Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: JTAG XBOX 360 VEWLIX  (Read 5333 times)

t0mbi

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 20, 2010, 11:59:10 am
JTAG XBOX 360 VEWLIX
« on: June 06, 2010, 09:10:39 pm »
hey all. long time lurker, first time poster.

After much consideration i have decided to put together a vewlix cabinet connected to a xbox 360 that has been JTAG'd

I am wanting all your opinions on this, or even your experience as i haven't done this before.
ArcadeWorx are going to be making the cabinet for me as i don't have to the tools to make a sandwich, let alone a mdf cabinet.

Here is why I'm using a 360:-

*I already have a spare one.
*I can get it JTAG'd by a mate
*I have a 60GB HDD laying around i can use it for.
*It has a HDMI port.
*it's a Falcon board. Now i no it's not RROD proof...but i will de-case it and add 2 120mm fans in the cabinet.
*i already have all the games i want (SSFIV, tekken 6, Soul Calibur IV, BlazBlue, KOFXII) and all the XBLA games i want as well (Soul Calibur, MvC2,SSF2HD, Puzzle Fighter, a few KOF, Samurai Showdown, metal Slug) among many others i can't name off the top of my head
*emulators available for the 360 are growing (SNES, Genesis, CPS3, MAME) There is also a CPS1/2,NG emulator getting the final touches on it right now.
*Quick to load up and shut down.
*A new customizable dashboard is being finalized (Freestyle Dash 2.0). I can customize the menus and set the console to launch directly into this.

My problems:-
*Getting the 360 wired controllers x2 PCB (have just sent HarumaN a PM regarding this)
*Sourcing the buttons i want from Australia, trying to buy local. But he doesn't have much stock (White 30mm Seimitsu buttons)
   has anyone got some feedback about Lizardlick.com? They were only ten bucks more.
*Even though i never will use the DVD drive( Copy games over via FTP) anyone know a way to extend the DVD tray button?

So yeah let me know what you guys think :P

shateredsoul

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 25, 2013, 08:23:51 pm
Re: JTAG XBOX 360 VEWLIX
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2010, 09:14:05 pm »
I think this is a great idea.. i've been waiting to hear about someone doing this kind of project with a 360, can't wait to see how your project turns out.

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 02, 2024, 07:42:30 pm
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2010, 12:19:18 am »
My problems:-
*Getting the 360 wired controllers x2 PCB (have just sent HarumaN a PM regarding this)
If you had the sense to contact HarumaN, then this isn't a problem. ;) Though he just had a baby, so you might have a delay on getting those PCB's.

*Sourcing the buttons i want from Australia, trying to buy local. But he doesn't have much stock (White 30mm Seimitsu buttons)
   has anyone got some feedback about Lizardlick.com? They were only ten bucks more.
LL is great. But if you're in aussie-land, you'd probably have better access and shipping from the Akihabara Shop, no?

t0mbi

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2010, 03:20:38 am »
Well, ill be looking at getting them in around a month so i hope he isn't as busy by then haha.

I might go through LL. They offer insurance and seem like everybody likes them.

t0mbi

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2010, 03:31:41 am »
Just looked up all the buttons and joysticks on Akihabarashop and it come to 11,930yen delivered not bad..not bad at all. Has anyone used them?

t0mbi

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2010, 05:14:03 am »
Can anyone tell me the best thickness of MDF for the 30mm Seimitsu threaded buttons? Whats enough for the nut to grab nicely? Cause they MDF is 16mm im guessing it will need to be routed.

XCVG

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 13, 2010, 11:25:54 pm
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2010, 11:29:45 am »
Yeah, I bought my buttons and sticks from Akihabarashop. It arrived surprisingly quick, coming from Japan and all. I live in Canada, BTW.

EDIT: I'm using 1/8" (I think) hardboard for my CP, but it's probably going to have support underneath. With a normal thickness of MDF, you're going to have to route it. I think the maximum depth for the threaded buttons is 8mm or so.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 11:31:17 am by XCVG »

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 02, 2024, 07:42:30 pm
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2010, 01:55:36 pm »
Just looked up all the buttons and joysticks on Akihabarashop and it come to 11,930yen delivered not bad..not bad at all. Has anyone used them?
Akihabarashop and LL are the only 2 places I will order my Sanwa or Seimitsu parts from. Both are great.  Akihabara has a bit more selection, but LL covers more in the realm of general Arcade building/repair.

Can anyone tell me the best thickness of MDF for the 30mm Seimitsu threaded buttons? Whats enough for the nut to grab nicely? Cause they MDF is 16mm im guessing it will need to be routed.
If you haven't already, read through this page: Slagcoin  It'll have information you need in regards to mounting different types of joysticks. Great resource.

emphatic

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 06:29:05 pm
  • -"Suck it, Donny!" -"No, YOU suck it.... more".
    • Emphatic's Video Game Collection
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2010, 02:46:28 pm »
I'd like to add to the praise for Akihabarashop. If you can't find stuff in the shop, just email them and they will try to find it for you. Ordering is very quick if you go for listed items, asking for extra stuff takes just a little bit longer. I bet they might have a real Vewlix panel in stock as well. Might be cheaper.

apfelanni

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 18, 2019, 01:55:28 pm
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2010, 04:05:00 pm »
vewlix + jtag 360 is a perfect match . played blaze blue and sc on a friends vewlix . the pic quality in 7xx is awesome . if u go for a selfbuild do some research for a fitting panel . it all stands and falls with the quality of the monitor .  if u like 2 have easy m2 mod 36o pcbs order the datel joystick via amazon . its cheap , dam small , pc, ps3 + 360 compatible and all common ground , in other words perfect for cabbing !!

http://www.amazon.de/PS3-Xbox360-Arcade-Pro-Joystick/dp/B00361GDJM          ... btw some weeks ago it was sold for 23 euro incl. shipping .

i also have plans of doin a cabinet conversion with a 360 and lcd screen . buying an original vewlix would burn my wallet .  for japanbuttons better build a panel of 1,5 - 2 mm steel or maybe aluminum .
« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 04:10:39 pm by apfelanni »

t0mbi

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2010, 01:02:38 am »
I cant go with a metal CP cause i dont how and where to get the metal piece and how to cut it..

Im just going to route underneath where the button holes are.

I will buy the buttons from Akihabarashop.. I also check their Vewlix CPs...more than double of what im getting for 1p only... :S

Cheers guys

yvoshkiro

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 22, 2010, 07:05:35 am
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2010, 05:01:14 am »
hey check out my arcade project , it might give you some ideas,

ive got also the jtag Xbox and i also bought a 15 meter Hdmi cable that goes to my Tv, so i can play games the usual way with the wireless controllers.

Grtz

HaRuMaN

• Supreme Solder King
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+45)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 22, 2024, 02:54:32 pm
  • boom
    • Arcade Madness
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2010, 09:55:36 am »
Yeah, I'm slowly getting caught up on controllers...  give me about another week, then send me a shout.   :cheers: