Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: another mala gamelist question....  (Read 5867 times)

thatgammon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 03, 2020, 05:25:03 am
another mala gamelist question....
« on: May 06, 2010, 06:10:37 am »
I've tried looking for the answer on here and there are a few who touch on it. Sorry if I missed it...

Am running 10 emus as well as Mame. All with the same layout (for continuity) with definable pics of each console/system emulated.

I am not using a tree as it done my head in a bit although I can see its benefits.

In the gamelist editor I've have had trouble renaming Roms in the other emus setting as renaming Roms then saving to specific gamelists doesn't seem to work (for me!!).

Some emus let me rename the actual Roms to what I want but for example model2 doesn't let me do that.

It seems I can edit a gamelist then save ok. Then when back in Mala it's back to how it was originally. (and yes have selected the gamelist that I edited)

Also loading a gamelist other than Mame's all games gives me a error of index out of bounds but then loads.

I'm sure this is so simple and I apologise in advance..

Any takers?

SGT

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 17, 2023, 08:29:42 pm
Re: another mala gamelist question....
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2010, 07:59:44 pm »
I am not sure I understand the question.  You want what is displayed in a game list changed, right? Are you saying you're changing the game name (not the rom name) while in the game list editor, and you're saving it, but when you go back in the change isn't there? Is the game list file set to read only by chance? 

thatgammon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2010, 05:26:35 am »
Yeah sorry am being a bit vague!!

Just want to edit my other emus gamelists so they show their full name and not what the rom is called.
(some let me rename the actual rom to what I want to get round this problem)

E.g. Sega Model 2,
Options, Gamelists
New gamelist, called it Sega Arcade
Edit gamelist,            (this returns an error of list index out of bounds, but still loads games in the Source section from All Games list)
 edit what I want then save. Have saved to mala directory AND emu directory and called it the name of the emu.

Still in the editor and All Games and Sega Arcade gamelist are there.
Sega Arcade list empty

Back to Mala and selected Sega Arcade list. Empty  :banghead:

I think I've missed some really simple rule on gamelists here. Please help!

... and no gamelist isn't read only, unless there is a  Mala setting for that, that I've missed.

SGT

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 17, 2023, 08:29:42 pm
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2010, 02:45:19 pm »
If you create a brand new game list and then don't put any games in it, you will get that error.  While viewing your main game list, right click to add the selected game to the Sega Arcade gamelist.  Then you should be able to go to the gamelist editor, edit the custom gamelist, right-click individual games (in the right window) and choose edit to get the option to rename games.

thatgammon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2010, 03:16:38 pm »
thanks man,

Yeah this does now add titles to my list. Although doesn't solve my problem

When I selected my edited list (sega arcade) it returns that error again. The roms that I added are there.
I edit them and resave only to find that they are as they were.  Also I've notice, when I make an edited MAME list and save, I notice in the save as files of type box has .mln selected. When I do it with a 'other emu' gamelist it doesn't. Could this be anything? Also has the game list  got to be called exactly what I called the emulator and where is the gamelist supposed to be. I've put in MALA directory AND emu direct. just to be sure.

Appreciate ya help.....
« Last Edit: May 09, 2010, 09:07:01 am by thatgammon »

thatgammon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2010, 08:53:54 am »
Help me Obi Wan...

...you're my only hope!!!!

R0UNDEYEZ

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2015, 03:39:15 am
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2010, 06:31:27 pm »
I've been noticing that same issue with trying to edit non mame gamelists giving me that out of bounds error as well.. so far it has seemed to work ok so I have been ignoring it, but I figure I should chime in to say I get the same glitch as well on my system

thatgammon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2010, 07:27:42 am »
glad to know it's not just me then.

I can't work out how to change the rom names in my sega model 2 gamelist.
Can make a custom list, edit the names to what I want.
After saving they are back to how they were originally.
Don't get it.

Thanks for your reply man, Also to SGT.

Please someone help. I'm sure I'm missing something well simple here. Apologies if I am....

Have had MALA for about 6 months. It's really good. Have got the emulator bug. Going to make a cab eventually. Just researching at the mo
Have got a few more questions but I will start new threads about them...

Just can't get my head around this gamelist problem.
Any takers?????

loadman

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 17, 2020, 03:23:55 am
  • Cocktail Cab owner and MaLa FE developer
    • MaLa
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2010, 07:47:44 pm »
Let's wait and see if the problem still exists for you all in the next beta release. If it does it will be a priority fix for me.

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 12:43:52 pm
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2010, 09:50:37 am »
old thread, but if someone is searching for info, here's a bit more.

I just successfully changed the names that are displayed for Sega Model 2 roms in the game lists.
(don't change the actual rom names!!)

The pitfall was probably the extension .mln  (n=emulator number, you must replace "n" with the number that mala assigned to the emulator)

Here's a rundown of what I did in the gamelist editor (it worked fine).

1.  Click the emulator tab & select the emulator that you want to make a gamelist for

2.  Click File>Open & take note of the extension of the "All Games" list.  
     It will be different for each emulator & varies depending on how many emulators you have.
     Sega Model 2 is .ml21 on mine.  (way too many emulators, most never played)

3.  Edit the list to your liking.  On the "Destination" side, double click the rom that you wish to change the name for.  
     Type in the NAME box the title you would like to show up in the list.
     Don't mess with the rom or path boxes.

4.  Click File>Save.  Make sure that under "save as file type" it says (whatever you named the emulator) gamelist files (*ml##).
     Where ## is the number of the emulator that you took note of in step 2.
     I typed the extension along with the file name just to be sure.

Here is an example:

« Last Edit: July 18, 2010, 09:57:39 am by BadMouth »