Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: XBOX 360 3 red ring of death, comes and goes.  (Read 5077 times)

solidteezme

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 28, 2014, 08:01:48 am
  • Awesome!
XBOX 360 3 red ring of death, comes and goes.
« on: April 19, 2010, 03:26:11 am »
Yesterday i was playing on episodes from liberty city and my xbox cut out and displayed the 3 red lights, this is not the first time it has happened but each time if i turn the xbox off, unplug it, re-plug it back in, turn it back on and its fine.

Anyone else had this? ive searced but found nothing.

Im guessing its one the way out to be honest.

Solid,
╔══╦═╦═╦═╦╦╦═╦═╦═╦╦╗
╚╗╔╣═╣═╬═║╔╣═║╔╣═╣╔╝
─║║║═╣═╣═╣║║║║╚╣═╣║─
─╚╝╚═╩═╩═╩╝╚╩╩═╩═╩╝─

northerngames

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 09, 2016, 04:18:51 pm
Re: XBOX 360 3 red ring of death, comes and goes.
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2010, 08:18:07 am »
sounds like it is overheating and your getting lucky it dont stay stuck on.

try the 9 or 12V fan mod and remove both the metal grill and plastic grill away from the fans on back.

that should prevent it from getting that hot.

one of these times it is going to get so hot it's not going to work anymore and be stuck with the 3 rrod if you dont stop it from getting that hot.

solidteezme

• Offline Offline
  • Awesome!
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2010, 08:25:05 am »
I may do some modding, depends how bad it gets, but at the moment i can't see the point.
Might just trade it in at Gamestation or CEX while it still turns on sound, then it can be their problem. and i'll be wandering past with a PS3 in my hand.

:laugh2:

EDIT: I dont want to have to play through Fallout 3 again, hopefully the box will last that long.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 08:31:02 am by solidteezme »
╔══╦═╦═╦═╦╦╦═╦═╦═╦╦╗
╚╗╔╣═╣═╬═║╔╣═║╔╣═╣╔╝
─║║║═╣═╣═╣║║║║╚╣═╣║─
─╚╝╚═╩═╩═╩╝╚╩╩═╩═╩╝─

versapak

• Somewhere between a block of wood and a monkey
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 16, 2020, 02:42:43 pm
  • I am t3h GAY!!!
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2010, 08:44:38 am »
Overheating does not give the 3 red lights. It only gives 2.

I know I have had my 360 red ring after a power flicker. It could be your power supply is going bad.

or

It could just be that your console is slowly red ringing. It doesn't always happen all or nothing, but in the end every 360 meets that fate (Except maybe those with the falcon chipset).

solidteezme

• Offline Offline
  • Awesome!
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2010, 08:54:03 am »
Overheating does not give the 3 red lights. It only gives 2.

I know I have had my 360 red ring after a power flicker. It could be your power supply is going bad.

or

It could just be that your console is slowly red ringing. It doesn't always happen all or nothing, but in the end every 360 meets that fate (Except maybe those with the falcon chipset).

I think you could well be right, its bolloks how stuff is made today. Got my SNES still set up in my room, gets a blasting every now and again. And was still using a old dial tune TV from the seventies in the kitchen (no buttons, you have to turn a dial to find the right channel, kinda like a FM radio) up until very recently, it didn't break, just got replaced.
╔══╦═╦═╦═╦╦╦═╦═╦═╦╦╗
╚╗╔╣═╣═╬═║╔╣═║╔╣═╣╔╝
─║║║═╣═╣═╣║║║║╚╣═╣║─
─╚╝╚═╩═╩═╩╝╚╩╩═╩═╩╝─

northerngames

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 09, 2016, 04:18:51 pm
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2010, 06:19:02 pm »
all 5 launch console's from family, friends and I are still going strong today becuase I did the fan mod and posterboard trick from the start and never had any problems with any of them to date.

no freezing loss of video skipping overheating 3rod etc.

next time see if it does it in a few minutes and is still cool or see if it happens when it feels like a hair dryer blowing out the back.

if you gpu is not covered by the poster board the heat rise's straight up into your dvd drive and that can lead to many other problem's light's etc.

my money is still on it overheating.

xmod

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 04, 2013, 02:30:59 pm
  • SEGA 4 EVER
    • XmoD's VideoGame Collection
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2010, 07:13:44 pm »
Extensive overheating does give 2 red lights, but upon overheating components in the system, you will get 3.
Most people with problems and the 3 red lights is the result of an overheating component causing cold solder joints on either CPU, GPU or RAM chips.

1 Red light is the result of a problem with the video chip also known as the "hanna", you will sometimes be left with an error code on screen with E74 being the most common.

I would strongly suggest to get an internal cooling fan like the "Core Cooler"
http://www.divineo.com/cgi-bin/div-us/zz-360-xaof
It will bring the temperature down by a few degrees, I have had great results with such a product.

If you have any modding skills, you can even install a common 50mm PC fan in the same area.

xmod