Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: My humble attempt...AT A JUKE  (Read 11298 times)

Nacimroc

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 20, 2015, 03:46:25 pm
My humble attempt...AT A JUKE
« on: February 16, 2010, 04:57:24 pm »
So, after completing my arcade cab I was diagnosed with the "must be tinkering with something" disease. So I decided to build a juke. Wanted a nice shape and a bit of a challange so decided to make it curvy. I couldn't find anyones design to plagerise for a change so had to come up with my own*.  (* = subconsciously stole Ond's] ).

The biggest problem I had was the curves. The front needs to be strong enough to hold 3 speakers and a big ass sub so that bendable MDF I wasn't sure would be strong enough (aswell as the fact I couldn't get it anywhere). I ended up gluing and screwing 2 sheets of 3.5mm plywood and 2 sheets of 3mm hardboard together. It came out rock solid so will hopefully be strong enough.

I had 2 100w speakers + tweeters lying around and got a yamaha sub off a friend that allows passthrough. I had to chop the amplifier in 2 pieces to get it to fit. I'm also using one of those cheap little amps off fleabay aswell. The PC has to be a mini ITX board I bought. Only thing small enough to fit in and it just about does.

I'm at planning on laminating this in the next few days so should look good. I painted the elo 15'' touchscreen bezel black and speaker edges.

Questions I have are:

1. I'll have black everything, speakers, laminate, screen. What should I do to make it a bit more colourful. Blue LED's? Chrome edging etc?

2. The speakers will be mounted on the outside and I didn't get grills. Should I? Should I use some speaker mesh to cover them all/partially?

« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 08:47:35 pm by Nacimroc »

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 03:23:20 pm
Re: My humble attempt...AT A JUKE
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2010, 05:17:48 pm »
Damn you people have mad skills.  GREAT start - I love the curved design.  How are you going to laminate that thing?  I don't think you need to add a crazy amount of LEDs or anything (I like simplistic looks) but maybe you could add a ring or three around your speakers - I'd also go with grills depending on how they look.  Maybe some chrome grills with a blue LED ring around them?

Ond

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 18, 2024, 11:41:19 pm
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2010, 05:22:18 pm »
.... Wanted a nice shape and a bit of a challange so decided to make it curvy. I couldn't find anyones design to plagerise for a change so had to come up with my own. (I'm sure there are loads similar but I couldn't find any).....

*Scratches chin*  hmm this kind of reminds me of someones cab, some other mad bastard on here who is in to curves....name escapes me for the minute.

;D  Just kidding,  looks great!  For a surface finish laminate will look awsome I think.

:cheers:

Ond

Epyx

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 25, 2023, 07:56:36 pm
  • "You're an oddity"
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2010, 05:28:07 pm »
I agree...laminate will give it a great finish. Working with laminate has been awesome, so nice to not have to paint/sand/paint ad nauseum and get a pro finish in the process.

The juke looks familiar in the same way your cab did  ;D jk

In all seriousness your cab turned out awesome and this will as well I have no doubt.
Last Project

Epyx Tutorials:
Tutorials

dafelandry

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2012, 12:08:40 pm
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2010, 07:34:05 pm »
sweet!!! cant wait to see more!!

drventure

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 25, 2023, 02:23:57 pm
  • Laser Death Ray Bargain Bin! Make me an offer!
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2010, 07:37:22 pm »
It's the retro -future arcade's musically inclined little brother!

Very nice!

Nacimroc

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2010, 09:14:40 pm »
*Scratches chin*  hmm this kind of reminds me of someones cab, some other mad bastard on here who is in to curves....name escapes me for the minute.
 ;D  Just kidding,  looks great!  For a surface finish laminate will look awsome I think.

LMAO!!  ;D ;D  I see now where the inspiration came from. Obviously must have just looked at your thread before "designing" it!!  :laugh2: Subconsciously I want to be just like you when I grow up! lol!  

I did see a similar juke in the background of francos place.! He showed a pic last week and theres a machine in the background that you can make the side out.
Edit: found it! Its the machine on the right with the blue light. Would love a pic if possible please franco.

The blue rings around the lights are a good idea. I have some perforated metal speaker grill lying around that I'd love to use. The curves make everything so damn hard though.
I might put one of those small 6 LED blue lights shining from under the screen down onto the speakers similar to the cab I built. I like the look it gives and I've one spare.

I agree...laminate will give it a great finish. Working with laminate has been awesome, so nice to not have to paint/sand/paint ad nauseum and get a pro finish in the process.

If I was sent to hell tomorrow my worst fear would be a life of sanding. I absolutely hate it. Drives me mad for some reason. Thankfully I have laminate left over from my cab to finish this and hoping it won't crack.

« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 09:19:09 pm by Nacimroc »

Dizzle

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 09, 2014, 05:28:04 pm
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2010, 09:39:39 pm »
I love to see threads where people label their machines as "humble" and then when you take a peek, they're works of art!   :laugh2:

Real nice!  I really like the design!  :cheers: 

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 07:29:48 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2010, 08:18:49 am »
reminds me of computer space, very cool.
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

Nacimroc

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2010, 03:34:12 pm »
Thanks! A few more pics for you! Got superglue everywhere putting edging on so got to figure out how to remove that! Have to put a trimming around the screen edge yet and get a new intelliplug and amp which went on fire on me! One of those cheap ebay things! Turned it on and it went up like a match! Laminated now!

Protective cover still on the sides, but you get the idea! The sound is unreal! Can blow the roof of the garage! Just got to make a pot for volume now and a few trimmings! 

Epyx

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 25, 2023, 07:56:36 pm
  • "You're an oddity"
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2010, 03:58:43 pm »
Turned out awesome.  I like the pedestal design...nice space saving and just screams at being put in a guys basement!

Question...did you laminate the speaker side?
Last Project

Epyx Tutorials:
Tutorials

Nacimroc

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2010, 06:00:21 pm »
Thanks! It turned out pretty good! Ya, thats laminated! Very hard to notice the difference with a bad camera and its very smudged!

numbnutz48

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2017, 04:30:39 pm
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2011, 01:48:26 pm »
Just wandered acroos this thread and was wondering if you had any pictures of your complete/finished project?

Nacimroc

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2011, 11:08:49 pm »
Actually sold this not so long ago and the guy asked me to make it red to suit his room so changed speaker grille colours and skin colour. Had to install speaker grilles in the end due to kids poking their fingers in the speaker cones.  These are all the photos I have left of it. Hope it helps!

Dermbrian

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 19, 2024, 05:05:16 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2011, 11:51:17 am »
Actually sold this not so long ago

You *sold* your juke?  I'm trying to figure out how to get mine into the nursing home when they put me away in my decrepitude.  If I can't, I guarantee I'll have a netbook with the best headphones medicare can buy. 

Awesome design, well executed.  But where do you set down your drink?  :)

Brian

Nacimroc

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2011, 02:10:57 pm »
Thanks Brian. Its not possible to get too much praise  :lol :lol

I actually started a new one about a week ago. It will be slightly different with a much beefed up sound system and recessed speakers. Not going to try meet the sides with the screen again as it was far too difficult.  I will post a new thread in the next few days with pics!