Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: HowTo Mod Guncon2 with Aimtraks  (Read 25781 times)

djvj

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 12, 2022, 02:39:36 pm
HowTo Mod Guncon2 with Aimtraks
« on: March 12, 2010, 01:41:38 am »
Here is the Yobo Guncon2 after unpacking it. Notice the screw marked as short. When you are putting it back together, if you put a long screw in this hole, it  will break through the other side.

Dismantle

Remove all the visible screws, including the big ones in the grip. There are 3 small screws under it. You will need to use a tiny flathead screwdriver to pry the ribbed grip from the rest of the body. It should now separate easily showing the inside.

Remove all the internals.

Painting

Now it's time to paint your guns whatever color(s) you like. I used 2-3 coats of Krylon Plastic Spray Paint then 2 coats of Krylon Crystal Clear. I must admit that I am not happy with the 'feel' of the clear coat. It feels a little sticky in your hand after you hold it for a minute. Also Plastic paint is supposed to have an adhesive in it to help bond to plastic, yet this stuff seems to chip off pretty easily. You may want to research a better paint.

Make sure you do even strokes of paint 8-12" from the gun. Never start spraying over the gun and end spraying after you pass the gun. If you get any paint in the part where the trigger swivels, this needs to be scraped off, it will not allow the trigger to spring back after pressed.

I would let the guns sit for at least 24-48 hours for the final coat to harden. Once you are ready to start wiring, I suggest using a cloth or old t-shirt to rest the guns on to do your work, anything else can damage your paint job. I learned the hard way on my blue gun.

Wiring

This is your choice, but I wired the d-pad, bottom button, trigger, button under trigger, and the spring-loaded button to the Aimtrak. So the rest of this guide is assuming you do the same.

Start with removing all the wires from the buttons and d-pad by heating the solder and pulling the wires out. The wires on the pcbs can be cut.

I desoldered the 5 holes on the d-pad to allow easy insertion of my wires. It's not necessary but I don't like the solder that was used from the manufacturer. It need a lot more heat to melt then normal resin core solder.

You need to cut enough 30-AWG Kynar wire (from Radio Shack) to go from the tip of the gun's barrel to the d-pad. You need 4 of these. It doesn't matter what buttons you solder to what hole on the Aimtrak, this will be configured in software. I did P1-P4. P5's length should be able to go from the tip of the gun all the way down to the bottom switch.

I used a green wire to show the common that we will use for these buttons. The green wire needs to reach to the bottom button. If you want to connect the motor for trigger feedback, cut another length of wire and connect it to the 5v line on the Aimtrak as shown in pic11 below. Make all the connections you see in the below pic and set aside.

I used a hobby knife to score the barrel in 3 areas so the Aimtrak sits nicely in the barrel. Notice the tip is not scored all the way through as to not see it from the outside.

Now place the Aimtrak in the barrel and the wires should be ran as seen below. Use some hot glue so the wires are held in place. The d-pad can be placed back in its slot. I also used some hot glue to keep the d-pad wires from moving and breaking off from use over time.

Wire P5 from the Aimtrak to the bottom switch, also connect your common from the d-pad to it like shown below.

Take the 4-pin cable that came with your Aimtrak (you can plug this into your Aimtrak now if you want) and cut/solder one of the commons to the button as shown below.

Place the bottom button in the gun.

Place the Motor back in the gun and remove the wire that was on the middle pin of the switch, this wire is not long enough to reach the trigger switch so solder a new one the length of the gun. This switch is to allow the user to turn off the feedback when needed. The red 5v line should be spliced with  the black wire from the motor. I suggest using heat shrink on all splices to avoid any shorts. Place the switch back in the gun.

Next is the spring loaded button, I have this running in parallel with the button below the trigger. This is so you can use either button to reload your ammo in games.

Cut the 2nd common wire from the 4-pin Aimtrak cable and solder it to the button like shown.

Now take the AUX wire from the Aimtrak 4-pin cable and solder it to the other side of the button.

Cut 2 more wires (I used the same color to not confuse) long enough to reach the reload button below the trigger. Now solder them to the button. Be very careful to angle the wires when soldering like I did. You will have trouble closing the gun and will cause too much friction in the spring-loaded reload from sliding smoothly. If you have this problem with sliding, this is your cause.

Place the button in the gun. The angled wires should be pointing down toward the body of the gun. Make sure you run the wires and hot glue them down similar to how I did to avoid them getting pinched anywhere.

This next part is up to how you want to go about it. The included USB cable with the Aimtrak has no way strain-relief. So we must address this now. My choice was to splice the Guncon2's USB cable with the one included with the Aimtrak. I cut away the 2nd Playstation cable so only the USB cable remains.

If you choose to do the same, cut the Aimtrak's USB cable so the wires will be long enough to be spliced above the motor inside the handle of the gun. I had to tone out the pins of both USB cables to match up the colors. When you cut the cables, if the colors match the pic below, then match them up like I did. The Guncon2's cable is on the left, and the mini-USB end is on the right. If you have trouble splicing the ground (solder doesn't like to stick to it), use a crimp splice.

After all my splices were done, I used some more heat shrink to keep it all tidy.

Position the USB cable like shown.

Place your plastic back on the 2 switches.

Hot glue down your Aimtrak, I used glue on both sides.

Place the 3 side buttons back in the gun.

Place the trigger back in with it's spring.

This is the old pcb. The 4 points shown are for the trigger switch and where we will place the last set of wires. For now screw it back into the gun.

Solder the AUX wire (coming from the button in pic22) to the top point as shown (it's orange in my pic because I ran out of yellow and had to splice it as you can see). The brown wire is the common which goes to the old pcb you just screwed back in.

The remaining wires get soldered to the trigger switch. The red kynar wire is coming from the switch at the bottom of the gun, this provides the motor feedback when pulling the trigger. The orange wire is coming from the TRIGGER from the 4-pin Aimtrak cable. The grey wire is the common from the 4-pin Aimtrak cable. The brown wire is the common coming from the reload switch below the trigger. Hope this isn't too confusing for you ;). I spliced the commons like this cause to avoid too much clutter, you can see they are joined by the housing of the button on the other side of the pcb.

Hot glue all the wires down and place the plastic buttons in position. I scraped off paint where the bottom button swivels, else it will be sticky after reassembling.

Place the spring and the bottom half reload plastic in place.

Lastly, put the top half of the gun back on. You may need to use something small to hold the spring back while putting the top half on. Don't forget to hold the last side button in place too! This can be tricky.

It's a good idea before you put any screws in to test all your buttons and make sure everything moves nicely. If things don't spring back nicely, check to make sure it's not paint inhibiting movement.

This is how the Aimtrak should look from the front.

Complete, be proud!

« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 12:48:11 pm by djvj »
"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music."

HowTo mod GunCon2 with Aimtraks

zaktallica

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 18, 2019, 07:44:21 pm
Re: HowTo Mod Guncon2 with Aimtraks
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2010, 02:52:00 am »
SO the real question is if I send you some guncons and aim tracks can you do this for me? lol.. Even with this guide I have no solder skills or a solder gun

Encryptor

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 21, 2023, 08:01:18 pm
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2010, 05:25:54 am »
I bought 2 Guncon2's that came with Time Crisis and mine didn't have the motor or removable grips. Are yours newer or older versions?

Encryptor

djvj

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2010, 12:33:44 pm »
SO the real question is if I send you some guncons and aim tracks can you do this for me? lol.. Even with this guide I have no solder skills or a solder gun

Sorry, the point of the guide was to help those out wanting to try it but might not grasp it all, not to offer my services. Also it was hard enough to find the time to make these with my 11-month old daughter as it is.

You don't need very good solder skills, this is not a modchip. It's basic soldering on very big solder points.

I bought 2 Guncon2's that came with Time Crisis and mine didn't have the motor or removable grips. Are yours newer or older versions?

Encryptor

I used Yobo brand guns, found them on ebay for cheap. I read some people prefer for Namco models. Not sure why, you are ripping out the guts anyway and a button is just a button, work all the same. These feel very good in your hand and with the motor, have decent weight, without being too heavy.

Now that you mentioned the Namco ones didn't have a motor, I'm happy I picked these. I wasn't aware of that until now.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270532289331&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_2763wt_1165

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music."

Encryptor

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 21, 2023, 08:01:18 pm
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2010, 01:24:40 pm »
That would be why. Thanks for the link and the info.

Encryptor

DeLuSioNal29

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 20, 2023, 11:39:06 pm
  • Build the impossible -"There is no Spoon"
    • DeLuSioNaL's YouTube Videos
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2010, 04:49:14 pm »
Nice job.  I have the Namco Guncon2.  Whenever I get time I need to mod it.  Thanks for the tip.  Sounds like it will be a breeze.

For the paint, I was thinking of going with Krylon.  I think they have a version that bonds to plastic.  http://www.krylon.com/products/fusion_for_plastic/

Again, great job!

D
Stop by my Youtube channel and leave a comment:

djvj

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2010, 10:15:55 pm »
Nice job.  I have the Namco Guncon2.  Whenever I get time I need to mod it.  Thanks for the tip.  Sounds like it will be a breeze.

For the paint, I was thinking of going with Krylon.  I think they have a version that bonds to plastic.  http://www.krylon.com/products/fusion_for_plastic/

Again, great job!

D

Thanks. That's the paint I used and it comes off easily still. The Crystal Clear also has that sticky feel. Just want to forewarn you.

DeLuSioNal29

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2010, 11:45:56 pm »
I need to read more closely.  You are correct.  I remember reading that the problem was solved with Testor's spray enamel based paint.  Doesn't come off.  Draken (from Hyperspin and BYOAC forums) is building them for people and he uses that which works well.

D

djvj

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2010, 02:54:54 am »
I wonder if I can put a coat of clear on it to help with the sticky feeling. I wouldn't mind taking apart the guns again to make them feel better.

http://www.testors.com/product/136012/1260/_/Dullcote_Lacquer_-_3_oz._Spray_Can

If anybody tries this clear coat, let me know how it feels please.

Dannymh

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 23, 2011, 05:09:54 pm
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2010, 10:10:54 pm »
want want want want want want want want want...they look great....oh how i wish i had the solder skills to pull this off.

nox771

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 14, 2011, 08:50:12 am
    • rewiredgear
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2010, 08:24:28 pm »
For painting plastic you could try using Vinyl Dye.  I've painted bezels before and got decent results.  It's not exactly like paint, it soaks into the plastic so it won't chip off.

Here is a link w/pics from someone who modded some PC components: http://case-mods.linear1.org/im-high-on-vinyl-dye/

I believe I got a spray can from a local HD or Ace Hardware, but you can also find it at auto part stores.

djvj

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2010, 09:04:35 pm »
Thanks, if I ever have to repaint I will try that stuff. I would have to somehow get all the acrylic paint off first though.

Goatz18

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 06, 2021, 06:53:51 pm
  • The Bringer of Destruction and Doom!
    • Arcade Project Alpha
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2010, 07:13:22 pm »
So technically, if the solder points on the D-pad and pcb for the trigger and buttons on the Guncon look good, one could just cut the existing wires and crimp them to the wires on the wire harness that comes with the Aimtrak for the trigger and aux button, no? For the other P1 to P5 switches some soldering would be required on the Aimtrak pcb, but that's it. But if this is the case, would the existing wires not be ideal to utilize as I notice you replaced them with 30-AWG Kynar wire from Radioshack, or should they work fine?

bkenobi

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 16, 2021, 10:41:52 pm
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2010, 10:25:02 pm »
Crimping is sub-par when compared to soldering.  BUT, if you really want to save a couple solder points at the expense of more work and less reliability, it should work.

Goatz18

• Offline Offline
    • Arcade Project Alpha
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2010, 11:12:43 pm »
Crimping is sub-par when compared to soldering.  BUT, if you really want to save a couple solder points at the expense of more work and less reliability, it should work.

Well of course I'd solder them all if I was doing the P's as well as trigger and aux, but I just need a trigger and reload and don't feel like borrowing, I don't own one, a solder gun. But I haven't opened up my guncons yet to scope out if I may want to take the extra soldering step and go all out connecting all the buttons and a D-Pad. Thanks for the quick response.

severdhed

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 07, 2022, 04:45:32 pm
  • RIP Dinosaur Hippo
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2010, 10:49:32 am »
just so you know, you can pick up a cheap soldering iron for around $10 at walmart or radio shack.  they are not professional grade units, but they are more than sufficient for things like this.  i have installed dozens of xbox mod chips using a $10 soldering iron i got at walmart.  soldering is much easier than it sounds, and it is a very handy thing to have
Current Projects:      Zak-Man | TMNT Pedestal | SNES Pi | N64 Odroid
Former Projects:     4 Player Showcase | Donkey Kong | iCade

bkenobi

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 16, 2021, 10:41:52 pm
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2010, 12:23:24 pm »
$10 for the solder iron...but don't forget the $$$ solder!   ;D

solder iron (there are several available, I don't know the difference ATM):
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062758

solder:
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2036305

I recommend a solder remover as well since it's easier than desoldering wick.  It's not required, but if you do more than one or two projects, it's really nice to have.
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062731
« Last Edit: July 16, 2010, 12:29:31 pm by bkenobi »

Goatz18

• Offline Offline
    • Arcade Project Alpha
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2010, 12:48:28 am »
$10 for the solder iron...but don't forget the $$$ solder!   ;D

solder iron (there are several available, I don't know the difference ATM):
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062758

solder:
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2036305

I recommend a solder remover as well since it's easier than desoldering wick.  It's not required, but if you do more than one or two projects, it's really nice to have.
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062731

You are a wise man. I shall become a solder master.

Donkbaca

• Our reptillian overlords would be pleased
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 09, 2012, 06:28:10 pm
    • Slim built MAME/Xbox cab
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2010, 06:03:40 pm »
I just got my Yobo's and aimtracks in, great, great post.  The only question I have is hooking up the motor.  You said in you post that you hook them up to the 5v on the aimtrak, where exactly is this?  I am a little confused.  Could you post more detail on hooking the motor up?

Thanks!

mrtuesday42

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 03, 2011, 09:12:33 pm
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2010, 07:27:38 pm »
damn. i got the namco and no motor :(

nice tut man, i was actually wondering how easy this would be if my guncon wont work with mame :D

im glad someone else mentioned vinyl dye, krylon fusion is pretty similar i think as well, but vinyl dye is what you want. it chemically alters the paint/adheres so its much better for paint you have to touch.

Donkbaca

• Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2010, 01:20:03 am »
Ok,looking back at your pictures. Is the 5v on the aimtrack the hole on the pcb that says P3 on it?

Donkbaca

• Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2010, 11:36:40 am »
Just wanted to bump this thread, this was my first time ever soldering anything, and it turned out great thanks to your super tutorial.  Mad props!

Vebbo

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 22, 2015, 01:35:18 pm
    • Overaged Lucky Drivers
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2010, 09:36:27 am »
Great tutorial, will try this if i buy guns for my cab!   :applaud:
Vebbo
I was elected to lead, not to read!

Vebbo turning x-men cab to custom 1942 cab

Donkbaca

• Offline Offline
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2010, 01:25:19 pm »
I got the guns from vpgames.com.  They have them for $5.85 each, plus 6 bucks shipping.  TOTALLY, TOTALLY worth it

Blyths

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 29, 2013, 12:00:10 pm
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2010, 05:35:45 am »
Just so people are aware, the G Con 2 guns from E bay for us UK based, are not the same as these YOBO guns.

Goto to Hyperspin and follow Drakins guide which is the same gun and very easy to follow and shows you how to wire the trigger and bottom button.

PS If you keep looking through later posts, its shows you how to wire the D Pad and side buttons.

DeLuSioNal29

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2011, 02:37:13 am »
Ok,looking back at your pictures. Is the 5v on the aimtrack the hole on the pcb that says P3 on it?
So is this the case?  How did you hook yours up?

Donkbaca

• Offline Offline
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2011, 08:48:57 am »
Yup, talked to Andy and he said that 5v is available from that place on the pcb

mike boss

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 22, 2021, 01:19:45 pm
« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2011, 04:49:41 pm »
Anyone have (or seen) a tutorial like this for the GunCon 2 ?

Donkbaca

• Offline Offline
« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2011, 04:57:46 pm »
take it apart and post pictures and I can probably tell you what to do.

mike boss

• Offline Offline
« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2011, 07:57:53 pm »
Cool thanks.
I'm sure its very close, I just dont want to muck anything up.
I counted the buttons on the GunCon2, 6 including trigger. ( + D-pad)
I think the above mod has less ?
Really all I need is the D-pad and trigger I'd think ?
Then I was thinking map the credit to one of the buttons ?
Any suggestions ?

mike boss

• Offline Offline
« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2011, 04:58:37 pm »
Opinion question :

Picked up a pair of GunCon2 this week.
Ordered my Aim Traks today.

Going with a multi emulator set up and MaLa as the fontend.

Thinking to wire the trigger (B1),bottom of the handle (B2), and the D-pad so the cabinet user can navigate MaLa.
Am I forgetting something ?

Donkbaca

• Offline Offline
« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2011, 05:31:00 pm »
You will have trigger and aux, I wired my trigger to trigger and aux to the button on the bottom of the gun.  Then you have 5 other inputs on the 5 pin connector (which is a PAIN to solder to)  You can solder the 4 directions on the dpad and then solder the last connection to your credit button.

Sir Headless VII

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 30, 2017, 02:04:52 pm
« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2011, 08:00:42 pm »
If you don't wan to solder to the 5 pin connector you can order This Connector and This Contact and some wire. You can Also get pre-crimped wires which might be a better idea since I am having a bit of trouble crimping them and getting them to stay. All that said I ordered those things and they seem to fit but my guns aren't together yet so i cant be 100% they will work.

DeLuSioNal29

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2011, 10:39:33 pm »
So I was experimenting with painting and decided to go with Black for mine (I'll post pics once I'm done).  However, in the meantime, I painted my buddy's Guncon Silver with Red buttons and here's how it came out - He still needs to gut it and put the Aimtrak in.  I'll leave that for him to do   ;D.  I am using Vinyl Dye for everything.  That stuff is great and there is no stickiness or flaking.  It just takes a while for the strong smell to go away.  Highly worth it though.

DeLuSioNaL29
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 10:43:08 pm by DeLuSioNal29 »

Sir Headless VII

• Offline Offline
« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2011, 08:17:12 pm »
That looks pretty cool, I should have used vinyl dye. I have been following this guide and am not pretty much finished but I wonder if I couldn't use the extra wires in the cable (to go to a playstation connector) to wire up the other buttons to my ipac. I realize there is little practical reason to hook up so many buttons but I really just want to do it to see if I can. So I have a couple questions for you guys:

1) Does a button like the one on the board in the picture below generally have a polarity (ie required side as ground)?

2) If I am hooking them up to the ipac is it ok to daisy chain the ground to the aimtracks ground or do i have to hook it up to the ipac ground? Would it be ok to have them connected to both?
3) Is there some other reason I can't do this?

Sir Headless VII

• Offline Offline
« Reply #35 on: March 12, 2011, 10:41:08 pm »
Ok I have answered my own question with the button polarity. They all appear to have a common ground point. That should make actually hooking them up pretty easy. I am going to assume I need to hook them up to the ipac's ground but there isnt any reason it cant also be attached to the ground of the aimtrack is there?

johnd23

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 11, 2023, 12:57:59 am
« Reply #36 on: March 13, 2011, 04:14:01 pm »
djvj, i followed your tutorial for modding my yobo guns except i only hooked up trigger and aux. I also hooked up the motor. When i use the switch to shut off the motor, my trigger button will usually stick. Like it will create a selection box on my desktop and never let go no matter how many times i press the trigger. Soon as i turn the motor on, everything works fine.

I took trigger and one of the commons from the aimtrack and attached it to the trigger button on the pcb.
Aux and the other common connects to the pump button below the barrel.
I connected the 5 volt from the aimtrack to the black wire coming out of the motor.
The red wire from the motor i left connected to the bottom motor switch end pin it was originally soldered to.
I connected the middle button from the motor switch to the same contact point that the trigger from the aimtrack is connected to.

Am i missing something somewhere?

As a side note, when the motor is on and gun is held vertical it lightly vibrates. If i tilt the gun on its side, it stops. I guess i gotta readjust the motor?

Sir Headless VII

• Offline Offline
« Reply #37 on: March 14, 2011, 12:37:03 am »
It sounds like your aimtrack trigger wire is only making contact with the switch and not the trigger button. Open it up and check continuity. Your steps sound right from my understanding (and how i set my project up). In realated news I thought I was done but then opened the guns back up to fix a sticky button and found out I had severed several wires with one of the screws. Damn tiny little 30 awg wires getting everywhere.

johnd23

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 11, 2023, 12:57:59 am
« Reply #38 on: March 14, 2011, 11:22:55 pm »
I got my issue corrected, i think it was bad solder joint on the trigger switch. I removed all the solder and re soldered it and now all is fine. I also cleaned up the leftover solder from removing the extra wires no longer needed on the pcb.

mike boss

• Offline Offline
« Reply #39 on: March 26, 2011, 02:03:38 pm »
I'm looking forward to starting this soon. All my parts are in and ready to go.
I've read the tutorial several times and feel good about it.
I've decided to use the GunCon 2 which I have and only wire TRIGGER / AUX / D-PAD (no credit button).