Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: joystick directions lit? possible product suggestion  (Read 2579 times)

tony.silveira

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 17, 2024, 10:24:34 pm
    • my baby
joystick directions lit? possible product suggestion
« on: May 23, 2010, 10:39:35 pm »
hi all,

i have an idea rattling around in this skull of mine; how to highlight which directions are used on a stick, 2-way (hor. or ver.), 4-way, 8-way.

i'm thinking of adding 8 small red LED's in each of the directions around a j-stick; drill from ender the panel so the lights are flush with the top of the cab.  these lights could be driven by my ledwiz board.  when starting a mame game, the appropriate lights would light up (galaga, only left and right would light, donkey kong, up, down, left right... street fighter, all 8 lights would light up).

this got me thinking of a potential product for randy at ggg or andy at ultimarc.

it would be like randy's LED marquee bars but instead would be a circle.  we users could route in a circle, 1/4 inch deep, around our sticks, so that this round board is flush with the panel.  to top it off, it would come with a plastic clip on top that has directions arrows that would be lit from the lights underneath.  you could even have multiple versions of this plastic clip on ring, different arrow styles, different colors, etc; think of an xbox faceplate.  heck, it could even be clear and come with a template so the user could design and print their own.

maybe a stupid idea, just throwing it out there :)
« Last Edit: May 23, 2010, 10:41:14 pm by tony.silveira »

Gatt

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 04, 2020, 08:24:38 pm
Re: joystick directions lit? possible product suggestion
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2010, 02:30:03 am »
It's not a bad idea,  there's a thousand ways it could be done.

I'm not certain how in demand it would be though,  I mean with a joystick,  there's usually little confusion over which direction(s) to use it in,  I think it'd end up a novelty item.

Ginsu Victim

• Yeah, owning a MAME cab only leads to owning real ones. MAME just isn't good enough. It's a gateway drug.
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 08, 2023, 02:40:58 pm
  • Comanche, OK -- USA
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2010, 08:38:46 am »
I've thought of several different ways to do something like this, but never got around to trying one.

bkenobi

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 16, 2021, 10:41:52 pm
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2010, 11:12:11 am »
It might be cleaner to have a small picture above the joystick (somewhere) that shows the mode and install a single light behind each one.  Then, just use your LED controller to light the correct one.  I'm thinking something similar to how Lunar Lander has the different images on the bezel area.

« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 11:15:15 am by bkenobi »

Franco B

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 09:14:06 am
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2010, 11:28:32 am »
I was kinda going to something similar with my cocktail.

I just inserted some 5mm acrylic rod pieces in this test panel which were then back lit by LEDs.

However, I then decided it would be better to use 10mm rod pieces and then cut arrows out of the CPO to reveal the acrylic below, kinda like:

The dotted line represents the 10mm acrylic insert.

I'm still undecided whether to do this with one of my Naomi cabs.

This is a quick video of the 5mm lit inserts. I think the 10mm inserts + arrows would look nicer, along with halo lit Seimitsu buttons.

bkenobi

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 16, 2021, 10:41:52 pm
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2010, 12:34:32 pm »
Other than the risk of seizures, that does look pretty cool!  I'm still not on board with the concept of lit CP's, but sometimes they do look more appealing.  I'm surprised that manufacturers aren't installing them since they seem to be good for drawing attention!

Franco B

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2010, 12:44:40 pm »
Yarp, the buttons are far too bright! They are just clear Happ style ones which I was planning on using at the time.

I have moved onto Seimitsu buttons since then and will be lighing mine like this which should give a nice effect with out being quite so in your face! :)

92greenyj

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 02, 2012, 06:19:41 pm
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2010, 02:40:13 pm »
Other than the risk of seizures, that does look pretty cool!  I'm still not on board with the concept of lit CP's, but sometimes they do look more appealing.  I'm surprised that manufacturers aren't installing them since they seem to be good for drawing attention!

They are on most of the newer games. Not necessarily traditional cabinet games, but the majority of the games in my work arcade have lit buttons. And honestly, I prefer the unlits. I seem to replace at least one cracked or broken lit button per week.

tony.silveira

• Offline Offline
    • my baby
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2010, 03:29:16 pm »
frankob, exactly what i was thinking of.  could you give me more info on these acrylic inserts?  what are they, how did you mount them, etc. etc.  also, any pics closer pics of inside the cab, how they are mounted from behind, would surely help.

bkenobi, i also thought of having a graphic that is lit, showing joystick directions but trying to stay away from graphics on my cp, just want pretty lights :)

thank you all for the feedback

Franco B

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2010, 04:19:35 pm »
The inserts in those pictures are easy Tony, its just some [5mm acrylic] rod cut into short lengths. I used 12mm (1/2") MDF and drilled a 5mm hole though. I just then inserted a 5mm or so long piece of acrylic into the panel and then just inserted a 5mm LED into the bottom of the hole inside the CP.

I don't really have any inside CP pics as I didn't finish the project. I am going to restart it sometime at a later date as I am no longer happy with some of the work that I did on it.

I did however cut some panels to house the larger 10mm inserts:

The idea was to insert a 10mm dia piece of acrylic in the top and light it from the back using a 5mm LED as before.

Cross section:

tony.silveira

• Offline Offline
    • my baby
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2010, 04:33:29 pm »
thanks buddy!

i was curious about the inside because the base of the joystick that attaches to the under panel, would seem to cover those holes.  so i'm curious if you routed out some lines for the LED wires or maybe had a small washer/spacer to keep that joystick base off of the wood.

thanks for the idea!

Franco B

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2010, 12:37:11 pm »
No problemo Tony :)

Ah, I see why you wanted pics now. Yeah the LEDs/wires sat between the underside of the CP and the top of the joystick plate just as you thought.

The LED legs were bent at 90 degrees and so the wiring etc only took up 2-3mm. I just used some 3mm washers but you could route some reliefs as you suggested.

I have been trying to think how I could do this with a thin metal CP and I think I may have had an idea today that will work. I'll have to try it and see. I'll report back if it works.

I don't think I would have been thinking about it if you hadn't have posted this thread so thanks for that  :cheers:

kronic24601

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 24, 2014, 03:08:54 pm
  • Evil Arcade Monkey Strikes Again!
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2010, 06:08:21 pm »
Yarp, the buttons are far too bright! They are just clear Happ style ones which I was planning on using at the time.

I have moved onto Seimitsu buttons since then and will be lighing mine like this which should give a nice effect with out being quite so in your face! :)

I LOVE this halo effect on those buttons... are these modded buttons or store bought somewhere? (IF modded ... Teach me Teach me!!)

EDIT: After doing a little research, I THINK you are using these http://lizardlick.com/images/for_sale/pushbuttons/ps_14_dn_rc.jpg but, if so you have clearly modded them with lights and that black thingy. curious ...
« Last Edit: May 25, 2010, 06:26:16 pm by kronic24601 »

Franco B

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2010, 12:39:38 am »
Yes, those are the buttons. You can se how I modded them [here].

kronic24601

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2010, 11:05:39 am »
Holy CRAP! You must have some serious tools at home. How in the hell did you make those black screw on inserts? amazing.

(sorry about thread jacking ... I'll put my tongue back in my mouth now).

Ginsu Victim

• Yeah, owning a MAME cab only leads to owning real ones. MAME just isn't good enough. It's a gateway drug.
  • Offline Offline
  • Comanche, OK -- USA
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2010, 11:22:50 am »
Holy CRAP! You must have some serious tools at home.

Franco has access to some serious tools and has the skills to use them.

Franco B

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2010, 12:00:20 pm »
I wish I had the tools at home  :) I work mainly as a CNC machinist and am lucky to have access to a few machines at work

I made the black nylon screw on things on a lathe at work. You could probably do something similar by just rolling up some cardboard etc to make a tube and then putting a cardboard etc disc on the end to make a cap to mount the LED(s) in. Obviously it wouldn't screw in place but you could stick it or use a cable tie etc.

I have been having more of a think today about how to do the LED ring but on a metal CP and I think I definitely have a plan that should work now which I am dying to try out :)

Ginsu Victim

• Offline Offline
  • Comanche, OK -- USA
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2010, 12:05:49 pm »
I wish I had the tools at home

Hence my use of the term "access to" ;D

kronic24601

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2010, 12:21:10 pm »
I wonder if some PVC might work ... hmmm ...

Franco B

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2010, 12:57:12 pm »
I wish I had the tools at home

Hence my use of the term "access to" ;D

;D

I wonder if some PVC might work ... hmmm ...

I don't see why not. You would just need to get some pipe with a bore as close to the button thread diameter as possible.

I haven't got a button handy to measure but IIRC its about 29mm (seeing as they mount in 30mm holes) and 29mm is 1.14"

Imperial pipe work is measured by the internal diameter, metric pipe is measured by the external diameter. Manufacturing tolerences vary but I think some 1.25" would be a pretty close fit. You would need a way to secure the pipe to the button as there would be a gap but you could easily do this by threading a hole or two in the wall of the pipe so you could use a grub screw or two to secure it.

kronic24601

• Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2010, 01:39:55 pm »
hmm that would probably work, my initial thought was to go larger and just glue the locking nut that the buttons come with inside the PVC. Not sure what that diameter is (the outer diameter of the nuts). That way you would get the screw in threads without potentially jacking the button threads with grub screw.

Franco B

• Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2010, 01:50:25 pm »
I like it, an even easier and better solution to boot  :applaud:

I need to go out to my 'shop in a minute, I'll see if I can find a nut to measure for you.

Franco B

• Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2010, 02:35:57 pm »
Its a fraction under 35mm so 1 3/8" should fit nicely.

I think 1 3/8" is a standard size so you should be able to find something fairly easily.

kronic24601

• Offline Offline
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2010, 06:32:55 pm »
sweet! Thanks for measuring  :)