Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Introducing New (Enhanced) MaLa Game List Editor  (Read 90464 times)

thund3rstruck

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 16, 2011, 11:09:27 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: Introducing New (Enhanced) MaLa Game List Editor
« Reply #40 on: September 07, 2011, 06:35:32 pm »
Sorry for the delayed response markronz, I contribute to a boatload of open source projects.

Can you provide the steps to reproduce the problem? The exception: 'Sequence Contains No Elements' is a LINQ error which means the application is executing a query for which the query result is null.

In any event, if I can reproduce your issue then I'll be glad to fix it.

--EDIT--

Yup, silly me... I was using Regular Expressions to pluck games from the database and they don't like ()[]\^. This bug should be resolved in v1.0.0.1 (link on main page).

« Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 11:21:55 am by thund3rstruck »

dexxy

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2012, 05:52:36 pm
« Reply #41 on: October 16, 2011, 09:55:01 am »
Just an FYI that the link to the fixed version doesn't work.
If its interesting I'm interested!

thund3rstruck

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 16, 2011, 11:09:27 am
« Reply #42 on: October 16, 2011, 11:09:27 am »
Just an FYI that the link to the fixed version doesn't work.

Working fine here. In any event, I changed the link just in case. 

Hitek

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 29, 2013, 07:20:25 pm
« Reply #43 on: November 02, 2011, 12:58:12 am »
Any reason this wouldn't be able to display the controls or Players columns properly? I'm trying to create lists for like, trackball games or 4 player games, and when I select those columns, they show up completely empty. I have checked the mame.xml file and the data is there, it just doesn't show up in your editor.

Thanks,
Keith

Hitek

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 29, 2013, 07:20:25 pm
« Reply #44 on: November 19, 2011, 09:01:51 pm »
Still looking for an answer.

NOP

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 19, 2017, 08:22:27 pm
  • I stole my avatar.
    • winterMAME
« Reply #45 on: November 21, 2011, 09:24:12 am »
>I'm trying to create lists for like, trackball games or 4 player games

You could do that with romlister.  I'm not trying to hijack this thread, but doing what you want to do is exactly why romlister was born in the first place.
http://www.waste.org/~winkles/ROMLister

sjorspion

« Reply #46 on: February 14, 2012, 06:09:44 pm »
First of All great tool! :applaud:
An option to edit/adding the Genre/Players or other info for the roms would be nice....:angel:

drventure

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 25, 2023, 02:23:57 pm
  • Laser Death Ray Bargain Bin! Make me an offer!
« Reply #47 on: August 29, 2012, 12:54:06 pm »
I was just giving the mlgconverter a run through, converting my All Games mlg file. I know there's about 2600 entries in it, but the tool appears to get drastically slower as it worked through the list, clicking off the first hundred entries in just a few seconds, but my the time it got down about 2-400 entries in, each entry was taking more than a second.

Still, looks like a pretty handy app.

raungst

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 14, 2016, 03:05:40 pm
« Reply #48 on: March 13, 2013, 10:41:36 am »
For anyone interested, these are the entries that you HAVE to have mlgconverter make a working mlg. The first two lines are the rom name as they appear in the directory. "description" is what you want to appear in the MaLa game list. romPath is the path to the folder that this rom is in, with trailing /. "extension" is just the rom extension, without period.

[RomFileNameWithoutExtension]
name=
description=
romPath=
extension=

bmanbdaman

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 09, 2018, 10:03:23 pm
« Reply #49 on: March 27, 2013, 06:15:42 pm »
This works great, however there are some parms missing that are defined in Mala.

InputButtons:         Integer;
InputCoins:           Integer;
Year:                 Integer;
VideoWidth:           Integer;
VideoHeight:          Integer;

gemini6920@hotmail.com

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 26, 2016, 06:29:56 pm
« Reply #50 on: November 05, 2014, 12:21:14 am »
I know this is an old thread but just wanted to say this game list editor really helped me with setting up my game list.
Thank You

bman83

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 22, 2014, 06:43:01 am
« Reply #51 on: November 19, 2014, 05:20:21 am »
Hi I am running WINDOWS 7 64 BIT as a test machine to setup my MALA front end on a xxxx-in-1 machine.

I cannot get the MaLaGamesListEditor to run.ing

I have NET FRAMEWORK 4.0 RUNNING.

I have tried the compatibility mode with xp sp3 and admin permissions and I cannot get the program to run. I am using MAME 0.151

PLEASE HELP

Amra

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 31, 2023, 05:22:46 am
  • Save a tree, Eat a beaver!
« Reply #52 on: March 11, 2015, 08:19:58 am »
I spend a couple days working with this program and finally got it to work with newer versions of MAME and figured I would give a quick run down of what I did to get it to work.

NOTE - I am using Windows XP 32 Bit with MS .NET Framework 4.0, and the program did crash on me MANY times, but I would simply re-try, and eventually it would work.

I used this method for MAME V0.159, and used the CATVER.INI that I downloaded from http://www.progettoemma.net/?catlist

----

STEP 1: Use the mame executable to create an XML file.  I did mine by opening a command prompt (Run CMD) and typing "mame -listxml >mame.xml" (without the quotes)

STEP 2: Download and unzip the Catver.ini file. NOTE. The Catver.ini file you will get also contains version information, and is formatted slightly different than the versions this program was built for, so we will need to modify the INI file in order to make it usable in this game list editor.

STEP 2A: Open Catver.ini in Notepad or Wordpad (might as well use Wordpad since you need it for STEP 2B), and scroll about halfway down. There will be a blank line, then "[Veradded]", then the list begins again only with the version of MAME each game was added.  Delete everything from this point down, its not needed for the Game List Editor and will just slow down parsing and increase the chance of the program crashing.

STEP 2B: IMPORTANT - Now, in Wordpad (I tried notebook, but it just locks up, wordpad worked great), click Edit and click Replace. In the 'Find what' textbox put " = " i.e. space equals-sign space, (dont add parenthesis), and in the 'Replace with' textbox put "=" i.e. just equals-sign, (dont add parenthesis). Basically, we need to remove the space before and after all of the equal signs, the program was written for older versions of the Catver.ini files, and the older versions didnt have those spaces, so the program wont work.

STEP 3. Move the catver.ini file into the Mala Gamelist Editor directory and overwrite the one that is currently there.

STEP 4. Run the program, follow the prompt and find the mame.xml file you created earlier, then allow it to load.  When it finishes loading it will ask you if you want to load the Genre information, click yes and wait.  At this point it will begin parsing the INI File, this is also the point where the program often crashed on me. If it crashes, just reload and when it finishes loading the xml it will again ask if you want to add the Genre info, keep doing this eventually it will work.

-----

If you need to change to a different mame.xml (for whatever reason) just open malagamelisteditor.ini file and delete the entry for MAMEDB=. Just delete anything after the = sign and save, and next time you load the program it will ask you to find the xml file.

Hopefully this saves someone a little bit of time.  I found this program quite useful for making a more detailed tree/gamelist in Mala, which helps me get to specific games *very* quickly.

Good luck!
Save a Tree, Eat a Beaver!