Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Arcade Cabinet with Flush CP  (Read 19844 times)

isometrik

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 18, 2010, 12:51:57 pm
Arcade Cabinet with Flush CP
« on: May 24, 2010, 12:06:07 pm »
I want start of by saying I'm new here and this is my first post, so hello all!

Can someone recommend a set of cabinet plans for a stand up arcade cabinet that doesn't have a bulky CP box that sticks out from either side of the cab? Having built two bar top arcade cabs in the past I'm ready to take on the construction of a stand up model, however I can't seem to find any plans to build the exact style of cab I want and I'm a little hesitant to design my own.

The cab I'd like to model mine after would be something like the one they sold at Costco called the Ultimate Arcade 2:

(Not the 2+ one they sell now), which had the control panel flush and inset into the cab, but was large enough to accommodate two joysticks, six buttons for each player, one/two player start buttons and a trackball in the center. I'd rather this style of cab over say, the Arcade Paradise 3 (http://www.arcadeparadise.org/arcade/ap3/index.html), which is perfect except for that bulky control box.

Do such plans exist or am I stuck with having to design my own?

Thanks.

milkit

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 28, 2014, 09:14:33 pm
Re: Arcade Cabinet with Flush CP
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2010, 12:10:57 pm »
i like this style

Blanka

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 25, 2018, 03:19:28 pm
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2010, 12:11:50 pm »
Classics never have a sticking out CP. So start browsing Jakobuds collection.

Havok

• Keeper of the __Blue_Stars___
  • Trade Count: (+17)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 22, 2023, 09:14:44 pm
  • Insufficient facts always invite danger.
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2010, 12:12:23 pm »
Check out this link:

http://www.jakobud.com/plan-list.php

** Edit - just a tad too slow **

isometrik

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2010, 01:16:33 pm »
So I modified the arcade paradise 3 plans to accommodate a flush control panel and this is the result (in google sketchup):

Just wondering if anyone had any input on the dimensions. My main concerns are  not having enough space to use the trackball on games like golden tee and whether or not the marquee may stick out too far with regards to how far the CP sticks out (may block vision, hit head, etc.).

Please let me know what you think.

EDIT - The man in the picture is 5'8" whereas I am 6'2", the same height as the top of the marquee.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2010, 01:19:53 pm by isometrik »

syph007

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 24, 2014, 04:30:03 pm
  • With a router big enough, we can shape the world!
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2010, 01:45:59 pm »
I did many test panels to get the trackball in the right spot.  I even had to build a mini extension to my control panel to get it far enough from my screen.    Just checked mine now on my svg file and I have the trackball center, 10.5 inches from the screen.  I wouldn't want it much closer than that for good use in golden tee.  That my opinion though, based on how I play etc.  You could have it closer depending on how you play.

Havok

• Keeper of the __Blue_Stars___
  • Trade Count: (+17)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 22, 2023, 09:14:44 pm
  • Insufficient facts always invite danger.
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2010, 01:58:33 pm »
That's a pretty small panel, which would normally only be on dedicated machines. You might want to consider using an LCD and recess the control panel further in to get more real estate for a trackball. Keep in mind you not only need it to physically fit, you will also need "swing room" for when you spin it forward.

You also may want to consider bumping the height up a bit as you will be staring right into the marquee when standing in front of it. I remember the first time I played Centipede after "growing up" (whatever that means) and I found the lit marquee somewhat distracting.

isometrik

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2010, 02:13:01 pm »
Thanks for the suggestions. I plan on using an uncased crt tv rather than an lcd monitor, but I will angle the it more aggressively than the drawing shows, will that help with trackball clearance? (I think that's what the Ultimate Arcade 2 does, the screen is almost parallel with the ground).

As far as height goes, I can make it taller sure, but I don't want it to throw off the balance of the cab in terms of proportion.

syph007

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2010, 02:20:19 pm »
I'm 6'3" and my cab is 6'2".  It's ok, but if I was to do it over again, I'd make it a few inches taller.  Mostly the CP height I find the most uncomfortable and I made mine 1 inch taller than what's common. 

My CP is only angled 4 degrees, but if you are much taller than avg then having a really angled but low CP is really uncomfortable to use, it bends your wrists at odd angles.  Think about standing over a short desk and reaching down to use controls. 

isometrik

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2010, 02:26:33 pm »
My CP is 3'3" at the lowest point. Is that common?

syph007

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2010, 02:41:07 pm »
Mine is 3'3" at the back(highest  point) and about 1/2 of an inch lower than that at the front.