Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Question about Sony PVM and playing old games in RGB  (Read 13616 times)

midnightpulp

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 03, 2014, 11:48:19 pm
Question about Sony PVM and playing old games in RGB
« on: May 01, 2010, 09:48:53 pm »
Hi guys. Looking to play my old game consoles in wonderful RGB. Right now I'm running a scart cable into a scart-to-component converter (http://cgi.ebay.com/SCART-RGB-YUV-Component-Video-Converter-Transcoder-/370372660259?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item563bee4c23#ht_1609wt_1165/) into my LCD flatscreen with great results, a huge improvement over composite and even S-video.

However, I still prefer the look of CRTs for older games. Doing a search, found out about the Sony PVMs, which are coveted by retro gamers for their RGB capabilities. The PVM has 3 RGB BNC connectors along with an ext sync. Now, would I be able to run the 3 component cables (using RCA to BNC connectors, of course) into those 3 RGB connectors and forgo the ext sync? If not, would something like this do the trick? http://www.tvcables.co.uk/cgi-bin/tvcables/RGBS-SCART-ADAPTER.html]

Also, is the display of the PVMs a significant upgrade over say a TV like the Sony Triniton FD series or the Samsung slimfit?
« Last Edit: May 01, 2010, 09:51:50 pm by midnightpulp »

midnightpulp

• Offline Offline
Re: Question about Sony PVM and playing old games in RGB
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2010, 09:52:36 pm »
Post fixed  :)

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:48:34 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2010, 02:39:02 am »
no the "YUV component" lines have the sync info encoded in the "y" line (green). If the unit has an external sync line, you will need to use it.

on the other hand you could use the RGB of the unit to directly drive a monitor since the RGB and sync lines are what is being used there already.

midnightpulp

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2010, 06:24:18 am »
no the "YUV component" lines have the sync info encoded in the "y" line (green). If the unit has an external sync line, you will need to use it.

on the other hand you could use the RGB of the unit to directly drive a monitor since the RGB and sync lines are what is being used there already.

Thanks for the reply. Not sure I understand what you mean by the last sentence? Here's the rear of the monitor in question: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350348050230&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_4820wt_939

I believe these monitors also support component, so theoretically wouldn't I just be able to switch to component mode and hook up the 3 component lines without issue? That box I linked converts scart into YUV/Component as I'm sure you know.

Thanks again.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2010, 08:15:56 am by midnightpulp »

taylormadelv

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 18, 2019, 05:46:59 pm
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2010, 02:48:43 pm »
Those are broadcast television monitors, not regular "monitors or TV's" and they need an external vertical sync to display the picture properly. These monitors are "timed" aka "synched" to the building so that the picture doesn't roll or show the vertical interval (black bar) in the middle of your screen. If you press the menu button, eventually you will reach a closed captioning screen, this is a broadcast feature. You can also do blue gun only to configure the monitor with NTSC color bars. You may need a black burst generator to create sync. Horta used to make one.

melaus

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 05, 2010, 10:37:29 pm
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2010, 06:55:15 am »
I have a Sony PVM-2730QM Monitor in excellent condition and am about to retire it from regular TV from a Set Top Box S Video o/p and use it for gaming etc.

I thought before I do this that I would try it's capabilities on RGB by running "Component" RGB from a DVD player or Set Top Box and it won't fire up at all, but works fine on all other video inputs like composite and S Video.
The 2730's here in Australia only have Scart or 9 pin D-Sub to allow RGB connections, thus have tried a commercial Scart plug with RGB phono's as part of the plug assembly. I think I read on another part of the forum that some 2730's were supplied with 15 pin D style.

Should not this monitor accept a "Component" output from a normal domestic device or is the RGB spec a different situation?

Thanks in anticipation, these monitors are great and would really like to keep using it!

apfelanni

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 18, 2019, 01:55:28 pm
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2010, 04:34:24 pm »
in case ur australian 2730 are the same we have in europe it will do fine with rgb via the scart plug . solder a mamescart cable + soft 15 k or plug in any classic gaming console with rgb cable .  sony ps2 , sega saturn are doin fine . dunno if  yuv 2 rgb converters would work . i never checked it out , coz any device here is capable of rgb output .

yuv isnt included in scart signal specs . get a fitting cable for a few bucks and ur done . ps. the sony pvm and pgm monitors in europe and usa are using different inputs and plugs. the pic shows the 2730 i have in use for retro gaming.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SCART
« Last Edit: May 19, 2010, 05:16:28 pm by apfelanni »

melaus

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 05, 2010, 10:37:29 pm
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2010, 08:39:42 pm »
Many thanks for the reply:

The AUS PVM-2730QM is exacltly the same as pictured above, thus I imagine the Scart is the only way to get RGB in.

Acccording to the manual R-G-B in, is pins 15-11-7 grounded to the other pins indicated, thus getting back to testing this monitor with "Component" first up, should normal RGB ex a domestic DVD player or STB work, just to see if the monitor is up to the task. It is quite old but in pristine condition in all other respects.
Perhaps the other Scart I borrowed and tried before had the RGB configured to some other foreign standard. My fault, I should have metered the pin-outs before I returned it!

Paradroid

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2024, 04:50:06 pm
    • SCART Hunter
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2011, 05:41:21 pm »
Old thread, I know, but I have some questions about the Sony PVM-2730QM:

1. Does it happily sync to a wide range of vertical frequencies? Specifically, I'm looking for a monitor to use with GroovyMAME so I can play a wide range of games at the correct refresh rate. On the Loewe SCART TVs I've been using, I'm getting a perfect image for CPS1 games (Street Fighter 2, et al) but geometry issues for M72 games (R-Type, et al) that have a lower refresh rate.

2. Will the monitor operate correctly when turned on its side? I.e. can it be physically rotated in order to play vertical games?

Thanks!
My MAME/SCART/CRT blog: SCART Hunter

Paradroid

• Offline Offline
    • SCART Hunter
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2011, 07:35:04 pm »
Sorry... I forgot another question I had:

3. Does this monitor have the full compliment of geometry controls (H & V, amp & position, EW, Trap, etc.)?

apfelanni

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2011, 03:23:07 am »
so far i figured it out the 2730 pvm has lots of adjusting potis inside . i didnt find osd settings for geometry . my 2730 doesnt like to be tated ( same as my 2130 ) . he got a little discoloration and geometry issues . though the picture quality was very nice . the remote offers only basic functions .  

easier to setup is the bigger and modern brother 2950 pvm . all settings are done via osd on the front panel ( or the remote control if u prefer ) . it handles retro consoles and 15 k mame pc games very well . i havnt checked if tating causes a problem , but the vga pgm 2950 i use are doin fine in vertical position .

the sony 50/60 hertz trinitron tv sets offer the same quality picture + a nice osd. the main difference between tv and the studio crt is the casing , the quality of chassis and some smaller details like shielding , plugs etc. the tubes seem to be the same . all trinitrons offer the same brilliant colorful picture , no matter if its 14,21,25 or 29 inch . i d say for lowres retro gaming it beats the philips/ toshiba tv tube setups i use and my 2 superb nec 2960 . 
« Last Edit: December 03, 2011, 03:40:41 am by apfelanni »

Paradroid

• Offline Offline
    • SCART Hunter
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2011, 06:37:16 am »
Awesome info apfelanni! Highly appreciated! Considering your advice, perhaps I'll wait for an affordable 2950 rather than making a move on the cheaper 2730.

If you get a chance to try, I'd love to know whether the 2950 can be rotated without issue and whether or not it copes well with the variations of vertical refresh rates that Groovy MAME and the CRT_Emudriver pump out when switching between CPS1, Neo Geo and M72 games. They're the main ones I want to get running perfectly.

Really appreciate your first hand info! :)

apfelanni

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2011, 08:48:43 am »
ok .. i did some testing with some of my sonys .

- sony pvm 2130 .. 21 inch , scart input , composite , audio etc.  nice picture , little geometry and discoloration in tate mode ( same as 2730 ) . u have to keep in mind they there build for hori studio mode use .  
- sony pvm 2950  29 inch . modern osd , no noticable difference between hor and verti mode . this thing is huge and heavy . plugged via sub d > 5 bnc rgb connector . if wonna go the 29 inch road its a good choice , but i wont recommend it for cabbing , more the gaming room use . min distance id say 1 meter !  
- sony kv21x5d  21 inch , very good osd , good picture via rgb scart
- sony kv25x5d 25 inch medium size , good pic via scart ( my kv25 comes fresh out of my garage .. bought it for 10 euro 1 week ago ) . it can use a little more sharpness . think i have to check the focus .

difference between the studio crts and tv : the old broadcasting monitors have thicker and darker scanlines , compared to the tvs . the tube is extremely curved . modern trinitron tv tubes have less curved tubes / more like the common semi tubes . its formed like a drum/ barrel with flat sides . pro sony : nice ( trinitron style ) contrast and colors . but if u want the perfect geometry u should consider other manufactures . sonys often suffer from different types of geometry problems , but for acrade purpose most people wont even recognize it . i think the quality of a screen depends 1/3 on the the model u use ( quality of tube and chassis ), 1/3 the condition , hours of usage and 1/3 poor or perfect adjustment , cable and software setup. i took some shrinked shots with my cheapass cam  .

« Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 08:51:22 am by apfelanni »

Paradroid

• Offline Offline
    • SCART Hunter
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2011, 02:22:08 pm »
apfelanni, you are a gentleman and a scholar! Thanks so much for taking time out to test and photograph your results. This is exactly the kind of stuff I was hoping to read and see! :applaud: