Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Bear with me  (Read 15502 times)

SirPoonga

• Puck'em Up
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2023, 09:22:35 pm
  • The Bears Still Suck!
Bear with me
« on: June 10, 2010, 05:22:12 pm »
During the move I could only find an older backup of the web files.  I do have a copy of the latest dat file though so I can compare that with what is currently on the website to update it.  After I do that I will update it to the latest version of mame.  Then I have to integrate it with this forum's login to determine users and admins for the submissions.  Until then the site will be in guest mode.

SirPoonga

• Puck'em Up
  • Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • The Bears Still Suck!
Re: Bear with me
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2010, 03:29:29 pm »
I've run into a problem.  I am trying to get this forum's username from the cookies.  But it looks like I don't have permission to do so.  I might have to create my own login system :(

patrickl

• I cannot know for certain which will be tastiest
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 27, 2021, 09:25:30 am
  • Yo momma llama
    • PocketGalaga
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2010, 04:46:07 pm »
Maybe you could open a page on the BYOAC website and check the logged username from that? Not really a super reliable solution, but perhaps better than nothing?
This signature is intentionally left blank

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2024, 05:59:16 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2010, 01:38:34 am »
I've run into a problem.  I am trying to get this forum's username from the cookies.  But it looks like I don't have permission to do so.  I might have to create my own login system :(

That might have to do with byoac's folder structure.  Each folder on the sever has different permissions (as it should be).  I know I had to have some permissions changed to get the php and java working when we moved the dragon king site over here. 

SirPoonga

• Puck'em Up
  • Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • The Bears Still Suck!
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2010, 02:30:08 am »
Howard, I tried a whole bunch of things.  Emailed saint a couple of ideas.  I think if he could link the forum folder into my folder and give proper permissions it would work.

If not and if I have to make my own login system I might just rewrite the whole web interface now then.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2010, 02:36:25 am »
Yeah if I remember correctly we had to do something similar to get compression working for one of the php scripts.  So I'm thinking that'll work. 

Regardless I don't think it's a big deal.  Of course it's convenient to not have to log in, but byoac forums and controls.dat don't really have any need to be directly linked.  The only reason we did it before was because of the forum if you recall, and now we have this forum. 

headkaze

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 14, 2023, 02:00:48 am
  • 0x2b|~0x2b?
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2010, 01:59:28 pm »
Why not use the SMF login from it's database? I believe the wiki does that.

saint

• turned to the Dark Side
  • Supreme Chancellor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 17, 2024, 07:49:54 am
  • I only work in cyberspace...
    • Build Your Own Arcade Controls
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2010, 10:04:24 pm »
Howard, I tried a whole bunch of things.  Emailed saint a couple of ideas.  I think if he could link the forum folder into my folder and give proper permissions it would work.

If not and if I have to make my own login system I might just rewrite the whole web interface now then.
* saint wakes up and pays attention. Thought you said you found a typo. Still not working?
--- John St.Clair
     Build Your Own Arcade Controls FAQ
     http://www.arcadecontrols.com/
     Project Arcade 2!
     http://www.projectarcade2.com/
     saint@arcadecontrols.com

SirPoonga

• Puck'em Up
  • Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • The Bears Still Suck!
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2010, 02:23:04 pm »
Howard, I tried a whole bunch of things.  Emailed saint a couple of ideas.  I think if he could link the forum folder into my folder and give proper permissions it would work.

* saint wakes up and pays attention. Thought you said you found a typo. Still not working?
Yeah, new problem.  I tried running the function that shows user status in the SSI.php file.  It fails saying it can't find a function.  I didn't have time to track it down.  I suspect it is still a permission issue but I don't know for sure yet.

Fatal error: Call to undefined function db_query() in pathto/SSI.php on line 654

The SSI.php works form here.
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/ssi_examples.php
« Last Edit: July 13, 2010, 02:32:39 pm by SirPoonga »

SirPoonga

• Puck'em Up
  • Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • The Bears Still Suck!
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2010, 11:05:35 am »
Well, part of the problem is I am using SMF 2.0 methods when this board is 1.1.11.

headkaze

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 14, 2023, 02:00:48 am
  • 0x2b|~0x2b?
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2010, 07:24:53 pm »
Well, part of the problem is I am using SMF 2.0 methods when this board is 1.1.11.

2.0 is still in beta though right?

saint

• turned to the Dark Side
  • Supreme Chancellor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 17, 2024, 07:49:54 am
  • I only work in cyberspace...
    • Build Your Own Arcade Controls
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2010, 09:47:07 pm »
Yeah, it's at RC3 but still beta. I'm waiting for them to go official before I upgrade.
--- John St.Clair
     Build Your Own Arcade Controls FAQ
     http://www.arcadecontrols.com/
     Project Arcade 2!
     http://www.projectarcade2.com/
     saint@arcadecontrols.com

SirPoonga

• Puck'em Up
  • Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • The Bears Still Suck!
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2010, 12:48:00 pm »
I think I am just going to make my own login system.  In order to use the forum's login/user saint has to change some settings.  Anyone want to be a moderators that can view submissions and accept them?  You have to be a bit strict.  Submissions MUST HAVE a reference.  Preferably a control panel pic that you can clearly see the labels, the manual, or wiring schematic.  There needs to be some type of documentation backing up what how the controls are labeled.  this makes reviewing the submission easy also.  Look at the resource and verify the controls are correct before accepting the submission.

TAG

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 23, 2014, 05:52:05 pm
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2010, 05:42:59 pm »
Anyone want to be a moderators that can view submissions and accept them?

If no one else is answering the call, I'd be willing to help out however I can, unless some particular knowledge, background, or experience is necessary (other than the obvious love for arcade games, of course).

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

-- Dirk Gently

SirPoonga

• Puck'em Up
  • Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • The Bears Still Suck!
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2010, 12:25:57 pm »
I will make a note of you.  I hope this weekend or next weekend I can get in some time to put in the login system.  It isn't going to be very secure so I will create backups of the database often.  There's plenty of examples on the web so I will probably just copy and paste and modify accordingly.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2010, 01:31:43 am »
Anyone want to be a moderators that can view submissions and accept them?

If no one else is answering the call, I'd be willing to help out however I can, unless some particular knowledge, background, or experience is necessary (other than the obvious love for arcade games, of course).

Particular knowledge isn't necessary, but it is helpful.  It is helpful if you are familiar enough with enough arcade games to have a general "feel" if the game submission is off or not.  It just makes for quicker verifying.  (And by that I mean it's quicker to REJECT an entry, not accept it... we always fully verify each submission)  If not then you need to carefully research each one... still doable, it just takes more time. 

I think anyone can help us, you just have to accept the fact that you are going to have to be the jerk.  A lot of people will submit entries that are hastily put together that don't have proper references and/or use the wrong references and will get mad that you reject their work.  We are after quality NOT quantity. 

Also when in doubt you need to ask us.  It's hard to tell a analog wheel from an optical one unless you are familiar with the hardware ect....

TAG

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 23, 2014, 05:52:05 pm
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2010, 10:41:21 pm »
I've been working on putting together CPWizard layouts for all the games on my cab, so I'm used to looking through a lot of pictures, arcade manuals, flyers, etc. to ensure accuracy.  And I've been called worse than "jerk" in my profession.  So I'm willing to lend a hand, thanks. 
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

-- Dirk Gently

SirPoonga

• Puck'em Up
  • Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • The Bears Still Suck!
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2010, 05:37:21 pm »
Howard is just making sure you understand the role.  We want accuracy above all else.  That requires solid references.  Pics of controls panels, instruction books, operators manuals, etc.  Even a pic may not be accurate, it may not be the original control panel.  but if that is all there is for references sometimes that is what we have to accept.

Things we absolutely do not accept are people claiming a label is something based off memory, someone they know has the machine, etc. 

The big reason we have to have a solid reference is once an entry is put into the system if it isn't accurate it will probably not be noticed.  The only people that would notice something is incorrect is someone who is a big fan of the game.

SirPoonga

• Puck'em Up
  • Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • The Bears Still Suck!
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2010, 05:47:01 pm »
I was emailing with the guy that runs MAWS asking how he keeps that up to date.  I found out he keeps it up to date basically the same way I have been keeping controls.dat up to date.  Which is a pain in the ass.  Once I get the login system finished that will be the next priority - getting the project up to date.

From there we can then look into merging data from the unofficial controls.dat utilities.

I am going to be swamped with work until November (stupid government imposed deadlines).  But then with winter hitting I will have more time to get this going. 

I know this project is taking a long time to get up to date with the move to this site.  Once my work gets certified by the government the government won't be dictating what we need to spend time on and my work schedule will be back to normal.  Thanks for bearing with me.

SirPoonga

• Puck'em Up
  • Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • The Bears Still Suck!
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2010, 11:58:03 am »
I started coding a login system.  I did look for any existing free php code and I couldn't find an all in one solution.  So I am going to take some shortcuts for now.  There will just be a register page, login page, and password change page.  No email confirmation, once you register you are good to go.  I will had a simple captcha to registration though so bots don't register.

SirPoonga

• Puck'em Up
  • Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • The Bears Still Suck!
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2010, 12:04:55 am »
Alright - try the login system.  I found a prebuilt one.  Took a bit to make it work with the site but it has enough security features.  I still have to integrate it better into the site at some point. But for now it will work.  Next weekend I will try to get the database up to mame 0.140.

http://controls.arcadecontrols.com

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2010, 06:16:14 am »
Works for me.  One thing though.... when once the account is activated, even though it says you can log in with your username OR email only the user name worked for me. 

This is better anyway... more secure, but the text box needs changed so it doesn't confuse people.

SirPoonga

• Puck'em Up
  • Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • The Bears Still Suck!
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2010, 01:22:27 pm »
Yeah, I have some tweaking to do.  The original register.php page required ALL of that info (phone, country, real name) so I had to figure out to modify that script.  Though I didn't touch ihe login.php file.  Let me look...
Code: [Select]
if (strpos($user_email,'@') === false) {
    $user_cond = "user_name='$user_email'";
} else {
      $user_cond = "user_email='$user_email'";    
}
See the problem.  ha ha.  it should be fixed now.

Also I noticed I made the main page login required.  Just removed that.  These scripts I downloaded seem to work well.  If it is a page that requires a login I just put a function at the beginning of the page and it will do the login process automatically if needed.  Accept it isn't smart enough to redirect to the page after logging in.  

Howard, I need to make sure I have you setup as an admin now that your user is created.  

At some point I am going to look at the scripts closely and integrate it into the main page.  So if you are not logged in there will be a username and password box in the left menu.  The registration and My Account Pages will get the same look and feel as the rest of the site.  But those are minor issues right now.

I should have the database updated to 0.140 soon.  The update process needs to be changed as I think we will be ready to accept child roms.  One of the reasons we don't accept child roms except for special cases is it makes it MUCH harder to update when a new mame comes out.  Case in point.  Here's the first few lines of mamediff I will be using to update the database..  The first column is the mame 106 romname and the second column is mame 140 romname.  so if both columns are filled it is a changed romname.  If just the first column then it is a deleted rom.  If just the second column then it is a new rom.
Code: [Select]
mame106.xml mame140.xml
1942 1942a
1942a 1942b
1942b 1942
1943 1943u
3wonderu
64streej 64streetj
So what you are seeing here is between 106 and 140 they switch which 1942 rom was the parent.  I update the romnames in the database according to this - so that means the 1942 controls will "move" to the child 1942a.  But then the last thing I do in the update script is any child that has control info, minus special cases, is moved to the parent.

At some point I will have to figure out a good way to update to allow for situations like this.  Then we can support entering in child roms.  I just need to think through it carefully.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 01:29:00 pm by SirPoonga »

SirPoonga

• Puck'em Up
  • Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • The Bears Still Suck!
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2010, 01:42:48 pm »
Also, I did put in two levels of admin.  The super admin which is just me right now - allows me to deal with registered users.  And then a data admin which allows that user to review submitted entries.  This also means entries entered in by admins don't need to be reviewed (we assume an admin is a trusted person and knows how to enter the info).

So once we are updated to 0.140 we will need volunteers for data entry and admins for verifying entries.

Also once updated to 0.140 I will look at some of the unofficial controls.dat and think about integrating some of their data into the project.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2010, 06:32:16 am »
It all sounds good to me, let me know if you need me for anything. 

About child submissions:

I think the best way to do it would be to make a special "child" flag for when we make child-specific submissions.  That way if the child flag is checked (this should probably be done internally) the entry moves around with the renames... if not then the entry is always named after the parent rom.

SirPoonga

• Puck'em Up
  • Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • The Bears Still Suck!
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2010, 10:34:31 am »
Here's what I am thinking.  I have two tables: master and games.  Master is a list of all the roms in the current mame.  Games is all the dat entries.  So what I need to do is update the master table first.  Then only rename the rom names in the games table if it doesn't exist in the master table.  For example, for 1942 the update statement would be
UPDATE games SET romname='1942a' WHERE romname='1942' and romname not in (select romname from master)

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2010, 03:36:29 pm »
Yeah that would work too.  :burgerking:

SirPoonga

• Puck'em Up
  • Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • The Bears Still Suck!
« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2010, 11:38:13 am »
The login cookie doesn't seem to be working well.  I clicked remember me and I ended up being logged out today.  Oh well.  Will look into it later.

SirPoonga

• Puck'em Up
  • Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • The Bears Still Suck!
« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2010, 11:08:22 am »
Howard, let me know if you see the admin menu after you login now.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2010, 03:36:45 pm »
Yeah it's working fine. 

If I might suggest, I think the next thing you need to do is clean up the webpage a bit before we tackle new entries and any alterations to the database.  It'll get pushed to the side once we get going and you'll never get around to it otherwise.

My two suggestions would be to get the cookies to remember and once you log in to have it redirect to controls.dat automatically.  Anything else is unimportant.

SirPoonga

• Puck'em Up
  • Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • The Bears Still Suck!
« Reply #30 on: November 08, 2010, 06:23:43 pm »
The redirect was easy.  The cookies is a bit more tough.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2010, 10:45:38 am »
The cookies seem to be working now!  Not sure what you did.....

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #32 on: November 09, 2010, 10:48:39 am »
Bah!  No we are having a different issue now. 

In the admin section I can do everything, but when I click the "deal with users" it prompts me to login, even though I'm already logged in.  When I log in it redirects me back to the main page and clicking on "deal with users" prompts me to log in yet again.

In other words I keep getting re-directed in an infinate loop.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #33 on: November 09, 2010, 10:54:32 am »
I know we are having issues, but I want to submit an entry just to see how much is working.  

*UPDATE* 

Looks like submissions are working.  Just make a note of the one I added though because I want to put in more verification before we add it to the dat.  (Just did it quickly for a test.)
« Last Edit: November 09, 2010, 11:06:36 am by Howard_Casto »

SirPoonga

• Puck'em Up
  • Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • The Bears Still Suck!
« Reply #34 on: November 09, 2010, 12:36:12 pm »
Yeah, the php should work fine.  All the project used from the forum cookies was the username.  That is now replaced with this new user registration.

I don't understand the timeout thing.  I don't see it as a big issue.  It doesn't prevent us from using the site, just annoying to login every day.  The cookie user name is being set fine.  The timeout doesn't seem to be reading.

SirPoonga

• Puck'em Up
  • Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • The Bears Still Suck!
« Reply #35 on: November 10, 2010, 12:46:23 pm »
I might have fixed the cookie issue.  It remembered me today.  The default for that login script is a 10 day expire.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #36 on: November 10, 2010, 01:49:18 pm »
No you don't.  The cookies only seem to be remembering until you try to do something in the admin menu.  See my post above. 

SirPoonga

• Puck'em Up
  • Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • The Bears Still Suck!
« Reply #37 on: November 10, 2010, 02:04:09 pm »
It doesn't seem like I have the cookie thing figured out.  I have no idea what is going on.

The admin thing is different.  The login admin overwrote my admin.  I need to grab a copy form backup and rename it.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2010, 02:06:16 pm by SirPoonga »

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #38 on: November 20, 2010, 05:06:06 am »
Stupid me, I didn't realize you had worked on this since your last post! 

My admin functions appear to be working now.  The cookies also seem to work, or at least they are working as far as I can tell.  I think you've got it man.  Time to improve things and/or work on entries!