Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: How to Install Chankast DC in Mala in an easy way.  (Read 4777 times)

Henrik68000

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 12, 2010, 01:54:23 pm
How to Install Chankast DC in Mala in an easy way.
« on: May 26, 2010, 12:18:50 pm »
1a. I've not explained any hardware in this guide, but i use a brand new CLUB 8400GS Graphiscard that cost 19.95 uk.pund (I wonder if it's needed at all, im not much into graphiccards). I also use a dual core phenom 3.0 ghz but it shoul be posible to use a singlecore 2.0 ghz. I run XP. Please look else where for hardware requirements if you in the need of it. Until 6 mont ago i used no card but bought the gs8400 to be able to run the AAE emu. (now could that guy just make a new AAE version thats more frontend friendly and stable. The AAE is a fine piece already and a great idea but it need some ajusting).

1. Get hold of Chancast_launch.exe  (goggle it) ALL credits go to this guy for making this little wrapper.
We are not going to use it the way it was intended with a bat made for each game (this can be time consuming but there also a plus side as you can make separate commands for easy game if needed) but as i said i've not done it this way.
Make a Chancast folder with the newest Chankast emu. Find the two bios files on the net and place them i this folder. ALSO: Make a folder inside the chancast folder called 'unmodified  bios files' and make a copy of the two bios files placed in this folder. The reason: Cankast can suddenly deside to modify the two bios files to such that each time you try to start a game a date setting comes up and you can not get past this.  The solution:Take a fresh copy from the folder 'unmodified  bios files' and replace the with the two in the chankast folder. This has happend to me one time only! so i dont think this is a problem.
2a.Install all the files from Chankast launch wrapper in this same folder.
2.Make a folder with the unzipped Dreamcast games (Shall be of the selfbooting type)(CDI/CDD type files +  files that don't mount
but but contain data for some games. (i shall of-course point out that you may not use pirate software).
3. Install a version of Daemon. I've tried many versions. First and foremost i used the the 3.29 version for  DC since the net was full of warnings that this was the only version that could run all games without error I/o warnings. Forget this (for this setup atleast, the newest Daemon runs fine and will mount MORE games than 3.29. Also 3.29 messes with your PC (blue error screens) and also it will not mount the games that have extra files besides the ones for mounting.(Its saying : cant find MDF file or similar).
 I use Daemon tools 4.03he. After installing Daemon please reboot your PC.
4. Daemon drive should be 0:H.  Use the program 'powertoys for xp'. Don't play around with all the tempting things you can do in this program unless
you really know what you are doing. What you need to do for this DC install is to go to 'my computer' in Power toys, then select drives and uncross the drive letter H in the program.
Now leave this program.
4a. In Chankast set the drive letter in the menu for this to the same letter as in daemon. Otherwise you will see the same dc menu each time you select a game.
5. Now we focus on Mala; Make a Mala setup. Executable field should read : C:\your directory to\chankast\chankast_launch.exe. Rom path to your dc
rom folder.Rom extentions field should only contain the two follwing file types ccd,cdi,.
6. Precommand filed: "C:\directory to your deamon\DAEMON Tools\daemon.exe" -unmount 0 -mount 0,"%path%\%rom%.%ext%"
7. COmmanline : "%path%\%rom%.%ext%"  -autostart -fullscreen
Window : minimized
8. Use hot key for closing.
9 Now refresh your game list and be ready try to run some games. Please note that not all games work (yet) but its a darn good emulater for the games that do work. I'm not finish testing my games but i would say that about 60 % of the 230 games that know works.  The others can all have 3 or 4 problems (each game have normally only one of these problems) (Knowing these makes it a breeze to sort the bad one's out of your lists).The Problems: Some hang, others wont load corretly and can start to hang, some show menus at the top of screen allthough not supposed (and thesewont work!!)
10. Now you can play around the the inputs, maybe with darkmans DI input. (I never done this, not needed if you dont care) Also you need to remove the games the the emu cant handle (look at the list of the 3 commom problems.
I ve not been able to find a command to remove the states from the screen so please let me know if you find out. Allthough this is a minor problem.

I'm sure there's many other ways of using Chankast in mala but this is just the way i use it and im quite happy with it after i've made a complete list of games that doo work (and those that doo work, works really good).

Henrik68000
« Last Edit: August 07, 2010, 11:20:42 am by Henrik68000 »

ivwshane

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 24, 2022, 09:35:21 pm
    • My first mame cab! (WIP)
Re: How to Install Chankast DC in Mala in an easy way.
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2010, 11:54:50 pm »
Very nice thanks!!

Is anyone still working on chankast though?

Henrik68000

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 12, 2010, 01:54:23 pm
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2010, 07:12:09 am »
I dont know.  I guess they would do it when the time is there for it but i think the development has stopped. But anyway i dont think that any other dc emu can play 100+ games. Or am i wrong? (im not much into other dc emu's)

I've just added a few more guide lines to my DC  help post.

Can anyone inform me if theres another DC emu that can run as many games (stable) and can be installed in a front end with autostart and fullcreen?
« Last Edit: August 07, 2010, 11:08:45 am by Henrik68000 »

mike boss

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 22, 2021, 01:19:45 pm
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2011, 05:08:12 pm »
I know this is old, but I'm very new to this and have a few questions.
(a) will this work with Daemon tools light ? I just DL the program now, and  that is what is available.

(b) will this work with ISO files if you specify in settings to look for ISO ?

(c) will this work if the drive is labled F

thanks

Celsius

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 10, 2015, 11:40:41 am
    • Rcade project
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2011, 02:18:25 am »
I'm using nulldc and haven't encountered any problems in the games I like. Haven't tried Demul after the last updates to play dc, but I guess for the highest compatibility you'd have to use several emu's.

mike boss

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 22, 2021, 01:19:45 pm
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2011, 06:54:25 am »
I'm only looking to play about a half dozen or so games, actually only light gun games.
Having a heck of a time getting Chankast to work.
I think I'll need to post my settings and see if I did something wrong.