Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Power Supply Wiring?  (Read 1135 times)

zzaz3

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 12, 2012, 02:46:49 am
Power Supply Wiring?
« on: May 06, 2010, 10:16:24 pm »
I'm about to try and wire my power supply.  I've read about this on all different sites and I found a nice diagram too.  Usually I'm pretty good at figuring these things out, but since it's the power supply I thought I should ask for help first just to be safe.  I'm just confused about one thing.

Here's my diragram:

I understand most of it, except the OUT.  Which wires are which?  Where exactly should each one go?

Here's my setup:

And:

These are the wire's I'm confused about:

Also, one more quick question.  Does the Earth Gnd really matter?  What does it do?

scuba465

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 11, 2010, 04:20:16 am
Re: Power Supply Wiring?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2010, 03:13:05 am »
have you tried googling the numbers on the top to try to get a schematic for it? And if there is a company name stamped somewhere on it? That's where I would start. And if not get yourself a good volt meter if you don't already and test the leads. And as far as the ground, if it doesn't have one, I would at least ground of the case at one of the mounting bolts, just good practice.
Work less Play hard

zafdor

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 14, 2010, 11:17:59 am
Re: Power Supply Wiring?
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2010, 07:50:04 am »
I would have to say your pieces do not match your diagram.  The large square thing with the zinc (gold colored) plating appears to be a low frequency transformer, not a 'power distribution block'.  where did you get each of the parts?  The switching power supply should have a label from UL stating the input voltage and current requirements, which if you in the US would be 110V AC (the current will vary depending on its output power).  The monitor and Marquee fixture may as well.  I agree with the statement that you should look up the part number of stamped on the transformer. 

Earth ground can either be useless or critical.  In the case of the filter, the earth ground gives a place for the electrical noise to flow (rather then radiate).  It is wise to use the earth connection on anything that has a metal case that can be touched.  If there were a short of high voltage to the case and the earth is not in place, you will get shocked.  If the earth is in place, the moment the short to case happens, a fuse or circuit breaker will trip.

You would be wise to be cautious on this, power circuits are not always forgiving if wired wrong!