Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Electrical connections AC (L) and AC (N) -- What have I gotten myself into?  (Read 90770 times)

1UP

• Token Junkie
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 11, 2014, 01:37:18 am
  • Yes, that is a joystick in my pocket.
    • 1UPArcade
So I am starting to test my Happ recoil solenoid board that came with the arcade gun kit I bought a few years back.  The kit came with several different harnesses for connecting the guns, the game board, and the power for the board from the power supply.  I've sorted out where everything needs to go, but nothing was provided for the 120V connection INTO the power supply--it was meant to come from the cabinet's power!  Being a Mame machine, needless to say It doesn't have the same connections an arcade machine would.

The power supply has a number of screw terminals, labeled AC(N), AC(L), FG, three GND terminals, and two +24V for the recoil board(s).  So I have the recoil power harness connected to one of the +24V and one of the GND terminals.  Can I just connect a cut-off extension cord to the AC(N) and (L) terminals, and does polarity matter?  I assume they mean Live and Neutral, but I want to be sure.

I hope someone out there has the answer, just don't want to get killed trying to upgrade my cab...   :o

Edit--I'm also wondering if I should use a 3-prong connector and whether the FG (marked with a ground symbol) would be the place to connect the third prong.  This is already connected to the metal chassis of the supply.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 01:58:34 am by 1UP »

Free resource for building your own rotating control panels!

My other job...

kop

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 06, 2011, 04:30:51 am
The power supply has a number of screw terminals, labeled AC(N), AC(L), FG, three GND terminals, and two +24V for the recoil board(s).  So I have the recoil power harness connected to one of the +24V and one of the GND terminals.  Can I just connect a cut-off extension cord to the AC(N) and (L) terminals, and does polarity matter?  I assume they mean Live and Neutral, but I want to be sure.

You are correct.  "N" and "L" are neutral and live.  The polarity does matter.  Normally when stripping extension cords the Live wire will be red or brown and the neutral will be blue or black (where I live anyway)  Don't mix them up.

Edit--I'm also wondering if I should use a 3-prong connector and whether the FG (marked with a ground symbol) would be the place to connect the third prong.  This is already connected to the metal chassis of the supply.

A 3 prong connector should always be used when something has a metal casing.  It stops the metal casing from going live if something goes wrong.  You are right.  Connect the 3rd earth wire to the FG point.

Hope this helps.  :)

1UP

• Token Junkie
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 11, 2014, 01:37:18 am
  • Yes, that is a joystick in my pocket.
    • 1UPArcade
Thanks, that was just the news I wanted to hear!  Looks like this might actually be the easiest part of the project.

Free resource for building your own rotating control panels!

My other job...

TEKNYNE

• Trade Count: (0)
Just saw you are in the states 1UP just a couple points to keep every one safe, White is the Nuetral (N) wire,  Black and/or Red will be the LINE  (L) also called HOT so dont get shocked, Green wire in 120 volts plus is always ground (G). I would use a grounded plug for sure also.

Have fun

TEKNYNE
« Last Edit: March 02, 2010, 01:48:43 am by TEKNYNE »