Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Bartop build...'Black Ops' finished (look at the pretty lights)  (Read 80833 times)

ninjasquirrel

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 14, 2020, 10:54:21 pm
Hey guys, I've been browsing for awhile now, keeping a low profile but soaking up all I can.  Extreme amount of knowledge and talent here and I thought I'd give my hand a try at a build.  First off I'm a artist/woodworking by trade and love the 'how to' aspect of all this stuff.  I've always been a gamer and who doesn't want their own arcade machine so without further adieu lets get this adventure started...

Ok so I wanted a portable unit so I can could tote the thing around to friends and family outings so a full size was out of the question.  It will be a 2-player bartop with a modern twist to it.  I prefer to break the mold some and not construct your typical bartop, or at least that's the plan.  I've got a rough sketch and idea of what I am wanting but more on that later.  As opposed to beginning the build topic with cabinet pictures etc, I've got detail pics to begin with.  I have ordered almost all of my parts which include:

2 competition joysticks
competition pushbuttons
standard concave pushbuttons (misc coin etc)
i-pac 2
ledwiz
a whole bunch of misc stuff I won't bore you with...

My first problem I encountered was (I know problem already : )  ) was that I couldn't make the control panel without the artwork being close to finished.  This is because I'm going to have button surrounds and curves etc and I am going to use a black and white print out as a template to cut parts out with.  So while I scratch my head on the big picture, I thought about beginning with something small, the illuminated pushbuttons.  I wanted them lit but not the entire button like the translucent ones offered many places.  I wanted just a 'ring' of light and with many thanks to Ond's retro build thread (thanks for the idea!) and a little thought I came up with this...(p.s. I used some scrap light sensitive plexi to achieve the glow more efficiently and one white led to light it)

So I did replicate the process Ond used to make my first button and let me tell you it was a pain in the buttox! Hats off to ya man!! Heres what it came out looking like after 3ish hours!!

So then I thought about a different way to cut the disks out besides by hand...and found an local engraving shop that has a laser cutter! Now here's what I had after they did their magic...

After the disks were cut out, I had to come up with a good way to cut my competition buttons at just the right place to maximize the glow effect and so you could see the plexi (so it wouldn't be totally hidden below the holder part) I have a table saw and came up with this simple little jig to hold the button in place while I cut it-

After the buttons were cut I then used sandpaper and a fat surface to smooth out the saw marks and scuff up the plexi disks so the glue would stick to them.  Then I used super glue and my fingers to line up the 3 pieces and glue them. After glue up I'm left with-

No matter how 'perfect' the laser cutter may be (which the disks are close to perfect but had a slight slant on the cut edge) after glue up I thought they needed to be filed and sanded to flush up the 3 sections-

After filing I was left with this-

Then by hand I sanded them using 220 grit sandpaper, then 400 grit, 600 grit, and after that I buffed with some compound and came up with-

That took awhile now all I have left to do is-

Oh well
Well here is one button filed, sanded, polished and lit up in daylight-

Oh and in case any wanted to know, that dowel REALLY helps when trying to sand these things by hand.  It's just a 5/8" dowel that I wet on the end to make it swell so it would fit snug in the button bottom.
Does anyone know of a good cheap plastic polish, I just can't get the original glossy shine the buttons used to have on the top.  It's close but I know I can get it better

This is my first real post so I hope I did all the image attachments correct. let me know if I need to fix anything to make it easier to read or see.
So that's my first post hope it gives you guys some ideas and stay tuned for more!
« Last Edit: January 05, 2013, 10:45:50 pm by ninjasquirrel »

ninjasquirrel

• Offline Offline
Re: Bartop build...let the story begin
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2010, 01:08:11 am »
Anyone know why are some of my pics small and some large? I saved all my pics at 600 x 450 and posted them on the correct thread to link to...hmmm....

edit: ok i linked to image not linked to link if that makes sense, it worked!
« Last Edit: March 28, 2010, 10:55:04 am by ninjasquirrel »

EwJ

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 12, 2022, 10:16:06 pm
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2010, 10:11:32 am »
Nice work.  Those buttons look awesome  :applaud:
I thought about beginning with something small, the illuminated pushbuttons
heh heh,sure.(If that's small, looking forward to seeing all the detail in the rest of the project).

It looks like you're one of the few who prefer the convex competition buttons.  Anything in particular that draws you to them?

Does anyone know of a good cheap plastic polish
  Have you tried Novus?

Anyone know why are some of my pics small and some large?
   :dunno but the small ones appear to be png's; the large jpg's.  :dunno

First off I'm a artist/woodworking by trade
2-player bartop with a modern twist to it
Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.  :cheers:

drventure

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 25, 2023, 02:23:57 pm
  • Laser Death Ray Bargain Bin! Make me an offer!
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2010, 10:52:39 am »
Nice job. I love the look of those ring illuminated buttons. Not a huge fan of the translucent buttons where the whole thing lights up. To me, that's just a little too much.

ninjasquirrel

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2010, 11:05:32 am »
ewj- thanks for the compliments! I like the 'quick' movement feel over the convex buttons.  Fighters seem easier where you can slide your fingers over them quicker and I seem to have less friction when depressing them.  Just personal reasons I guess  :) Don't get me wrong, I really like the concave for the old school games but prefer the comps for general all around play (I can't be too judgmental, this is my first build, so who knows what I TRULY like  ;D) I haven't tried novus but have heard comments about it before.  I think I might try to get some of it. Thanks for the suggestion

Dr Venture- Thanks, I think you were the first to suggest this method to Ond according to his thread so I should be thanking you!! Yeah and I really don't care for the whole button to be lit...just a little finesse is all it takes

On a second note, I have all but 4 buttons finished so I can see the light! Fingers started cramping last night so I threw in the towel.

Shortbus

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 26, 2023, 03:20:00 pm
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2010, 04:31:03 pm »
solid work, love the pictures! will be following this project.....thanks

ninjasquirrel

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2010, 12:28:40 pm »
Thanks shortbus, I hope to have a lot of pictures as I travel through this build.

Ok so as of today the buttons are pretty much completed, except for the final polishing with Novus once I get some, and the sketching is coming along, although slowly.  I think what I might do is get a general idea of what I'm after and work out the details as I build.  I usually don't work like that, but sometimes it's the only choice when it comes to working in 3-dimensional.  It also helps me in the design aspect when I can see ratios of parts to one another etc.

Since I do not have any build pics today, I thought I would give you something to look at to keep your interest.

My theme for this build is going to be centered around either World War II or possibly a modern military montage.  My grandfather was in WWII in the Pacific theater and drove some pretty high ranking men around in his jeep.  His 90th birthday was recently and I made him a model depicting his tour in the war...

So I might try to give the bartop an old, industrial look and feel to it, maybe throw in some war propaganda etc. Could be alot of fun depending on how it is accomplished...maybe even have a vs. theme against Hitler etc..
Before I forget this is the computer I have gutted and stole parts from-

It works out really nice with the cable attachment for the monitor and all.  I think it is a P4 2-3ish ghz, so it should be more than fine to run most games.  I have 2 hard drives that are 80gig, hopefully that is enough space! A wireless keyboard with built in mouse for admin when needed.

I'll try to get the sketches done and uploaded this week for critique.  At least the buttons are done though, it wasn't a total bust this past weekend!

bigpete405

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 30, 2014, 07:48:03 pm
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2010, 08:25:16 pm »
That model is awesome.  :cheers:

ninjasquirrel

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2010, 11:31:06 pm »
bigpete- thnx man, I had a lot of fun making that thing.  It's funny how you don't appreciate your elders, and what they did, until you grow up a little and realize how important those sacrifices were ! 

Well I am very close to deciding roughly where I want to go with this cabinet.  I'm leaning toward the smooth lines and compact look of a hybrid candy cab...but with 'my' twist to it.  Those viewlix cabs have a nice sleek look and don't seem to take up too much visual space.  Oh well I'll get back to scratching my head, geez...I'll eventually have a worthwhile pic.

Ond

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 18, 2024, 11:41:19 pm
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2010, 04:56:26 pm »
Nice work on the buttons :), I especially like the black / yellow glow ring combination.  To get plastic back to its original shine I use automotive cutting compound and a soft rag followed by light buffing with a dremel polishing disk.  If you have used fairly coarse sand papers etc to shape something you may find after sanding and polishing you're still left with fine scratch lines.  The only way to get rid of them is to work back through those very fine grades of sandpaper (800 - 1500 grit) and re-polish.  I look forward to seeing the cab design.

:cheers:

Ond
« Last Edit: April 01, 2010, 05:00:27 pm by Ond »

Nacimroc

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 20, 2015, 03:46:25 pm
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2010, 08:31:58 pm »

I'd give my left nut for a set of them buttons! Really nice job!! :applaud:

ninjasquirrel

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2010, 12:52:01 am »
ond- thnx for the comments and suggestions...I was afraid of the inevitable.  That's actually what I got, the paste polish stuff for cars, I knew I might have to go back and resand, I'll take a little break and come back to them once the cab is under way.

nacimroc- hehe...the hardest part was making the discs but once I found the engraver to cut them they weren't bad at all. Just a little time consuming.  Looking at your thread (nice job by the way!) you shouldn't have much trouble with them.  After I'm done with the whole project, let me see how many I have left (disks), I might be able to hook you up with some if you are still interested.

I'm going to post a sketch tomorrow of the cab design...very rough but it gets the point across.  Of course we all know it will probably change while I make the thing but it's a start  ;)

SpaceHedgehog

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 06, 2023, 12:10:24 pm
  • Almost done ...
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2010, 03:48:26 am »
That diorama is awsome!!  :applaud:  :applaud: I used to do a lot of that and I know how difficult and time consuming it is. Good luck with the build.
Click a pic for a video tour 

ninjasquirrel

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2010, 12:19:21 pm »
appreciate the compliment spacehedgehog...it kind of consumes you once you start!

Well after many revisions and thrown away paper, I have decided to simplify the bartop design.  Once I get going on the build, I will make improvements and revisions but here is a very quick sketch of my latest idea...

There will be a smooth curve from the transition between the cp and screen and also between the screen and marquee.  Speakers will be placed in the curve between the cp and screen.  Player 1 & 2 will also be in the curve with the light sensitive plexi on either side (the plexi will light when player 1 & 2 buttons need to be pressed.  The coin inserts will be in the front on a slanted platform with usb breakouts below them (if I can fit them in there). Pretty simple I know but it's all about learning the first time around.

Next I quickly 'smashed' it down in autocad to give myself a template to work from and made a simply side view-

My button layout is a mix between what I found on slagcoin, a little of t3design's project, and my personal feel-

So my biggest problem will be trying to shove all my guts into this thing. Quick question...can I mount hardrives any orientation (besides horizontal-standard, or vertical)? I mean will it mess up the needle writing over time?
Any comments or suggestions welcomed.  I should start this bad boy saturday!
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 12:55:31 pm by ninjasquirrel »

TEKNYNE

« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2010, 07:23:48 pm »
You should be fine with the hard drives, current drives read/write head do not touch the media and weird orientations do not affect them.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 07:25:30 pm by TEKNYNE »

bigpete405

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 30, 2014, 07:48:03 pm
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2010, 08:10:48 pm »
The hardest part is going to be mointing the powersupply. I had half an inch to spare on mine, hopefully they make a small one you can use.  :cheers:

ninjasquirrel

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2010, 10:51:57 pm »
That's good news about the hard drives, I was thinking it would be ok but thanks for the reassurance.  And as far as the power supply...good and bad news there.  It's a brick power supply much like the xbox 360 one, so it will be outside of the cab all together.  Nice as far as space goes, but bad to have to lug that thing around.  I guess it won't be so bad though...and just in case, I might be able to find one of those mini power supplies and figure a way to 'rig' it and place it inside somewhere.
Here is a pic of the behemoth brick-

ninjasquirrel

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2010, 11:02:17 pm »
After a short vacation out of town it's time to get back to work.
I almost have the first part of the cp completely done.  The first step was to transfer my cad drawing to the mdf I used for my cp.  To do this I printed it out at 1:1 scale with a grid pattern overlayed on top the drawing.  By doing this I was able to hold each sheet up to a window, put the next one on top of it, line up the grid and tape the two together.  After doing this for the whole drawing I came up with this-

I marked the centers of all the radius and transferred them to the mdf, after taping the whole picture down to the wood, with a drill bit-

By marking the centers of all radius, it was easy to use my router with a simple circle template jig to transfer all the curves to the mdf-

After all the curves had been rough cut with a jig saw and final cut with my router, I then used my 1 1/8" forstner bit to drill out the pushbutton holes and came out with this-

The next step was to make a template guide to cut out the joystick holes.  I simply attached some 1/2" scrap ply to a piece of 1/4" ply the exact size of the joys base. 

Then I transferred the template to the correct location on the cp.  By rough cutting this hole with a jig saw and screwing the template down, I then used my router with a pattern bit and final cut the hole out.

After the final rout I came out with a nice tight fit-

I'm using 1/2" mdf because it's what I had already in the garage, and because I will doubling it up in many places to create a 1" cp area.

ninjasquirrel

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2010, 11:14:34 pm »
So after the cp had been roughed out, the next step was to laminate it.  I am laminating the cp so that I can curve the sections that need a tight radius by kerf cutting the mdf all the way through to the laminate.  I tried to kerf cut without laminate on a test piece and it kept breaking no matter how deep the kerf was.  I hope that makes sense!  Here is the small materials list needed to get the job done-

I had a piece of scrap laminate with a nice earth tone texture on it and it was a perfect size for the cp-

It was easy enough to laminate the piece after turning it upside down and jumping on it to secure the pieces together  ;)  Here's where I'm at right now, it still needs to be kerf cut but it's pretty close!

I went ahead and printed the side view out to scale like the cp and will begin cutting those two pieces out this weekend.  Then after kerf cutting the cp it will be bent and attached to the side parts.
There will be many steps in this little bartop, and alot of head scratching  ;D I'm already not looking forward to the transition between the side panels and the curve of the speakers!  I might have to get the fiber glass out...geeeeze what a mess...

Bender

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 28, 2016, 08:12:21 pm
    • Happ to Tron Conversion tutorial
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2010, 10:14:34 am »
I like this project but I'm a little confused
Are you going to bend that piece of laminated mdf somehow so it's like your sketches, and how on earth are you going to do that?
*scratches  head*

Hewskie

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 27, 2018, 02:45:42 am
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2010, 06:21:44 pm »
He's going to "kerf" cut it. Cut slots in the MDF from the back side all the way through, so technically, only the laminate will have to bend (at least I think that's your plan). Great work so far, love the design.

Keep up the good work!

Hewskie

ninjasquirrel

• Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2010, 09:38:47 pm »
bender- hey, yeah it's exactly what hewskie said, I kerf cut the mdf all the way to the laminate.  In this way only the laminate will have to bend

Hewskie- thnx for following and helping explain, you are dead on

Well I was able to get a little done today.  So after I had the cp laminated, the next step was to attach the second piece of 1/2" mdf to the bottom of the cp to give extra strength to the controls area.  It also allowed me to use the straight edge on the bottom to make my kerf cuts.  So here is the first pic of the attached extra piece-

And like Hewskie was explaining, here is the kerf cutting I was describing, I did this both behind the speaker section and at the top between the screen and marquee-

A close up of the kerfing-

Just to see what kind of radius I could achieve, I gave the laminate a little bend-

I was scared to push it too far because I knew it wouldn't give me the exact curve I needed, so next I got the torch out and heated the laminate from the front.  By warming the laminate it makes it more pliable and I was able to get the 4" radius needed to match my sketch.  No picture of this but you'll see it soon enough attached to the side pieces...speaking of which here is a glimpse of one of them-

Next on the list of things to do is to rout out for the screen, marquee, etc while it is still flat.  As soon as it is bent I won't be able use my router effectively on it because of the curves.  I'm going to have a little problem with the location of the buttons and how they interfere with the side pieces that rest directly under the cp panel.  I should be able to relieve cut the side pieces to allow the pushbutton nuts and switches clearance, I'll just have to work that part out as I go along.  More to come...

Hewskie

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 27, 2018, 02:45:42 am
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2010, 10:03:42 pm »
Very cool! Any time you introduce curves into a design it just looks so much more professional. Keep those pics coming you ninja!

Hewskie

javeryh

• Online Online
  • Last login:Today at 11:59:39 am
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2010, 10:09:02 pm »
Damn you really are a ninja.  Looking awesome.  Did you just use the tablesaw to make the kerf cuts?  They look very accurate.   :cheers:

ninjasquirrel

• Offline Offline
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2010, 11:46:30 pm »
thnx guys...yeah javeryh I just simply used the tablesaw.  Tricky part was supporting the piece, the further I cut it, the more flimsy it became because all that was holding it was the laminate.  Easy solution though, I just put a dummy 1/2" piece of mdf on the left of the saw blade under the cp and pushed it along with the entire cp assembly as I cut.

emphatic

• Online Online
  • Last login:Today at 11:58:29 am
  • -"Suck it, Donny!" -"No, YOU suck it.... more".
    • Emphatic's Video Game Collection
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2010, 06:27:31 am »
 :notworthy:

Stunning work!

Shortbus

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 26, 2023, 03:20:00 pm
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2010, 06:51:32 am »
wow! that is original and very cool, I never thought of that, thats why this site is the best, just when you think you've seen it all, poof....

thanks for sharing, following with envy! great work!

:applaud:

Bender

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 28, 2016, 08:12:21 pm
    • Happ to Tron Conversion tutorial
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2010, 10:51:08 am »
WOW! :cheers: :cheers:

That's sweet, I would never have thought of laminating THEN bending, great solution!
I've done some bending of laminate but always over a piece that was already curved and I can tell you it is extremely difficult and a pain in the  :censored:
This opens up some more design possibilities for me
Thanks!

EDIT: come to think of it Mountain's production Jukeboxes use the same principle, and I still didn't put the concept together till I saw this
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 01:05:23 pm by Bender »

ninjasquirrel

• Offline Offline
« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2010, 12:07:53 am »
Glad you guys are following...it keeps the fire alive!

Well, I had a little issue withe the area between the marquee and screen today.  I started putting a chamfer (45 degree bevel) on the front side of the cp including the screen area and the marquee and that went well, but once I started to rout out the back side for the screen, the kerfing began to blow out and it chewed up some of the mdf. Here's a pic-

Although the picture doesn't make it look too bad, it did distort the chamfer on the front side and definitely wouldn't work.
After considering my options, I came up with a fairly easy solution.  I used my router and cleaned out all of the kerfing in that section down to the laminate.  Then by doing some tricky measuring, I found where the laminate needed to be bent to create the angle I needed.  Next I made a poplar 'spacer' that had the correct angle transferred to it.

So by making that wood spacer, it forces the laminate to bend so that the spacer would fit into the opening.  I had to heat the laminate again with a torch so that it wouldn't snap during the sharp bend.  Then I got out my 2-ton epoxy, smeared it all over the place, and clamped the heck out of it.

After the glue set and I removed it from the clamps, I was left with this (you can also the 45 degree bevel on the front in this pic)

I have some cleaning and touch ups to do but you get the point.  The valley where the bend is came out pretty good...it has a little unevenness to it but I'm happy with it.  The entire laminate section will be covered in a graphic so any small adjustments can be made with bondo etc without too much stress.

jmike

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 26, 2023, 05:14:03 am
« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2010, 07:05:03 am »
 :applaud:   :applaud:
     This is absolutely amazing! Can't wait for the next step. Just remember to take plenty of pics.

Great job

:cheers:

mountain

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 11:42:28 am
    • Mountain Jukeboxes
« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2010, 08:19:51 am »
Looking good. I love the curves. How are you going to transition from the front panel to the sides?

ninjasquirrel

• Offline Offline
« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2010, 12:24:05 pm »
Well mountain that is where it gets a little fuzzy  ;D
The 2 sides will be flush with the outside of the cp near the marquee (see red line depicting side panel below)
The bottom piece of mdf that creates the 1" area will have a rabbet in it to accept wacky wood, that will bend all the way around the lower part of the cp and up to the speaker section.  The problem occurs when trying to transition from the wacky wood to the side panels.  I'll have to figure that part as I go along...might have to do some fiberglassing or some other crazy mess.

On another note I'm hoping that the radius between the control area and screen goes ok.  I'm thinking that I'll have to screw through the front (through the laminate etc) and into the side panels to secure them.  But when it comes to the curve section, (because there really isn't anything solid there because of the kerfs) I'm guessing I'll have to get some pvc pipe with a close enough radius and use it to help bend the laminate into the correct shape.  So the order of the sandwich will be side panel, kerfed cp, then the pvc to hold it against the sides.  And before I take the pvc away, I'll have to fill in the kerfs with something to eliminate spring back and to strengthen it.  Bondo or resin would probably work ok, any suggestions? I hope this all makes sense, it's hard to describe what's floating in my head on this project  :banghead:

ammitz

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 25, 2017, 07:22:09 am
« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2010, 02:16:14 pm »
Nice build, have just bookmarked it so i can keep an eye on your progress.
Building my first bartop CAB

ninjasquirrel

• Offline Offline
« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2010, 11:55:41 pm »
Alright small but promising update.
Tonight I built the second side panel, finished routing out the bottom piece of 1/2" mdf to match the top (minus a 3/8" rabbet allowance for the wacky wood), and dry fit the front panel to the sides to see if I could get the tight bend to curve for me...it did, good news.  I had a small tear in the mdf near the screen area but I have already patched that so things are looking promising.  Sorry no pics tonight, it got to late and too dark but I'll post them tomorrow with more updates hopefully!

ninjasquirrel

• Offline Offline
« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2010, 11:13:44 pm »
Well I made some progress today...I finally have 3-dimensional bartop.  The front control panel is attached to the sides! So let's start with the two side panels that have relief cuts for button clearance, and are attached together with a piece of poplar (this also helps support the curve in that area)

Before I attached the front to the sides I realized that I hadn't routed out clearance for the screen in the new hardwood piece so I quickly jigged that up and routed down to the correct depth.

I also needed to rabbet out the bottom of the cp for the wacky wood so I made it 1/2" deep and 3/8" wide (the thickness of the wacky)

So finally I was able to get this thing together.  But as I was attaching the front to the sides, the thin area at the bottom of the screen area began to 'bow' in and created 2 little cracks in the mdf.  The pic shows the bow and if you look close at both sides of the screen area you can see the cracks.  The clamps are loosely tightened to keep the crack from growing.

And here is a pic with the clamps tightened, and 2 dummy boards just to keep the laminated straight for the time being.

I think if I make a temporary hardwood backer to help support the tension and then fix and sand the imperfections I should be ok.  Then once the lcd screen is in it will hold the bow straight...hopefully   :P
I wonder if rot resist would harden the mdf enough to help support it, or just make it more fragile causing somewhere else to crack...suggestion?  Hindsight, I should have made a hardwood piece here too, like in the marquee area.  Oh well, I'll fix it up

And here are a couple pics of where I'm at right now

I'm still actually scratching my head on the transition between the wacky wood and the side panels...
How quick are any of you guys at sketchup  >:D  I might need a little help with that when the time comes.  I tried it awhile back, but it's been forever and I know it would take me forever to draw that up.

So next will be the wacky wood and the very bottom panel of the bartop where everything is mounted to.

GameOver

• That's right. I'm Abe Froman.
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 11, 2013, 06:54:31 pm
  • Got a quarter?
    • Check out my cab!
« Reply #35 on: April 15, 2010, 12:01:25 am »
Nice work ninja.  Top notch!

Is it just me, or is this build starting to look a little phallic? A bit like a nut sack?

gryhnd

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 22, 2018, 10:48:58 am
« Reply #36 on: April 15, 2010, 08:26:09 am »
Nice work ninja.  Top notch!

Is it just me, or is this build starting to look a little phallic? A bit like a nut sack?

Looked  like a guitar body to me at first glance this morning :)  Or a giant dog cookie!

Looks really good. Love the curves.
In progress: Rat Rod Jukebox ** 99% Complete **
Completed: The Island Cocktail, and here
Completed: No Name Upright

javeryh

• Online Online
  • Last login:Today at 11:59:39 am
« Reply #37 on: April 15, 2010, 09:00:26 am »
Well, squirrels do like nuts.  Not sure about ninjas though.

Franco B

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 09:14:06 am
« Reply #38 on: April 15, 2010, 11:12:20 am »
I don't care what you say, this thing is the nuts!  :afro:  :applaud:

Seriously... awseome... shizzle.

ninjasquirrel

• Offline Offline