Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Wife- / Living-Room-Friendly Cocktail Cab  (Read 20904 times)

piecesof8

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 11, 2014, 08:50:24 pm
  • The party boat is here.
Wife- / Living-Room-Friendly Cocktail Cab
« on: June 01, 2010, 10:16:15 am »
Disclaimer - Let's just get this out of the way right up front: I'm a cheater. I'm building a cocktail cab from an Arcade Depot kit. You won’t be seeing any amazing feats of woodworking here. But I figure there must be others out there who, like me, don’t have the tools or space to do a complete from-scratch build, so maybe they’ll be able to garner something helpful from my experience. We’ll see.

I decided on a cocktail for a few reasons. First, I have fond memories of cocktails from back in the day when every pizza joint had one so you could enjoy a few rounds of Galaga or Ms Pac while you waited for your order. Second is space: unless we eventually build another room onto our house, this is realistically the only cab I’m going to have room for. A cocktail with a third control panel seemed like the best option to be able to play both vertical and horizontal games. And finally, a cocktail with a nice stained finish just seems more “living room friendly” than an upright cab. My plan was to go for a more modern wood finish than the “80’s oak” of the classic cocktails, with all black controls. Classy.  :)

I received the kit from Arcade Depot on Friday and got a good bit of the assembly done over the holiday weekend. Pics to come later.

piecesof8

• Offline Offline
Re: Wife- / Living-Room-Friendly Cocktail Cab
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2010, 10:52:35 am »
First, a quick review of Arcade Depot.

Scott at Arcade Depot was great to work with. I liked their base cabinet design, but I wanted to make a few customizations. Scott was very willing to accommodate my customizations, and his pricing for the custom cuts was more than reasonable. The quality of the end product that I received is top-notch. There are a couple small iffy places in the finish, but still much better than I could have done by hand. The assembly instructions were a little sketchy in places (I’ll get into more detail once I get to the pics), but anyone who has worked with any type of kit furniture should be able to figure it out without too many headaches.

Overall, I’m very pleased with the product I received from Arcade Depot. There’s only one area that somewhat soured my experience with them, and that is...

Communication. Sorry Scott, but I’ve gotta ding you on this one. I first started working with Scott way back in mid-January. Everything was going along fine, until in early February Scott suddenly stopped replying to my emails.

About two months went by with me sending an occasional “Hello, anyone there?” message. Even tried sending from multiple email accounts. I was convinced that Arcade Depot was no more, until I saw a forum post somewhere that made me think someone had received a recent response from Scott. I tried once more from yet another email address, and finally got a response.

Turns out that Arcade Depot is using some kind of whacky message routing that uses the value of the From: field to route messages, and messages with my name in the From: field were ending up in a black hole, or maybe somewhere in Neverland. I was able to get back in touch with Scott when I used an account with a different From: value. Now normally I would say this was just a fluke and I was the one person with the bad luck to experience it, but if you do a search for Arcade Depot you’ll see that I’m not the only one this has happened to.

Arcade Depot offers no means of contact other than email. If you’re going to run an Internet-only business with email as the sole means for your customers to contact you, then in my opinion that email had better be reliable.

Once I finally got back in touch with him, Scott was extremely responsive right up until the end, when I had some difficulty finding out the shipping status of my order. Apparently Scott had been dealing with a family emergency, which I can hardly blame him for. Once they finally did ship it out, they did so via overnight air (not necessary, but appreciated nonetheless), so I can’t really complain about that.

So to sum it up: I’m very satisfied with the product I received, it’s just that I’ve never had to work quite so hard to give someone my money before. Had this been a more mainstream vendor, I would have run far away after about the second unanswered email. Moral of the story: if you decide to order from Arcade Depot, you’re going to receive a very nice product - just be forewarned that you very well could encounter some communication issues and delays along the way.

Edwards80

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 15, 2011, 08:44:26 am
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2010, 11:44:16 am »
Don't feel bad about not building from scratch. You are 1up on me, as if it was even a contest, as I have had a shell built for me - Just waiting for delivery now :)

I wanted the cab soon and had no inclination to build it myself, despite the extra cost of having it made. Looking forward to wiring the controls etc. up though! I'm going to scratch build my next project but that's a much smaller affair :D

Looking forward to seeing how your build goes.
Hey Dudes thanks, for rescuing me, lets go for a burger.... HA! HA! HA! HA!

BurningBeard

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 06, 2019, 03:17:25 pm
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2010, 01:41:38 pm »
So you gonna find a way to sneak some kinda Clutch theme into it?

:cheers:

piecesof8

• Offline Offline
Progress Pics, or "What I Did Over Memorial Day"
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2010, 02:28:52 pm »
You can tell just from the packing job that the Arcade Depot guys have been at this for a while. I was actually quite surprised at how small the package I received was. Everything was very securely wrapped and well-protected.

First thought: All that came out of there?
Second thought: What have I gotten myself into?

My Pilot, looking a little pissed that I've taken over its spot in the garage to work on this project. Also notice that I really should be mowing the yard instead of building an arcade cabinet.

First step, glue up and screw up the bottom of the third control panel:

The third CP itself is in two parts that attach with dowels and glue. Word to the wise: don't buy those "set of 6 new" ratchet clamps that pop up all over ebay when you search for ratchet clamps. You get what you pay for.

Third CP on:

Via piano hinge:

Third CP side panels. Note that I strayed from Arcade Depot's directions here, as their directions said to glue on the side panels before installing the piano hinge. But then when you got to the step of installing the piano hinge, the directions said to adjust the side panels for proper clearance (which would have already been glued in place at that point had I followed the directions step-by-step).

Gluing the P1/P2 sides (front and back? ends? I'm not sure what to call them in this case) to the bottom panel:

Attaching the rear bottom panel:

Attaching the front panel w/ third CP installed:

Attaching the P2 control panel housing:

Attaching the P1 control panel housing. Notice the growing pile of broken ratchet clamps in the background. These things should have come with a warning sticker: "WARNING: this item is for decorative purposes only. Any attempt to actually tighten the clamp onto wood will result in the cheap plastic housing flying apart and the trigger falling off."

A test fit to see what the finished P1/P2 control panels will look like. I don't want to mount these just yet since I don't have my controls yet.

Installed corner brackets for added support:

Piano hinge for the rear panel:

And now for the biggest pain of the assembly: attaching the hinged portion of the back panel to the piano hinge. It was a ---smurfette--- figuring out how to get it lined up just right. What I did was fed masking tape through the slots in the piano hinge, then closed the hinge and set the panel into place in the closed position, then tightened up the tape. This allowed me to open it with the tape holding it just enough that I could then install the screws.

And finally, a preview of the finished product. The top is just resting in place in these pics - I don't want to actually attach it until I figure out how I'm going to secure the monitor to it. Arcade Depot custom-routed it for my LCD monitor (an HP LP2065), so now I just need to figure out how to hold it in place.

And that's where it stands for now. (Well, actually it stands in the back corner for now - had to get my truck back in the garage before it disowned me, after all.)

syph007

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 24, 2014, 04:30:03 pm
  • With a router big enough, we can shape the world!
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2010, 02:39:18 pm »
That's for sure one of the nicer kits I've seen.  It looks like it's actually make of real wood?  The other kits I've seen are particle board covered in black melamine, and they look terrible IMO.

meany

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 01, 2019, 02:12:23 pm
  • Atomic batteries to power, turbines to speed....
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2010, 02:41:31 pm »
Looks good so far.  Did the kit come with the glass?

piecesof8

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2010, 02:43:17 pm »
So you gonna find a way to sneak some kinda Clutch theme into it?

Ha! Good question, and I haven't figured out the answer yet.

For those who might not have seen BurningBeard's project thread: My original plan was to go with the all stained wood and black controls look. Then somebody brought up the idea of a Clutch theme in BurningBeard's thread and that got me to thinking... I've been a huge Clutch fan for a very long time (going on 20 years at this point :o), and a Clutch-themed cocktail underlay would add a nice personal touch to my project. I've even got a good start on the design concept.

But then I actually received the kit and I'm kinda digging the stained wood top, so I'm waffling back and forth on whether I should cover that up with an underlay... What do you guys think? Artwork or no artwork?

piecesof8

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2010, 02:47:34 pm »
That's for sure one of the nicer kits I've seen.  It looks like it's actually make of real wood?  The other kits I've seen are particle board covered in black melamine, and they look terrible IMO.

Yes, it's birch ply. Arcade Depot definitely seems to offer a one-of-a-kind product (believe me, I looked for alternatives when I couldn't get a response from them).

piecesof8

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2010, 02:49:35 pm »
Looks good so far.  Did the kit come with the glass?

No, the glass is sold separately. Arcade Depot has it, but you can find it elsewhere cheaper (which is what I'm going to do).

Silas (son of Silas)

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 08, 2022, 08:37:03 am
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2010, 05:29:37 pm »
Interesting to see one of these being built. I had considered building from a kit when I first decided to take the plunge, but I couldn't justify the up front spend so opted to build myself gradually over time as funds allowed.

It certainly looks a LOT less effort/time than building from scratch, and you end up with a pretty nice looking cab too. Thanks for posting this  :cheers:
" ਜਿਹੜਾ ਲਾਓ ਜਰਦਾ ਉਹ ਸੌ ਸਾਲ ਨੰਈ ਮਰਦਾ " (he who chews tobacco would live to be a hundred )

My Project MAME clone
Who is Silas?

MameMaster!

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 02, 2020, 11:01:15 pm
  • Engage number one!
    • Mame Invaders!
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2010, 02:02:45 pm »
I used the same kit about 5 years ago. Really nice wood and overall really nice quality.

The one weak link in my opinion is that piano hinge side. Once you secure the top it feel really fragile when you have to open the cab.

But-- despite that, I've never had a problem.

Here's my old project thread--- http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,28555.0.html

Since these old photos were taken I've made a custom control panel for it as well.
Seriously. Will it fit in my basement or what?

piecesof8

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2010, 03:31:48 pm »
The one weak link in my opinion is that piano hinge side. Once you secure the top it feel really fragile when you have to open the cab.

Yeah, I can see how that would feel like a weak point. Since my LCD is going to be secured to the top panel, I'm thinking I may have to add some reinforcement between the top panel and the hinged panel in addition to what they provided with the kit.

How do you secure yours in the closed position? I'm thinking of adding some small latches at the front if I can find some that wouldn't be too noticeable above the third CP.

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 07:31:21 pm
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2010, 03:55:44 pm »
If you want to really make it wife/living room friendly, invest in some micro-leaf switches from groovygamegear ( or: jasonbar still has a bunch for sale for cheaper) These are great, they're silent running and feel pretty good to play with, or you can get yourself actual leaf buttons.

Believe me, minimizing the amount of clicking would minimize the amount of nagging from the missus. :lol

Oh, and get yourself some silent fans too. Nothing is more annoying than watching the tube while there's buzzing and clicking going on in the background. ;)

piecesof8

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2010, 04:50:42 pm »
Nothing is more annoying than watching the tube while there's buzzing and clicking going on in the background. ;)

Yup, micro-leafs and silent fans are definitely part of the plan. Still got lots of stuff left to order. :)

My wife was giving me "those looks" when I first started talking about this project, but she really came around once she actually saw it coming together. She was even helping out with my "hold here while I screw this on" requests. And my daughter keeps trying to rush me to finish it - I keep having to explain to her that it's gonna be a while before we can play it.

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 07:31:21 pm
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2010, 05:23:42 pm »
What are you planning for audio?  Got plans for a Volume control? That can also help with keeping it friendly.
I was just thinking about installing a volume control pot hidden below the 1st player CP on my cocktail...

BurningBeard

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 06, 2019, 03:17:25 pm
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2010, 06:43:48 pm »
But then I actually received the kit and I'm kinda digging the stained wood top, so I'm waffling back and forth on whether I should cover that up with an underlay... What do you guys think? Artwork or no artwork?

The kit looks real nice, if it were me I would stick with the wood top.  Not to mention if you want to go with the "classy"/"wife friendly" I'm sure the wood would match it's surroundings better.  Just my .02

piecesof8

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2010, 07:43:36 pm »
What are you planning for audio?  Got plans for a Volume control? That can also help with keeping it friendly.
I was just thinking about installing a volume control pot hidden below the 1st player CP on my cocktail...

I have a Logitech S220 speaker system that I'm going to stick in there, with the satellite speakers mounted behind those "grills" you can see in the photos. Not sure yet if I'm going to try to have an accessible hardware volume control, or maybe just use a software solution for that.

piecesof8

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2010, 07:45:04 pm »
The kit looks real nice, if it were me I would stick with the wood top.  Not to mention if you want to go with the "classy"/"wife friendly" I'm sure the wood would match it's surroundings better.  Just my .02

One vote for no artwork - any other opinions? MameMaster's looks pretty cool with that Galaxian underlay....  :cheers:

drventure

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 25, 2023, 02:23:57 pm
  • Laser Death Ray Bargain Bin! Make me an offer!
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2010, 08:27:09 pm »

A vol knob definitely, but I'd suggest a headphone jack as well, then just tuck a pair in a draw or cabinet opening on the side.

I also vote for no, or very little artwork.

Instead, I'd head over to lowes or home depot, and pick up some hardwood trim molding, stain it and nail it on. Trim that base kit out and I'll bet it'll be a vast improvement. My daughter and I took a 5$ toybox I picked up from a garage sale, sanded and stained it then trimmed it out with some baseboard and crown molding I had left over. My wife actually +asked+ to put it in the living room! Plus, if you're decorating is in the theme, there's all sorts of carved and embossed wood "elements" you might use too.

Stuff like this

or this

You stain it to match, then nail it on, then clear coat it all.

piecesof8

• Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2010, 10:02:54 pm »
Cool idea, but that might be straying a little farther away from that classic cocktail look than I want to go... Hmm, something else to think about.

drventure

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 25, 2023, 02:23:57 pm
  • Laser Death Ray Bargain Bin! Make me an offer!
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2010, 11:07:55 pm »
Cool idea, but that might be straying a little farther away from that classic cocktail look than I want to go... Hmm, something else to think about.

True

I'm just thinking more of "blending in more with your other furniture" that "looking like and arcade machine"...

My cab's way over the top in that area, so my view is admittedly a little warped.  ;)

I guess what I'm imagining is a cocktail cab, positioned in kind of a corner of the room, with a couple chairs around it, and maybe a lamp or two, like a small seating area. To that end, when I walk into the room, I'd rather at first glance see a nice sitting area around a smoked glass table, and only later realize that it's something much more  8)

BTW I do like the proportions of that kit. Looks really good!

gryhnd

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 22, 2018, 10:48:58 am
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2010, 07:37:56 am »
I'm just thinking more of "blending in more with your other furniture" that "looking like and arcade machine"...

That's how I got it past my wife too  ::)

(I really need a better name for it though)

In progress: Rat Rod Jukebox ** 99% Complete **
Completed: The Island Cocktail, and here
Completed: No Name Upright

piecesof8

• Offline Offline
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2010, 08:52:44 am »
You two are way outta my league.  ;D

piecesof8

• Offline Offline
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2010, 08:29:30 pm »
Not much progress this weekend (too many other things going on), but I did get started on my monitor mount.

I took a spare piece of plywood and clamped the plate from the back of the monitor to it as a guide for my drill:

And ta-da! A wooden VESA mount. Thrilling, I know.

I placed the monitor into its routed recess on the top panel with my new mount in place to measure the gap between the mount and the surface of the top panel. Then I cut some strips of scrap plywood and glued them up to the right size:

The plan is to glue-n-screw one of these spacers to the underside of the top panel on either side of the monitor recess, and then use wood screws to attach my monitor mount to the spacers. I'm totally making this up as I go along... Do the experts think this sounds like a sturdy mount to hold an LCD in place on the underside of the top panel?
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 08:09:27 am by piecesof8 »

emphatic

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 09:41:25 am
  • -"Suck it, Donny!" -"No, YOU suck it.... more".
    • Emphatic's Video Game Collection
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2010, 11:15:29 am »
I have a Logitech S220 speaker system that I'm going to stick in there, with the satellite speakers mounted behind those "grills" you can see in the photos. Not sure yet if I'm going to try to have an accessible hardware volume control, or maybe just use a software solution for that.

I have this in both of my cabinets, very neat little system with just the right amount of bass to make the games "come alive". It comes with a small remote with volume control and a speaker muting headphone jack that should be really easy to hide under one of the edges of the "table".

piecesof8

• Offline Offline
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2010, 08:30:52 am »
I have this in both of my cabinets, very neat little system with just the right amount of bass to make the games "come alive". It comes with a small remote with volume control and a speaker muting headphone jack that should be really easy to hide under one of the edges of the "table".

That's good to know - I actually haven't even taken that out of its box yet. Now that I think about it, I think it may have been one of your posts that made me buy that.  :)

MameMaster!

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 02, 2020, 11:01:15 pm
  • Engage number one!
    • Mame Invaders!
« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2010, 02:33:12 pm »
Sorry I just noticed your question around how I fastened the top-- actually I used the industrial velcro. It isn't the best solution-- but it works like a charm.
Seriously. Will it fit in my basement or what?

piecesof8

• Offline Offline
« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2010, 09:13:44 pm »
Wow, my progress really slowed to a halt after that first post, huh? I need another holiday weekend! I did finally get the top panel on.

Attaching the piece that Arcade Depot provided to connect the rear hinged panel to the top panel. I used glue here in addition to the provided screws.

Just a little extra room to add some extra reinforcement:

Attached each of my monitor spacers with glue and three big wood screws.

A preview of what the monitor will look like when mounted. Don't worry, it's still got a sheet of plastic on it for protection - it doesn't really look all hazy like that.  :)

Flipped it over, lined it up, and pre-drilled the screw holes to attach the monitor mount to the spacers.

Lined up the top panel just right, clamped it down, and screwed it in place.

Used that little bit of extra space to add some small shelf brackets for some extra support when opening it up.

Don't think I'm gonna stick the monitor in there just yet - I have a feeling that gaping hole in the top may come in handy for some of the things I have yet to do.  :)

piecesof8

• Offline Offline
« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2010, 10:13:56 pm »
Slow and not-so-steady progress here, but I'm getting there in spurts... Received my order from Groovy Game Gear this week, so I couldn't resist playing with my shiny new toys!

Attached the supports for the vertical CPs - I think this was my final bit of gluing left to be done! (With the exception of some hot glue here and there, I'm sure.)

Started filling all those holes with my new buttons and spinners from GGG, then applied my vinyl labels from Pongo to the coin, player, and admin buttons.

Hmm, something's conspicuously missing from those pics... Gonna have to send some funds divemaster's way and see if we can't remedy that.  :)

I got micro-leaf switches for all the action buttons, and the standard "soft touch" switches for the coin, player, and admin buttons. I must say, the standard switches that GGG offers live up to their name - I really don't notice that much of a difference in feel between those and the micro-leafs. The micro-leafs are noticeably quieter, though.

Roo

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 15, 2010, 09:17:03 pm
« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2010, 11:46:24 pm »
It's looking really good! I like the finish and all black accents.

piecesof8

• Offline Offline
« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2010, 08:22:02 am »
Thanks! It's really starting to look like the picture I had in my head, now.

ChurchOfSolipsism

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 09, 2023, 01:43:39 pm
« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2010, 08:38:13 am »
Very nice. I'd love to build a cocktail one day, and I'm envisioning one exactly like yours. The black controls look classy.

mjthompson

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 17, 2020, 01:03:18 pm
« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2010, 09:00:42 pm »
piecesof8,

I'm in the middle of down-sizing a full size cabinet (Lucid's design) to a cocktail.  I've looked at the trade-offs between pre-assembled (mikesarcade.com), kit (arcadedepot.com) and scratch built (me).  Based on your pictures, I think the arcadedepot.com is the way to go (although I'm a bit worried about communications).  Can you tell me what color stain you went with and how much shipping was?  I don't think you mentioned either above.

I really like the look of your table, very nice!
The Lineup - Monster Bash remake LE #955, Attack from Mars remake LE #361, Medieval Madness remake LE #126, The Addams Family, White Water, Valley Model 35

piecesof8

• Offline Offline
« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2010, 09:30:30 pm »
Sure, the stain color is red mahogany, and the shipping was around $50.

mjthompson

• Offline Offline
« Reply #35 on: July 29, 2010, 09:57:05 pm »
Awesome, thanks! I just sent Scott a note, we'll see what kind of turn-around I get...
The Lineup - Monster Bash remake LE #955, Attack from Mars remake LE #361, Medieval Madness remake LE #126, The Addams Family, White Water, Valley Model 35

piecesof8

• Offline Offline
« Reply #36 on: July 30, 2010, 08:43:31 am »
Awesome, thanks! I just sent Scott a note, we'll see what kind of turn-around I get...

Get started now, and you might have it in time for New Year's.  :laugh:

Just kidding... I don't mean to keep knocking Scott - seems like a great guy and they make a great product, but they definitely have some ongoing issues they need to iron out. At the rate I'm going, you might get yours finished before I do.

mjthompson

• Offline Offline
« Reply #37 on: August 10, 2010, 09:11:13 pm »
Well, I placed an order today.  Scott seems like a very nice guy.  We'll see how long it takes to get the kit.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2010, 11:50:27 pm by mjthompson »

piecesof8

• Offline Offline
« Reply #38 on: August 11, 2010, 08:01:39 am »
Well, I placed an order today.  Scott seems like a very nice guy.  We'll see how long it takes to get the kit.

Things went very quickly for me once I got the order in - it was getting to that point that was the problem. So it sounds like you should be in good shape.

I got my U360's from divemaster, but one of them suffered some shipping damage, so I'm waiting on some replacement parts at this point. Once I get those I should be ready to start wiring this thing up!

piecesof8

• Offline Offline
« Reply #39 on: August 20, 2010, 10:18:00 pm »
Okay, I'm scratching my head a bit here, so I've come to beg for ideas.

I added some heavy duty magnetic catches to hold the top panel in the closed position:

Now I'd like to do something similar for the third control panel... A non-permanent solution to hold it in the closed position, just enough to keep it from opening during play or when a cat jumps on it. :angry:  The problem is that space on that panel is very limited, and my controls take up almost the entire panel. I've basically got this one small area where I could squeeze something in:

But problem 2 is that that spot lands in the area where the front panel is cut out to allow cables to feed through:

So I'd probably have to add some wood back in there in order to use any type of latch or catch. I considered using velcro, but when the panel is folded up the back edge of it rests flush against the front of the cab, and adding velcro there would cause a gap. Not sure if it would be enough of one to worry about, though.

So... Ideas, suggestions? Please?  ;D