Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Mario Bros. Monitor Problem (Sanyo?)  (Read 2548 times)

Game_N_Watcher

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 08, 2020, 12:44:50 am
Mario Bros. Monitor Problem (Sanyo?)
« on: November 29, 2010, 03:43:53 am »
Hello! I recently purchased a Mario Bros. Nintendo cabinet, which I think was originally a Donkey Kong, and it's in pretty good shape, but I'm planning to fix it up even more. The monitor was working fine for awhile, but now whenever I plug it in, the top portion of the screen scrunches up so it's impossible to see the score info.

See how the top of the screen is partially hidden:

Oddly the picture will fix itself after about 30 to 40 minutes of being plugged in, but this is frustrating and I'm wondering if anyone knows how to fix it.

I've tried the vertical adjustment, etc. which sometimes works after messing with it for several minutes, but sometimes it will scrunch up again after adjusting it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

I wish I could tell you the make and model of the monitor, but I couldn't find any clear info on that. I took these pictures, which make me think it's a Sanyo, but maybe someone with an experienced eye for these things can tell. I really know very little about monitors.

SirPeale

• Green Mountain Man
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 04, 2023, 09:51:57 am
  • Arcade Repair in New England
    • Arcade Game and Other Coin-Op Projects
Re: Mario Bros. Monitor Problem (Sanyo?)
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2010, 07:06:12 am »
Classic EZ capacitor failure symptom.  Replace all electrolytic caps at this time.

Game_N_Watcher

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2010, 05:17:18 pm »
Thanks SirPeale. Does this mean I have to buy a "cap kit" and install it? I found a FAQ on cap kit installation but I'm reluctant to do this unless it's absolutely necessary.

SirPeale

• Green Mountain Man
  • Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2010, 05:21:09 pm »
It's absolutely necessary.

Of course, if you're not feeling up to it, I can do it for you.  $50 for a recap/solder work, not including shipping.  The capacitors used are quality Nichicon brand capacitors, hi-temp variety.

Game_N_Watcher

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2010, 08:35:09 pm »
Can you tell what type of monitor I have from the photos attached, and which cap kit I'd have to buy? If so, how much would it cost and where could I get it? Thanks!

SirPeale

• Green Mountain Man
  • Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2010, 09:07:32 pm »
You have a Sanyo EZ-20.  I've got a kit here for $11.  That includes all caps /except/ the two bipolar ones, and the only reason it doesn't have those is because I messed up when I ordered my caps and got regular ones instead.  Every EZ-20 I've capped has been fine without them, though.