Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: sega gremlin cab,what restore????  (Read 4058 times)

saleem

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 07, 2012, 08:03:39 am
sega gremlin cab,what restore????
« on: May 25, 2010, 09:06:49 am »
got a sega gremlin cabinet,working monitor,non working board,just got garbage onscreen,might be something might not be.

it has moon cresta artwork,monitor bezel,marquee.the cpo is well cracked and well beat,could do with replacement.

it has what looks like a nice monitor with what looks like decent pic,it is a sega tube,vertical setup of course.

i will just be filling holes,sanding and painting the cabinet to get it looking tidy,the photos flatter it,it needs a cosmetic uplift.i will be keeping the moon cresta artwork and getting moon cresta board for the cabinet.it currently has a galaxian bootleg with a bad ram in there at this moment in time.

as you can see it has a switching power supply but,no!i aint jammerising it unless of course i get moon cresta board on jamma????

:)
« Last Edit: May 25, 2010, 12:50:38 pm by saleem »

saleem

• Offline Offline
Re: sega gremlin cab,what restore????
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2010, 11:38:54 am »
the strip down!

the cab isnt so grey after all,removed the art off the side:

looks more white to me,could be a realy white grey?

both front corners are smashed,nothing some good filler wont sort:

monitor,very little screen burn:

i got to spread my time thinly between a space zapo and this one so updates will be slow.

thanks.

Havok

• Keeper of the __Blue_Stars___
  • Trade Count: (+17)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 22, 2023, 09:14:44 pm
  • Insufficient facts always invite danger.
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2010, 04:25:48 pm »
1 Deutsche Mark for one play? What a ripoff!

saleem

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2010, 04:50:39 pm »
looks like the cab had history to have come all the way from germany.

updates will be few and far beween for this project has i got a bigger space zap project ongoing.

i have purchased a moon cresta original board,a replacement control panel with better cpo (the existing one was in crap state) i got an original wiring harness,just waiting for the items to arrive from usa.will update with photos of the items when i recieve them.

all i have done so far since the last time i posted with this project is apply p38 filler to holes and guages,they need sanding down now.the sides need cleaning with something to remove the old side art glue.

like i say i will update,i will get around to sanding the filler down and when i get the items i bought i will post pics.

i will be putting 10p uk coin mech in the mackhine,means i will have to suss out what to do for the little plaque that has price,i dont know if the 10p will fit through the slots on the dm plaque as i aint tried them.

will update in due course.

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 02, 2024, 07:42:30 pm
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2010, 05:28:11 pm »
i will be putting 10p uk coin mech in the mackhine,means i will have to suss out what to do for the little plaque that has price,i dont know if the 10p will fit through the slots on the dm plaque as i aint tried them.

Have you picked up the coin-mechs already?  I've got 2x 10p coin mechs that I pulled out of my old euro galaxian clone...just sitting there collecting dust. I'd sell 'em to you for real cheap, though shipping from Vancouver Canada might be expensive.

saleem

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2010, 05:52:40 pm »
yes,i bought a couple of coin mechs off ebay uk,they were only like £9 for both delivered.but,thanks for the offer.

i just finished sanding down and basicly all the filling and sanding is done,might be 1 or 2 places i missed but,i will see in the future as i progress.

them broken/smashed corners dont exist anymore,both were in bad shape,not terrible but,needed rebuilding:

both sides:

just a case of wipe it down of dust etc,undercoat with zinsser and then top coat.will be a light grey i think.

shame realy,the original is laminate but,all the filling and sanding shows too much.i would have loved to have stripped the laminate off and put woodgrain effect so it went to how the original moon cresta was.but,i think its a trade off,harder job and more money versus fill and sand with uncoat and top coat.it will definately benefit from it,its just a cse of getting the right finish on the top coat.i will wire wool it down to get it right pretty smooth and remove any little blemishs it might get.

hopefully the moon cresta goodies will be here by saturday also.fingers crossed.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2010, 01:44:03 pm by saleem »

saleem

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2010, 01:33:35 pm »
recieved from usa yesterday:

marquee,just slightly in better shape than the existing one,control panel with better cpo,just slight cracking at the bottom and original sega moon cresta board.

so after a bit of messing i have decided to jamma wire the cab and then create a jamma connector for the moon cresta,i get to enjoy the best of both worlds then.the wiring in the cab is homemade by the last owner,so i think it will benefit from a jamma rewire.

solved a prob i had with the board,some elements of the game were not displayed correctly and after a lot of posts and replies elsewhere the problem got resolved,it needed the ac/dc hack doing to the board.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2010, 01:30:58 pm by saleem »