Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Basic question: which type of controllers can be used on Sega Lindbergh?  (Read 2587 times)

mickael28

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 01, 2020, 07:56:15 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Hi,

I was just seeing some of those yellow Sega Lindbergh devices today and not knowing much about arcade hardware just yet, I was wondering, what kind of controllers can one use there? I mean what is the name of the type of connection that goes into that box?

And do you know any good place to have a look at hardware accessories for this or other arcade devices. eg, to check guns, driving wheels, etc?

Many thanks.

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:40:39 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
Re: Basic question: which type of controllers can be used on Sega Lindbergh?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2018, 03:16:20 pm »
not sure what you are getting at. what kind of idea do you have in your head??

the Lindbergh system does use a standard computer motherboard with a P4 CPU...so if you want to repurpose the system, any standard computer peripheral will work with it.

as far as using other inputs like, for the original games, they usually port all the inputs into an IO board and then plug the IO board into the main system. so the IO board handles all the controls. that way they can keep the computer standard, but have game specific controls.

DeLuSioNal29

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 20, 2023, 11:39:06 pm
  • Build the impossible -"There is no Spoon"
    • DeLuSioNaL's YouTube Videos
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2018, 04:26:00 pm »
My buddy had a Lindbergh (he's since sold it) and he had a PS360 in there so that it would work with an Xbox 360, a PS3 and a PC.  He also had the original Naomi in there untouched in case he wanted to switch it back.

Here's a tutorial on installing it I found on Youtube:

I suppose you could also take a look at the Cthulhu PCB as well:
https://paradisearcadeshop.com/fgc-console-joystick/1828-toodles-mc-cthulhu.html

Hope this helps!

DeL
Stop by my Youtube channel and leave a comment:

mickael28

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2018, 09:29:38 pm »
not sure what you are getting at. what kind of idea do you have in your head??

the Lindbergh system does use a standard computer motherboard with a P4 CPU...so if you want to repurpose the system, any standard computer peripheral will work with it.

as far as using other inputs like, for the original games, they usually port all the inputs into an IO board and then plug the IO board into the main system. so the IO board handles all the controls. that way they can keep the computer standard, but have game specific controls.

I've never seen one in person, I thought it was not a standard PC, as in ... that it didn't have standard USB ports to recognise PC, PS3 or Xbox 360 controllers in there and it had only an IO board.
Does this then mean that if a Lindbergh has got USB controllers I could use USB controllers there directly, like driving wheels, light guns, xbox 360 controllers, etc?

My buddy had a Lindbergh (he's since sold it) and he had a PS360 in there so that it would work with an Xbox 360, a PS3 and a PC.  He also had the original Naomi in there untouched in case he wanted to switch it back.
That device is interesting... a couple of doubts:

1. but where does that device go installed? I thought in the Lindbergh itself? but the guy in the youtube video installs it on a controller itself, I got confused there...
2. Why did your friend had the original Naomi, ie, what could have he switch back in this case?

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:40:39 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2018, 04:29:26 pm »
on the outside, the lindbergh system is a custom unit with proprietary connections. it has wire headers and whatnot....but on the inside, it's just like any other PC. A motherboard, pentium CPU, RAM and so on.

my main question is, unless you HAVE one... why not just use a standard PC? there is nothing special about it other than it's ready to work with their software.

you can get a used PC that outperforms the lindbergh in every aspect for probably 40 or 50 bucks. the lindbergh computer runs a P4 3.0ghz CPU with 256mb of ram.  :dunno

mickael28

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2018, 06:33:43 am »
you can get a used PC that outperforms the lindbergh in every aspect for probably 40 or 50 bucks. the lindbergh computer runs a P4 3.0ghz CPU with 256mb of ram.  :dunno

Sorry, I think I've not explained properly what I had in mind, which I don't even know if it's a possibility.

Basically, I saw a few multi-boot Lindberghs that come on sale every now and then. At the moment I am using a standard PC for arcade games and as for the guns, I'm just using Wiimotes, quite far from a real arcade experience. I saw the only other good guns for PC where Aimtrak guns, which are pretty expensive for what they are (a wiimote clone more or less).

The idea of the lindbergh, and my main doubt at present, is what kind of ORIGINAL controllers, do they use? I guess that hardware has specific ports (which are not USB and I don't know what they are called - to be able to research which kind of original guns are available for this system). If one manage connect a real gun from an arcade machine (with proper recoil, weight, etc), then my next doubt would be how to make it work with my monitors/TVs, as I'm not sure if there's any kind of bezel that one can buy or create so that these guns can be used?