Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Little League High Score Championship #001: METAL SLUG  (Read 3395 times)

WhereEaglesDare

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 24, 2014, 08:47:08 pm
  • Shut Off All The Compactors on the Detention Level
    • My HomePage
Little League High Score Championship #001: METAL SLUG
« on: May 25, 2010, 09:11:40 pm »
Okay, here goes, this is the little league high score championship.  :lol  If you play in the other Major League High Score Championship (and win often) then please refrain from winning.  You can play but please don't post extremely high scores that nobody that is a "novice" would ever reach and gesture that yea, got it on my first quarter, come on you guys YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE   >:D .

The game is METAL SLUG. (Rom Set MSLUG).

-ALL DEFAULTS

- One credit only.

- No continues!

- No MAME cheats!

- Last day is Wednesday June 9th - Midnight Eastern Time (ie right before Thursday), 2010.

- High score wins.

- No savestates, savestate practices, etc. during the round.

- MAME INP recordings are optional, but encouraged!

- A screenshot is required to enter a score (press F12 to save screenshot showing your final score) or take a photo of the screen if playing on a real machine.

Good luck!
« Last Edit: May 25, 2010, 09:20:38 pm by WhereEaglesDare »

mimic

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 10, 2024, 02:58:45 pm
Re: Little League High Score Championship #001: METAL SLUG
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2010, 12:35:45 am »
I didn't want to derail my own thread and post there, and I don't mean to derail this one, but I think this thread is watering down the competition. I know it seems like the same people are winning over and over again, but I think they just put that much more time into it. It takes practice to be good and that includes arcade games. The fact that the same people winning different competition most likely means they try over and over again, and it's not that they were playing the same one or two games for decades (I think)
Besides how do you decide who is a newbie and who isn't? Is someone gonna acuse another that their score is too high for this "little league"?
Just post your best score in the "other league", let others know you tried. Not everyone can be a winner.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2010, 12:37:34 am by mimic »

mh12

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 24, 2010, 10:03:57 am
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2010, 08:57:00 am »
I didn't want to derail my own thread and post there, and I don't mean to derail this one, but I think this thread is watering down the competition. I know it seems like the same people are winning over and over again, but I think they just put that much more time into it. It takes practice to be good and that includes arcade games. The fact that the same people winning different competition most likely means they try over and over again, and it's not that they were playing the same one or two games for decades (I think)
Besides how do you decide who is a newbie and who isn't? Is someone gonna acuse another that their score is too high for this "little league"?
Just post your best score in the "other league", let others know you tried. Not everyone can be a winner.

i agree with this. but will the other competition ever bother with a game like Metal Slug? maybe this could be the 90s games competition, which would attract a different crowd anyhow.

Ginsu Victim

• Yeah, owning a MAME cab only leads to owning real ones. MAME just isn't good enough. It's a gateway drug.
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 08, 2023, 02:40:58 pm
  • Comanche, OK -- USA
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2010, 09:42:10 am »
This thread is completely NOT needed.

gaffner

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 05, 2013, 04:55:20 pm
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2010, 10:00:27 am »

i agree with this. but will the other competition ever bother with a game like Metal Slug? maybe this could be the 90s games competition, which would attract a different crowd anyhow.

Why wouldn't the other competition bother with Metal Slug?  The winner gets to choose, and especially if you get a winner who has won a few times, they are typically open to requests from others.  You have to figure that those that win often want more competition as well...  :)

That being said, I would propose that Metal Slug be the next game in the regular competition.  And... thinking outside the box for a moment... rather than the winner choosing... why don't we have a list of video games for people to vote from each competitition.  The video game with the highest number of votes that hasn't been chosen in a previous competition in the past year (for example) wins, and that's the one chosen for the next go around?

Epyx

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 25, 2023, 07:56:36 pm
  • "You're an oddity"
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2010, 10:59:01 am »
The other thread IS little league...many have won who are noobs as you put it...definitely agree this thread is not needed.
Last Project

Epyx Tutorials:
Tutorials

WhereEaglesDare

• Offline Offline
    • My HomePage
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2010, 07:21:09 am »
Guess nobody wants to play it, didnt mean to start a whole muffin storm.  Saw someone with an idea and thought that it was a decent idea, lets put it into action.  Why does it matter how many comps we have, I thought it was about getting people to play their cabs or create interest in people who dont even know they want a cab yet and create the spirit of friendly competition.  I wasnt stepping on anyone toes or over any line, just wanted to see how high people could get on Metal Slug and give the chance to people that can't get the hang of 25 year old, 4-way, vertical games to have a moment to shine. 

Also I followed and tried to do something meaningful on the main threads, but as others have noted before me, it is futile.  I know playing these games are about skills, reaction, and recognizing patterns.  I get that, but it can get to the point where people loose interest and stop following the main threads all together.  Perhaps this could be viewed as an attempt to get these gamers back.

Also according to a recent poll, 31% of people on this forum identify with games from the early 90s and newer, which means more than they played a lot of Sega Genesis and didn't spend a lot of time in the arcade.  This group is different than the other group in my opinion.   I am one of those people.  Growing up the closest thing I had to an arcade is the video rental store up the street that had a few racing games, a MVS, and Mortal Kombat 3.  Of course there was the redemption arcade that had games, but I would only get the chance to go once a year if that.  The bottom line for this part of the rant is that a large minority of people on this forum havn't and don't want to play games from before 1993.  I personally have spent a lot of time on Tetris and Donkey Kong in the past two or three weeks, but that is about it for pre-93 games.  I might skim through my list and play something for 5 minutes that is pre-93, but other than that I am playing only newer games.

:soapbox:

If it is the common consensus that this is a ridiculous idea then please stop posting and it will fall to page 2 and nobody will ever read it again.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2010, 07:56:40 am by WhereEaglesDare »

Ginsu Victim

• Yeah, owning a MAME cab only leads to owning real ones. MAME just isn't good enough. It's a gateway drug.
  • Offline Offline
  • Comanche, OK -- USA
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2010, 08:31:48 am »
Have you read the other thread? We discuss this more there.

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=102861.0

isucamper

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 25, 2019, 05:13:08 pm
  • I'm a slasher... of prices!!
    • my project arcade blog
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2010, 01:32:47 pm »
I, for one, am completely for having more than one high score thread.  In fact, I think there should be an entire forum section for them, as has been mentioned in the past.  If a game comes up that I'm not interested in, then I have to wait weeks for something else.

Also, having more than one thread would thin out the competition a bit.  If the heavy hitters who have a ton of time to play are focusing on a particular score than it would alleviate the intensity another another thread. 
THE SYSTEM          Popeye

Epyx

• Offline Offline
  • "You're an oddity"
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2010, 02:28:58 pm »
I, for one, am completely for having more than one high score thread.  In fact, I think there should be an entire forum section for them, as has been mentioned in the past.  If a game comes up that I'm not interested in, then I have to wait weeks for something else.

Also, having more than one thread would thin out the competition a bit.  If the heavy hitters who have a ton of time to play are focusing on a particular score than it would alleviate the intensity another another thread.

Now that is an idea I like...a forum for high scores would work much better. My biggest beef was the perception that a lot of us weren't noobs or somehow liked only classics. I know I picked Black Tiger (1987) and if I ever win again I would likely pick a 90s game or 2 on my list (Truxton II etc!).

The 2nd thing was the thread getting lost in the abyss that is the Main forum...this would address that. However, there would still need to be some sort of organization to keep them a) manageable and b) interesting

17 different games with some not seeing any challengers would not be very competitive and as a result not very fun....but maybe game comps by genre on a weekly cycle would work?
Last Project

Epyx Tutorials:
Tutorials

TOK

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 24, 2024, 05:14:24 pm
  • The Game Always Wins
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2010, 02:55:58 pm »
I like that its just one competition every two weeks. Diluting it into multiple competitions or a separate forum will just mess up something that has already been working well for a long time.

I have pretty limited gaming time and never won a competition, even though I've entered a few of them. Keep it the way it is!

gaffner

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 05, 2013, 04:55:20 pm
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2010, 03:00:03 pm »

I would also be for an entire forum section depending on the level of interest.  How many people are there for each of these competitions?  How many would play if there was a whole forum set up for this?  What kind of systems are people interested in?

If only 10 people are interested in these competitions, I think that multiple competitions would water it down.  But if we're talking 50 people, then that seems like enough to actually warrant it's own section.

Ginsu Victim

• Offline Offline
  • Comanche, OK -- USA
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2010, 03:03:16 pm »
That wouldn't be near enough people to support having a dedicated forum.

WhereEaglesDare

• Offline Offline
    • My HomePage
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2010, 09:03:34 pm »
Well here we go, we can open our own site, just for high scores.  use a SMF forum just like this site and open it up.  I ran my site for a while and overall it only cost 5 -8 bucks a month. and 4 or 5 hours to start up.

Nevermind, bad idea.  I was just trying to open up the scene a little bit.  Forget it.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2010, 09:25:31 pm by WhereEaglesDare »

Epyx

• Offline Offline
  • "You're an oddity"
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2010, 09:27:22 pm »
How about the next winner has the following stipulations:

- Has to pick two games from two different genres and two different decades

That way its varied enough.  The winner of each of the two games has to likewise pick a different genre and decade for their pick?

We get some more variety without the need to put up another forum *or* drown ourselves in too many high score threads?
Last Project

Epyx Tutorials:
Tutorials

Ginsu Victim

• Offline Offline
  • Comanche, OK -- USA
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2010, 10:18:10 pm »
I think that's a brilliant idea, Epyx.

YoGaBaR

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 11, 2021, 12:10:54 pm
  • Yeah im in the club
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2010, 10:20:15 pm »
I think it would be a good idea to have a new comp thread. I like the games that are 90s and newer. I have really tried on a lot of the games on the other one but come no where near even the lowest persons score.  :angry: Yeah I suck something aweful at games SO WHAT! They are fun to play. It might be nice to have a few games like shumps and flying shooters ect. Hellz yea lets throw a game like simpsons or tmnt in the mix.

Maybe he meant this comp is for the youngsters, and not the older more diversed golden age (dare I say (ol'fogies)) :laugh2:

Or what Epyx said sounded good as well
Check out my WOODY  Bubble Bobble