Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Building "Galaga" and "Food Fight" cabs from scratch.  (Read 933 times)

Matchbox

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 06, 2010, 06:15:20 pm
Building "Galaga" and "Food Fight" cabs from scratch.
« on: May 03, 2010, 01:51:06 pm »
Hello everyone.

Alright, so a while ago, I purchased original "Galaga" and "Food Fight" PCBs. My goal was to build reproduction cabinets to use for competing on Twin Galaxies. I've been adamantly searching around for someone on the internet who has done something similar, but I can't seem to find anything. Every project that I've looked at has ended up being a MAME cabinet. I don't have anything against MAME, but I want to build dedicated cabinets using the original PCBs. I'd like to be able to compete in the real categories, instead of the MAME categories. There's a lot of good information in the restoration section, but not when trying to build a game from scratch (as far as my search goes). Has anyone tried something like this? As far as the electronics are concerned, I'm not sure what steps to take in order to create valid platforms for competition. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Matchbox

P.S. How are you supposed to take such a cute angry face seriously?  >:( Haha.

CheffoJeffo

• Cheffo's right! ---saint
  • Wiki Master
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 08, 2024, 03:49:06 pm
  • Worthless button pusher!
Re: Building "Galaga" and "Food Fight" cabs from scratch.
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2010, 02:20:39 pm »
The electronics are the easy part and are well-documented. have a look at the manuals for the games in question. (every source of manuals that I know of can be found in the restoration page of the BYOAC wiki.

Building repro cabs is nothing new (go to KLOV and look at DPTWiz's work as an example), although most of those who do it well do not publish their plans.
Working: Not Enough
Projects: Too Many
Progress: None

Matchbox

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 06, 2010, 06:15:20 pm
Re: Building "Galaga" and "Food Fight" cabs from scratch.
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2010, 08:44:06 pm »
Wish that I found that earlier! Thanks for the link!

After doing some more research, I think that I'm getting the hang of this.

Here's my plan so far for the "Galaga" cabinet. I'm planning on using a 19" computer monitor instead of a classic monitor. In order to get that to work, I'd probably have to get some sort of encoder. I was taking a look at some "RGB To VGA Converters," which would make sense to use. The only problem lies with the "video sync," which comes out of pin 4 from the 6P plug. Where would that connect to? What would be the easiest way to achieve this? There's also a possible "Galaga to Jamma" conversion, which might make things easier due to more available documentation. I'd like to avoid that if at all possible.

Next up is the power supply. It seems like a pain to use an original PSU, so I was planning on using a modern one instead. I think that something like this would fulfill the +12VDC and +5VDC requirements:

http://www.jammaboards.com/store/15a-arcade-switching-power-supply-110w/prod_251.html

Of course, the monitor that I'm planning on using consumes 130W, so I'll have to find another similar one. I'm just a little confused as to how the monitor would actually be powered. Would I need some sort of transformer to go from the PSU to the monitor?

Hopefully I'll get there at some point.  :D