Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Need settings for setting up Star Wars Analog Controls  (Read 8077 times)

secret80sman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 14, 2013, 07:04:31 pm
    • The Ultimate 80's Tribute Band
Need settings for setting up Star Wars Analog Controls
« on: July 07, 2010, 05:26:40 am »
Hey Everyone,
I was wondering if anyone was using a B8 Flight Stick or other flight stick and had tweaked the analog control settings in MAME to get a "decent" performance out of it. I know it ain't gonna be a Yoke by any stretch but I am using the B8 which I understand is pretty much the ultimate flight stick and things are pretty jumpy with it. I have tried windows calibration but I can't say it is behaving anywhere close to creating a satisfactory gaming experience.  :banghead:

Would a joystick map be something I would even want to look at? Suggestions please, I have searched and searched and didn't find anything about this, I'm sure there are plenty of others out there with flight sticks who don't have a yoke and could benefit from some insight.

Help!

Havok

• Keeper of the __Blue_Stars___
  • Trade Count: (+17)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 22, 2023, 09:14:44 pm
  • Insufficient facts always invite danger.
Re: Need settings for setting up Star Wars Analog Controls
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2010, 10:25:31 am »
I use the following settings, and it seems to work well for me:

AD Stick Y Key/Joy Speed (50)
AD Stick Y Reverse (Off)
AD Stick Y Sensitivity (80%)
AD Stick X Key/Joy Speed (50)
AD Stick X Reverse (Off)
AD Stick X Sensitivity (80%)

Deadzone .02 (in mame.ini)

I have a Ram Controls yoke and their USB interface, but I would think those settings should give you a good starting point and you can tweak the sensitivity to your liking...

ids

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 16, 2023, 05:43:28 pm
  • Fighter Captured
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2011, 12:47:14 pm »
I'm hoping the previous post solves my problems, I'll try it asap.  I am getting really erratic movement in Star Wars, and seeing a strong penchant for centering.  I'm hoping the deadzone setting can at least solve the latter issue.

Using the multimeter, I see a clear linear progression from ~0k to ~5k on both pots.

Using the windoze (Win7 64b) joystick config thing, it shows the same.  Running the calibration and enable "show raw data" i see a clear linear range on both axes. (I cancel the calibration, as I understand it should not be used w/ the Ram Controls yoke and USB controller)

In the game, however, a range of movement near centre leads to no activity, until finally it jumps, at which point movement is often erratic, sometimes skipping around.  I know the game needs to calibrate, so I always start with giving it the full range of movement several times - doesn't help.

Anyway, I'll try tweaking settings.  In the interim, if there is any other advice, options, tips, etc, it would all be appreciated.  Fwiw, using fairly recent mame version, but forget exact ver# atm

Thanks

Havok

• Keeper of the __Blue_Stars___
  • Trade Count: (+17)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 22, 2023, 09:14:44 pm
  • Insufficient facts always invite danger.
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2011, 01:03:07 pm »
It won't hurt to calibrate in Windows. Keep in mind each time you fire up Star Wars, it needs to calibrate in game. Just start a game and steer the yoke in a few large circles. After that, it should work well.

** Edit **

Whoops - totally glossed over the part where you said you knew about the in game calibration.

So yes, the deadzone setting is what is causing your problem. I had the same issue until I started to tweak that one...
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 01:04:42 pm by Havok »

ids

• Offline Offline
  • Fighter Captured
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2011, 02:59:19 pm »
Thank you very much - can wait to get home and try.  I've jury rigged a funny looking setup so I can play...until a more permanent solution is built.  Love this game, praying to all known gods, dead or alive, that the deadzone setting fixes it.  Doing the deathstar level with the "big deadzone" is quite a challenge.

ids

• Offline Offline
  • Fighter Captured
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2011, 09:43:30 pm »
deadzone setting was a big help, but i still find erratic movement in the four corners...in a wide range in each of the four corners.  Here I am, off googling how to tie a noose :'(

Xiaou2

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 12, 2023, 05:41:19 pm
  • NOM NOM NOM
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2011, 10:49:38 pm »
So yes, the deadzone setting is what is causing your problem. I had the same issue until I started to tweak that one...

Well, one has to wonder if this is Mame input design fault.

The arcade machines deadzone settings are probably internally handled, and so the game is expecting the full range of values, to produce the proper results.

If the values fall short, it might cause internal calibration issues... which may cause the jumping of the cursor.

Couple that with any hardware translation from 5k to 100k.. and that might also be making issues.

Some ideas that might help:

1) A means to be able to turn deadzone off completely is probably in order

2) Maybe a system which can give true 5k readings that are unaltered... but this would have to be both handled by mame, as well as by some of the hardware Mfgs boards.  (probably not working for any normal windows games/calibrations)

3) A means to select which type of pot then would be needed: 5k, 100k

4) A possible optional hack to the mame driver which changes the values to scale properly so that it does not de-calibrate the game consistently.

5) possible options for Arcade -vs- PC joystick.  Meaning, some PC analog pots just may not have enough values being used, because an arcade controller often uses gears for higher resolution / more values.

New input options / ideas:

Pot = 100k / 5k
Controller (pot) Type = Arcade / PC
Deadzone = Y / N
Deadzone Values ( )
Analog Scale? (value,value)
Interpreter?  Y / N   (specialty encoder)
Interpreter type = converted values / no conversion

Edit:

Another option might be to add gears into the mix:

Gear A = 30  teeth
Gear B = 10  (or  "none"  for both.. for pc based controls that have no gears )

That might clear up a lot of problems with scaling PC vs Arcade controllers... as well
as provide accurate preserved data on what the controllers actually used.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 11:09:45 pm by Xiaou2 »

ids

• Offline Offline
  • Fighter Captured
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2011, 09:29:01 pm »
Well, here's where I stand; again, any help greatly appreciated...

Win7 64bit

mame106 32bit: yoke works fine (default deadzone, even)
mame141 64bit: yoke/star wars is unplayable; deadzone edit helps, but still unplayable

So...I could hack the hyperspin autohotkey script to launch different Mame versions depending on ROM selected, but really...

So, perhaps changes in Mame between these versions has broken something.  Or the 32/64bit thing is an issue?  Anyone with a SW yoke using Win7-64b/Mame141-64b?  If so, I'd love to see the mame.ini.  Or am I using a known busted version of Mame?

Thanks

(edit - typos)
« Last Edit: February 02, 2011, 02:25:09 pm by ids »

Bender

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 28, 2016, 08:12:21 pm
    • Happ to Tron Conversion tutorial
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2011, 01:26:24 pm »
seems to work on my XP x64 mame .129

mikeporter2000

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2018, 03:55:46 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2018, 03:53:25 pm »
Any luck on solving this?