Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Air Hockey Build  (Read 43570 times)

selfie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 20, 2014, 01:05:53 am
Re: Air Hockey Build
« Reply #80 on: May 15, 2012, 05:52:18 pm »
The top is a single flute the bottom is a twin. The single flute is more suited to drilling as it goes to a point but the twin flute and triple flute cutters are more suited to cutting in a sideways direction because of the multiple cutting edges.

No... single flute bits don't always start with the tip in the center (like your bit) so drilling with those would be problematic.  Also in your pic the 2 flute is on the top and the single is on the bottom.

My bad... every single flute spiral I've had has been like that. Post edited.

ids

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 16, 2023, 05:43:28 pm
  • Fighter Captured
« Reply #81 on: May 16, 2012, 10:28:17 am »
Would a double-flute be good for drilling?  I've found this: http://www.sowatool.com/CDN/index.php?option=com_rokdownloads&view=file&task=download&id=72%3Aend-mills&Itemid=102&lang=en

Third page, first item at the top-left, they have what appears to be double fluted 1/32" bit - and it's just barely long enough (1/8" = .125" vs 3mm ACP = .118").  Opinions?  Would one bit be enough?

With the long weekend upon us, I was hoping to get started, but may just wait to get this bit if recommended.

selfie

• Offline Offline
« Reply #82 on: May 16, 2012, 06:31:18 pm »
The two flutes like that aren't really suited to drilling ACM. The two flutes have the cutting tips at the same depth. If you think about how the nit will cut, the two points will cut the first layer of alloy at the same time and the offcut will be a disc the size of the cutter. If the disc doesn't clear from the bit you will have issues cutting the next hole. Checking the bit after each hole doesn't sound bad until you think about 4000 holes.

ids

• Offline Offline
  • Fighter Captured
« Reply #83 on: May 16, 2012, 07:56:07 pm »
selfie, thanks so much for the details!  I guess I'll put CNC bits on the back-burner for now.

I picked up the dremel plunge router attachment and will try a few holes later when I get a chance.  Hopefully a regular twist bit and a really fast spin will give a good enough result.

On another note, I picked up another blower.  I was actually thinking of making an air cleaner for the shop.  The big ones I see (e.g. http://www.busybeetools.com/products/AIR-CLEANER-510CFM-CSA-CRAFTEX.html) are rather pricy.  All one needs is something to move air, a filter, and a box - all easy to come by.  This new one seems to move a lot of air, and may also be able to build more pressure.  It's something of a different design from what I currently have (pics to come).  I have yet to spend any time with it, so details sketchy at the moment.  When the time comes, I think I'll try both - the better one will remain, the other becomes the muscle behind the air cleaner.

Earlier in the thread was mention of a mini - I may just try that as well.  Some time ago i was given a pair of smaller blowers, so I might just put a mini on the to-do list.  And in fact, perhaps before drilling 4k holes, I'll try fewer with a smaller blower as a test.

ids

• Offline Offline
  • Fighter Captured
« Reply #84 on: May 21, 2012, 10:38:10 pm »
~1400 holes in, not quite the progress i was hoping for.  About a dozen drill bits in - also, not according to plan.  Started getting into a groove, so the rate of losing drill bits has come down quite a bit - only lost one in the last half hour.  This is going to take while :(

ids

• Offline Offline
  • Fighter Captured
« Reply #85 on: June 26, 2012, 07:22:13 pm »
bigger update coming, but, fwiw, drilling completed - finally.  Went through about 15-20 bits, many hours, and a lot of four letter words, but the worst part of this is over.  The silver lining is I know where to get 1/32" bits should I need them again :).  Still working on final details for the design of the rest of it, but that's nothing compared to what I've done to date (and more about picking nits).  Pics to come.  I know there is still so much left to do, but after drilling more than 8000 holes in all, the rest seems like peanuts at this point.

many thanks to those who have provided info and encouragement along the way....it's the motivational difference between giving up and forging ahead - thanks

selfie

• Offline Offline
« Reply #86 on: June 26, 2012, 08:56:36 pm »
Nice one ids.

I can imagine how easy it looks from here on in.

warjunkie

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 01, 2013, 02:07:23 am
    • The Kingdom of Loathing
« Reply #87 on: July 01, 2012, 04:15:43 am »
This quest to build your own air hockey table was quite a good read. And I didn't realise how much I wanted my own one until now :P

I will definitely be keeping an eye on this thread.

ids

• Offline Offline
  • Fighter Captured
« Reply #88 on: February 25, 2013, 06:25:29 pm »
Been a while, lots of life's ups and downs since my last post and not much real progress, but some pics for now (this aint dead yet)...

ACP set up:

Throw pegboard on top as a template:

One of many ways to attempt to drill dead-centre within pegboard holes:

Some of the broken drill bits:

Still deciding how the rest will be put together, and also distracted by a dozen other projects  :-[

CaptainMarvel

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 03, 2020, 04:49:55 pm
« Reply #89 on: October 11, 2013, 06:53:58 pm »
Any progress since your last posting in February ???

:dunno
TOM

Understanding that you may not see success instantly, but that all your good decisions add up to a cumulative success over time is what separates those who "get there" and those who don't. Every day you either get further away from your goals, or closer to them . . . Its up to YOU."

ids

• Offline Offline
  • Fighter Captured
« Reply #90 on: October 11, 2013, 07:22:43 pm »
Sorry to report - no change.  I've had some acquisitions for my game room, and no longer have space for this if I finish it.  I do keep hoping to get back to it soon anyway, but "soon" seems to be stretching itself out quite bit :(
I've also got a pile of other half finished projects in need of attention.  Hoping to complete at least one before the new year.  It's sad actually to think that the worse of it is complete and now it languishes  :(

Thanks for the interest.   Soon.....

matt4949

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 07, 2021, 09:24:54 pm
  • Poor Kids Only Got To Watch Video Games
« Reply #91 on: October 11, 2013, 10:54:37 pm »
Just a thought on the top layer support. What if you screwed 24x48= 1052 screws on 2 inch centers? Leave them as tall as your air chamber and support the top on them. plenty of air ciculation and the weight wouldn't be much. I think 1 1/2 inch drywall screws weigh about 1 pound per hundred.

I found a trashed air hockey table 3 years ago at a church flea sale and restored it.  When me and the wife play, the kids all duck and run. It's pretty vicious.

Typefighter01

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 29, 2023, 09:10:21 pm
  • Back I guess...
« Reply #92 on: October 12, 2013, 11:09:00 am »
One of many ways to attempt to drill dead-centre within pegboard holes:

It's been a while since I read the entire thread, so sorry if it was mentioned before, but instead of using the paper grid to centre the router bit, why not install a guide bushing on your router base plate. I am almost positive you can get a bushing that is the same I.D. as the peg board holes. This way you can just plop it in the hole and plunge away.

Here is a link http://www.rockler.com/m/product.cfm?page=1522 to what I am talking about. I know you are done drilling, but it might save the next guy a ton of time.

ids

• Offline Offline
  • Fighter Captured
« Reply #93 on: October 12, 2013, 04:27:57 pm »
Matt - my concerns with support were also largely with sagging over time.  So, any mechanism that supports the surface would also need to resolve sagging over time.  Is this a valid concern?  I'm not really sure.  I've since been reconsidering just how much to worry about it, and have a number of support ideas to go with, when I pick this back up.  The screw thing you mention would be pretty good for airflow, but the lazy ass side of me would look for alternatives ;)  My current thoughts are to have some minor internal support of some kind, and ensure there is support around all edges.

typefighter - seriously, where were you a year ago!  Brilliant idea.

Gnurke

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 28, 2015, 10:40:27 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #94 on: January 05, 2015, 10:33:44 am »
Registered to post this. Sorry to pull this old thread out of hibernation. I just made my own air hockey table, and during my planning, this thread was an important source of information and ideas for me, and it is one of few sources of information that I could find at all. For this reason, I think it is good to contribute with my experience and ideas, so that others also looking for information will find it.
I took a lot of images of the process, and uploaded it to an imgur album: http://imgur.com/a/Dd1eQ
This I also posted to reddit.com, where I answered some questions: http://www.reddit.com/r/DIY/comments/2omui4/i_made_my_own_full_size_well_functioning_air/
I hope it will be of use to someone! :)

bfauska

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 28, 2023, 04:41:45 pm
  • "You're not wrong Walter, you're just an @##hole!"
« Reply #95 on: January 05, 2015, 02:26:32 pm »
That's a noble contribution Gnurke, and a nice looking table. I didn't see the table on Reddit so I'm glad you posted it here.

Air hockey tables, skeeball, shuffleboard, and video pins. I'm going to need more space if I ever get to build or own all the wonderful things this site makes me covet. Who knew that arcade cabinets were a gateway drug?

walkerrosewood

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 29, 2018, 03:55:09 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #96 on: January 29, 2018, 03:33:11 pm »
Hello.  I also registered just to post on this topic.  I realize it is 5 years old, but I too found this thread while researching DIY air hockey table.  I also stumbled upon Gnurke's reddit/imgur thread.  Both are by far the most valuable and accurate resources on the topic.    Honestly, I have no intentions of building anything soon (lot's of other projects to do first), but I like to have things researched and planned out well before even attempting to start building.   Getting the right blower motor seems to be the first step, so here's my question: 

Will an in-line duct fan work, like this one?  It's listed as 440cfm centrifugal, which seems to be right.  Also low noise, low profile, has a plug end on it already, and variable speed control which I guess would help with various pucks.  I looked at a lot of the squirrel cage type and they all seem to be hundreds of dollars for the higher cfm.  This one is under $60.   I'm no engineer, so the stuff about static pressure vs air flow fans is mostly over my head. 

https://www.amazon.com/VIVOSUN-Inline-Variable-Speed-Controller/dp/B01CTM0JF2/ref=pd_sbs_60_1?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B01CTM0JF2&pd_rd_r=3YMME9WS0FV7B8YTZSDD&pd_rd_w=Sd4qa&pd_rd_wg=SnIxM&refRID=3YMME9WS0FV7B8YTZSDD&th=1

Well anyway, even if no one responds, I at least wanted to bump this thread for anybody else scouring the internet for DIY air hockey.   Did the OP ever finish the build???
« Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 03:55:09 pm by walkerrosewood »