to be a valid option IMHO. Consoles games are meant to be played sitting in a sofa in the living room. ;)

You only need to decide if you're going to play mostly 1/2 players games or 1/2/3/4 players games. The same goes for the trackball and spinner. Do you want to play on a busy control panel? Sometimes more is less.

But anyway, to decide what you need on your control panel, you need to make a list of the games you'd like to play on your cabinet. From that list, you will see if it's worth it to have 4 joysticks, a trackball, a spinner or even steering wheels. If you have a list of, say, 200 games, and only 3 or 4 games use a spinner, is it worth it to you?

As for designing options, I recommend that you give Google Sketchup a try. It's available for Windows and Mac OS X, it's easy to use and it's free!

Gatsu

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 04, 2017, 08:23:43 am
  • I'm not prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2009, 02:35:13 pm »
I believe one of the tekken cabinets had PS2 plugs so you could bring your own controller in to play at the cab instead of using the joystick and buttons on the CP.

So it can be a valid option IMO.  ;D

trendyscotsman12

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 02, 2011, 05:11:57 pm
« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2009, 05:30:40 pm »
that folding arcade machine is so cool.

get building that lol

soz had to add this to the thread

Beretta

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 20, 2021, 02:11:30 pm
« Reply #30 on: August 27, 2009, 10:48:02 pm »

You are assuming that the computer is in the bottom half. It isn't. The Mini-ITX form-factor allows you to put a computer into a very small area.  ;D

The only wire that will need to connect between the top and bottom is the PS/2 wire from the I-PAC. I'm thinking about building a home-made magnetic connector similar to the power cable on Apple's laptops.

remember you still need to have a cable for power, if you put the computer in the top half just remember you'll have to deal with a power cord up there.. rather that be rounted some how to the bottom half and then out to the outlet or if you have it plug directly into the top half.
Anyone got change for a dollar?
PLEASE HELP NEED Fastmame .70 and .9* releases

WhereEaglesDare

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 24, 2014, 08:47:08 pm
  • Shut Off All The Compactors on the Detention Level
    • My HomePage
« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2010, 07:12:22 pm »
BUMP.  Any progress on this at all?  Or did it die away?

Yvan256

• Offline Offline
    • Yvan256
« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2010, 09:26:30 pm »
BUMP.  Any progress on this at all?  Or did it die away?

Do you mean warjunkie's project, or my folding design headache-inducing concept?