Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: My 2nd shot at AAE  (Read 14626 times)

taylormadelv

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 18, 2019, 05:46:59 pm
My 2nd shot at AAE
« on: June 13, 2010, 11:47:50 am »
So I had a buddy build a comp exclusively to run AAE. The guy had fits getting a graphics card to work and then when he did get one to work, he moved it to several different boxes with different CPU's with various results. He worked so hard on this that I had to go through with the deal, which was a Tempest cabinet (mamed) for this and 1 other comp.
I have played with some settings and a few games and have seen some interesting results. This is only after playing with it for a hour or so, I will do much more detailed tweaking soon.
Whenever I increase "vector glow" on any game, it slows down alot. I can add phosphor trail without slow downs but not glow.
Not all the artwork works properly for me. For instance, the overlay in Star Castle doesn't line up properly and the entire picture for Armor Attack has been pushed to the bottom on my screen for some reason.
It appears that some games have been worked on more than others. Asteroids Deluxe has the bullets glow without changing any video settings but that same glow is not on the bullets in Space Duel or Space Fury without changing a setting.
As stated somewhere else, Black Widow aspect ratio is WAY off but IMO BW is for a dedicated cabinet anyways, so no biggie there.
I was impressed with how bright the vectors looked, it IS brighter than OS9 Macmame but the games don't all play quite as smoothly as macmame(BW for instance).
AAE or whatever your name is, PLEASE keep working on this! It's pretty close to being a solid emulator for a dedictaed vector cabinet. Glow setting slowdowns and artwork files lining up may be what needs help the most right now but I need to keep working on this. More to come soon...

gaijinking

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 13, 2015, 09:17:57 pm
Re: My 2nd shot at AAE
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2010, 03:27:40 pm »
When my AAE actually ran on my setup (C2D 3.2 ghz w/ ATI 4770) it was buttery smooth without any slowdown, even with artwork turned on. However, now it won't even run! I think it first started having a conflict with my Ipac of all things, and short of trying to randomly uninstall drivers in XP, it just will not load at all anymore. I'm sad to say that as much as I love this emulator, I had to remove it from my Hyperspin wheel until further updates. If the AAE developer is out there, I'm sure there are many people here who would be more than willing to offer donations as a motivation to updating this potentially amazing  emulator...  just a thought.  :soapbox:

I/O

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 06, 2011, 01:33:10 am
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2010, 05:49:17 pm »
Without knowing what hardware and OSes you used, it is hard to say anything. From my experience, AAE requires XP or later, with at least 2.4ghz PC, and video card of at least 800mhz (combined) speed, perhaps more - Nvidia 6800 or later, ATI X800 or later.

I suggest a fresh installation, and then try the files attached, in particular the cfg folder.

gaijinking

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 13, 2015, 09:17:57 pm
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2010, 06:54:22 pm »
I'm running Tiny XP rev10 on a Shuttle SD38P2 with an Intel Core 2 Duo E6700 Conroe 2.66GHz OC'd to a cool & stable 3.2GHz
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?item=N82E16856101025
I first had AAE running on it with an Nvidia EVGA 640-P2-N821-AR GeForce 8800 GTS 640MB, but I had issues running SF4 and getting it to scale properly on a Plasma TV (or even well on an SD tv), so I replaced it with an ATI XFX HD-477A-YDFC Radeon HD 4770 512MB. This card has really impressive performance for an economy card! And AAE worked beautifully on it too, that is, until I setup my control panel with 2 u360s and an Ipac. Then it immediately gave me (The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0150002) error, even though I already know it will run on my card. Now, even if I unplug the control panel, I'm still getting the same error, and I know that the control panel was the only change in hardware that might have affected it. For $hits and giggle, I even swapped out every single usb device to see if I could get it to work again, but nada, even after complete removal and re-installs.
Again, I just hope that one day there is an update that fixes these issues, because this is by far the best vector emulator that I've ever used. The image quality with properly tweaked visual settings on a 720p plasma display is absolutely incredible! Playing tempest or asteroids in MAME just isn't the same. Again, if the developer of AAE is out there reading this, I will gladly put my money where my mouth is and donate some $$ to help further develop this emulator.

« Last Edit: June 13, 2010, 06:58:18 pm by gaijinking »

taylormadelv

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2010, 04:09:23 pm »
P4 2.4 Ghz, 2GB Ram, ATI RAdeon 9550, Windows XP. Runs very smooth. I've done some amazing stuff with this thing! I can crank vectors so bright that I'm getting glow on my CRT monitor without touching the "glow" setting! Things can be really tweaked to look very close to a real vector monitor and beyond. I'm seeing the vectors very bright right through the original Atari tined glass! That super intense brightness of a real vector monitor will never be reproduced but this is probably as good as it will ever get with standard PC computer components today.
I do not know how to add new games to the game list, or if that's even possible. Cosmic Chasm is missing! I want to use a spinner with AAE and I would love to add Cosmic Chasm to the game list somehow. Maybe someone here can help with that?
Another thing that could be addressed is joystick input control and specifically for the Ram Controls Star Wars USB yoke interface. Star Wars looked awesome! It would be real nifty to have that USB interface work instead of a keyboard interface hack to an Ipac.
Please don't let AAE die!
IMO unless the ZVG vectormame board ever gets produced again, this is a good as it will get for a "mutivector" cabinet.

taylormadelv

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2010, 10:10:23 am »
So now I've been able to play with AAE for about a week. This is the ultimate emulator for vector games and would even stand up to a ZVG vectormame in a side by side comparason if you tweak the video settings to get games to look original. I used a Space Duel cabinet for AAE and it had the original Space Duel PCB/monitor in it before the WG6100 was moved into my Gravitar. I have to say that the tweaked AAE version of Space Duel looks as good or better than the original game. Sacrilidge, I know but if you saw this running on a nice bright CRT in person you would be speachless.
The biggest issues are:
1) spotty spinner interface which prevents me from installing a spinner for Tempest/Major Havoc/Tac Scan
2) I have no idea how to add or remove games from the game list, COSMIC CHASM needs to be added!
3) Some games are almost impossible to configure for some reason, for example, Lunar Lander is just impossible for me to get running right.
4) the ubiquitus joystick interface deal, really this is only an issue for running the Ram Controls Star Wars USB interface, Star Wars looks AMAZING!
5) the overlay in Star Castle makes the game unplayable for me

Don't change the video settings at all! The video settings interface allows all the controls you need to make vector games look like the real deal but you need to work at it.
The only advantage ZVG has over AAE is the fact that ZVG uses mame and can be configured with a spinner and games can be added/dropped.
Keep AAE alive!

I/O

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 06, 2011, 01:33:10 am
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2010, 08:26:33 pm »
And AAE worked beautifully on it too, that is, until I setup my control panel with 2 u360s and an Ipac. Then it immediately gave me (The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0150002) error, even though I already know it will run on my card. Now, even if I unplug the control panel, I'm still getting the same error, and I know that the control panel was the only change in hardware that might have affected it. For $hits and giggle, I even swapped out every single usb device to see if I could get it to work again, but nada, even after complete removal and re-installs.

Perhaps ultramap is interfering?

So now I've been able to play with AAE for about a week. This is the ultimate emulator for vector games and would even stand up to a ZVG vectormame in a side by side comparason if you tweak the video settings to get games to look original. I used a Space Duel cabinet for AAE and it had the original Space Duel PCB/monitor in it before the WG6100 was moved into my Gravitar. I have to say that the tweaked AAE version of Space Duel looks as good or better than the original game. Sacrilidge, I know but if you saw this running on a nice bright CRT in person you would be speachless.
The biggest issues are:
1) spotty spinner interface which prevents me from installing a spinner for Tempest/Major Havoc/Tac Scan
2) I have no idea how to add or remove games from the game list, COSMIC CHASM needs to be added!
3) Some games are almost impossible to configure for some reason, for example, Lunar Lander is just impossible for me to get running right.
4) the ubiquitus joystick interface deal, really this is only an issue for running the Ram Controls Star Wars USB interface, Star Wars looks AMAZING!
5) the overlay in Star Castle makes the game unplayable for me

Don't change the video settings at all! The video settings interface allows all the controls you need to make vector games look like the real deal but you need to work at it.
The only advantage ZVG has over AAE is the fact that ZVG uses mame and can be configured with a spinner and games can be added/dropped.
Keep AAE alive!

It is good to get feedback from a vector owner on this.

What changed so that it runs at regular speed?

And to address some of your questions:

- you can not add games to the list

- my spinner works fine in AAE (although I would prefer a higher sensitivity setting)

- joystick support has not been added yet....

taylormadelv

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2010, 09:14:25 am »
Each game seems to run at its' own speed. I never add "glow" but sometimes games are preconfigured with glow and it needs to be turned off. Any art will slow things down and overlays will really slow things down but it's different with each game. I got Armor Attack to play perfect, with the overlay and all, perfect and no slowdown. But Star Castle chokes big time with the overlay, I have to turn it off to play at full speed.
I've played with a few different mice in terms of spinner control and it made me think twice about installing a spinner, for now. The biggest disappointment about this is Major Havoc. MH looks really, really good. Good enough to consider a dedicated spinner but the sensitivity is critical in MH and my other spinners are all being used in other cabs right now. If the sensitivity can be cranked up just a tad in the next revision, and Cosmic Chasm added, I WILL install a spinner.
Another thing to mention is Asteroids (Deluxe). I like that the bullets glow but it would be nice to be able to turn this "down" a bit. When the asteroids blow up the explosions are a bit exaggerated for my taste. The bullet glow in the regular version of Asteroids looks much better to me, almost perfect, just tone down the explosions a tad and do the same with a version of AD and it will be PERFECT. I find myself playing Asteroids because it looks so much better, even though I much prefer to play AD. You can keep all that work you did and just change one version each of Asteroids Deluxe and Asteroids.
If you're doing any real tweaking, if possible, PLEASE stretch the aspect ratio of Black Widow wider, this isn't for me, it's so the hard core vector peeps will consider this as a serious option for vector games. I already have a Black Widow cabinet.
Another thing that peeps should know is that arcade controls can be configured to only 1 key at a time. So an encoder needs true "shift" functions like an ipac to be able to get to config controls without touching the keyboard or assigning a special buttons.
With a bit more tweaking, AAE will be SUPERIOR to ZVG vectormame...
And BTW i use an old ipac2 for controls with no issues.
Long live AAE!

taylormadelv

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2010, 09:19:08 am »
Oh yeah, high scores need to be saved in the next update! ;)

biobern

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 05, 2012, 08:35:54 pm
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2011, 10:06:52 am »
Oh yeah, high scores need to be saved in the next update! ;)

I just experiment with AAE and a mid 90s VGA-CRT monitor from IBM. I opened it and turned the color gain potentiometers up to the max so I have a bit of the illusion of true vector glow. The early to mid 90s CRTs often have much more contrast and "blast power" than newer ones. Nice!

It's really a shame what happens to AAE. Such a great thing and it remains so buggy, maybe forever? Although the source code is released now, nobody seems to do something with it.

The biggest issues for me are the following:
-Highscore save does not work in Asteroids although it works in Asteroids Deluxe and many other games.
-I did not found any way to play Starwars. I can use the keyboard keys but no analog device seems to work. No Mouse/Trakball and no analog joystick. Any solutions?

Any hints or hacks for one of my problems are veeery welcome.

Cheers...
Bern

taylormadelv

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2011, 12:13:15 pm »
AAE seems to only come up in discussion when someone wants to emulate Star Wars...kinda sad... My AAE rig is still in my closet, waiting to become a ZVG one day...maybe.
You can't use joystick controls in AAE. Unless you make the changes in the game code, of couse. Major Havoc actually looks very good but I just couldn't get the mouse sensitivity where I wanted it.  Mouse sensitivity needs to be perfect for me to play MH. Space Fury is awesome but AAE is still buggy and I just couldn't stand the crashes I was getting.

bryan95502

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 18, 2023, 04:39:36 pm
    • Ebay Store
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2011, 12:45:56 pm »
The author of AAE has been on this forum.. he posted the last "beta" of AAE on here and I think it included joystick support and some fixes. The link he provided also included the ummm... not usually included items too. Like it was a FULL folder from his computer..  ;)
Too many projects to list.. =)

Gray_Area

• -Banned-
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 23, 2013, 06:52:30 pm
  • -Banned-
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2011, 08:19:43 pm »
The author of AAE has been on this forum.. he posted the last "beta" of AAE on here and I think it included joystick support and some fixes. The link he provided also included the ummm... not usually included items too. Like it was a FULL folder from his computer..  ;)

Link?
-Banned-

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2024, 05:59:16 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2011, 03:07:07 am »
AAE seems to only come up in discussion when someone wants to emulate Star Wars...kinda sad...

To be fair, AAE doesn't get as much press as other emulators.  I honestly had never tried it until I saw this thread.  I'm very impressed with it! 

Also, to be fair, Star Wars rules because it feels like a complete game, while many other vector games are so primative that it feels like you are playing an upgraded version of pong.  Don't misunderstand, I like vector games a lot, but for every star wars or red baron, there is a boxing bugs.  ;)

But yeah, we need a link to the thread with the latest beta (there are around 40 threads concerning AAE... too many to sift through). 

I am a programmer, so if there are any issues that aren't emulation related (like controls) I might be able to work on them. 

taylormadelv

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2011, 09:35:46 am »
It's great to see some interest! The real big issue with AAE is that it's NOT STABLE. There are always graphics driver conflicts, no matter what I have done, the comp will lock up running AAE within an hour or so. The other thing is that when I boot directly to AAE, there's always a mouse error message pop up screen. The are other issues like joystick support and spinner/mouse sensitivity but the integrity of this application needs attention, I cannot keep it running reliably no matter what I did. So I just mothballed the AAE rig until I can figure out another vector emulation solutionaAE is "fixed".
Ironically, ZVG had a sale on the last 40 zvg cards and I am one of the choosen few to get one soon. I will be using the AAE rig for the ZVG project, as that comp has all the roms ready for vector emulation. I have a sister rig that can be used for AAE in the future when it is stable.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2011, 06:56:37 pm »
It's great to see some interest! The real big issue with AAE is that it's NOT STABLE. There are always graphics driver conflicts, no matter what I have done, the comp will lock up running AAE within an hour or so. The other thing is that when I boot directly to AAE, there's always a mouse error message pop up screen. The are other issues like joystick support and spinner/mouse sensitivity but the integrity of this application needs attention, I cannot keep it running reliably no matter what I did. So I just mothballed the AAE rig until I can figure out another vector emulation solutionaAE is "fixed".
Ironically, ZVG had a sale on the last 40 zvg cards and I am one of the choosen few to get one soon. I will be using the AAE rig for the ZVG project, as that comp has all the roms ready for vector emulation. I have a sister rig that can be used for AAE in the future when it is stable.

That's odd, bercause I haven't had a bit of trouble stability-wise while playing with it.  AAE is hardware dependant and it always will be based on the way it's using the graphics cards, so my guess is you need to upgrade your video card.  I'm using a radeon HD 4600 series and it works just great with it.  With that being said the built in menu is crap and it might be causing some of the stability issues you are talking about as it doesn't properly exit from games.  You have to run it with an external FE.  I'm guessing that's what you mean by "lock up after an hour or so" as vector games are too short to be playing for an hour on end.  ;)

The mouse and joystick stuff is quite fixable... it might be fixable by me. 

Gray_Area

• -Banned-
  • Offline Offline
  • -Banned-
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2011, 08:28:24 pm »
I've never had any of those issues, whether I run it from it's own ui, or from with Mala. The 'over an hour' thing; do you mean any particular game played for an hour, run for an hour, both?
-Banned-

taylormadelv

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2011, 02:18:58 pm »
If it's a game in my arcade, I want it to be able to "run" by itself for as long as I want. I like admiring my cabinets running in attract mode. I run dedicated games, mostly. I would leave AAE running Space Duel for awhile, just leaving it in attract mode and eventually my computer would always freeze, eventually. When I would change graphics drivers, I would go between be able to see overlays in Armor Attack but be unstable or I would change drivers and it was stable. It's been so long now. I may have tried the settings for the overlays to work but was not as stable, I could change it back but I really liked Armor Attack.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2011, 05:40:59 pm »
If it's a game in my arcade, I want it to be able to "run" by itself for as long as I want. I like admiring my cabinets running in attract mode. I run dedicated games, mostly. I would leave AAE running Space Duel for awhile, just leaving it in attract mode and eventually my computer would always freeze, eventually. When I would change graphics drivers, I would go between be able to see overlays in Armor Attack but be unstable or I would change drivers and it was stable. It's been so long now. I may have tried the settings for the overlays to work but was not as stable, I could change it back but I really liked Armor Attack.

What you are describing is a hardware issue.  What kind of video card are you running?

taylormadelv

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2011, 09:22:01 am »
ATI Radeon 9250 or 9200 I think. Probably 9250. I know the card is marginal for AAE but I don't have any additional budget for AAE and I did get this card to work but I just have had a few issues. I think Tim said he was using a real old card also.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2011, 02:37:26 pm »
I think I've got one of those believe it or not.    I'll give it a try when I've got time and see if I run into the issues you are talking about.

bryan95502

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 18, 2023, 04:39:36 pm
    • Ebay Store
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2011, 10:33:16 am »
Link to latest AAE beta

http://cid-783df7749deec980.skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx?page=browse&resid=783DF7749DEEC980!106&type=6&Bsrc=EMSHOO&Bpub=SN.Notifications

Someone should mirror this before it's gone!
Too many projects to list.. =)

taylormadelv

• Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2011, 09:20:43 am »
ATI Radeon 9550....I am having serious issues with the graphics drivers for this card. I can't find a driver that's stable yet. Help!

Gray_Area

• -Banned-
  • Offline Offline
  • -Banned-
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2011, 07:37:02 pm »
Link to latest AAE beta

http://cid-783df7749deec980.skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx?page=browse&resid=783DF7749DEEC980!106&type=6&Bsrc=EMSHOO&Bpub=SN.Notifications

Someone should mirror this before it's gone!

That's the source.
-Banned-

milhouse

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2023, 08:03:32 pm
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2012, 02:24:55 pm »
Sorry to dredge this topic back up, but anyone know if the source available for downloaded can/has been compiled?  The AAE beta 1 works with my machine, but beta 2 doesn't.  I'd love to get this working now that I have a decent video card.

Thanks.

Gray_Area

• -Banned-
  • Offline Offline
  • -Banned-
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2012, 10:32:55 pm »
Yes, it works. Apparently not on your machine. Make sure you have .net installed! I'm not guessing; I asked him and he told me it was needed.
-Banned-

Nightbring3r

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 25, 2023, 04:27:31 pm
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2012, 01:26:13 am »
It's really a shame no one was able to pick up AAE - it really has a nice look to it, but it's frustratingly buggy. Still the best way to play Asteroids and AD on an LCD though (even if it isn't being emulated at the correct speed, technically).

anchounio

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 04:24:10 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2018, 11:38:41 am »
Could anybody upload the last beat of AAE???

Last official version crashes with most joysticks

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 11:39:28 am
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2018, 02:43:52 pm »
Could anybody upload the last beat of AAE???

Last official version crashes with most joysticks
Good news: Saint mirrored the October 3rd, 2010 AAE source code at http://mirrors.arcadecontrols.com/aae/.
Saint,

Thanks for the mirror!

The only thing missing is the allegro 4.310 libs, allegrogl libs, libping and zlib. 
Those are available elsewhere, no worries.

Not-so-good news:  Unless I'm missing something, there's no executable in the linked source code files.   :dunno

You'll have to find the missing libraries and compile the source.

Bad news:  So far, I haven't found a mention of anyone but the author successfully doing that and he admits that, "The code just needs a lot of work to finish it."

Scott

headkaze

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 14, 2023, 02:00:48 am
  • 0x2b|~0x2b?
« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2018, 01:34:52 am »
Bad news:  So far, I haven't found a mention of anyone but the author successfully doing that and he admits that, "The code just needs a lot of work to finish it."

I spent too much time on this :timebomb:

I've added all the libs and headers required to compile. You will need Visual Studio 2008 if you want to compile it yourself although I have included the binaries in the Release folder.

aaedev_noroms.zip

EDIT: Added debug binaries to the Debug folder
EDIT2: Updated to remove ROMs
« Last Edit: July 07, 2018, 03:19:51 pm by headkaze »