Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: R-TYPE Themed Bartop - "R-CADE" *DONE (for the most part)*  (Read 49704 times)

kyoke

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 17, 2013, 11:50:44 am
R-TYPE Themed Bartop - "R-CADE" *DONE (for the most part)*
« on: March 18, 2010, 11:51:21 pm »
First post and a cabinet announcement! Hi folks, brand-new to the site and am way addicted.

I've been working on the artwork for my bartop cab since August and have finally gotten around to posting here. I've been pretty hesitant actually because there's so much good work on here that I'm almost embarassed.  :P

As you can see from the images below, I'm making an R-TYPE Themed bartop cabinet, based on an existing cabinet design (WeeCade). I chose the WeeCade because it was one of the nicest, smallest bartop designs I've seen, and I don't feel like making my own cabinet design until I've built one from a tried-and-true plan first.

The Marquee and Side Panel artwork came from original R-TYPE flyer art that I vectorized in Illustrator. The R-CADE title was something I put together using Illustrator and Photoshop, based on the original on-screen "R-TYPE" title. Actually, the vectorization process for the Side Panel is what took the longest amount of time, as it required a ridiculous amount of gradient meshing to get right. Overall, quite fun and a great learning experience.

Looking for some feedback and design advice if anyone has time to give it!

I'm highly critical of myself and think the Marquee might be too noisy (I originally wanted to do JUST the starry background and the R-CADE Title, but the ship is pretty necessary to the theme and doesn't really fit anywhere else). I'm pretty happy with the Side Panel, but do realize it probably needs some more touch-ups before final printing, and I like the Control Panel design (kind of like a spaceship control panel, I guess).

I don't have a lot of tools ('cept for a hand sander and a drill) so I had the side panels laser cut by Laser Alliance in Milpitas, CA. It was quite affordable and painless ($20 a panel). I have since sanded them until they're glossy smooth and I can see my reflection in 'em. I'm going for the piano black, lacquered look. I'll put a pic of those up in a future post.

I went for a 6-button layout, which looks a little crammed for two players, but I have to play those fighters and I think it'll work out okay. I purchased and bought two U360 joysticks and can't wait to get 'em installed.

I'm very much enjoying the synergy and support on this forum, it has made the experience very enjoyable. Thanks all!

Update: I played with the colors of the Side Panel artwork in Photoshop to bring out details, shadows, and highlights. The bright light of the eye is much more obvious now and I think the whole thing stands out more. Bring on the comments if you've got 'em folks!

Another Update: I checked back on the marquee and found that it was too tall, so I changed it around a bit. I removed the "speedlines" because they looked way too noisy to me. The grey bars at the top and bottom of the image indicate the marquee retainer. The bottom marquee is the most recent update, with the ship being a lot bigger.

Before:

After:

« Last Edit: August 07, 2011, 10:34:41 pm by kyoke »
Work in Progress: R-TYPE Themed Bartop - "R-CADE"

Epyx

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 25, 2023, 07:56:36 pm
  • "You're an oddity"
Re: R-TYPE Themed Bartop - "R-TYPE"
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2010, 11:54:58 pm »
An awesome game and theme to build a bartop around. I don't mind the marquee at all. The only thing I would consider is that your marquee retainer will likely block some of the lower and upper portions of your artwork. If you already know what type of retainer size you are going with, adjust the artwork of the ship and tentacle arm so they are not obscured too much.

Gl!
Last Project

Epyx Tutorials:
Tutorials

Ginsu Victim

• Yeah, owning a MAME cab only leads to owning real ones. MAME just isn't good enough. It's a gateway drug.
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 08, 2023, 02:40:58 pm
  • Comanche, OK -- USA
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2010, 11:58:44 pm »
The only thing I would consider is that your marquee retainer will likely block some of the lower and upper portions of your artwork. If you already know what type of retainer size you are going with, adjust the artwork of the ship and tentacle arm so they are not obscured too much.

+1

Definitely want to adjust that art to make room for the retainers.

BurgerKingDiamond

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 01, 2021, 11:12:14 am
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2010, 01:51:21 am »
YES! Awesome theme. I'm bookmarking this for sure. That side panel definitely looks like it took a lot of work. My one suggestion would be to possibly see if you can make the artwork look less "flat". I don't know if that's the right way to put it. Maybe more blurry around the edges... What I mean is like the difference between playing a game on a LED monitor and playing on a CRT. The CRT makes it look more pixelated I guess, which is more authentic to an old game like this. I realize you did it in Illustrator though, and that it is kind of the nature of vectorizing to have very sharp defined edges though. I don't know what other kind of effects within Illustrator that you can apply.

Don't get me wrong though, it still looks great the way it is now. It's just a personal preference.
-Welcome to the Fantasy Zone.

BurgerKingDiamond

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2010, 01:55:00 am »
I may be thinking of it too much from the standpoint of the in game graphics though, when the artwork should be judged by a different standard since it has a different purpose. :blah: :blah: :blah: :dunno

kyoke

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2010, 11:08:46 am »
Thanks for the advice everyone! Looking forward to posting more on of my progress.

An awesome game and theme to build a bartop around. I don't mind the marquee at all. The only thing I would consider is that your marquee retainer will likely block some of the lower and upper portions of your artwork. If you already know what type of retainer size you are going with, adjust the artwork of the ship and tentacle arm so they are not obscured too much.

Gl!

+1

Definitely want to adjust that art to make room for the retainers.

Epyx and Ginsu Victim: Thanks for the tip, I hadn't thought of this at all! Wow, I'm glad I hopped on here because that's definitely something I would have overlooked until it was too late!

YES! Awesome theme. I'm bookmarking this for sure. That side panel definitely looks like it took a lot of work. My one suggestion would be to possibly see if you can make the artwork look less "flat". I don't know if that's the right way to put it. Maybe more blurry around the edges... What I mean is like the difference between playing a game on a LED monitor and playing on a CRT. The CRT makes it look more pixelated I guess, which is more authentic to an old game like this. I realize you did it in Illustrator though, and that it is kind of the nature of vectorizing to have very sharp defined edges though. I don't know what other kind of effects within Illustrator that you can apply.

Don't get me wrong though, it still looks great the way it is now. It's just a personal preference.

BurgerKingDiamond, I see exactly what you mean, and yeah, that is the nature of Illustrator. Maybe I can play around with some effects to obscure/blur the edges to prevent the image from "popping" too much. Will submit something later!

kyoke

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2010, 11:18:41 am »
Another quickie so folks can see what I'm looking to accomplish (mostly for the edges, top, and back, since there will be no T-Molding and the Side Panel artwork will be covering the outside). I love the glossy piano black.

This is a really nice tutorial. It doesn't mention sanding the MDF surfaces and edges beforehand, but I think it makes every difference in the world. I was absolutely amazed when sanding the MDF panels using 600 grit sandpaper what the difference was. I could actually see a faint reflection of the MDF's surroundings once sanded and it felt like GLASS.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/construction-tips/83141-how-high-gloss-finishing.html

Epyx

• Offline Offline
  • "You're an oddity"
Re: R-TYPE Themed Bartop - "R-CADE"
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2010, 11:52:54 am »
Another great project for paint finishing perfection is Javeryh's Bella's Arcade

Although as he has pointed out numerous times since...it can turn you off of the elbow work required for perfect finishes for a *long* time :D
Last Project

Epyx Tutorials:
Tutorials

kyoke

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2010, 11:57:49 am »
Another great project for paint finishing perfection is Javeryh's Bella's Arcade

This was a great spot too, which is how I found the link to the piano black finishing! Super good tutorial.

rablack97

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 11, 2022, 06:50:10 pm
  • If you don't try, you have no chance at innovation
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2010, 12:53:50 pm »
Check out Gamester's writeup as well, he had some good tips and he painted the entire cab with a mirror finish.

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=94891.160

I tried it an ultimately failed, wish I would have looked at the diy audio tutorial first though.  Had major issues with the sanding part.

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 07:31:21 pm
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2010, 12:57:16 pm »
Lots of great lookin' bartops being working on lately, kinda makes me want to make one myself!
I like the R-Type theme, great game, cool alien art. R-type and Life Force were my favourite side-scrollers way back when. Ah good memories.

As for the side-art, I'm with BurgerKingDiamond on this one. The art looks good, but it just feels a bit flat to me as well. (puts on artist hat)It has that Illustrator/Flash look that you might want to avoid, I'd spruce it up a bit to give it more depth. My advice would be to play with the contrast of the image, darkening and adding shadows are key here, but don't just add black (common mistake with artwork, people think black is the key to shadowing...wrong!), try experimenting with a darker blue tone like navy-blue, (blue and orange are complementary colours and should work well) and keep cognizant of where your light source is. I see that underneath all your objects you haven't added any shadow falloff, (in lots of areas like the eyeballs, and inside that round mechanical crevice) you can try adding it there, as right now IMO that's where the source of the "flatness effect" is happening. Also, I'd add a few more highlights, especially to the alien's eye, a small circle of white would work well for that specular shine.
Another thing I'd do is clean up the background tentacles, right now you've got them blending overtop of each other, giving the cross-sections a brighter additive effect. I'd avoid this, as it draws your eyes to the light spots, rather than having a more "muted" background element. Keep them in the same tone, also play with the gradual transparency of these, so  the tentacle sort-of fades away from the foreground image as it goes down the length of it. This would give more depth and a subtle 3D effect.  (takes off artist hat)

All in all, this is a great start, but before you print it you may want to consider a couple more passes on the art.
I'll comment more later, I'm late for work right now, so I gotta run!

keep up the good progress!
 :cheers:

BurgerKingDiamond

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2010, 01:19:48 pm »
I forgot to mention how sweet the R-CADE logo is in particular.

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2010, 04:12:52 pm »
I took the liberty and loaded up the side art in good ol' photoshop, just to give you an idea of what I was talking about:

Obviously I just roughed it out, if you were to go this route, you'd probably make it look a lot more clean than what  I just threw together here.

All I did was mess with the contrast of the original image, then applied some shadowing and highlights across the entire thing. After that, I made the background image blend out a bit, so that you get the illusion of depth.

I hope this helps!

kyoke

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2010, 04:17:15 pm »
Thanks Opt2Not for the awesome artwork advice, and I just saw your mock-up!

Agreed that it does look somewhat flat. The image certainly "pops" more in Illustrator, and could be a color conversion issue in PNG. I made some changes to the lighting of some of the tail orbs and added some other details and resubmitted the image (up top on the first post). Also, the image is higher res and allows a better zoom-in to see the finer details (I noticed the first PNG kinda sucked).

Illustrator is a tad sparse when it comes to adjusting the contrast of the image overall and may require Photoshop Intervention, which is what I was hoping to avoid to allow perfect conversion to a PDF for final printing. It will probably be a necessary evil! but may not matter if I can make a large enough image. The other benefit of using Illustrator for the art has been the teeny file sizes!

For reference, here's a link to the original flyer artwork on Arcade Flyers: http://arcadeflyers.com/?page=flyer&db=videodb&id=921&image=4

One thing I noticed is that the original flyer looks very Flash/Illustrator-ish too, but definitely has more depth and shadow. Thanks again for the great advice and feedback everyone!

:blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah:

kyoke

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2010, 04:29:25 pm »
I forgot to mention how sweet the R-CADE logo is in particular.

Thanks BurgerKingDiamond, I have got to say I enjoyed putting this together more than anything and was really satisfied with the result.

The process was fun too. I found a font that resembled the original R-TYPE onscreen title font as closely as possible, then cut it up in Photoshop to get the dimensions, the curling "R", and the bullet/hyphen. Once I had the path I wanted, I exported the path from Photoshop and imported into Illustrator (thinking I'd be able to do the whole thing there). Once I realized I couldn't get the 3D/lighting/chrome effect I needed in Illustrator, I brought it back into Photoshop as a Vector Smart Object and tweaked the hell out of it with Bevel/Satin/Levels/Lighting Sources until I had what I needed. Oddly enough I couldn't get the contrast I needed in Photoshop, so I opened the PSD in Preview (on an Apple) and tweaked the contrast there.

I wish I had screenshot the process back in August when I was originally working on it, but didn't think I'd find this forum and never thought I'd actually post!

I just updated all PNG files above for better detail. Thanks again!

TEKNYNE

« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2010, 11:04:24 pm »
Dude this little bartop looks like it off to a good start. R-TYPE is one of my all time favorite games. I love the side art and marquee. And I like the control panel art layout with the exception that it feels a little flat? Seems like you could bring the lines and shapes out more 3 dimensional like the rest of the art. Just a thought.

I will be watching this one.

Epyx

• Offline Offline
  • "You're an oddity"
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2010, 11:26:32 pm »
I like what Opt2not did with the shades of orange...makes me think this bartop would look fantastic with orange T-Molding...not sure what you had in mind but I think orange would look slick.
Last Project

Epyx Tutorials:
Tutorials

TEKNYNE

« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2010, 11:33:13 pm »
I will second the orange T-Molding. Seems very fitting.

kyoke

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2010, 12:31:06 am »
Dude this little bartop looks like it off to a good start. R-TYPE is one of my all time favorite games. I love the side art and marquee. And I like the control panel art layout with the exception that it feels a little flat? Seems like you could bring the lines and shapes out more 3 dimensional like the rest of the art. Just a thought.

TEKNYNE: Thanks for the compliments! R-TYPE is just rockin' in all respects, which is why I wanted to go with it. I think I know what you mean regarding the control panel. My challenge is getting the colored graphics to stand out above the background and it seems to "hover." It definitely needs some work. I'll do some more tweaking to see if I can make it pop off the page more!

I like what Opt2not did with the shades of orange...makes me think this bartop would look fantastic with orange T-Molding...not sure what you had in mind but I think orange would look slick.

Epyx and TEKNYNE: Man, orange T-Molding would look awesome! Unfortunately the ends are routed with a small radius already, which prevents the T-Molding from working. I think I have to stick with glossy black lacquered wood!

zorg

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 19, 2022, 09:00:38 am
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2010, 09:11:12 am »
Unfortunately the ends are routed with a small radius already, which prevents the T-Molding from working.

NOP !!!!!
I'm on the planning stage

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2010, 12:01:38 pm »
Unfortunately the ends are routed with a small radius already, which prevents the T-Molding from working.

I'm not sure what you mean...are you talking about the angle of contour down around the corners are too sharp?  or did you get the edges chamfered or rounded?

If you're referring to the former, that's not an issue, you can get the t-molding to bend around any angle if you just v-cut spaces in the molding teeth...

kyoke

• Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2010, 12:57:20 pm »

I'm not sure what you mean...are you talking about the angle of contour down around the corners are too sharp?  or did you get the edges chamfered or rounded?

If you're referring to the former, that's not an issue, you can get the t-molding to bend around any angle if you just v-cut spaces in the molding teeth...

Zorg and opt2not: Nope, the latter! The edges themselves are rounded already; I would have to re-sand a bunch just to get it back to a point where I could use a T-Mold!   :dizzy:

gaijinking

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 13, 2015, 09:17:57 pm
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2010, 05:06:19 pm »
I can't wait to see this project finished!! R-type is still my favorite horizontal shooter.

kyoke

• Offline Offline
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2010, 07:35:47 pm »
I can't wait to see this project finished!! R-type is still my favorite horizontal shooter.

gaijinking: Agreed on both sentiments! Thanks for the cheers! I'm working on the cabinet itself now, will post pics later this evening.

...darkening and adding shadows are key here, but don't just add black (common mistake with artwork, people think black is the key to shadowing...wrong!), try experimenting with a darker blue tone like navy-blue, (blue and orange are complementary colours and should work well) and keep cognizant of where your light source is.

opt2not: Since you have become my "Artwork Mentor" :applaud: , here's an Artwork Update! - I'm playing around with the burn/dodge tools in Photoshop, which are sweet because I can make custom brushes for certain "difficult areas" and so it doesn't look like I'm just going hog-wild with a round brush! I will be posting some edited PNGs later as well. Thanks again!

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2010, 10:15:06 pm »
opt2not: Since you have become my "Artwork Mentor" :applaud: , here's an Artwork Update! - I'm playing around with the burn/dodge tools in Photoshop, which are sweet because I can make custom brushes for certain "difficult areas" and so it doesn't look like I'm just going hog-wild with a round brush! I will be posting some edited PNGs later as well. Thanks again!
Nice! Can't wait to see it. Yeah, I like photoshop for small prints like this.
If you keep your image high enough resolution  (300 ppi) you shouldn't need to worry about the image not being sharp enough on your surface area. It's advisable to use Illustrator/Vector art if you're working on a full-sized cabinet.

kyoke

• Offline Offline
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2010, 01:52:36 am »
Small update, as promised...

For sheer entertainment purposes, here's my makeshift workbench; luckily I am not making a full-sized cabinet otherwise I'd need a hell of a lot more space.

Here's what I was able to accomplish today in about and hour and a half (I worked today otherwise I would have gotten a lot more work done). I'm not very good with woodwork, but I was able to glue and screw the batons (moldings) in place without punching holes through the side panels.

Tomorrow I'm going to sand the back, bottom, top, and speaker panels, and glue/screw the bottom, and top panels in place. Getting antsy, want to get this project goin!
« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 02:02:59 am by kyoke »

saleem

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 07, 2012, 08:03:39 am
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2010, 09:31:25 am »
i take it you are painting this project?

would have looked nice with laminate on,i love the stuff now that i started using it.you will never get a finish like you would with laminate.downside is everything has to be laminated before fitting,so you have to measure,cut,get the fit then laminate and then secure it to the cab.slows the build down but,by heck its lovely to use when you handle it right and the finish it first class.
:)

TEKNYNE

« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2010, 01:31:39 am »
Just curious what buttons are you using or do you have them yet? Thinking the Orange Nova Gem 2 would look good when they are released if you do not have any yet. To tie everything together and stand out from the typical black.

kyoke

• Offline Offline
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2010, 12:08:57 pm »
Just curious what buttons are you using or do you have them yet? Thinking the Orange Nova Gem 2 would look good when they are released if you do not have any yet. To tie everything together and stand out from the typical black.

That's a great idea! It means I might have to change the CP color scheme a little bit (since the buttons I had originally chosen are red). I was planning on going with the Happ Competition Pushbuttons, but know I have more flexibility in choice because of the metal CP. Do you have a link? I'm scouring right now for the Nova Gem 2s.

Edit: yikes, just saw the NovaGem 1s on GGG, holy frijoles $5.75/ea.! Agreed that LED everything would look pretty awesome.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2010, 12:24:30 pm by kyoke »

kyoke

• Offline Offline
« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2010, 01:08:32 pm »
I can't believe how easy it is to feel like "the project is coming along quite nicely" once you get all the panels primed.

I'm using an oil-based primer/sealant to prevent moisture wicking. I'm being stupidly meticulous about it too, but it will be worth it when all is said and done and I don't ever have to worry about the MDF warping.

Oh, and I made the jackass mistake of "wringing out" the ultrafine foam roller with my hands, without paint thinner or solvent to wash my hands afterward. I had to use olive oil and salt to get it all out and I think I was standing in front of the sink for 45 minutes...

Lesson: don't be an idiot like me!

kyoke

• Offline Offline
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2010, 02:24:09 am »
GRRRRRRRR..... :angry:

Delayed: put first coat of primer on all panels separately this past week.

Today I got around to sanding the first coat using 220 grit paper and a hand sander. To my shock and dismay, due to my 1/4 sheet sander's foam pad starting to break down I completely !#$#&@ my panels. Also found that the MDF I bought at Home Depot is starting to warp and peel on the edges.

Looks like I'm back to square one with the panels (thankfully not the side panels). Went to OSH today and found, surprisingly, that their MDF is of significantly higher quality. I'm going to be purchasing a new panel and am going to re-cut, prime, sand them.

Artwork update this week.

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2010, 02:31:39 am »
I'm going to be purchasing a new panel and am going to re-cut, prime, sand them.
Are you going with the rounded painted edges again? Or going with orange t-molding?  ;)

kyoke

• Offline Offline
« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2010, 09:41:22 am »
opt2not: I actually didn't start on the side panel sanding, I started with the back, bottom and top as "guinea pigs." Glad I did. Sorry, no orange T-molding. I will likely be going with metallic black for the outside; want to fit in with the "Vastness of Space" theme.

kyoke

• Offline Offline
« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2010, 03:48:04 pm »
CONUNDRUM - Figuring out the guts.

I was planning on using the board and chip pictured here, which came in a Dell I have from 1 year ago. Problem: it requires a proprietary heatsink and fan assembly specific to this model of Dell (a Dimension e560). Reason I want to use this: it's fully functional, it's a decent chip (2.14GHz Intel C2D), it has 2GB of RAM already, and it's free! From the picture you can probably see that the chip is mounted diagonally and will not accept a standard heatsink/fan. The proprietary assembly I mentioned earlier is way too large to fit in the extremely tight constraints of this cab. What options do I have, experts?

Gamester

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 01, 2019, 03:00:10 pm
« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2010, 04:22:29 pm »
Worst case, just pull the CPU and RAM and pick up a new motherboard from Newegg for $30-$40...

I know that suggestion doesn't fit in your 'free' category, but it's still a pretty cheap solution.
Current Project:                                                       First Project:

HaRuMaN

• Supreme Solder King
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+45)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 27, 2024, 07:37:53 pm
  • boom
    • Arcade Madness
« Reply #35 on: March 31, 2010, 04:24:38 pm »
Any way you can cut the heatsink / fan unit down some?  What does it look like?

kyoke

• Offline Offline
« Reply #36 on: March 31, 2010, 05:01:32 pm »
Gamester: Thanks for the recommendation. That's what I'm looking into, as it may be the only real solution. I'm currently looking at Mini-ITX boards, which is 6.75" x 6.75" vs. this board which is approximately 10" x 10". My next concern is the GPU. A Mini-ITX mobo with decent integrated GPU is $100+. Maybe integrated isn't the way to go. I -do- have an extra 256MB nVidia card I can utilize as long as it fits.

I noticed that lokesen's WeeCade (whose design I am using) is housing a Micro-ATX board (10x10) and figured that I could glean major amounts of space  with the smaller board.

HarumaN: Here's the behemoth of a Dell proprietary heatsink/mounting bracket. The fan assembly is ridiculous. it takes up 1/3 of the front of the case.

HaRuMaN

• Supreme Solder King
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+45)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 27, 2024, 07:37:53 pm
  • boom
    • Arcade Madness
« Reply #37 on: March 31, 2010, 05:08:45 pm »
So it looks like the original fan sits perpendicular to the mobo?

kyoke

• Offline Offline
« Reply #38 on: April 01, 2010, 02:48:00 am »
So it looks like the original fan sits perpendicular to the mobo?

Yessir, it does indeed. The option would be to cut a hole in the back of the cabinet to accommodate the fan, but it would look really.... janky.

ChurchOfSolipsism

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 09, 2023, 01:43:39 pm
« Reply #39 on: April 01, 2010, 08:35:04 am »
I swear I've had the exact same idea for a theme, including the name! Actually, I was pretty surprised that no one had come up with the same idea at that point... anyway, I'm really looking forward to seeing the end product; the design is great and I  bet the whole thing's gonna rock. Keep us updated!