Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: The Vixen - Cocktail Table  (Read 10045 times)

Trap

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 07, 2015, 12:22:32 pm
The Vixen - Cocktail Table
« on: June 17, 2010, 12:23:01 pm »
I started my first build a little over 5 yrs ago.  After many modifications it ended up looking like this:

Sorry for the crappy cell phone pics.

When I first built it, it was a mess.  I really didnt know what I was doing.  Exposed screw heads everywhere,  20in tv for the monitor, full-sized keyboard flushed into the cp...but it was really fun to both build and play.  In the end I really just wasnt happy with the overall quality of the cabinet.

About a year ago I discovered the awesomeness that is Visual Pinball.  Then a few months later, I started falling in love with peoples pinball table builds.  I really wanted one but the price tag was to hefty for me.   After some thought, a cocktail table seemed like the best of both worlds.  I'd still able to play mame but i could also play FS VP tables.  And then there's the fact that I've always thought cocktail cabinets just look nice.

I'm still no master carpenter, but I'm really happy with how my build has come along.

For the top, I just modified the Ms. Pacman shape so that my monitor would fit.  I printed it off at full size and taped it down with clear packing tape then cut it out.

Then I built the main box.  Just glue, clamps and screws here.  I realize that my T-molding slots should have been cut at this point but I was waiting on my slot cutter to arrive.

I got a pocket hole jig to hide all my screws this time.

Casters:

Getting good

The back.  The hole in the upper left is for some usb ports.

Monitor mount.  The monitor just lays in here with some L brackets to hold it in position.

ohhhh purdy

CPs going on.  The bottom of the CPs are removable if I need to replace button, fix wiring, etc.

USB ports:

Top on, t-molding on, glass in place.   Just some wiring and finish work at this point.  I'm using U360's, an IPAC and a TurboTwist 2 spinner.

And here we are today.

The underlay is just temporary.  Its just printed on some flimsy paper.  I ordered a underlay from game on graphics on monday and it shipped yesterday so it should be here soon enough. Here's what it looks like:

And here's my mala layouts.

So far, most everything has worked out great.  The main thing I've screwed up on is the spinner is too close to the joystick.  I'm not sure where else it can go though.  I'm considering swapping the joystick and the spinner, putting the joystick on the outside and spinner where the joystick is now.  Not sure if this will be good or not but its easy enough to do and try it out.  I also forgot fans to vent the cabinet.  Thats an easy fix though.

I'm using irotate to rotate the screen if need be via ipac macros for the hot keys which works great in mame but it messes up the graphics in VP.  It would have been nice to be able to play 2 player pinball from either end of the table but isn't a big deal.

I'm using a smart strip to power the lights and speaker amp on when i turn the computer on.  They all turn on at the same time but when I power down, the lights and amp stay on for a long time after (an hour or so).  Is this normal?  I've adjusted the sensitivity almost to the point where the aux outlets wont come on when the computer turns on.

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 10:28:40 am
Re: The Vixen - Cocktail Table
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2010, 02:23:54 pm »
Really nice.  I like your design - subtle differences from the standard midway cocktail and I think your changes are for the better!   :cheers:

Gorotsuki

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 05, 2011, 10:51:25 pm
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2010, 05:48:13 pm »
Vixen, great name!
Looks pretty good.
I'm really digging the Mala artwork you made.
I kinda' wish there was more of that on the cabinet,
just because it looks so cool.

Benevolance

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 10, 2019, 03:13:59 pm
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2010, 06:55:47 pm »
That looks really classy. I like it.

drventure

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 25, 2023, 02:23:57 pm
  • Laser Death Ray Bargain Bin! Make me an offer!
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2010, 07:22:38 pm »
Niiiiiceeee!

:applaud: :applaud: :applaud:

Fantastic Job!

Tiouko

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 14, 2023, 11:19:10 pm
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2010, 09:59:00 pm »
Great Job :applaud:  How tall is it? I know that it's not the std size.

Trap

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2010, 10:41:53 pm »
Thanks for all the compliments.  It's 29" tall.  I did try and swap the joystick and the spinner and that dosent work because the joystick base runs into the pinball buttons on the side.  Back to the drawing board i guess.

piecesof8

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 11, 2014, 08:50:24 pm
  • The party boat is here.
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2010, 08:22:22 am »
Very nice!  :applaud:

Benevolance

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 10, 2019, 03:13:59 pm
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2010, 12:28:46 pm »
The spinner and joystick don't look that close together. Does it actually interfere with joystick controls? If it really bothers you, a simple crazy idea fix might be to swap the P1 and P2 start buttons, and make the non-spinner CP the dominant P1 side. I mean, in my experience, most often it'll be one person sitting down to play at a time. Then for games that use the spinner, map the controls in mame to the P2 spinner side?

Trap

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2010, 07:37:59 pm »
It's just close enough that my hand bumps into it whenever I move the stick left.  It's just annoying more then anything.  

Do other peoples smart strips stay on as long as mine dose (an hr or more sometimes) after shutting down the computer? Is that just how they work?  

Im using this one http://www.smarthomeusa.com/ShopByManufacturer/Bits-Ltd./Item/SCG3/.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2010, 07:56:00 pm by Trap »

Bender

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 28, 2016, 08:12:21 pm
    • Happ to Tron Conversion tutorial
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2010, 01:37:09 am »
Do other peoples smart strips stay on as long as mine dose (an hr or more sometimes) after shutting down the computer? Is that just how they work? 

No, it should turn off almost instantly, there is a little pot on there to adjust the amount of current required to shut it off, I remember having to mess with it a bit to get everything to shut down right, also the computer may still be sending a small amout of current after it is "Shut down" which may be keeping the thing on

Trap

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2010, 02:31:20 am »
I've unplugged the computer after shutting it down and the the aux outlets still dont turn off right away.  It was about 15mins before I heard it kick off.  I guess I've got a bad one?

« Last Edit: June 20, 2010, 02:42:48 am by Trap »

Trap

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2010, 03:03:17 am »
I got it work right.  I flipped the power switch on the strip then swapped the computer plug  to one of the always on outlets and put the monitor in the control outlet. Works great now - it shuts off the second the monitor goes into standby mode.  I'm guessing I just needed to cycle the switch on the power strip.

Bender

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 28, 2016, 08:12:21 pm
    • Happ to Tron Conversion tutorial
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2010, 03:55:56 am »
Sweet! Glad you got it working

Great project by the way!!!! :cheers:

Trap

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2010, 09:59:29 am »
My underlay from gameongrafix.com came in yesterday.  I'm really happy with their product.

Trap

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2010, 10:40:41 pm »
I've been looking for some more modern games that work well with a vertical monitor and was pleasantly surprised  when I set my display to landscape and ran SF4.

The hud seems to be the only thing I can tell thats really stretched out. I couldn't figure out how to take a snapshot in game while in fullscreen that's why I'm in windowed mode, but it runs great in fullscreen too. Certainly would suck on my cocktail for 2 players but its fun 1 player and on XBL.

Anyways, thought it was cool and wanted to share.

jholman76

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 05, 2015, 03:40:45 pm
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2010, 01:00:01 am »
very nice wood stain. What did you use to finish it off with? did you poly it at all?

joe

Trap

• Offline Offline

IG-88

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 09, 2023, 08:29:46 am
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2010, 02:36:08 pm »
+1 for that spray on poly. I refinished our dining room table and used that. Made a damn nice finish that is tough as nails and waterproof to boot. Won't ever go back to the brush on stuff again. Did an entire 12'x4' table with 3 cans IIRC.

"I know what a HAL 9000 is... I was wondering if HAL 7600 was his retarded cousin or something..."
-HarumaN

mike boss

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 22, 2021, 01:19:45 pm
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2010, 11:12:58 am »
Awesome looking machine !

Trap

• Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2010, 12:21:01 pm »
Here's what drawings i have for the cabinet. I've had a few people ask for them.

I will say that with the size of monitor i used, i wish it was an inch or 2 lower then the 29" i made it to easier see the far end of the screen.

Trap

• Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2014, 11:23:52 pm »
Just an update.  Remounted my monitor recently and wanted to share some pics.  The monitor used to sit 5/8"+ from the glass.  I decased the monitor and routed out the top so it now sits less than 1/4" from the glass. Huge improvement.  The cab has been great over the years and not much else has been done.

I can't keep the kitchen clean, why would you expect it to be clean in here?

ViriiGuy

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 08, 2020, 12:30:46 pm
  • Terminus clone build in progress.
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2014, 05:42:17 am »
Very very nice!!!

JCHusky77

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 16, 2014, 11:16:01 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2014, 03:27:52 pm »
Great job!!

I have a question about these cocktail cabs. Because people are sharing the screen on opposite ends, when you play a real 2P game, how does the screen look? Since you are facing each other and not a traditional way when you both look at same screen?

Trap

• Offline Offline
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2014, 04:35:27 pm »
In MAME it's no problem.  MAME will split the screen in half and duplicates the picture on each end.  Games outside of MAME don't generally work well with 2 players on an end-to-end cocktail cabinet because they lack this functionality.