Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Punisher Cabinet... THE RESURRECTION!  (Read 21444 times)

reptileink

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 28, 2023, 11:30:55 am
  • An 8 bit hero
Punisher Cabinet... THE RESURRECTION!
« on: June 23, 2010, 10:46:04 am »
100% going with a Punisher theme now versus Venom, so I figured I'd start a fresh thread.

Here is the cabinet when I got it

the most damage:

I have since stripped out the T-molding and pretty much everything screwed and bolted down(no pics, sorry) including the control panel.

Planned for it:
Specs:
Gen 1 Xbox filled with Emulators
Components from X-Arcade
Cyber Acoustics 2.1 speakers and sub
Phillips 20" TV
False coin door from Twisted Quarter
« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 12:51:48 pm by reptileink »

~Building Arcade Cabinets are like raising children, you always mess up your first~

reptileink

• Offline Offline
  • An 8 bit hero
Re: Punisher themed upright
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2010, 10:46:43 am »
My speakers came in yesterday. Hooked them up to the Xbox, and they sound AWESOME! Can't wait to get this project rolling. So far I have all the hardware needed, now just have to start the woodworking.

Speakers I got "free" with comp points at work
Grabbed some Cyber Acoustics 2.1 speakers and sub for it too.

They have a great remote on/off/volume disc that I will mount somewhere near/under the CP. It also has inputs on it for headphones, and IPOD hookup so I can use it for music at my cookout too!  :applaud:

~Building Arcade Cabinets are like raising children, you always mess up your first~

reptileink

• Offline Offline
  • An 8 bit hero
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2010, 10:48:03 am »
Mocked up this quick bezel at work. I don't have the right programs here to mirror the top right bullet holes, or to seperate out a couple to put as strays. I might add the Punisher logo on the bottom right, not sure yet. Don't mind the bottom, I am still working out button layouts.

reptileink

• Offline Offline
  • An 8 bit hero
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2010, 10:49:06 am »
Actually got to work on this thing a bit yesterday. Got the TV temporarily mounted with a nice "shelf" underneath to hold it in there, and a couple of well placed screws to keep it from falling back. I will secure it better after getting everything painted. I am really dreading filling the bottom gaffs though, as I have never worked with wood filler before  :dunno

I am taking next Friday off to solely work on this, and that has got me excited!

reptileink

• Offline Offline
  • An 8 bit hero
Re: Punisher themed upright... "final" bezel added 6/26
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2010, 02:34:09 pm »
FIRST OFF, HUUUUUGE THANKS TO HAMA33 FOR PROVIDING ME WITH HIS TEMPLATE!!!  :notworthy:

I think this is final. Just need to figure out the game buttons on the right

What do you think??
« Last Edit: June 26, 2010, 02:57:00 pm by reptileink »

emphatic

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:28:32 pm
  • -"Suck it, Donny!" -"No, YOU suck it.... more".
    • Emphatic's Video Game Collection
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2010, 05:46:16 pm »
That punisher portrait at the top looks like it's stretched out horizontally.

Franco B

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 09:14:06 am
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2010, 05:56:53 pm »
I hope you are going to get rid of those fugly Happ Universals.

The CP needs some work too, you can't keep the buttons that far below the joystick. If you drew a horizontal line to the right from the joystick it should meet somewhere betweeen the top and bottom row of the player action buttons.

reptileink

• Offline Offline
  • An 8 bit hero
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2010, 06:23:32 pm »
I hope you are going to get rid of those fugly Happ Universals.

The CP needs some work too, you can't keep the buttons that far below the joystick. If you drew a horizontal line to the right from the joystick it should meet somewhere betweeen the top and bottom row of the player action buttons.

Those are already in the trash....lol. I have new components from X-Arcade going in them...

However, I am re-using the same CP, just adding two more holes to each side. I will not be relocating them, as they are actually quite comfortable to play where they are, and I am not going to make a whole new CP. Just don't have the tools/time.

reptileink

• Offline Offline
  • An 8 bit hero
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2010, 01:27:53 pm »
Sorry for lack of pictures, but I didn't think anyone wanted to see lumped on wood filler and new casters I installed yesterday.

Man, that Elemer's wood filler works like putty. I was kneading it in my hands and basically applied it with my fingers. Went out this morning, and everything is pretty much solid! The two corners where it was piled on were still a tad soft, but I won't be sanding till Friday anyway.

Dropped the CP off at my father-in-laws to get the underside routed out. Whomever had this previously routed out about a 1/4 inch where they mounted the joystick and buttons so they could add 1/3 plexi on top. Problem is, the old sticks were routed out round underneath where the new sticks are square. He's a woodworker, so he said it would be no problem to do for me  :applaud:

reptileink

• Offline Offline
  • An 8 bit hero
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2010, 04:03:49 pm »
Spent about 4+ hours on this today. Got it painted(I think 3 coats is enough), got the TV mounted, and got the speakers hooked up. Sadly, I took a horrible video it playing my ipod, so I have no pictures of the speaker set up. I'll get some still pics next time. Also cleaned out all the insides and installed the coin door.

It's amazing how easy you think something will be and it turns out the total opposite...lol.
It's also amazing how horrible my wood filling skills are. Due to that, I will be buying some "L" channel to square off all around the bottom and under the control panel. I will also be adding a diamond plate kick plate in front. Also note that the panel in these pictures has not been painted, it has since been and drilled with 4 more button holes. I have also added button holes on the sides for pinball action. Also, still need to add the white t-molding.

Anyway, onto the pictures:

Note the horrible wavy bottom?? LOL

The back came out a little crappy, but who cares, it's the back!

Now the fun begins. I need to wire up all the buttons and joystick after a couple days of letting the paint cure. I may have to sand and give one more coat, although I'd hate to. The gloss really brings out some imperfections. However, I kind of like it a little roughed up, makes it more "original" to an arcade....lol. I'm not going for perfect, just something that looks cool, and works!

reptileink

• Offline Offline
  • An 8 bit hero
Re: Punisher themed upright... update 7/2
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2010, 09:44:56 am »
Ok, did a bit more work today:

What every arcade MUST have(in my opinion):

:cheers:

Of course, one for each side. Best $14 I've spent on this thing yet! :)

Also made a little box for the sub so it doesn't slide all over the place or fall over:

TV setup

As Papa Smurf says: Not far now. Next up will be a shelf for the Xbox and setting up the control panel.

reptileink

• Offline Offline
  • An 8 bit hero
Re: Punisher themed upright... update 7/6
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2010, 12:39:41 pm »
Hey guys, I know I am not re-inventing the wheel with this build, but this is my first one. I came here because I saw a lot of support here, and now I have posted 3 updates without even so much as a good job, or looks good.  :dunno

Even if you hate it, I would love to hear some constructive criticism or even, I don't like it....lol

Just saying....

jholman76

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 05, 2015, 03:40:45 pm
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2010, 01:21:46 pm »
The black is a far better look than the lime-green it was at the beginning!

I'm sure once you get some more progress, the comments will start flowing. Also, ask questions if you have them and people will answer them.

On your bezel, you have the control instructions for the emulators... did you make those in Photoshop or Illustrator or were they some template? I'm looking for something like that for cards I can print for my cab.

joe

reptileink

• Offline Offline
  • An 8 bit hero
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2010, 02:40:47 pm »
The black is a far better look than the lime-green it was at the beginning!

I'm sure once you get some more progress, the comments will start flowing. Also, ask questions if you have them and people will answer them.

On your bezel, you have the control instructions for the emulators... did you make those in Photoshop or Illustrator or were they some template? I'm looking for something like that for cards I can print for my cab.

joe

Thanks man. Actually HAMA33 made the original in Powerpoint of all programs.....lol. I just modified it for my machine...

reptileink

• Offline Offline
  • An 8 bit hero
Re: Punisher themed upright... update 7/8
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2010, 12:38:15 pm »
Just sent the bezel to be printed at Staples. Hope it's right, or that will be a $30 mess up....*gulp*

I had to scale it down because otherwise it was $60 for a sheet that was WAY over sized.

Not to bad, the white will be cut out, and the black on the right  will be cut out.  A piece of black matte will close up the surrounding space around the print out, and the whole thing will be behind plexi.

reptileink

• Offline Offline
  • An 8 bit hero
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2010, 05:29:08 pm »
I'd do something a little more permanent on that subwoofer, it looks like it's going to fall out of your box the second you tilt that cabinet back.  Why not mount your angle brackets directly into it?   With a couple of discrete holes, I doubt you'd ever notice them if you repurpose the subwoofer some day.

Very interested in seeing how that bezel looks installed in your cabinet.

Yea, you are right about the box. But I spent like 45 minutes putting it together and sawing by hand....lol(miter box). I will probably add it to the "use for another project box" and directly mount the sub. I was afraid to drill into the speaker box as my luck, I would hit something crucial.....
« Last Edit: July 10, 2010, 10:13:47 am by reptileink »

reptileink

• Offline Offline
  • An 8 bit hero
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2010, 10:12:56 am »
Got in my corner protectors last night, installed three of them..lol. I also got in my diamond plate kick plate, and they sent the wrong size!!  :angry:  I ordered 6 x 24, and they sent 6 x 24 1/4....

reptileink

• Offline Offline
  • An 8 bit hero
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2010, 09:14:19 am »
Thanks to my brain, and the talents of a friend of mine, I got the marquee done:

Super psyched!

Also got 95% of the white t-molding done, just need to glue down in a couple areas. Picking up the lexan this week(hopefully). Biggest job left is the control panel.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2010, 09:25:29 am by reptileink »

sstralkowski

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 09, 2012, 03:14:38 pm
  • Rock Out with Macaque Out!
Re: Punisher themed upright... marquee finished 7/12
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2010, 10:55:55 am »
Loving the marquee and besel. 

reptileink

• Offline Offline
  • An 8 bit hero
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2010, 11:06:33 am »
Don't do two punishers on the marquee, or at least use two different poses.

Doesn't he play with Nick Fury or something?  Then it'd match up with the Capcom game.

He does, but this is a punisher cabinet, not a punisher/nick fury cabinet....lol. I like the two punishers. I am going with different artists renditions of him throughout the cab. The sides will have the new skull logo's from the Tom Jane/Ray Stevenson movies.

sstralkowski

• Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2010, 01:12:09 pm »
He does, but this is a punisher cabinet, not a punisher/nick fury cabinet....lol. I like the two punishers. I am going with different artists renditions of him throughout the cab. The sides will have the new skull logo's from the Tom Jane/Ray Stevenson movies.

Yeah, I'm liking the symmetry of the two Franks.  As for the different artists, just steer clear of John Romita Jr.  His work is so awfully generic and boxy.  Better than I could ever do, but definitely not my cup of tea. 

reptileink

• Offline Offline
  • An 8 bit hero
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2010, 01:15:27 pm »
No Jon Romita. Just what you see on the bezel and Marquee, plus the two skulls on the sides:

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:51:43 pm
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2010, 08:14:25 pm »
I'd do something a little more permanent on that subwoofer, it looks like it's going to fall out of your box the second you tilt that cabinet back.  Why not mount your angle brackets directly into it?   With a couple of discrete holes, I doubt you'd ever notice them if you repurpose the subwoofer some day.

I agree with PBJ in that 2 punishers is a bit much, but I think your current marquee works. I think a lot of people like the symmetry. Heres a quick edit to demonstrate how an unbalanced marquee can look good.

versapak

• Somewhere between a block of wood and a monkey
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 16, 2020, 02:42:43 pm
  • I am t3h GAY!!!
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2010, 11:04:53 pm »
I agree that I like the unbalanced look better, though I do not actually like design behind the Punisher logo and title in leapinlew's sample.

It looks great in the little thumbnail, as it looks like rising smoke, but the full size reveals it to be a somewhat out of place looking segmented circle design.

Anyway...

Like pinballjim, I do think that you want to avoid having too many Punishers all within that same area. You don't want to look like a kid just went wild with a stamper. :)

I love The Punisher as a theme, and all in all it is looking darn good.

reptileink

• Offline Offline
  • An 8 bit hero
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2010, 11:25:25 am »
I took everyone's opinions, considered them, and then threw them out the window  :laugh2:

I just kept going back to the original, and really really liked it. Since it's my arcade cab, I decided to shoot it off to the printers....no turning back now....lol.

I think it will look fine.   :cheers:

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2010, 11:53:51 am »
Just sent the bezel to be printed at Staples. Hope it's right, or that will be a $30 mess up....*gulp*

I had to scale it down because otherwise it was $60 for a sheet that was WAY over sized.

Not to bad, the white will be cut out, and the black on the right  will be cut out.  A piece of black matte will close up the surrounding space around the print out, and the whole thing will be behind plexi.

Is this bezel what you sent to the printers? You should have put some graphics in the white part and the black unused part to use elsewhere. I try to take full advantage of the printer when I send my graphics in for printing since your paying for the entire area.

reptileink

• Offline Offline
  • An 8 bit hero
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2010, 01:08:55 pm »
I hear ya, but I didn't need any other artwork anywhere  :censored:

Oh well.....live and learn

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2010, 02:57:34 pm »
I hear ya, but I didn't need any other artwork anywhere  :censored:

Oh well.....live and learn

No? Maybe not on this cab, but what about the next cab, fridge, etc .

Looking good, keep up the good work.

versapak

• Somewhere between a block of wood and a monkey
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 16, 2020, 02:42:43 pm
  • I am t3h GAY!!!
« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2010, 03:05:29 pm »
I took everyone's opinions, considered them, and then threw them out the window  :laugh2:

I just kept going back to the original, and really really liked it. Since it's my arcade cab, I decided to shoot it off to the printers....no turning back now....lol.

I think it will look fine.   :cheers:

That's all that matters really. :)

Unless of course you produce a monstrosity. Then you will need a healthy layer of thick skin around here as well.

I don't think you don't need to worry about that with your cab though. ;D

reptileink

• Offline Offline
  • An 8 bit hero
« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2010, 09:16:09 am »
ARGGGHHH!

This is why I hate relying on people to do crap for me, and where I get mad at myself for not having the skills to do it myself.

Dropped my control panel plexi off last Saturday to be shaped and drilled out. I call the guy Wednesday, and he goes "oh yea, glad you called, can you come tomorrow afternoon?" I said no, that I would be able to stop by this morning(Friday). He goes, "oh good, it will be done by then."

Sooooooooo, I head over there this morning on my way to work to pick up the pieces. At first glance everything looks great. I pay, and walk out to my truck and really inspect it. They drilled holes that I didn't want drilled!!!!!!

I had gone over it extensively with the chick who originally took them in, and then again with the OWNER himself over the phone. It's not a HUGE deal, basically 4 random screw sized holes. They just basically laid my control panel over the new one and just copied it.

THEN, I start looking closer, and all the edges are kind of rough, with still curly Qs of plastic left all where they drilled. Like they didn't even sand it down or anything. So now all the edges around the panel are rough, which means more sanding from me, which will give it a frosted look :(

The only saving grace is I might just paint the whole underside anyway, but now I have these random screw sized holes.

I must be a sucker,  because I don't plan on saying anything, and that's something I always do, just take things because it's a bigger hassle arguing about it  :angry:. I really can't wait another week for them to make another one seeing as my cookout is coming up, and I need to finish the panel.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2010, 09:18:28 am by reptileink »

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2010, 09:30:56 am »
ARGGGHHH!

This is why I hate relying on people to do crap for me, and where I get mad at myself for not having the skills to do it myself.

Dropped my control panel plexi off last Saturday to be shaped and drilled out. I call the guy Wednesday, and he goes "oh yea, glad you called, can you come tomorrow afternoon?" I said no, that I would be able to stop by this morning(Friday). He goes, "oh good, it will be done by then."

Sooooooooo, I head over there this morning on my way to work to pick up the pieces. At first glance everything looks great. I pay, and walk out to my truck and really inspect it. They drilled holes that I didn't want drilled!!!!!!

I had gone over it extensively with the chick who originally took them in, and then again with the OWNER himself over the phone. It's not a HUGE deal, basically 4 random screw sized holes. They just basically laid my control panel over the new one and just copied it.

THEN, I start looking closer, and all the edges are kind of rough, with still curly Qs of plastic left all where they drilled. Like they didn't even sand it down or anything. So now all the edges around the panel are rough, which means more sanding from me, which will give it a frosted look :(

The only saving grace is I might just paint the whole underside anyway, but now I have these random screw sized holes.

I must be a sucker,  because I don't plan on saying anything, and that's something I always do, just take things because it's a bigger hassle arguing about it  :angry:. I really can't wait another week for them to make another one seeing as my cookout is coming up, and I need to finish the panel.

Sorry to hear it dude.... Any chance you can print up some bullet holes to cover up the holes on the plexi?

reptileink

• Offline Offline
  • An 8 bit hero
« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2010, 09:44:22 am »
Not a bad idea actually, but I think I have something in mind......turn a negative into a positive I always say!

ARGGGHHH!

Sorry to hear it dude.... Any chance you can print up some bullet holes to cover up the holes on the plexi?

jholman76

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 05, 2015, 03:40:45 pm
« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2010, 11:20:56 am »
Or do like homer and just say they are "speed holes"....

joe

reptileink

• Offline Offline
  • An 8 bit hero
Re: Punisher themed upright... marquee finished 7/17
« Reply #33 on: July 17, 2010, 09:33:47 am »
Got the marquee mounted behind plexi last night, sorry for the crappy cell phone pic, didn't have time to take a "real" one...lol

Sadly, the new bezel art isn't going to work out. Turns out, I can't cut a straight line for sh it! Even with a straight edge and exacto...lol. The sizing was wrong to begin with, I think Staples effed up. Anyway, I cut out the "system button guide" and that will now go under the plexi above the actual buttons, and it looks pretty cool there. I will work on something new, but I can do that later.

I also installed my "L" trim on the bottom edges and the bottom edge of the control panel(more pics later)

I am going on vacation till Tuesday night, so no working on it till then. Saturday is my deadline.

reptileink

• Offline Offline
  • An 8 bit hero
Re: Punisher themed upright... marquee mounted 7/17
« Reply #34 on: July 17, 2010, 09:46:24 pm »
Marquee looks great.

I think it's a blessing you've moved those 'system guide' instructions to the control panel.  That stuff was clunking up your bezel.

:cheers:

I agree, and the way they would have been mounted would have been WAY at the bottom of the bezel. This way, they are right next to the buttons...lol. I will re-do them later, but my main focus is getting this thing operational for my cookout  :cheers:

mgb

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 21, 2024, 06:18:13 pm
  • North East, US
« Reply #35 on: July 19, 2010, 06:09:14 pm »
The cab is looking good. The Punisher theme is a good one

dawolv

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 25, 2016, 08:23:21 am
« Reply #36 on: July 19, 2010, 11:18:48 pm »
Lookin sweet - love the marquee and the white T-Mold.

NeoFlynn

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 17, 2011, 02:03:31 am
  • New Vegas Here I Come...
    • Neoflynn's Randomness, Rants and Reviews
« Reply #37 on: July 20, 2010, 07:02:40 pm »
Punisher Theme is a great looks like you have done an awesome job on the cab cant wait to see what the finished project looks like

sstralkowski

• Offline Offline
« Reply #38 on: July 21, 2010, 08:38:59 am »
Looking good, bro.  Keep it coming!

reptileink

• Offline Offline
  • An 8 bit hero
« Reply #39 on: July 22, 2010, 04:58:07 pm »
Major setback last night, the control panel does not work right  :angry:

I gutted my X-arcade to fit the existing control panel, and now the controls only work for the Xbox, no emulators  :banghead: I traced my steps, and there is NO reason why they shouldn't work. I extended some wires for buttons to fit the larger footprint of the existing panel, but I see no problems there. Like I said, the control panel works fine when playing Xbox games, but not working for emulators......   ??? ??? ???

So now I either figure it out, or I have no arcade cabinet for my cookout  :cry:

Luckily, X-arcade has a test program online that I will try tonight.  :dunno

Otherwise I am in crap's creek  :cry: