Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: My current skin  (Read 7330 times)

Dermbrian

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 19, 2024, 05:05:16 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
My current skin
« on: February 24, 2010, 01:37:05 am »
I've been playing around some more trying to build basic touchscreen skin with buttons that reserves a substantial amount of screen space for a photo.  A family photo, a holiday (Easter, St Pat's, Christmas) photo, a hobby (vintage radios...) photo, an Olympics or other big sporting event photo.  The photo is part of the .bmp background image, so it can be deleted easily and a new one pasted in using just Microsoft paint.  Get the picture?

My main problem is that I run Vista, so I have to run dwjukebox in a window, with a specific aspect ratio, to get the touchscreen functionality to 'kind of' work.  See my other post on the topic.  The bottom line is that this skin works on my computer, but the images wouldn't line up correctly if I just used a standard aspect ratio, so I can't really release this once I'm happy with it.  But I think the idea is good and maybe someone else might consider making something like this for use on an XP touchscreen in a 16:9 or 4:3 aspect ratio.

I plan on changing the four 'scooter' related buttons (volume down, up and page previous, next) to something more generic and tasteful at this point.  My jukebox PC sits atop our television entertainment center, so I'm trying to make the interface attractive but not distracting.

Comments welcome.

Brian

Chris

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 21, 2019, 04:59:49 pm
    • Chris's MAME Cabinet
Re: My current skin
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2010, 01:52:36 pm »
One interesting thing you could do with it, with DWJukebox 3.4 or higher, is have it alternate between two different pictures using the new User Timers feature.  To do that, you'd add both pictures as JPG files to the skin folder (or just add the new one and leave the other on the background), and add a new "icon" for that picture that respons to a user message.  Finally, add a timer to drive the user message.

I don't have your skin file, so all of my icon numbers, dimensions and locations are random guesses, so please edit to match reality.  :)

Code: [Select]
[Icon16]
x=0
y=0
w=1432
h=624
Clickable=False
Action=MSG_USER_1
OnImage=pic1.jpg
OffImage=pic2.jpg

[Timer1]

#Intervals are measured in hundredths of a second
#So 30000=5 minutes
Interval=30000

# Autostart defines whether the timer starts when the jukebox starts
AutoStart=yes

# Repeat determines whether the timer automatically repeats, or repeats a set number of times
Repeat=Auto

# OnStart, OnRepeat, OnEnd and OnStop are the messages that are sent at the beginning and end of a timer run.

OnRepeat=MSG_USER_1
OnRepeatToggle=True

--Chris
DOSCab/WinCab Jukebox: http://www.dwjukebox.com

Dermbrian

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 19, 2024, 05:05:16 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: My current skin
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2010, 02:52:24 pm »
Chris, I tried your technique of having timers alternate between two different pictures in my skin.  Right now, I have this image alternating with a shot of the cast of the AMC show "Mad Men" every couple of minutes. 

Like I discuss elsewhere, I'm moving away from the touchscreen (which does not work under Windows 7) and back to selecting songs with the keyboard.  I haven't built a cabinet...and maybe never will.  But I like the idea of actually owning an old-fashioned electromechanical jukebox, even if it's a PC on top of our TV's entertainment center, thanks to Chris's software.  Actually, with my large library of ripped LP's, it's better than having a real jukebox. 

I use AlbumPlayer when I want to play something in particular, but I use DWJukebox a lot because I also like looking over my music presented as "singles" and seeing what I feel like listening to from that.

The picture was taken at dinner on a gulf cruise.  I really like this skin I've created that allows that kind of personalization of the interface.  I call the skin "PhotoSkin"....

Brian