Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Melamine Faced Chipboard  (Read 4143 times)

Knightlore

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 04, 2014, 07:44:55 am
Melamine Faced Chipboard
« on: June 21, 2011, 04:55:15 am »
Hi, due to my lack of woodwork skills for my second cab I have decided to go the kit route. 

I've found a guy on Ebay that ships ready built cocktail cabs for 190 quid delivered.  They look pretty decent to me, just wondered what you guys thought of MFC.  Is it sturdy enough?  I was too young to be interested back then, but thinking of it weren't the old original cabs built out of this stuff?

Anyway, let me know what you think please - here's a picture :

Knightlore

• Offline Offline
Re: Melamine Faced Chipboard
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2011, 07:24:40 am »
Forgot to mention, this is what is included also :

1 x BLACK COCKTAIL SIT-DOWN CABINET (FULLY ASSEMBLED)
2 x SPEAKERS
2 X SPEAKER WIRING
1 x LAMINATED 2 PLAYER CONTROL PANEL
1 x 1 PLAYER BUTTON
1 x 2 PLAYER BUTTON
2 x BUTTON SWITCHES
1 x LCD MONITOR BRACKET

Knightlore

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2011, 02:55:33 pm »
Anyone please?  Fingers hovering over the buy button.  Just need to hear those magical words of confidence in MFC and I'll be a happy buyer.  ;)

jmike

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 26, 2023, 05:14:03 am
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2011, 07:00:00 am »
I really don't know about the MFC, but if that's what the old arcades were made of then it should last a while. (I mean some of those old arcades are still holding up)

Most people around here don't like that control panel setup for their cocktail arcades. Not sure if it's the lack of elbow room or what. Do you have the Ebay link? Was just wondering about the dimensions.

I'm actually working on my own cocktail arcade and using the same black with chrome t-molding setup.

:cheers:

Knightlore

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2011, 02:50:14 pm »
Hi, thanks for replying. 

Here's a link to the auction :

Dimensions are somewhere on that page :

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250826218119&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

jimmy2x2x

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 19, 2018, 01:29:48 am
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2011, 01:40:51 am »
Looks like its good value, its a little strange to have the controls side by side when the top is cut out for head to head play on the other sides.

Knightlore

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2011, 02:24:41 am »
Hmm I see what you mean, that area is normally rounded off on these cabs.  Well I think I'll buy one.  If anything it will teach me to wire up a cocktail and then maybe next project I can get the tools/try and build an upright.

jimmy2x2x

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 19, 2018, 01:29:48 am
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2011, 02:27:11 am »
One last thing to consider is the top glass, I would bet it would be quite expensive to get a toughened piece cut to the dimensions of the top - then you have to fix the glass to the top.

jmike

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 26, 2023, 05:14:03 am
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2011, 07:24:11 am »
Hmm I see what you mean, that area is normally rounded off on these cabs.  Well I think I'll buy one.  If anything it will teach me to wire up a cocktail and then maybe next project I can get the tools/try and build an upright.

I'm thinking you were leaning toward buying one in the first place  ;D. Not a bad deal but in my opinion, this isn't even a cocktail arcade, the control panel setup is like an upright with the screen facing up. You said you built an arcade before, how did it turn out? I'm sure you can build one of these. The design isn't that difficult, plus you can have the control panel where you want it. (Just my 2¢)

Knightlore

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2011, 04:45:21 pm »
One last thing to consider is the top glass, I would bet it would be quite expensive to get a toughened piece cut to the dimensions of the top - then you have to fix the glass to the top.

Hi, I've got a family member who runs a glass company so can get that done for free :)

Knightlore

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2011, 04:50:25 pm »

I'm thinking you were leaning toward buying one in the first place  ;D. Not a bad deal but in my opinion, this isn't even a cocktail arcade, the control panel setup is like an upright with the screen facing up. You said you built an arcade before, how did it turn out? I'm sure you can build one of these. The design isn't that difficult, plus you can have the control panel where you want it. (Just my 2¢)

Thanks for your input, yes I probablly was lol.  At any rate it's not available on Ebay at the moment, I guess he'll relist, only 1/5 sold.

Well, I didn't technically build the Bartop, I got someone else to do all the hard work.  I just wired it all up/setup the front end, which I have no problem with.  But I've never been good with tools, I can't even put a shelf up properly!