Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: First Project- San Jose Sharks  (Read 11023 times)

tjterrill

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 01, 2012, 08:26:23 pm
Re: First Project- San Jose Sharks
« Reply #40 on: July 01, 2011, 10:39:27 pm »
More progress made today after a great trip to Home Depot.

Picked up the primer and paint, a new sander, and a bunch of other stuff to get the project rolling.

Got a new Ryobi sander.
Paint wise I got the bullseye 1-2-3 primer as recommended on the forums, and some satin black paint for the top coat. Foam rollers and trays as well.

I never really looked at the coin door till today, but it's in great, near perfect condition. I bought some Rustoleum hammered black spray, but I dont know if I'll even need it really. I would like to figure out how to have the tokens inserted register the credits within the emulator. I know I have seen it on here before, I just don't remember where.

So first I needed to sand it down, to get the grit off of the pressboard.

Once it was a smoothed over with 60 grit, it was such a huge difference! Much smoother. After that it was onto priming.

Looks great, and this is most progress I have made since i bought the cab over a year ago!

Tomorrow I will sand, and paint again :)
« Last Edit: July 01, 2011, 11:21:25 pm by tjterrill »

tjterrill

• Offline Offline
« Reply #41 on: July 03, 2011, 12:17:07 am »
Got the PERFECT size CRT tv today for the cab! 25 inch tv for a 26 inch opening, and it's a perfect fit. Could not be happier as I have been looking for the right tv for a long time.  And for $20 it was a steal.

Now I'm just waiting for the s-video to component cable to get here so I can hook up the computer and see it in action.

Control panel parts are on the way.

It's only a matter of time.

tjterrill

• Offline Offline
« Reply #42 on: July 04, 2011, 10:35:04 pm »
Alrighty.

Heres a shot of the perfect sized TV:

With bezel on (that came with the machine)

Had to patch up that random hole that was cut in the cab. Luckily they put the part they cut, inside the machine. So with a little wood filler:

Rigged switches to the coin door, so when the release buttons are pressed, they will add the credits.

And finally, the base coats were all painted, and today I added the bottom white stripe. A thick teal strip will the be painted over this, replicating the jersey stripes:

tjterrill

• Offline Offline
« Reply #43 on: July 06, 2011, 02:55:53 pm »
More progress.

Got the cab entirely painted as of yesterday with the finishing of the team stripes. Now the wife is going to print me up some various logos, and sizes to see exactly which one we want to use for the side art. Once we decide, and get the vinyl logos printed, ill cover the entire unit with a clear coat/sealer.

Got the S-video cable in the mail this morning, got it hooked up and it worked great with the tv. Gotta play with some of the color settings, but display wise it looks great.

The big project now, is deciding which FE im going to use, and how im going to customize it. Opinions?

Now im just kinda waiting for my order from paradisearcadeshop.com to arrive, so I can get working on the control panel box.

Heres a couple pictures:

The paint color selection and matching was made a WHOLE lot easier when I found out the Glidden has an entire catalogue of professional sports teams, and their colors. Badda bing badda boom!

Stripes are painted and im pretty happy:

Nephasth

« Reply #44 on: July 06, 2011, 11:11:02 pm »
Lookin good. Nice score on the bezel working with the TV you put in it!

tjterrill

• Offline Offline
« Reply #45 on: July 08, 2011, 10:56:51 pm »
POLL TIME!!

So wifey printed me out a few different logos for the side art on their blueprint printer at work. Black and white on paper just to proof each one on design and size, then once we pick "the one", we'll print it on adhesive vinyl.

The Fin:

The Crest:

Main logo:

And here she is with her new white t-molding!

So what do you think?

Nephasth

« Reply #46 on: July 08, 2011, 11:23:55 pm »
Nay on the fin. The other two are 50/50.

kingchimp

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 17, 2023, 08:59:20 am
« Reply #47 on: July 09, 2011, 05:55:28 am »
I'm not a huge fan of the fin either, I think #3 just edges out #2 for me.

emphatic

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 02:38:52 pm
  • -"Suck it, Donny!" -"No, YOU suck it.... more".
    • Emphatic's Video Game Collection
« Reply #48 on: July 10, 2011, 07:12:34 am »
I like the fin, but I would put it lower so the corner to the right is the same height as the bottom of the control box space. Nice score on the TV.  :cheers:

tjterrill

• Offline Offline
« Reply #49 on: July 11, 2011, 10:32:23 pm »
So. I agreed with everyone else on using the main Shark logo, until I realized that I had one more option.

The full Shark logo thats actually on the Black Armor jersey, that im designing this cab after. The hard part I thought, would be finding a high enough res image to print it out in good quality. Then after extensive google'ing I got a fantastic tip for getting vector sports logo. If you can find the teams media guides, the PDFS are created with vectored images. Sure enough, the Sharks had all their media guides posted on their website, and every logo in the guides were vectored, and ready to go! So Im getting that printed tomorrow.

Hit the coin door today with that Rustoleum hammered black spray and it looks fantastic! Very easy to accomplish.

Last but not least, I gotta say im pretty disappointed with Paradisearcadeshop.com. It took TWO WEEKS to just process the order and get it in the mail, when they had everything in stock. Now its been dropped off at a shipment center, and everything looks like it will get here on Thursday.

we'll see.

tjterrill

• Offline Offline
« Reply #50 on: July 18, 2011, 02:15:06 pm »
Made some progress over the weekend.

Wifey got the control panel layout printed at work on the blueprint machine. Got it attached to the board, and plexi, clamped and ready to drill.

Plexi and CP all drilled.

Top and rest of box come together.

And finally the side art was printed, and attached.

Dervacumen

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 13, 2019, 10:11:11 pm
  • Home of Three Squares dice game
    • Beaker Games
« Reply #51 on: July 18, 2011, 04:04:01 pm »
Big Sharks fan here.  That's a killer cabinet design.  I wonder if the CP background could be laid out like the ice at HP Pavillion?  It wouldn't be exactly to scale, but the sharks logo in the center, with the red and blue lines, maybe goal boxes at the ends.  I wouldn't put the advertiser logos, but you could make the artwork look like it was under ice, too.  Just a thought.
Bringing to life a child's imagination.

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 02, 2024, 07:42:30 pm
« Reply #52 on: July 18, 2011, 04:34:45 pm »
Lookin' good!  :applaud:

Donkbaca

• Our reptillian overlords would be pleased
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 09, 2012, 06:28:10 pm
    • Slim built MAME/Xbox cab
« Reply #53 on: July 18, 2011, 04:36:13 pm »
Hey, maybe that would be cool; layout the ice on the CP and then scuff up the bottom of the plexi or get opaque plexi, or some privacy film so that it looks like hazy ice..

tjterrill

• Offline Offline
« Reply #54 on: July 18, 2011, 06:28:54 pm »
Thanks guys.

Ya know, originally thats what I wanted to do. I was to have the rink laid on under the CP, But just after solidifying my theme more and more around the "Black Armor" jersey, I wanted to keep it simple and not get too hokey. (Heh, hokey/hockey) After seeing so many other cabs out there, I have just come to appreciate the "less is more" mantra, and keep it toned down a bit. At least for my personal taste.

But really, thanks for all the feedback guys! Its coming along, and should have it done in not too long.

Dervacumen

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 13, 2019, 10:11:11 pm
  • Home of Three Squares dice game
    • Beaker Games
« Reply #55 on: July 18, 2011, 08:22:59 pm »
I can appreciate that.  My first cab had a lot of graphics, the second was sparse.  I kinda like the sparse look too.  But c'mon!  It's the FRICKIN' SHARKS BABY!  JK.
Get me a job there and I'll finish your cabinet for you. :cheers:
Looks good.  I can't wait to check it out.
Bringing to life a child's imagination.

kingchimp

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 17, 2023, 08:59:20 am
« Reply #56 on: July 21, 2011, 07:34:33 am »
That side art look awesome! :applaud:

tjterrill

• Offline Offline
« Reply #57 on: August 10, 2011, 06:09:50 pm »
Ugh.

So it's 90% done, and playable. Just working on the finishing touches before I roll it out of the garage for photos and video.

However I'm having a HORRIBLE time trying to figure out and set up Mame. I have all the consoles up and running through max arcade, but can't get Mame to work if my life depended on it. I'm very new at it and attempting it for the first time, and i just can't it going.

Can anyone with some patience for a noob, please help me out?

Feel free to PM me or email me directly at tjterrill@gmail.com