Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Guncon 2 solder points  (Read 3357 times)

gman314

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 02, 2013, 03:12:39 pm
Guncon 2 solder points
« on: January 26, 2010, 04:49:07 pm »
I am soldering a Guncon 2 for use with my AimTrak.  I already soldered the trigger to the proper point (along with the ground).  My question is:  For my aux button, if I solder the down directional button to its proper solder point (I believe it is labeled R16), do I also have to solder an additional ground wire to some other point?  If so, then where would I solder it to?

Deadly

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 28, 2021, 02:55:25 am
Re: Guncon 2 solder points
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2010, 07:00:36 pm »
I am soldering a Guncon 2 for use with my AimTrak.  I already soldered the trigger to the proper point (along with the ground).  My question is:  For my aux button, if I solder the down directional button to its proper solder point (I believe it is labeled R16), do I also have to solder an additional ground wire to some other point?  If so, then where would I solder it to?

Every sensor requires it's own ground. You can share a ground with either of the two default buttons.

Dazz

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 30, 2024, 10:34:39 am
  • HyperSpin Team
    • VPUniverse
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2010, 04:08:20 am »

Every sensor requires it's own ground. You can share a ground with either of the two default buttons.
Actually, this isn't true.  All of the buttons on the Guncon 2's have a common ground already.  There is no need to solder any more ground wires with the exception of 1. 

On my Guncon's I have all inputs working.  Check out in regards to wiring up all the additional inputs.

I have the following soldered into my AimTrak using the wiring harness and also inputs P1-P5

Trigger - from Wiring Harness
Aux - bottom button - From Wiring Harness
D-Pad Up
D-Pad Down
D-Pad Left
D-Pad Right
and wired both of the side buttons to act as 1 button.

Deadly

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 28, 2021, 02:55:25 am
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2010, 01:13:41 pm »

Actually, this isn't true.  All of the buttons on the Guncon 2's have a common ground already.  There is no need to solder any more ground wires with the exception of 1. 

On my Guncon's I have all inputs working.  Check out in regards to wiring up all the additional inputs.

I have the following soldered into my AimTrak using the wiring harness and also inputs P1-P5

D-Pad Up
D-Pad Down
D-Pad Left
D-Pad Right

While this may be true with the NAMCO Guncon2 it doesn't hold true for all guns. Unfortunately the term Guncon2 is used generically and some guns do indeed need a ground added to the switch/switches. Mind happens to be one of them. Without pictures from the OP to confirm exactly what gun he's using we don't know exactly what he needs heh
« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 01:16:35 pm by Deadly »

northerngames

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 09, 2016, 04:18:51 pm
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2010, 01:37:33 pm »
I am soldering a Guncon 2 for use with my AimTrak.  I already soldered the trigger to the proper point (along with the ground).  My question is:  For my aux button, if I solder the down directional button to its proper solder point (I believe it is labeled R16), do I also have to solder an additional ground wire to some other point?  If so, then where would I solder it to?

Actually, this isn't true.  All of the buttons on the Guncon 2's have a common ground already.  There is no need to solder any more ground wires with the exception of 1.  

On my Guncon's I have all inputs working.  Check out in regards to wiring up all the additional inputs.

D-Pad Up
D-Pad Down
D-Pad Left
D-Pad Right

and you used a common ground for all of the above signals on the aimtrak correct?

I have p1, reload & trigger using the same ground off the trigger's cherry switch ground/com as a common ground for all signals.

there is different make's and manufacture's of the guncons though wich some guts may differ from one to another becuase they were manufactured different place's and their is 3rd party look alike's out there also so they would more then likely differ guts wise from the official versions.

« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 01:43:13 pm by northerngames »

Dazz

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 30, 2024, 10:34:39 am
  • HyperSpin Team
    • VPUniverse
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2010, 03:02:27 pm »
While this may be true with the NAMCO Guncon2 it doesn't hold true for all guns. Unfortunately the term Guncon2 is used generically and some guns do indeed need a ground added to the switch/switches. Mind happens to be one of them. Without pictures from the OP to confirm exactly what gun he's using we don't know exactly what he needs heh
Yeah, I guess you're right... I thought the term "Guncon2" was specific to the NAMCO guns.  I've never used any of the other branded ones, so I'm not familiar with them.  However, the Official NAMCO Guncon2's have a common ground.

and you used a common ground for all of the above signals on the aimtrak correct?

I have p1, reload & trigger using the same ground off the trigger's cherry switch ground/com as a common ground for all signals.

there is different make's and manufacture's of the guncons though wich some guts may differ from one to another becuase they were manufactured different place's and their is 3rd party look alike's out there also so they would more then likely differ guts wise from the official versions.
Yes, the only ground that I have soldered is to the same that the trigger switch and all inputs work correctly.

gman314

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2010, 10:27:38 pm »
So, I'm assuming this means that I merely have to solder my aux wire to one of the d-pad's solder points (without having to solder an additional ground).  Correct?  And yes, it is a NAMCO Guncon2.  I also was unaware that there were non-namco Guncon 2s.  Thanks.

gman314

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2010, 01:03:30 am »
So, I soldered the right d-pad button to the R-19 solder point, but it is not registering in windows.  I believe, however, that this is due to the fact that I am pretty terrible at soldering.  I will make one last ditch attempt though.  This time I will try to connect the "A" button on the gun's left side.  There are two different solder points that are close to that button (One is labeled "1" and the other is labeled "2").  Does anyone know which one that I need to solder my aux wire to?  By the way, I'm assuming that no additional ground connection is necessary?  My trigger switch works fine, by the way.  I am confused though  :dunno