Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Set-up: "How to" guide (install and configure emulators, plus Visual Pinball)  (Read 119938 times)

IG-88

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 09, 2023, 08:29:46 am
Well, I wanted to run just a Turbo Graphics emu only. However Mala requires Mame in order to set itself up. Asks for a XML (or some such) file IIRC. If you don't have Mame on your computer it won't continue it's setup.
"I know what a HAL 9000 is... I was wondering if HAL 7600 was his retarded cousin or something..."
-HarumaN

Gray_Area

• -Banned-
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 23, 2013, 06:52:30 pm
  • -Banned-
Well, I wanted to run just a Turbo Graphics emu only. However Mala requires Mame in order to set itself up. Asks for a XML (or some such) file IIRC. If you don't have Mame on your computer it won't continue it's setup.

That's no problem. I have a machine that runs about twenty games, a mix of MAME and Daphne (where I'm using lnk files to call up either emu). I have MAME on there, but the emu list selected is an 'other emu'. Stays there until, or if, I select MAME, which I never do.
-Banned-

Gray_Area

• -Banned-
  • Offline Offline
  • -Banned-
unclet has graciously updated his original posting with the links to later tutorials within this thread, so that you don't have to look for them.
-Banned-

xefned

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 07, 2021, 01:28:30 pm
  • Unearthing ancient threads is my special skill.
    • Matthew's projects
Many thanks unclet! I'm a newcomer to almost everything here, including windows, so this guide is appreciated with great hugeness.

For those without the ability to open .txt files, I've created a PDF copy of v1.8.

edit: hey wait, how'd you do that? 1.8 isn't even out yet. Is there a public beta?
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 07:05:30 pm by xefned »

Searching for Zwackery, not because it's rare, because it's fun.

Gray_Area

• -Banned-
  • Offline Offline
  • -Banned-
Many thanks unclet! I'm a newcomer to almost everything here, including windows, so this guide is appreciated with great hugeness.

For those without the ability to open .txt files, I've created a PDF copy of v1.8.

edit: hey wait, how'd you do that? 1.8 isn't even out yet. Is there a public beta?

Everybody can open txt files. Some files, like this one, were done in wordpad. Notepad, which kinda blows for all but very rudimentary stuff, can't interpret the formatting.

The version number doesn't match Mala version number.
-Banned-

xefned

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 07, 2021, 01:28:30 pm
  • Unearthing ancient threads is my special skill.
    • Matthew's projects
Everybody can open txt files. Some files, like this one, were done in wordpad. Notepad, which kinda blows for all but very rudimentary stuff, can't interpret the formatting.

I'll have a Windows machine soon; intel processor is shipped and will arrive on Friday. While waiting, I'm getting up to speed on available front ends, compiling mame, etc.

The version number doesn't match Mala version number.

Thanks, I considered that, but noticed the title in the word doc says v1.3, while the filename is labeled 1.8. You can understand my confusion. Thanks for the correction.

Searching for Zwackery, not because it's rare, because it's fun.

Gray_Area

• -Banned-
  • Offline Offline
  • -Banned-
Thanks, I considered that, but noticed the title in the word doc says v1.3, while the filename is labeled 1.8. You can understand my confusion. Thanks for the correction.

Does it? Guess I missed that.  I saw no-sing!

((Loves yous kittaes))
-Banned-

spystyle

• Thanks alot, now I have to build a time machine and warn myself yesterday!
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 23, 2021, 02:30:18 pm
Thanks, I just started reading this.

It's  DOC file, I prefer to read things with my web browser (FireFox) so I can zoom in and out. So I converted it to HTML, find it attached if you like.

I got to the part that says to make a bunch of folders, I made a batch file from the text to create the folders quickly, attached also.

Then it occurred to me that the folders could be uploaded in a zip file, so I did that too, it's attached.

OK, now let's see if I can get MALA working :)

larkinja

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 21, 2013, 07:37:25 pm
Hi Guys,

Been using Mala for some time now on a quite old machine.  Nothing fancy setup wise, just mame and nes.  Everything was simple to set up no problems.  I believe it was version 173.  Mame version was 141. No fancy setup, just the basics. Machine finally died, so I got new hardware.  Now have a AMD A10 processor, 16gb ram.  Also took the opportunity to build a new 4 player control panel (using a 2 player with trackball tank stick prior).  Anyway, did a fresh install with Windows 7 Pro 64bit.  Downloaded the current Mala 1.74, and mame64 (would just like to start completely fresh).  Started up Mala for the first time.  Specified the Mala64 appication, and when it went to create the ini file, it failed.  It reported an error "Attempt to create c:\.......\mame\mame64.ini file failed".  After hitting okay, it seemed to create the xml file okay.

Searched the forum here and found a few vague references to this but no real discussions.  Is this a mame issue or a mala issue, or both?  Not sure what to do from here.

Anyone have any idea what is going on here?  Any help would be greatly appreciated!

IG-88

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 09, 2023, 08:29:46 am
Did you happen to go and check to see if it did create it anyways? Will it run at all?
"I know what a HAL 9000 is... I was wondering if HAL 7600 was his retarded cousin or something..."
-HarumaN

striyka

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 11, 2020, 04:46:13 am
Thanks, I just started reading this.

It's  DOC file, I prefer to read things with my web browser (FireFox) so I can zoom in and out. So I converted it to HTML, find it attached if you like.

I got to the part that says to make a bunch of folders, I made a batch file from the text to create the folders quickly, attached also.

Then it occurred to me that the folders could be uploaded in a zip file, so I did that too, it's attached.

OK, now let's see if I can get MALA working :)

I need a frontend. I already hate frontends ???. I have now decided that Mala is the one that I will try. Thankyou for this post and all the information on it. I am really boggled by all this software jargon but have managed to get Spystyles Arcade XP OS up and running and just about to bury my nose in this walkthrough and hopefully get Mala up and going.
Its your world, we just live in it!

DeDan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 27, 2023, 11:47:06 am
Hi everyone!   :D
Sorry if this is a stupid question or has been answered already.. it also might be too obvious to see..
Is there the option to run a pre command before mame and a post command in malafe?
I'm trying to start Marquee Magician with mame.. has anyone tried this app or something similar to display marquees on a second monitor?  that also works with malefe?
Thanks. Dan

Gonemad

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 27, 2017, 06:58:37 am
Re: Set-up: "How to" guide (install and configure emulators, plus Visual Pinball)
« Reply #92 on: September 10, 2015, 09:45:17 pm »
I have Mala setup running Mame and Daphne. Mame is running good but when I switch emus and choose a daphne game, instead of starting the game, daphne loader starts and I have to choose the game again from the gamelist in the daphne loader, requiring me to use the mouse to hit the start button. Anyone else have daphne configured ?

balajr38

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 27, 2015, 07:48:49 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Hello to everybody, I'm new in the forum and it's the first I ever written.  But you have helped me so much in my project, I would like to help others too.
Gonemad, if you haven't yet solved the problem, I can help I use .BAT files, to run Daphne in Mala.  Pardon my English. Its been a long time  I've been living in PR.