Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Another Corner MAME (just plans)  (Read 8393 times)

yo1dog

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 10, 2023, 10:48:49 am
    • MikeArcade
Another Corner MAME (just plans)
« on: June 30, 2010, 12:27:14 pm »
I tend to get bored in class which, of course, leads to the creation of various arcade and MAME related content. Here is my latest; another cab built to fit snugly in a corner. However, it will also work great against the wall. It houses a 27" CRT but you can fit a smaller one in there. The back features two sets of doors to allow you to take out the monitor as needed and to access to the PC and such at the bottom. The front angled piece could also lift up to allow easier access the the bottom of the control panel.

The the front of the cab angles 45 degrees inward bellow the monitor. This allows more room on the control panel. On this angled piece there are also two lights to illuminate the control panel. I would make these green light-activated plexi with some green LEDs behind them. I am not sure if this is the best way though. Ideas?

Because of the 45 degree angles. the angled piece above the monitor going to the marquee is quite large. I have found that you can fit a standard 17" LCD screen there. I am not sure what the purpose of said LCD would be but I put it there just to show that it could be done. Maybe if it was a touchscreen? That would be cool. Could control all the menus from there without having to exit the game or use awkward arcade controls.

The cab and control panel can be made significantly wider without making the cab much longer by increasing the lengths of the side angles. The width of the cab = sqrt(2*L^2) when L is the length of the angle size. As you can see, while the "box" size of the cab will take up much more space, the "triangle" size does not. So having it in the corner really does save a bunch of space.

I would be faltered if someone actually built this. I would but I have no money. Man I really wish I could.

Obviously there are quite a few angles on this thing. I have some image steps and calculations for cutting the angle pieces including the main side, angled side, and front angled piece. Originally I was going to have the back top angled downward too but the angles just got too complicated. Easy to model, not so easy to cut.

In the SketchUp model if you use the interact tool (Tools > Interact (very bottom)) you can click on the back doors, front panel, and coin doors to open them. Clicking on the monitor will move it out of the cab.

In the side layout file, you can unhide the dimensions layer to see the measurements of everything.

Here are some images, a SketchUp model, layout files, and a 3Ds Max file.
Control Panel Layout (10.8 KB)
Front Panel Layout (6.95 KB)
Side Layout (8.67 KB)
SketchUp Model (4.41 MB)
3Ds Max 2011 Model (3.30 MB)

Front

Front with no lights

Top view

Top view with no lights

Against the wall instead of in the corner

Back with doors open

Control panel

Comparison for corner and against wall

Please someone build this so I can live my dream through you! Ha jk. Tell me what you think.

Thanks,
 - Mike
« Last Edit: June 30, 2010, 12:49:03 pm by yo1dog »

Pinball Wizard

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 04, 2021, 03:47:13 pm
Re: Another Corner MAME (just plans)
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2010, 12:36:32 pm »
I like the cabinet design. It has a small footprint compared to most but still gets a lot captured. The 17" display could display instruction cards for the game or maybe stream high scores from it or the likes. The way of illuminating the control panel is also a cool idea that I like. If I wasn't so far behind in my build I might attempt this.
Where's my gold star :P

apfelanni

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 18, 2019, 01:55:28 pm
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2010, 03:01:37 pm »
for a corner arcade i would consider using the namco ( klipschstyle ) design . its nice monitor shell without wasting space .

HaRuMaN

• Supreme Solder King
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+45)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 22, 2024, 02:54:32 pm
  • boom
    • Arcade Madness
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2010, 03:04:42 pm »
I like the Capcom Mini-Cute

apfelanni

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 18, 2019, 01:55:28 pm
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2010, 03:15:20 pm »
namco consolette , minicute and namco 19 are perfect for people without the space for a fullsize , for example in an arcade attic.  i wouldnt build a corner cab with a screen bigger than 23/25 inch at most. better stay 20/21 . a 2 m tall monster arcade resting in a corner doesnt make much sense.

haruman : i would like 2 have a cute added 2 my gaming room . a buddy of mine is selling one of his 2 cutes. but sadly im a little low on cash at the moment. but why not rebuild something like that of plywood ?!
« Last Edit: June 30, 2010, 03:20:29 pm by apfelanni »

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 02, 2024, 07:42:30 pm
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2010, 03:21:25 pm »
haruman : i would like 2 have a cute added 2 my gaming room . a buddy of mine is selling one of his 2 cutes. but sadly im a little low on cash at the moment. but why not rebuild something like that of plywood ?!
Do you really save time writing 2, instead of to?  Just wondering, is all...

emphatic

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 06:29:05 pm
  • -"Suck it, Donny!" -"No, YOU suck it.... more".
    • Emphatic's Video Game Collection
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2010, 04:05:51 pm »
Other than that the player 1 joystick looks really uncomfortable with that sharp edge right next to it it looks really cool.  8)

Usul

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 12, 2020, 03:44:22 am
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2010, 05:01:29 pm »
Hi Mike,

very cool design I have to say. I really like it. But you still got to build the original corner arcade. When classes allow, get a well paid job and spend all your money on your project. It is a wise investment in your future, believe me  >:D

In general I admire your design skills. Always very pleasing products you create. Next time you get bored in class, you got to model my new home theater.

yo1dog

• Offline Offline
    • MikeArcade
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2010, 09:29:43 pm »
Other than that the player 1 joystick looks really uncomfortable with that sharp edge right next to it it looks really cool.  8)

Eh, I don't think it will be too bad. The close up view makes it look a lot closer to the edge than it really is. Either way you could also just take off or move that forth button. Or you could just scrunch everything together a bit more.

Thanks for the feedback B)

Joezero

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 06, 2018, 12:13:49 pm
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2010, 12:10:21 am »

Eh, I don't think it will be too bad. The close up view makes it look a lot closer to the edge than it really is. Either way you could also just take off or move that forth button. Or you could just scrunch everything together a bit more.

Thanks for the feedback B)

I'm digging the design, but agree with the above comment.  Also, that hexagonal bottom is just begging to rotate around and reveal something cool ;)

kronic24601

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 24, 2014, 03:08:54 pm
  • Evil Arcade Monkey Strikes Again!
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2010, 12:35:48 am »

Actually the way I play is with a fairly extended arm (I'm 6'3" so I have gangly arms)... So I would completely agree that this is a little too tight.

To resolve, I'd loose the 4th button on each and move the sticks in. (or squeeze it in infringing on the trackball space.)

Also, you could always just add 3 buttons under and have a 6 button setup?

yo1dog

• Offline Offline
    • MikeArcade
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2010, 12:40:26 am »

Actually the way I play is with a fairly extended arm (I'm 6'3" so I have gangly arms)... So I would completely agree that this is a little too tight.

To resolve, I'd loose the 4th button on each and move the sticks in. (or squeeze it in infringing on the trackball space.)

Also, you could always just add 3 buttons under and have a 6 button setup?

Exactly what I was thinking. Although, sense I never really planed for this to get past the.. err plans.. I didn't put too much time into designing the control panel. I have noticed that most everyone has a differentiating preference on the layout of their control panels, so if obviously if anyone builds this they should make the controls as they see fit.